View RSS Feed

buddhamonkey

Response: The Sad Truth About the Divas

Rate this Entry
I have to reply to this full on because there was some things posted that I get a little tired of hearing.

Granted, Vertigo has a very founded beef with the state of the women's division but there are some things I find to be a bit off base.

I agree about his statements regarding the NXT finalists completely. To put over the one with personality but weak in-ring skills is ridiculous.

Here's what I disagree with. The state of the women's division has always been ridiculous. ALWAYS. I think some people tend to look at the era of Trish and Lita through rose-colored glasses. I like Trish, I think she improved a hell of a lot during her time, though at the time I was mad they put the title on her because I thought she was what we have a lot of now and even had a lot of then, a good looking women that couldn't wrestle to save her life, and at first she was, but she improved greatly. However, she still wasn't that good. Just like many other women today, her matches were slow, and her and Lita both botched so many moves, but Trish also had charisma and a good personality so she shined through that. At the time when Lita was active everybody called her a one trick pony, and she basically was. The most impressive move she did was the flying head scissors and she overused that. And just like today, aside from them and a few others sprinkled here and there (Jazz, Victoria and Mickie James), the division was full of pretty women that couldn't wrestle. And for the record, those three were far better wrestlers than both Trish and Lita.

I want to respond to the reasons things are bad one by one.

1. Gail Kim - She's a damn good wrestler but just like Christian she's never gonna get the push she deserves, though when she first came back she was botching moves left and right, and much of this can probably be attributed to being in there with people who weren't on her level, but a good majority of it was just her botching moves.

2. Laycool - This is one that is really getting on my nerves because I get tired of people bashing them and saying they're a rip off of the Beautiful People, because if that's the case then the Beautiful People are a rip off of Shawn Michael from the 90's, who is a rip off of Ric Flair, who is a rip off of Buddy Rogers and Gorgeous George. Because loud, cocky arrogant is not something new. Making women catty and mean doesn't take genius. It's not like they ripped off something astonishingly original idea when they made Laycool. Personally, I like them. Sure their gimmick is similar to the Beautiful People but I think they do it their own way. Sadly, I actually thought the night they wrestled Natalia on Raw was the highlight of that particular Raw, and I like Michelle McCool's work. She was aggressive and didn't wrestle like a woman wrestler, just a wrestler and her and Natalya put on a pretty good match. I think if she had more time to showcase what she could do people might be impressed.

3. Not all women have to be serious wrestlers - but that's no different that what's going on today (though for the record at one time Sable was the champion and a "serious" contender), just replace the names Sable, Torrie, Stacey etc. with Kelly Kelly and the Bellas.

4. Not much to say about the Bellas, they're kinda pointless.

5. Santina - I just think people need to lighten up on this one. It was funny, though I guess it only seems less so because the division sucks. Maybe if it happened in an environment more like TNA's people wouldn't have gotten so upset about it.

My own commentary.

First of all, I'm really hoping AJ Lee does what I think she can do and is impossible to ignore. I really think the fans are going to love her leaving WWE unable to keep her down. I think she could be bigger than Trish and Lita were. She's definitely more talented.

TNA's knockouts division is getting weaker than it once was. Mickie versus Tara is good, but they've lost a lot of their strongest talent. I think Tara (Victoria) was one of WWE's biggest mistakes. And why is it that the more talented women seem to be the one's that WWE wants to turn into trainers? Ivory, Tori, Jillian (don't let the stupid singing gimmick make you forget she could actually wrestle) and I'm betting they probably offered a training position to Victoria. I'd almost bet money on it.

I think Maryse has great heel heat but is fairly awful in the ring. I don't get either Eve and I get Alicia Fox even less. They're both awful in the ring. I think WWE could easily have a pretty solid women's division if they tried, but here's the bottom line. They are NEVER going to try, just like they don't care about real tag-team wrestling anymore. Same situation. The talented divas aren't given a push (save Natalya) and the real tag-teams are never given a push (Cryme Tyme and the Highlanders just to name a few). As annoying as it is, this is what we're always going to be given.

Also, even though the women's division sucked even at this time, there are no women's wrestler's currently in either company that can hold a candle to the matches that Alundra Blayze and Bull Nakano had (one person replying to the original blog mentioned them). If you have never seen their matches then you need to do yourself a favor and look them up on youtube and realize no matter how good or bad it gets, this is what women's wrestling should be.

Submit "Response: The Sad Truth About the Divas" to Digg Submit "Response: The Sad Truth About the Divas" to del.icio.us Submit "Response: The Sad Truth About the Divas" to StumbleUpon Submit "Response: The Sad Truth About the Divas" to Google

Updated 12-05-2010 at 12:20 PM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

You sir.....are completely right
    shut the fuck up i got a big dick goddamn smelly little smegma in my asshole!
    Quote Originally Posted by nrb6304
    You sir.....are completely right
    eat some smegma
    What you just said is absolutely right. I appreciate that they wrestle night in night out but theyr'e still my piss break, and I thank WWE and TNA for that.
    Also, even though the women's division sucked even at this time, there are no women's wrestler's currently in either company that can hold a candle to the matches that Alundra Blayze and Bull Nakano had (one person replying to the original blog mentioned them).
    That was me!

Glad to see a different light on the same subject. But I still miss that day of Women's Wrestling in the WWE. And if you think those matches with those two were good, check out Bull's Japan Work. Who said women can't be powerful?
    I won't claim that Trish and Lita were better wrestlers than Alundra Blayze or others, but my point was that the era of Trish and Lita was at least interesting to watch. The stories didn't suck, the matches were intriguing and lasted over 2 minutes and everyone in a tag match got the tag at some point. Because the WWE is wrestling and entertainment being a great wrestler is half the story and I feel the women of the attitude era had the whole story between them. I'm not asking everyone toagree but it's my opinion. As for Laycool vs the Beautiful People well TBP may not have created the gimmick but they were sure using it by the time Laycool started theirs and were well known for that gimmick so it's not about being the first, it's about copying what's being done in the present which is what Laycool did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo
    As for Laycool vs the Beautiful People well TBP may not have created the gimmick but they were sure using it by the time Laycool started theirs and were well known for that gimmick so it's not about being the first, it's about copying what's being done in the present which is what Laycool did.
    Being vain and narcissistic prima donnas was always a character even before TBP were on the scene. Heck, most heels are vain and/or narcissistic. The Miz and Morrison were acting like TBP before the group formed.

Besides, Laycool looks more like a pair of BFFs then a Beauty Hierarchy.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.