View RSS Feed

Cobra Commander

The Snake Pit. What is wrestling to you?

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Welcome to another edition of The Snake Pit. Today I am going to ask and hopefully answer the question, What is wrestling? When I ask this question I am not talking about is it real, fake, or scripted. I am sure we all know the answer to that. What I am asking is what kind of product should the WWE, TNA, ROH and so on put on TV.

Now before I get deep into this I will start out by telling you what really got me thinking about this. A while ago another user posted a blog about the attitude era and would it work now. Click here for the link. While he says no I thought yes it would but did not feel like posting right then. Then not to long ago there is news about Traditional Championship Wrestling and I thought to myself I would like to watch that. Thinking about these two eras being so different it made me really stop and think about what I wanted to see in pro wrestling. Then I thought about TNA low ratings and the WWE slipping ratings and why is so many people tuning out and then it hit me like a Stone Cold Stunner. IDENTITY! That is what wrestling is missing and I also think the idea of one mega company giving everyone a show worth watching has died too.

I will start out with my main point of identity. Right now the WWE has many things but an identity is not one of them. In every era before the PG era you always knew what you were going to get. In the 80's and 90's it was all about being flamboyant while remaining a serious threat to your opponents. An example of this would be Hogan, Rick Flair, Macho Man, and so on. These people would entertain you, make you laugh, but when it was time to go to work in the ring you knew someone was going to get their butt kicked. In the attitude era it was about excitement and pushing the envelope. There was cussing, beer drinking, and butt kicking a plenty. You knew when you bought a PPV someone was going to bleed. Now in the PG era you never know what you're going to get. One month they are focused on comedy and trying to make you laugh with Brodus Clay and Santino and then another month they try to get more serious with Brock Lesner, Triple H, and Kevin Nash. The WWE has no identity and that is why people are tuning out. I really don't want to watch a comedy show just like other people don't want to watch attitude era stuff.

This brings me to my main point, wrestling for all but in multiple shows. I think the days of the WWE having Raw or Smackdown serve 100% of wrestling fans is over and NO I don't think TNA or ROH or any other company will be able to take its place. What people want is so far apart that I think it is almost impossible to recreate what WWF and WCW had in the late 90's early 2000's. Some people want to laugh and watch people like Clay and Santino and so forth have a good time and watch more of a comedy show and that's fine while other fans want hardcore matches, blood, and beer drinking and that's fine but when you try to mix it all together you get a bunch of junk no one wants to watch.

In conclusion will the attitude era work, yes. Will the PG era work, yes. Will traditional wrestling work, yes. Will it all work in one show, NO! If the WWE wants to service everyone it will need to diversify it shows and give them an identity or all they will do is end up wasting a lot of money on failed ideas. TNA needs to pick there target demographic and do everything in their power to please them and so on. I think wrestling will always be around and all shows will have their good and bad but until they stop trying to please everyone wrestling will only serve to piss off hardcore fans and lose the casual fans.

Submit "The Snake Pit. What is wrestling to you?" to Digg Submit "The Snake Pit. What is wrestling to you?" to del.icio.us Submit "The Snake Pit. What is wrestling to you?" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Snake Pit. What is wrestling to you?" to Google

Comments

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.