View RSS Feed

Earthquake

WWE Impact of the year: 1991

Rate this Entry
*HELLO LADIES AND GENTS, FOR SOME REASON 1991 DID NOT PUBLISH SO WE SKIPPED AHEAD. WELL LO AND BEHOLD, HERE WE GO

Hello fellow internet dwellers, my name is Earthquake (or David lol) and I am going to (try) get a little blog published on the most impactful Superstars of the year from 1990 until present day. So that is 23 years of personal opinion that I don't think most people will be able to argue with but of course if you read this put forward your opinions cause this is a blog and it really feeds on your opinions, otherwise it's just me spouting (obvious) nonsense. I am going to write all of these one after the other so the initial aim is to get 1 published per day but I've gut nothing else to do so hopefully I will get a few out at a time.

The Rules:
Every year I will pick ONE superstar that I feel made the big impact of the year. In the interest of fairness once somebody has won the impact "award" he can never win one of them ever again.

I will pick a runner up, because again in the interest of fairness some people need to get their due. People who are runners up can at one point before, or in the future, receive the Impact award themselves, as this represents a significant step in the right direction or a brilliant re-emergence that made the world take notice of them again and solidified their status that may at once have been in doubt.

I will also pick 3 "also-rans", again in the interest of fairness. These 3 can win the award again before or after and again just signified a step in the right direction from the superstar.

Many things can achieve the award. A simple gimmick change that works brilliantly, a solid run in the main event, or the first steps that lead to a run of momentum to the main event scene. Most likely winning a championship for the first time will achieve this but not necessarily that.

There will be some controversial picks, and I'll admit there will probably be some guys I didn't like, people who didn't deserve a push, but in the interest of fairness I can't let personal bias cloud how prevalent they were in the year selected.

I hope you enjoy my blogs. I will enjoy writing them thats for sure.

So without further adieu.

Impact of the year: The Undertaker

The legend. The biggest legend in the history of WWE. It all started here. In 1990, Undertaker made a dominant debut at Survivor Series, a year later, he won his first WWE title, having one of those rookie taking wwe by storm years. From his debut, Undertaker was a man who could not be touched. Any offence he took, he would not move and just stare at his opponent with those dead eyes, and he would always win. In these days, he mostly choked opponents, but it fit perfectly with his character, a "dead man" who had no value of his opponents lives. From the offset he was booked as an unstoppable entity and fans bought into him right away. When he beat Hulk Hogan at the 91 Survivor Series in the "gravest challenge", it may have been a bit dirty with Flair involved, but he came off as the man who destroyed Hulkamania. All those times Hulkamania looked in danger of ending he always overcame, but this time, he met his match in the unstoppable phenom. He would lose the title a few days later but Undertaker was made as a character, and very shortly became so over they had to turn him face. The one guy who never needed a title to truly get over, though it did help. An insurmountable foe for all of his big name face opponents. You know the rest of the history.

Runner Up: Bret "The Hitman" Hart

I was always a big fan of the Hart Foundation, though I couldn't really appreciate the art of wrestling (I was only 6) I liked the mix of the crazy one, "The Anvil" and the cool one, "The Hitman". When the team finished I didn't know where The Anvil was and missed him, but was very excited with the devolpments of The Hitman. 1991 was the year he was given the ball, and became the best worker without question in the company, defeating Perfect for the Intercontinental "Workers" championship. I didn't appreciate the wrestling at the time, but I was engaged in the match nonetheless, willling the Hitman to win. I couldn't believe it when he did, and I knew everyone was excited as I was because the roof came off the place as I could tell from my TV. For Bret, despite the previous tag team titles, this was only the beginning..

Other Notables:

Sergeant Slaughter:

1991 was the year I first really was able to follow all the storylines regularly, I don't know if this was because it wasn't on TV as much before when I was a kid or that I just became an insane fan at this time, but thats the story. Slaughter was the evil Iraqi sympathiser champion of the organisation, and I was a total Hulkamaniac and was firmly behind the Hulkster. I couldn't wait to see him go down so my champ could be on top again officially. No matter what you think. Slaughter held the title with distinction, he was extremely hated that by the time Hogan won it was a victory for America and probably more emotional than his other wins. Stayed involved throughout 91 in the triangle of terror with Gen. Adnan and Col. Mustapha. Good entrance music too, just war drums.

The Nasty Boys

Hey, I know, they suck, but in 1991 they didn't suck that bad. In 1991 gimmicks worked and got over the second they were around, and the Nasty Boys got over pretty big in the tag team division, they were those rotten punk scumbags that people loved to hate. They spent the year as arguably the most hated tag team in the division,and won by "nasty" means the Hart Foundations tag team championships at WrestleMania VII and would hold them until the Legion of Doom won them away to great fan fare at that years Summerslam. Also had cool theme music.

Jake "the Snake" Roberts

Hey, I know what you're thinking, he'd already made an impact, he was already very well established, but late in the year we saw him become the darkest character on the whole show and being the consumate evil heel. Plus he is one of the best ever and just got better. He was so evil that The Undertaker had to turn on him and do the right thing. Prior to this, he and Undertaker formed a helacious stable together targetting the Ultimate Warrior and the Macho Man to make their lives hell. I will never forget the promo's, him striking down Elizabeth and definitely the most extreme thing to happen in those days, forcing his snake onto Macho Man and getting Lucifer to bite his arm. Truly mad stuff. Total legend, and hope he pulls through in the end, the important thing is that he knows he has a problem and can admit it, thats the first big step of it all. It can take years to ACTUALLY do something, but knowing is the first step.

Submit "WWE Impact of the year:  1991" to Digg Submit "WWE Impact of the year:  1991" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE Impact of the year:  1991" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE Impact of the year:  1991" to Google

Updated 01-16-2013 at 12:17 AM by Earthquake

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

This is the time I started watching WWF..I feel year 1991 is for Bret Hart!!!

It's the year of Bret Hart....

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.