View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

The Splash: A look at Tag-Teams

Rate this Entry
Welcome back Splashers! I was having a discussion with a couple of friends of mine, and the topic of Tag-Teams came up. Some of us mentioned how the WWE Tag-Team Division has really improved over the past couple of months. Then there were a few others who thought that some of these “throw-together” teams like Hell-No and Rhode Scholars, will not last more than a few months.

That made me start to think about the history of Tag-Teams as a whole. What Tag-Teams really stay together forever? If you look throughout history, even some of the greatest Tag-Teams have broken up. Why? Because each wrestler has always wanted that only one man can achieve: The Company’s World Title.

The Hart Foundation
Before he was “The Best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be!” he was tagged up with Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart. This team came into the WWF together, they won several titles together, and hell they are even family! Did that stop Bret from leaving the team behind, when Vince dangled the “brass ring” in front of Bret’s nose? Not a chance! And why should he? If the shoe was on the other foot and Anvil had the same opportunity, I’m sure he would have taken it. Granted they still kept the Foundation gimmick alive after Hart won the title, but it was a different beast by then.

Demolition
This was another great tag-team that was ripped apart. Demolition was together for 3 years, and they were also multi-Tag-Team Champions. However, neither Ax (Bill Eadie), Smash (Barry Darsow), nor Crush (Brian Adams) were able to grab a hold of any of Vince’s “brass rings”. Maybe Vince didn’t invent them yet….

The Rockers
When Shawn Michaels was a part of The Rockers, he did not have the gimmick we have all come to know when he retired. He teamed with Marty Jannetty for 7 years, in over 4 different companies! But when the day came, that Vince asked him to grab a hold of the “Brass Ring” what did he do? He put Jannetty through the Barber Shop window via Sweet Chin Music, and became HBK. Now if you ask me, do I think that was an improvement on his career? I say without a doubt yes!

The Hardy Boys
For many years it has been debated by many as to whether they were or not, if they were the best Tag-Team in history. But as the trend is starting to show us…even a team like Matt & Jeff Hardy just don’t last forever.

When the two split Jeff reached and grabbed the WWE’s Brass ring, and became a 3-Time WWE Champion. Jeff then signed with TNA and is now the current TNA Champion. The two brothers even made a small reunion in 2011 when Matt Hardy signed with TNA, but even that was short lived...as well as Matt’s career in TNA.

There is no doubt that teams like the Hardys will reunite for short periods of time, but the sad fact is, once they make that first split…the team is never quite the same again.

The Dudley Boys
If you measured a Tag-Team by their Tag-Team Titles won, then the Dudley boys would have to be the best Tag-Team in my book. I don’t know any other team that has over 20 Tag-Team Titles accumulated across the world. Yet even this team has split up more than once, and it appears that The Dudley Boys have decided to finally seek singles career for the remainder of their careers.

Could we see that final “One more match” with the Dudleys as a Tag-Team? It wouldn’t surprise me in the least, but on a full time scale…I’m not holding my breath.

Final thoughts
I could continue on with other Tag-Teams, like The Steiner Brothers or Harlem Heat. But the results would just be the same. Then I decided to look at the top 50 Tag-Teams of the WWE, and I noticed that the majority of the Tag-Teams were thrown together at one point in time. Jeri-show, The Rock-n-Sock Connection, Rated RKO, and many other established wrestlers were “thrown together” to make a Tag-Team.

Well that’s it for this edition of The Splash. As always feel free to post your comments below. Also This Wednesday @ 11pm ET, be sure to join me and the gang LIVE! on Hardcore Wrestling Radio! and look for us on Facebook! Until next time! See you when I see you! @RickStarr
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images

Submit "The Splash: A look at Tag-Teams" to Digg Submit "The Splash: A look at Tag-Teams" to del.icio.us Submit "The Splash: A look at Tag-Teams" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Splash: A look at Tag-Teams" to Google

Updated 12-04-2012 at 02:56 AM by Rick Starr

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I have always been a big fan of tag team wrestling as mentioned in one of my blogs. I think the true definition of a 'throw together' team is 2 guys tossed together for a couple weeks, perhaps months just to win the titles to further their feud. I would hardly ever call the likes of Demolition a 'throw together. I think it is too much to expect any team to stay together forever, especially in this day and age because it gets to the point of what's left to prove. If you had one team constantly dominating they would probably just get the same yawns as Cena. All we can hope for is WWE to continue pushing the division and some of the upstart teams they've create the last several months.
    and btw, Hart Foundation were created in WWF when neither one was going anywhere. Look up Bret's cowboy gimmick! Lol
    I loved tag teams like Brain Busters, Killer Bees, Heavenly Bodies, Natural Disasters, Demolition.. those were the days ....
    To put a fact the road warriors i believe have held more tag team belts in history and the dudleys are second
    Tag Teams were great back in the day, but even though they're not the same these days, there are still some amazing teams these days. Just look at Daniels and Kazarian. They are the best tag team in the business today. They are 2 of the most amazing wrestlers going, great chemistry together, and the funniest tag team since Edge and Christian. I see so much potential with these guys that I'm going blind...
    In the early years of RAW, I LOVED the Quebecers. Up until that point we had never seen a tag team use their partners as weapons. In that regard, the Quebecers were transcendent. But it was somewhat of a reversal for Jacques Rougeau. He went from Tag Team with Raymond to The Mountie then back to the tag team division.

Dont forget about The Dream Team. That may have been the 1st tag team consisting of singles stars to come together and become champions (Beefcake & Valentine). They were followed closely by Volkoff & The Sheik.
    From doing a quick count on Wikipedia and not being sure which members were included in the Japanese titles I came up with 19 for Road Warriors (probably being generous as I don't know if they were all Hawk and Animal)

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.