View RSS Feed

GiantHaystacks

The Understandable Fickleness of the Modern Era Fan

Rate this Entry
Hi again all,

I don’t often write blogs or comment on many threads as I am customarily happy with reading the thoughts and views of others. However sometimes I actually get an idea/thought/argument in my head that I feel the need to narcissistically put in to words. By no means am I abdicating myself from the following critique, in all honesty I am perhaps as big a hypocrite as anyone on here. I really am not being detrimental to anyone on here, or criticizing anyone’s feelings or opinions. This is meant more of a generalization and observation based on what I read. If you think I’m talking out my arse then fair enough.

Perhaps call me arrogant or pretentious, but I honestly think that those of the IWC are the most significant of all wrestling fans. I say this as we are the ones logging on the internet sites, arguing on the forums, taking time to write blogs, arguing over whether a botch was in fact a botch or a work. In short we are the serious devotees that care about the product and content, not the profits…although this is probably why we don’t work in the industry…but that’s neither here nor there.

So, with that in mind, I’ll (finally) get to the point.

Due to recent events in the WWE, and more so the ever-continuing arguing on this site in forums, threads and comments on the bottom of the “Breaking News Stories”, it is incredibly apparent that, with a few exceptions, not many of us are happy with the current WWE product in the offing. Granted there are a few optimistic minds still out there, who still look forward to RAW and SD, who make a conscious effort not to look at the spoilers, who still stay up (here in the UK at least) to watch the PPV’s.

However, there are many more fans on here becoming disillusioned with the WWE, and I’m one of them. but there is also a hypocritical part of me that I will use the Royal Rumble as an example of. I didn’t stay up to watch it live, firstly I could think of better things to spend £15 on, and I am 30 years old with 2 children that works a 9-5 and cant face staying up til 4am to watch a product that chances are would disappoint. I did however watch yesterday and my first thought was how much I enjoyed it. I’ll summarize -

1. The Last Man Standing match (I thought) was good. The finish was dubious, but given that ADR has only been a face for a few weeks using a heel tactic isn’t the end of the world.

1. The tag Team title match was ok, it did the job for a TT defense.

1. The RR match itself was actually pretty good. Jericho at no.2 was the moment of the night for me, and there was a nice smattering of old faces we love to see (Godfather is still awesome). No surprises Cena won.

1. The WWE Championship match was good, it kept pace with the current Shield angle and made me feel all nostalgic to see the Rock with the strap.

So it’s apparent I enjoyed the RR, but I really didn’t if I am totally honest with myself. I enjoyed the matches themselves, but there was no substance to them. I’ll see if I can elaborate a little –

1. The Last Man Standing match (I thought) was good - I can’t like the two wrestlers involved. I can’t see the star power of ADR, I just can’t, there is just nothing to him. I get that he is quite impressive in the ring, but that’s about it. I prefer Ricardo by miles, just because there is something to like about him. Big Show should NOT be in the title picture anymore, enough said.

1. The tag Team title match was ok – but Kane and DB should not be the champions any more. Yes the whole Anger gimmick was hilarious at first, but I feel it has run its course. As for the Rhodes Scholars, I like them as a team, but as I am an advocate for tag teams wearing the same outfit this draws a negative for me... ;o)

1. The RR match itself was actually pretty good – And to be fair it was. But why the hell did Sheamus eliminate Ziggler?? having him and Jericho at one and two respectively was a great storyline ready to go. If they are going to feud (which looks likely) why not have Jericho eliminate Ziggler only for him to distract Jericho causing his elimination…simple but effective. And having Cena win was too predictable for words. Made the next match a shoe in…

1. The WWE Championship match was good – No it wasn’t. For me for the Rock to return (again) and win the belt needs to mean more. Their entire feud leading to the match lasted all of about ten minutes, the shield interfering was inevitable, and you KNEW as soon as Vince came out the Rock would win – if still had a hint of optimism of a swerve after Cena won the rumble!!

And this is the problem, I am a complete hypocrite when it comes to wrestling. I freely admit that 100%. I love it and I hate it. I enjoy the technical aspect, and the actual matches themselves, but then I also loath them. I both love the Rocks return and think it devalues the rest of the roster. I loved Punk as Champion but don’t personally like him as a heel. I actually really like Cena and his work rate/commitment to the company and various charities, but I am sick to death of him…

I could go on forever but that would be pointless. I don’t believe I will ever be happy with watching wrestling, to be able to watch a match or PPV and honestly say it was amazing. I want too much, I want what isn’t possible. So I will carry on watching the shows, loving and hating them, because even though I moan and criticize and presume I could do a better job (I could vs. creative at the moment though!!), I will continue to watch every week because I can’t not, because it has been a part of my life for over 20 years.

And I think that if a lot of EWN frequenters were honest they would say the same.

If you are still reading this then thank you, even if you do not agree with anything I have said. I hope I haven’t caused any offence.

Submit "The Understandable Fickleness of the Modern Era Fan" to Digg Submit "The Understandable Fickleness of the Modern Era Fan" to del.icio.us Submit "The Understandable Fickleness of the Modern Era Fan" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Understandable Fickleness of the Modern Era Fan" to Google

Updated 01-29-2013 at 03:36 PM by GiantHaystacks

Tags: wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great blog!!! I think you speak like the realistic smart fan should... The fact is that there is always gonna be good and bad with every part of life. Its only when people get this pationate about something they love that they get so wrapped up and emotional over it... Always have loved wrestling and i always will... Monday night is for chilling out and forgetting about lifes real problems... Even if we have to see tensai in lingerie..
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    Great blog!!! I think you speak like the realistic smart fan should... The fact is that there is always gonna be good and bad with every part of life. Its only when people get this pationate about something they love that they get so wrapped up and emotional over it... Always have loved wrestling and i always will... Monday night is for chilling out and forgetting about lifes real problems... Even if we have to see tensai in lingerie..

Thanks! Always appreciate any comments!!
    This was superb!!! Finally a person who exhibits some intelligence about the wrestling product. Someone else who isn't afraid to say "I like blah blah, but I didn't like blah blah blah". I can appreciate you honesty. I think to many of these wrestling fans or marks claim that they have to be one way versus another. People we are not wrestlers who have to be face or heel; We are fans. We are allowed to love and hate at the same time.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.