View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)

Rate this Entry
Now I remember why I love crazy chicks…

It goes without saying that this past Sunday’s TLC: Tables, Ladders, Chairs PPV was up there with the best of 2012. For once I’m willing to overlook the fact that John Cena was in yet another main event (even though the main event should have been The Shield’s TLC match victory – I’m yet to count the broken tables and chairs, but I’m certain WWE were very low on their annual quota of broken weapons heading into Brooklyn), and it is all because I’ve been reminded why AJ makes a great crazy chick. Overall, TLC delivered a great show and did so without the WWE Champion being on the card (I will be buying that Knees 2 Faces t-shirt…).

Now onto Raw and the annual Slammy awards…

Having skipped Raw last night in favour of some much-needed sleep, I accidentally saw a spoiler about Cena having a new target on his back. I had no idea who the guy was because I clicked right off of the page, but I was certain they looked a lot like Marcus Cor Von (Monty Brown to those who, like me, preferred his TNA days). I honestly wish it had been him.

The Shield

Usual readers of this blog know I like to come up with witty headings for these sections, but TLC (and the subsequent actions of Team Hell No, Ryback and Ric Flair on Raw) has left them at somewhat of a loose end. It’s all well and good that they’re a “shield against injustice”, but they need a specific target to make their impact felt. I did think that target was Ryback, but WWE is pretty set on keeping him as unstoppable as ever by the looks of it (he was the last man on his feet at TLC, and he beat Antonio Cesaro via Count-Out last night in order to preserve both men’s momentum).

I’m not complaining about The Shield’s lack of obvious target by any means, rather I would like to commend WWE on making it difficult to anticipate their next move. So much of this could be down to WWE not knowing what to do with The Shield, but I like where it is headed. Of course I could be wrong, and Ryback could just be a stronger target than The Shield anticipated, but the options are seemingly endless. Ultimately, this is the most interesting thing happening in WWE right now and until The Rock and CM Punk take the limelight (an event I’m looking forward to more than I ever did Rock/Cena) this is an angle I can enjoy.

I also love their music and their Edge & Christian-style entrance.

In other news…

Rey Mysterio def. Damien Sandow – This was a decent match, but I would have preferred something which was going to make a difference to a major angle starting Raw.

Kofi Kingston won the “Tell Me I Did Not Just See That” Moment of the Year Slammy – So a handstand was more of a shock than an 18 second victory at WrestleMania for the World Heavyweight Championship? I wish this hadn’t been the start of an obviously rigged Slammys.

Kaitlyn def. Divas Champion Eve – WWE really needs to hire some female superstars with character…

Jerry “The King” Lawler won the Comeback of the Year Slammy – I’m glad the guy survived his heart attack, but during his time away from Raw the commentary was massively improved by JBL and JR. This should have been Jericho’s award hands down.

Intercontinental Champion Kofi Kingston def. Tensai; Wade Barrett attacked – I’m surprised at how far Tensai’s star has fallen since John Laurinaitis left WWE. I’m glad this segment was made worthwhile with an attack from Barrett.

AJ Lee and John Cena won the Kiss of the Year Slammy – Easily the least received moment in AJ’s year to top off the worst thing she’s been involved in all year. Who voted for this to happen?

The Great Khali (w/ Natalya) def. David Otunga – Why exactly is a) Natalya being wasted on Khali, and b) Otunga being made to job to that talentless giant?

Ric Flair returned, presented Superstar of the Year to John Cena and fought WWE Champion CM Punk – Punk was right. Cena is at the end of the worst year of his career and has done nothing of notability, this was easily the year of CM Punk and he deserved a second straight Superstar of the Year Slammy.

The Shield brawled with Ryback, WWE Tag Team Champions Team Hell No and Ric Flair – This was the start of Raw getting good, but mainly because I’m loving the brawls The Shield have reintroduced to WWE.

Brodus Clay def. JTG – I wish WWE would use JTG in a better way.

Santino Marella and Tensai presented LOL Moment of the Year to The Rock – As funny as The Rock was in his build with Cena, Team Hell No have been gold since their comedy angle started.

Cody Rhodes def. Sin Cara – As expected, another good match from WWE’s tag team competitors.

Zack Ryder and Layla presented Trending Now (Hashtag of the Year) to Ryback – The flaw here is that WWE set the voting time to five minutes before the award was given. If it had been done over the course of a year I’m certain #YesYesYes, #Jeritrolled or #respectPunk would have won this award.

Sheamus confronted World Heavyweight Champion Big Show; John Cena foiled Dolph Ziggler’s Money in the Bank cash-in attempt – How this wasn’t a John Cena heel turn is beyond me. Ziggler is beyond over, has abandoned Vickie Guerrero, and was about to dethrone the heel World Heavyweight Champion. Cena stopped that and got booed out of the arena after he did so.

The Miz, Alberto Del Rio & Tommy Dreamer def. 3MB – I’m on board for an ADR face turn, but why is 3MB being subjected to the ‘returning legends’ treatment?

Ryback won Newcomer of the Year and def. U.S. Champion Antonio Cesaro via Count-Out – I agree with the winner of this award, and I was happy with how the match ended. It was an intriguing match and I hope to see it again.

Jim Ross, “Mean” Gene Okerland and Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat awarded Match of the Year to Triple H and The Undertaker – So many great matches made way for Sheamus vs. Big Show at Hell in a Cell, most notable of which being any of CM Punk’s matches with Chris Jericho or Daniel Bryan. Given the poor choices, End of an Era was the best match of the year. I would have voted for Punk vs. Bryan.

John Cena & Vickie Guerrero def. Dolph Ziggler & AJ Lee via Disqualification after Big E Langston interfered – Am I the only person who doesn’t see the hype about Langston? He doesn’t look like anything more than a new Bobby Lashley, and his finish looks as devastating as The Wasteland. Hopefully he’ll be more impactful and impressive next week.

I was hyped coming off of TLC, and I fully expected Raw to be a great show. As you can tell, I was underwhelmed with what we got and I haven’t exactly held back with my thoughts on the Slammys.

There were a few good points to take away from the show, however. Ryback was impressive as ever, Dolph finally got rid of Vickie, and The Shield kept me guessing once again. The build to the 2013 Royal Rumble looks empty right now, but next week could be eventful enough to keep me locked in for three hours.

Thanks for reading my views, I’d love to hear your views on Twitter (@SpringerAJ, #YYYTRR) or in the comments on this blog.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Did you notice that Vickie interrupted AJ before she could explain her actions againt Cena? To me this means that the WWE doesn't have a reason yet or that they backed out of the reason they did have.
    Good sum-up this week. While lots of people have been praising this raw, I actually enjoyed it way less than I usually do (and I rarely complain). I wouldn't call myself a Cena-hater but now he's getting on my nerves after first getting a very undeserved Superstar of the Year award and then ruining the cash-in. He's definitely a heel in my eyes now. I was also bothered by the fact that they cut off the shield attack and Team Hell No run-in with a commercial break, lading us to miss parts of one of the most interesting segments on an otherwise not too great show. I was still okay with the show as a whole though. It kind of served its purpose and TLC was good enough to justify it (in my opinion the Shield match was match of the year) and I expect next week's raw to be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by King MC
    Did you notice that Vickie interrupted AJ before she could explain her actions againt Cena? To me this means that the WWE doesn't have a reason yet or that they backed out of the reason they did have.
    She kinda explains on Smackdown but don't hold your breath for a good reason. It comes across as a rushed excuse to split her and Cena up due to the photos on TMZ that revealed Cena is dating one of the Bella twins in reality. I don't think the Cena/AJ split was a long planned thing, definitely not as early as TLC anyway.
    This was probably the best RAW since the night after WrestleMania. IT WAS ALL THERE!!!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.