View RSS Feed

Earthquake

WWE Impact Superstars of the year: 1995

Rate this Entry
* Hey everyone, appreciate the comments. Just want to say my picks are relating to overall success by superatars. For example, in my 1990 blog, I picked Warrior as breakthrough superstar. He did already break through prior to that time, but he really broke the glass ceiling in 1990. Earthquake arguable had the greatest breakthrough, and I have him down as a notable, but compared to Warrior, he never got near those same heights. Rick Rude missed the cut, but he pretty much left in 1990. This blog is mainly about WWF careers, and doesn't take into account Rick Rude being a big heel in his wcw career

This isn't about talent. If it was Warrior wouldn't be anywhere near 1990's list, but it is about impact.

Hello fellow internet dwellers, my name is Earthquake (or David lol) and I am going to (try) get a little blog published on Breakthrough Superstars of the year from 1990 until present day. So that is 23 years of personal opinion that I don't think most people will be able to argue with but of course if you read this put forward your opinions cause this is a blog and it really feeds on your opinions, otherwise it's just me spouting (obvious) nonsense. I am going to write all of these one after the other so the initial aim is to get 1 published per day but I've gut nothing else to do so hopefully I will get a few out at a time.

The Rules:
Every year I will pick ONE superstar that I feel made the big breakthrough of the year. In the interest of fairness once somebody has won the breakthrough "award" he can never win one of them ever again.

I will pick a runner up, because again in the interest of fairness some people need to get their due. People who are runners up can at one point before, or in the future, receive the breakthrough award themselves, as this represents a significant step in the right direction or a brilliant re-emergence that made the world take notice of them again and solidified their status that may at once have been in doubt.

I will also pick 3 "also-rans", again in the interest of fairness. These 3 can win the award again before or after and again just signified a step in the right direction from the superstar.

Many things can achieve the award. A simple gimmick change that works brilliantly, a solid run in the main event, or the first steps that lead to a run of momentum to the main event scene. Most likely winning a championship for the first time will achieve this but not necessarily that.

There will be some controversial picks, and I'll admit there will probably be some guys I didn't like, people who didn't deserve a push, but in the interest of fairness I can't let personal bias cloud how prevalent they were in the year selected.

I hope you enjoy my blogs. I will enjoy writing them thats for sure.

So without further adieu.

Impacting Superstar of the Year: Shawn Michaels

HBK became the main event in 1995. He was probably the biggest (certainly most charismatic) heel in WWE over the last couple of years but in 95 he got his chance and took it with aplomb. 95 was a hard year for WWF and Vince McMahon was in dire need of people who wanted to push on to the next level and Michaels was ready long before. It started at the Royal Rumble where he was the first man to enter and the last to leave, winning in HBK fashion by making everyone think he was eliminated by Bulldog and sneaking the victory at the end. At the WrestleMania XI press conference, he delivered arguably his greatest ever promo "I will give you a show that you have never EVER seen before. Why? Because I can". He promptly went on to steal the show despite losing to his buddy Diesel in the title match, forcing a face turn in the wake. Michaels was betrayed by Sycho Sid but kept on ascending, despite injury at Sid and suffering a "concussion". As we all know, he won the next Royal Rumble and never looked back when he won the WWE title at WrestleMania XII against Bret Hart in an Ironman Match.

Runner Up: Goldust

In a time when WWE was at a lull, Goldust came in and shook things up. He debuted in late 95 but he made an impact that would make his career. 1996 was his best year but 1995 he changed the whole game with his "unorthodox" gimmick. Went on to become a multiple time Intercontinental champion and would be a famous gimmick until he left in 1999.

Other Notables:

Sycho Sid:

The Sycho one was a major character from this time on until he left in 97. Re-debuting (was once Sid Justice, I considered putting him in the 91 or 92 blog, he made a big impact in a short time) as HBK's bodyguard to combat Diesel, he turned on HBK and gave him 3 powerbombs as retribution for Shawn becoming a fair man after his WrestleMania defeat that year. With his skyscraper look and his charismatic "psycho" personality, Sid became a main player on wwe programming, becoming the crown jewel of the Million Dollar Corporation in late 1995. Would go on to greater success in 1996 and 1997, but he broke through as a singles star here.

Hunter Hearst Helmsley

This was a gimmick I rolled my eyes at when it debuted. 1995 was a bad year for WWE and it was the year I started losing patience with the whole program. However, Hunter Hearst Helmsley was given a lot of air time in 95 and is here because of that and also because he broke into the World Wrestling Federation. You will read more about him in further blogs. As Hunter Hearst Helmsley, his big thing was appearing with a new valet every week, and as this character his crowning achievement is introducing Sable into WWE.

Barry Horowitz

Not much happened in 95, but one of the biggest shocking stories was everlong jobber Barry Horowitz getting a shock victory over Skip of the Bodydonna's. Horowitz lost to everyone all the time and him winning was an unbelievable push for him. And he won again and again. Horowitz didn't go on to much (he was just a jobber after all), but for a few months Horowitz was a major sensation.

Submit "WWE Impact Superstars of the year:  1995" to Digg Submit "WWE Impact Superstars of the year:  1995" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE Impact Superstars of the year:  1995" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE Impact Superstars of the year:  1995" to Google

Updated 01-16-2013 at 12:19 AM by Earthquake

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

youve gone and picked a hard year,possibily the worse in company history.

the problem i have with your winner is that i would say,HBK's brakeout year was [for me anyway]1992 when he threw Jenetly through the barber shops window,iam not quite sure a face turn qualifys as a brakeout superstar,but hey your blog your rules :@) ,he definietly gets worker of the year.

i supose going by your rules ...if HBK qualifys then i would have gave Jerry the King Lawler runner up,most definetly his brakeout year in terms of for most of 95 he was probably the best heel the wwf had .
    Quote Originally Posted by kam1395
    youve gone and picked a hard year,possibily the worse in company history.

the problem i have with your winner is that i would say,HBK's brakeout year was [for me anyway]1992 when he threw Jenetly through the barber shops window,iam not quite sure a face turn qualifys as a brakeout superstar,but hey your blog your rules :@) ,he definietly gets worker of the year.

i supose going by your rules ...if HBK qualifys then i would have gave Jerry the King Lawler runner up,most definetly his brakeout year in terms of for most of 95 he was probably the best heel the wwf had .
    Someone had to win the 1995 gong, and no way Bret wasnt winning 92.

My logic is this.
    1991 - Bret makes a breakthrough. Taker makes a bigger breakthrough however.
    1992 - Bret makes the biggest possible breakthrough - wwe gold. once there, that is the ultimate push.

Yeah man, I was really thinking about whether Lawler should be in or not, decided in the end to think outside of the box as much as I could

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.