View RSS Feed

The Royal Ramble

The Royal Ramble: WWE Fails With SmackDown & Top Ten 30-Man Rumble Matches.

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Welcome back to The Royal Ramble! (on Twitter @The_RoyalRamble)

I'm going to start off this blog a little differently than my past ones. This weeks episode of Friday Night SmackDown really pissed me off for two huge reasons. The first is that you have a very good show that the WWE put on and not to mention the title change, Punk ripping on Rock, being live in Miami and The Rock actually being live in the ring on SmackDown. So, why would not have a live edition of the show?! This just totally pisses me off just because they had one a few weeks ago that was complete dog shit and this show was actually great. They were in Miami, one of the hottest WWE crowds in recent memory, The Rock live and a title change, why the fuck would you not do a live edition of the show. And my problem with this just doesn't end there. My second reasoning (and this one sent me over the edge Tuesday night) was that every time that a title changes hands, the WWE themselves spoil their own show with no warning what-so-ever! If they spoil their own show what was the point of even tuning in to watch it? In my eyes, the WWE had the opportunity to put on a great live show but instead wasted one a few weeks ago and failed at giving away the ending just so pointless and stupid in my eyes.

Ok moving on from my rant so I don't get annoying to you guys. Now let's countdown the top ten 30-Man Royal Rumble matches. The Royal Rumble PPV has always been my favorite, as you can tell by my name. To me this is like the playoff PPV and of course WrestleMania being the Stanley Cup PPV. This year I am pulling for Daniel Bryan to win the Royal Rumble and go to WrestleMania to get his redemption and glory at the grandest stage of em all. I'm also pulling for CM Punk to retain the WWE Championship. I have many reasons for this but I'll get to that at a later blog closer to Mania. Let's go with the countdown.

10. 2006 Match - Winner - Rey Mysterio
One of the best feel good moments ever in the history of the Royal Rumble was from this match. As everyone knows, a few months prior to this PPV, we tradgically lost one of the greatest wrestlers of time in Eddie Guerrero. With Rey Mysterio coming out in the low rider it was almost certain he was going to win the match. Coming out at number two Rey survived 29 other men and won the match but the highlight of the match was when Triple H was elimenated by Rey and crowded popped like no other. Rey did it for Eddie and in the end that's all that matters.

09. 1999 Match - Winner - Vince McMahon
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Vince McMahon in my eyes is the single greatest rivalry in the history of the WWE. And the build up for the event was classic. With Austin eyeing in on his third consecutive Rumble win, McMahon had other intentions. With both coming out at one and two, you know McMahon had something up his sleeve. The Corporation came out and attacked Austin and from what it looked like Austin was unable to continue, while McMahon came back out to do commentary. But Austin came back and opened up a can of ass-whoopin! As Austin looked to win his third Rumble match, The Rock came out and distracted Austin only leaving McMahon to eliminate the Texas Rattle Snake and pulling off the biggest upset in Rumble history.

08. 2003 Match - Winner - Brock Lesnar
Earlier in the night, Brock Lesnar and the Big Show had a match to determine who would get the last open spot in the Rumble match. Lesnar won and moved on, but the main story of this Rumble was between Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho. With Jericho screwing over Michaels by jumping him from behind and attacking him with a chair. Jericho would then eliminate Michaels just minutes later. It looked like Jericho was on his way to win the match until a bloody Michaels came running back down and started to beat down Jericho. Test then eliminated Jericho and Michaels jumped on him and continued to beat him down. Later on Brock Lesnar would go on to win the match eliminating a returning Undertaker for the win.

07. 2007 Match - Winner - Undertaker
Built as the most star powered Rumble match of all time, to me it didn't live up to the hype but the seeing the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels battle it out at the end was amazing and was the sole reason for saving this match. Taker and Michaels put on the show like no other has before to end a Rumble match. I was pulling for Michaels to win so he could tie Stone Cold with three Rumble wins. So many close calls and close eliminations to end the match truly made that last ten minutes something pretty special to wrestling fans everywhere.

06. 2001 Match - Winner - Stone Cold Steve Austin
The return of Stone Cold Steve Austin showed that he was hungry for the title once again. With Austin coming out on top in the end, the main story was Kane showing complete domination as the monster he is. Kane would set the record for the most eliminations in one match with eleven. Kane would end up being the last person eliminated in the match. The match also showcased some hardcore moments.

05. 1995 Match - Winner - Shawn Michaels
The 1995 match itself was not that great, but the reason it's ranked so high is due to the sole factor of Shawn Michaels. The first time that someone came out at number one and won the match. But it was the ending that was so special. I can remember hearing Howard Finkal announcing why Micahels was not eliminated "Only one of Shawn Michaels feet hit the floor, therefor your winner of the 1995 Royal Rumble match, Shawn Michaels!" It's truly a moment in WWE history that no one will ever forget.

04. 2002 Match - Winner - Triple H
Triple H returned and he was badder and bigger than before. It was a predicable finish but it was the glory of watching the Game win from his long road of recovery. The best moment was not the end however, it was when Maven drop-kicked the Undertaker over the top rope and the crowd going crazy with something they never would have thought they would have seen. Maven may not be remembered a few years from now but people will remember the moment the nobody eliminated the somebody.

03. 1998 Match - Winner - Stone Cold Steve Austin
This match marked the beginning of a new era for the WWE. The Stone Cold era was about to be kicked off in a major way! We saw the three faces of Foley in one match and the Rock and Austin were the final two wrestlers left with Austin coming out on top. The WWE were embarking something very special as now the Attitude Era was in full swing!

02. 1992 Match - Winner & New WWE Champion - Ric Flair
The one and only match that was for the WWE Championship! The WWE Championship was vacated a few months prior due to two controversial title changes between Hulk Hogan and the Undertaker. Ric Flair entered at number three and the rest was history. Flair out-shined everyone in the match and proved why he is one of the greatest of all time. "With a tear in my eye! This is hands down the single greatest moment of my life." This was one of the most exciting Rumble matches ever because the title was on the line!

01. 2004 Match - Winner - Chris Benoit
It's a shame with everything that happened with Chris Benoit because the WWE can never ever talk about how great of a wrestler he was and how great some of his matches were. This was the greatest Rumble match ever! Just a well wrestled and exciting Rumble match. This also kicked off the feuds between Brock Lesnar/Goldberg & Mick Foley/Randy Orton. But seeing Chris Benoit come in at number one and win was well deserved because of everything he did for the company and at the same it pains me to write this because I have lost all respect for the guy. Here are the highlights to this amazing match.

Thanks for reading, please leave some comments below, give me your top ten and tell him if you agree with SmackDown not being live. Follow me on Twitter @The_RoyalRamble and see you guys next time.

Submit "The Royal Ramble: WWE Fails With SmackDown & Top Ten 30-Man Rumble Matches." to Digg Submit "The Royal Ramble: WWE Fails With SmackDown & Top Ten 30-Man Rumble Matches." to del.icio.us Submit "The Royal Ramble: WWE Fails With SmackDown & Top Ten 30-Man Rumble Matches." to StumbleUpon Submit "The Royal Ramble: WWE Fails With SmackDown & Top Ten 30-Man Rumble Matches." to Google

Comments

Benoit sucks always did even before he decided to murder his family!
    2008? No one saw John Cena coming out.
    I agree with you totally about Smackdown! Throughout the last man standing inwas just thinking, why is this match not taking place at the Rumble? Only reason i can think of is because WWE is planning Ziggler's cash-in or someone else taking the title off of Del Rio at the Rumble. Still though, as you said it definitely should of been live. It would of been awesome seeing Del Rio win without knowing before hand.

Concerning the Rumble, my favourite was definitely 2001. Alot of good spots and story telling in that rumble match.
    I totally forgot about how FUCKING awesome not just the Rumble match, but Wrestlemania XX in 2004 was in general. Thanks for reminding me, I miss Benoit.
    The 1999 Rumble? That was by far and away the WORST one. Never mind the fact that Vince won (and that's reason enough to make it the worst one), but the rest of the match sucked too. Way too much dead space and a pretty weak field.
    It was going to be live of raw but rio have fan problem so they did it on SD and wwe don't own the right of airiñg SD live or not NBC(who own USA and sci fi) does
    First and foremost, I don't like that WWE had Del Rio win the belt on a taped version of Smackdown and I am even more disappointed that they spoiled it on WWE.com. It completely ruined the "element of surprise" which in my opinion, is the most exciting thing about pro wrestling.
    However, I understand why WWE did this. I will usually watch Smackdown when they do a live version on Tuesday and used to always watch many years ago when it was on Thursdays. However, I have not watched Smackdown on Friday in about a year and I am sure I am not alone. Face it, I don't care if you are a 10 year that the WWE machine caters their product to, an elder that who grew up watching in the territory era or any age in between, you most likely have something better to do on Friday nights than watch a TV program. However, knowing ahead of time that the Rock was going to be on and that a title change was going to occur, I recorded the show and watched it Saturday morning. I am guessing I was not the only person that set their DVR or stay home on Friday. All in all, WWE probably got more viewers to tune in than usual.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.