View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Top 10 moments in Mick Foley's career

Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
I gotta be honest with you, after 6 blogs dedicated to the Royal Rumble in a row....I'm sick of the Royal Rumble. LOL! Which is why I'm changing it up a bit. Dedicating this blog to Mick Foley after recently being announced as a HOF inductee in this years HOF. Decided to go ahead and beat others to it. I will likely follow up with his best matches after this one. Top 10 moments in the career of Mick Foley? I believe the majority of these moments you will agree with. So let's get to it.....The Top 10 moments in the career of Mick Foley:

10."Plz Don't go!!"-ECW Farewell for Mick when he was wrestling his final match. The crowd chanted Plz Don't Go throughout. At the end, (BWO) Blue World Order(Nova, Blue Meanie, Stevie Richards) joined in dancing with Foley in his farewell moment to end his ECW career.
9.Winning tag titles with hero-Didn't really have a catchy phrase for this one. Winning tag titles with Terry Funk at WM14 was a huge moment in Foley's career in my eyes anyway. Big stage vs the best tag team at the time, New Age Outlaw(Road Dogg/Billy Gunn) after getting pushed off the stage in a dumpster on Raw. Redemption at its finest.
8.Debut of Mr.Socko-On Raw in I believe, September of 98 saw the debut of Mr.Socko. Strange how over it got, but that is one of the symbols you will remember in Mick's career. New DVD coming out says a sock will be included which states how much it meant to his career. Pulling out the sock to anger Vince while in the hospital was a classic moment in Mick's career.
7.Retiring Hardcore title-The moment of him being honored on Raw in 03 receiving the Hardcore title was a great moment. Finally getting the recognition he deserved from the Raw roster.
6.Winning at half-Mick Foley won in the first ever empty arena match vs The Rock on Sunday Night Heat during the Super Bowl. Halftime to be exact winning his 2nd WWF title. Match is still talked about til this day.
5.Governor declares winner-The Governor of Minnesota, Jesse "The Body" Ventura was the ref for the main event WWF title match. The year was 1999, triple threat match featured Mankind, HHH, and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Mankind shockingly won the WWF title. Didn't see that coming at all. He was a real underdog that won some big matches.
4."This is your life"-Mankind decided to do a segment to help Rock come out of his shell. Where Rock would be so serious all the time. Bringing back some old friends Mankind thought would help this out. Turned out being the highest rated Raw segment in history. 8.0+ was the rating for the segment. The smart fans took shots at the segment, rating came in....no longer take a shot at the segment any longer. Most watched segment in Raw history!!
3."We'll miss you Mick"-Don't remember exactly what JR said at the end of the HIAC match in 2000 vs HHH at No Way Out. JR stated We'll miss you buddy along with other kind words as Mick went to the back with tears in his eyes as he was cheered from the fans. I was strongly considering this as the top moment.
2."Putting butts in the seats"-January 4th 1999, 2 main events were saw by wrestling fans. Some say it was the turning point in the Monday Night Wars. WCW had Kevin Nash vs Hollywood Hogan for the WCW title while WWF had The Rock vs Mick Foley for the WWF title. WCW gave out the results of Raw shows every week. Tony said "Mick Foley beat The Rock for the WWF title huh, that'll put some butts in the seats". Hundreds of thousands of wrestling fans turned the channel to see the main event. To see Mick's shining moment as he won the WWF title. Mick indeed did put butts in the seats. Fans would respond following weeks claiming they purchased their ticket to see Mick Foley.
1."The climb to the top"-Many can attempt to argue what should or shouldn't be #1 here, but I believe most would agree with me that no moment in Mick's career will be remembered more so than that HIAC match vs the Undertaker at King of the Ring 1998. Mankind started the match on the top of the cell attempting to make his mark. Taker threw Mick off the top of the cell through the announce table. JR: "Good god oh mighty he is broken in half." Mankind was put on a stretcher, but he got off of that and climbed back up to the top of the cell only to be choke slammed through the top of the cell which Mick claims that did the most damage to him. The match that made Mick's career. The match that made him a main event talent. The match that is still talked about til this day. Which is why it is my choice as the top moment in the career of Mick Foley's.

Honorable mention: Winning TNA world title at Lockdown 09

I know I'm going to hear it for not having him win the TNA world title in the top 10 which is why it is an honorable mention. The reason I didn't include it was because WWE doesn't acknowledge it nor does the talent. Christian claims he won his first world title at Extreme Rules vs Del Rio while Flair claims his last match was against HBK at WM24. So that is why...

In closing, I believe Mick's impact on the industry won't get respected enough because the era he was in with the big stars like Sting, Austin, HBK, Taker, Rock, among others. Mick did a great job putting over talent to make them monster heels and he was pretty damn good at being a heel himself. I'm very happy he is going in to the HOF. I hope along with believe that Terry Funk will induct him. In any case, did I get it right? How solid was my top 10 moment? Did I miss any? You got a top 10? Leave it in the comment section below. Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading!

Submit "Top 10 moments in Mick Foley's career" to Digg Submit "Top 10 moments in Mick Foley's career" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 10 moments in Mick Foley's career" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 10 moments in Mick Foley's career" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    where is

"Good to be King" - King of the death match.

"I can't hear you" - Vader takes off Cactus Jacks ear.

side note #6 not the first empty arena match
    His match at wm 22 against edge had to get some recognition. That match was awesome !
    While I do agree that his HiaC matches were Brutal, they were not as burtal as some of his matches, as he had with Terry Funk (who Foley want's to induct him into the HoF). They had a kawasaki death match over seas, where they had barbed wired ropes, and the ring was set to blow up! For those of you who dont believe me I have the match with Mick's commentary on my facebook page!
    Hardcore Wrestling Radio
    Updated 01-24-2013 at 02:44 AM by Rick Starr
    Quote Originally Posted by body slam
    where is

"Good to be King" - King of the death match.

"I can't hear you" - Vader takes off Cactus Jacks ear.

side note #6 not the first empty arena match
    Didn't follow his Japan career. I was thinking about having ear on there.
    If it wasnt for his time as Cactus Jack Manson or his hardcore time spent in Japan, he's not even on the WWE radar.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletBowl
    If it wasnt for his time as Cactus Jack Manson or his hardcore time spent in Japan, he's not even on the WWE radar.
    Well from what I read in his blog, he said Mick foley's career. not Mick Foley's career in the WWE, so that statement is redundant. Rick Starr
    fb.me/hardcorewrestlingradio
    IDK...if this should make the list, but it would for me....Germany...Mick finishes his match with Vader when he looses his ear during the match....barf....the ref picks it up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.