View RSS Feed

Earthquake

WWE Impact Superstars of the year: 1990

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Hello fellow internet dwellers, my name is Earthquake (or David lol) and I am going to (try) get a little blof published on Breakthrough Superstars of the year from 1990 until present day. So that is 23 years of personal opinion that I don't think most people will be able to argue with but of course if you read this put forward your opinions cause this is a blog and it really feeds on your opinions, otherwise it's just me spouting (obvious) nonsense. I am going to write all of these one after the other so the initial aim is to get 1 published per day but I've gut nothing else to do so hopefully I will get a few out at a time.

The Rules:
Every year I will pick ONE superstar that I feel made the big breakthrough of the year. In the interest of fairness once somebody has won the breakthrough "award" he can never win one of them ever again.

I will pick a runner up, because again in the interest of fairness some people need to get their due. People who are runners up can at one point before, or in the future, receive the breakthrough award themselves, as this represents a significant step in the right direction or a brilliant re-emergence that made the world take notice of them again and solidified their status that may at once have been in doubt.

I will also pick 3 "also-rans", again in the interest of fairness. These 3 can win the award again before or after and again just signified a step in the right direction from the superstar.

Many things can achieve the award. A simple gimmick change that works brilliantly, a solid run in the main event, or the first steps that lead to a run of momentum to the main event scene. Most likely winning a championship for the first time will achieve this but not necessarily that.

There will be some controversial picks, and I'll admit there will probably be some guys I didn't like, people who didn't deserve a push, but in the interest of fairness I can't let personal bias cloud how prevalent they were in the year selected.

I hope you enjoy my blogs. I will enjoy writing them thats for sure.

So without further adieu.

Impact of the Year: Ultimate Warrior

Was there really any doubt? 1990 was the year of the Warrior. After having debuted in 1988 (maybe 87) the Warrior rode a huge tidal wave of momentum were by the time of the 1990 Royal Rumble it was in major doubt whether Hulk Hogan was still in fact the single major star in the company. They were completely even it seemed, Warrior with his rocking mullet (twas the style of the time), frenetic energy and phenomenal physique and strength was a HUGE fan favourite.

When he won the main title at WrestleMania VI he never looked back. In the first ever face vs. face WrestleMania main event he was given the nod and was allowed to run with the ball. From then on, he was a major presence in wrestling for the next number of years.

Some people call Warriors run a flop, but I don't know. He held the title for about 10 months (not as long as Hulks previous reigns or Macho's reign) but business was still good. It could only be considered a flop because it was still Hulk Hogan's show at the end of the day, but it can't be denied, Warrior was definitely in the top 2 of the company and thats nothing to be scoffed at.

Runner Up: Mr. Perfect

Mr. Perfect made his debut about a year prior to this and went on one of the customary undefeated runs WWE loves to give. He got over gradually but when Warrior vacated the intercontinental title in 1990 thats when Mr. Perfect really started to run with his gimmick. He grated fans with his "perfect" routine but he was probably the very best worker in the company, and was probably (besides Macho Man) the first man to solidify the ic belt as the "workers championship" on a run of worthy champions that would continue for the next few years. After dropping the belt to rising star Texas Tornado Kerry Von Erich, he caught it back before the year ended and went on a long run that was his definitive reign with the belt. Arguably was the biggest heel in the entire company alongside with the definitive heel manager in the company Bobby Heenan, a dream team if there ever was one. Alongside Piper and Ted Di Biase, he stands far above others who would have been worthy of championship runs among fans.

Other Notables:
Earthquake

Earthquake burst onto the scene as a huge heel this year when he "injured" Hulk Hogan in an angle with the Earthquake splash. Alongside Perfect and Million Dollar Man, he was the biggest heel in the company at this time. He would go on a run until 1994 where he was loved by all fans and wholeheartedly accepted as a face when he did eventually make the turn. He really played the gimmick to perfection, making the ring "quake" upon entrance.

Legion of Doom

Demolition had been the badass team in the 80's, but Vince finally got the real thing in 1990. As soon as LOD debuted they were one's to watch out for, and I watched a match of theirs a few days ago shortly after their debut and they were much better moving in the ring than they were in their later wwe run in the late 90's. With their awesome music, physiques, spike shoulder pads, personality and ring skills they were the total package and the universe took to them right away. Arguably the greatest tag team in the history of the business.

Big Boss Man

This might be a controversial pick, but when Boss Man turned face he became a completely over personality, a household name, as the resident "law enforcer" in this great era of gimmicks. From this point on as a face though, he was a major fan favourite, and a personal favourite of mine as a kiddo.

Submit "WWE Impact Superstars of the year:  1990" to Digg Submit "WWE Impact Superstars of the year:  1990" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE Impact Superstars of the year:  1990" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE Impact Superstars of the year:  1990" to Google

Updated 01-16-2013 at 12:22 AM by Earthquake

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi ALL

1st off iam new here ,and this is my 1st post

Great idea with the blog......now my thoughts.

Although i Agree Warriors best year was 1990,i personally believe theres a whole load ahead of him,and one particular wrestler that failed to make your list at all(,technically 1989 was his best year) ,but since were talking 1990,and considering he carried the WWF Champion from arena to arena i was surprised Ravashing Rick Rude didnt make your list at all.

I would have to agree with Mr Perfect as Runner up,as for tag teams,there no doubt Road Warriors are an iconic team,i would have had them in 91 myself,considering Demolition year proberly reaching there last great year,three-peating at Wrestlemania and going on to fued with Rockers and Hart Foundation whilst all 3 were still considered Face teams.

well thats my 2 pennys worth look forward to the rest of your blogs :@)
    Warriors breakthrough was late 88-89 during his run as IC champion. Beating HTM in 30 something seconds at summerslam was the start. Then his breakthrough continued wih his fueds with Rude and Anrde. Setting him up for 1990 here he actually peaked defeating Hulk for the title wm 6.

Perfect was basicly undefeated until 1990 and had already been involved in a fued with Hogan.

LOD kind of hard to say breakthough when they were already considered by many as one of the greatest tag teams of all time before getting to the wwf. This was more like icing on the cake.

Bossman already a monster heel and had already fueded with Hogan. Much like with Henning once you get to Hogan you at the top of the food chain and have broken through.

With all that said your 1990 Breakthrough Superstar............Earthquake. He squashes Warrior in his debut. Destroys everyone including Duggan. Leading him to co-main event summerslam '90 with Hogan.
    Quote Originally Posted by kam1395
    Hi ALL

1st off iam new here ,and this is my 1st post

Great idea with the blog......now my thoughts.

Although i Agree Warriors best year was 1990,i personally believe theres a whole load ahead of him,and one particular wrestler that failed to make your list at all(,technically 1989 was his best year) ,but since were talking 1990,and considering he carried the WWF Champion from arena to arena i was surprised Ravashing Rick Rude didnt make your list at all.

I would have to agree with Mr Perfect as Runner up,as for tag teams,there no doubt Road Warriors are an iconic team,i would have had them in 91 myself,considering Demolition year proberly reaching there last great year,three-peating at Wrestlemania and going on to fued with Rockers and Hart Foundation whilst all 3 were still considered Face teams.

well thats my 2 pennys worth look forward to the rest of your blogs :@)
    Hey man, thanks for your comment.

What I was kind of going for was this. I considered putting Rude in, really did, he was way better than Warrior, but didn't Rude leave either 1990 or early 91? I certainly don't remember him. He certainly would deserve to be ahead of the ultimate lunatic, not a doubt, but these blogs arent going to be about work rate, its about overall contributtion to the year (which Rude again, arguably ranks high) but more of an emphasis on where they went from there in wwe. I can't remember anything after Rude's match with Warrior after SSlam, so he didn't make my list.

Good call on Demolition, but again, they had already "broken through". Same with Hart Foundation and Rockers, but LOD debuted in wwe in 90 and remained a successful team for their run.
    Quote Originally Posted by body slam
    Warriors breakthrough was late 88-89 during his run as IC champion. Beating HTM in 30 something seconds at summerslam was the start. Then his breakthrough continued wih his fueds with Rude and Anrde. Setting him up for 1990 here he actually peaked defeating Hulk for the title wm 6.

Perfect was basicly undefeated until 1990 and had already been involved in a fued with Hogan.

LOD kind of hard to say breakthough when they were already considered by many as one of the greatest tag teams of all time before getting to the wwf. This was more like icing on the cake.

Bossman already a monster heel and had already fueded with Hogan. Much like with Henning once you get to Hogan you at the top of the food chain and have broken through.

With all that said your 1990 Breakthrough Superstar............Earthquake. He squashes Warrior in his debut. Destroys everyone including Duggan. Leading him to co-main event summerslam '90 with Hogan.
    Hi man, thanks for your comment.

You could argue there is more than one breakthrough to be had, so I just chose the biggest breakthrough of the year. Warrior "broke through" by beating Honky Tonk for the title. then he broke through again and again, and when he beat Hogan, he made his "biggest" breakthrough, undoubtedly in my mind the biggest of the year. And I liked Warrior as a gimmick but I loved Perfect way more, but I can't be biased in this, Warrior was more successful than Perfect in face of the company terms by a long shot.

With LOD, this is a wwf blog. It only relates to wwf, and they debuted in 1990 to great acclaim so in my view thats when they broke through.

Again with BossMan, HUGE heel that feuded with Hogan, but once you get to the top it can all go downhill. Boss Man broke through as a successful face and stayed that way for the rest of his current run.

Had to give Earthquake props, and considered giving him the award, but he didn't really main event post Hogan. But he became a major name in 1990 which is why I've included him here.
    This is an awesome idea for a blog. I only got into wrestling in 98 really and though i know a fair bit about the history of the WWE, i never watched week in week out as i was too young back then (i was born in 1990 as it goes). So i am very interested in reading your series of blogs on what exactly happened each year and who were the real breakthrough stars. Maybe when your done you could do a prediction one for 2013 as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWade
    This is an awesome idea for a blog. I only got into wrestling in 98 really and though i know a fair bit about the history of the WWE, i never watched week in week out as i was too young back then (i was born in 1990 as it goes). So i am very interested in reading your series of blogs on what exactly happened each year and who were the real breakthrough stars. Maybe when your done you could do a prediction one for 2013 as well!
    Hey no problem man. My blogs aren't going to be biased, I'm going to highlight people (whether IWC people like them or not, I like everything really, so I won't bullshit with bias) that were actually BIG NEWS during the year they were in. Some people will be controversial, but they deserve the recognition, cause they were important at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthquake
    Hi man, thanks for your comment.

You could argue there is more than one breakthrough to be had, so I just chose the biggest breakthrough of the year. Warrior "broke through" by beating Honky Tonk for the title. then he broke through again and again, and when he beat Hogan, he made his "biggest" breakthrough, undoubtedly in my mind the biggest of the year. And I liked Warrior as a gimmick but I loved Perfect way more, but I can't be biased in this, Warrior was more successful than Perfect in face of the company terms by a long shot.

With LOD, this is a wwf blog. It only relates to wwf, and they debuted in 1990 to great acclaim so in my view thats when they broke through.

Again with BossMan, HUGE heel that feuded with Hogan, but once you get to the top it can all go downhill. Boss Man broke through as a successful face and stayed that way for the rest of his current run.

Had to give Earthquake props, and considered giving him the award, but he didn't really main event post Hogan. But he became a major name in 1990 which is why I've included him here.
    He did beat Hogan but could not carry the ball after that. Maybe it was a lack of competition at the time or poor booking. If you go to some old school wrestling sites many says he did not have the drawing power the wwf was hoping for and the title made its way back to Hogan.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.