View RSS Feed

K-O-W KINGS!

Why the Attitude Era wouldn't work now (No matter how much you think it will)

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
WWE(F) has had millions of fans and these fans have seen the many different eras the E' has gone through, depending on the age of the fan of course. Between the WWWF in the 60s and 70s, to just the WWF of the 80s, mostly molded by characters and gimmicks than wrestling, to the Attitude Era of the 90s, Ruthless Agression for the early and mid 2000s, to where we are now with the PG era. But no era is more acclaimed and talked about than the Attitude Era.

The Attitude Era, largely contained of angles of mature nature, is what has everyone buzzing, even 10-15 years past it. The WWE is still making money off of it due to the release of WWE 13 and their recent Attitude Era DVD. But it's not just the games and films that give hope to the fans that the WWE will revert back to these days, it's also the misplaced sense of knowledge that leads them to believe the Attitude Era is what would work now, instead of the PG era that the E' seems to be "stuck" in.

In truth, i'm here to tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that the Attitude Era would not work in this day and age. I know, we're only just 10 years removed from the end of the Attitude Era, you can practically still see it in your rear view mirror. But it won't happen now because it won't work.

That era of wrestling really spawned from a couple of major events, events that to this day really haven't been seen again. The rise of the WCW and the Montreal Screwjob. See, Eric Bischoff and Ted Turner has been preparing for war with the WWF, taking its former stars and trashing the federation at every turn. Once WCW got its Monday Night show, things really got started, forcing WWF to try and step up its game. Part of stepping up their game was building new stars to lead the way. Guys like Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, HBK, Taker, they had all been around, but if the WWF were going to prevail over WCW, they needed to push these guys to the top. They also needed to keep their stars, which is where the screwjob comes in. We all know the story, Hart decides to go to WCW, Vince screws him in his hometown royally, and thus Vince becomes this tremendous heel character after a real life betrayal (from both sides). Of course, we also know the rest of the story about the Attitude Era. The back and forth in the ratings lead, the racy angles both productions would put on, and the somewhat decent wrestling we would see along the way.

Sorry for the history lesson, but I had to put all that out there for one reason. The paragraph above is all the argument needed to shut down any thought of the Attitude Era.

Firstly, there are SO many credible companies out right now, and so many different audiences, there can't be an opposition to the E'. Everyone is quick to say TNA is 2nd best brand of wrestling out there, but are they really? Is it clear cut? They can't even match the kind of ratings that WWE' worst show puts on, and legitimately if you can't get ratings, you can't start the war, let alone win it.

Secondly, the WWE doesn't have the personnel to put on another era like that. Sure, they've got some characters that already stretch the PG rating, but to put on the angles that an Attitude Era would require, they don't have all the pieces needed.

Thirdly, no one really wants to go to TNA or any indy promotion once they've gotten to the WWE. Guys like Christian, Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy should have paved the way for more to jump ship, the way Hogan, Macho Man and etc. did. Besides, truthfully, WWE didn't care about Christian or Hardy jumping ship, not nearly the way they cared back in the mid 90s.

Lastly, I don't think any wrestling companies has ever repeated an era, especially not the WWE. They always go in a different each time they think the product is getting stale, it's time to go forward, not backward.

So, can we put a rest to all this talk?

Submit "Why the Attitude Era wouldn't work now (No matter how much you think it will)" to Digg Submit "Why the Attitude Era wouldn't work now (No matter how much you think it will)" to del.icio.us Submit "Why the Attitude Era wouldn't work now (No matter how much you think it will)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why the Attitude Era wouldn't work now (No matter how much you think it will)" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pld459666
    there's no reason to be so toned down in your on air programming. There's no reason that the WWE should be placating to the child demographic.
    Sponsors....And having to fall in line with the new, image-friendly, over-sensitive society we now live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    Sponsors....And having to fall in line with the new, image-friendly, over-sensitive society we now live in.
    Gradual process implemented in segments starting on Smackdown.

Sponsors will be there. They were back in the day, see no reason they won't going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by K-O-W KINGS!
    -Edgier storylines could work, but I still don't think they have the personnel for it. They've got Punk......but that's really it. I don't think Orton, Cena, Ryback, Ziggler, Sheamus, Show, Rhodes, Cesaro and etc. could fit into edgier storylines and it being believable.
    I think they do.

I believe if allowed a little more breathing room, the current Ziggler/Cena situation can get a bit edgy.

Stop having Sheamus say "Fella" so much. If he's having issues with the Big Show, bring in a bat or a Kendo Stick. Juice the Big guy.

Ryback is a very VERY limited guy and will not be around long. If all the guy can say on the stick is "Feed Me More" he won't be around much longer.

Part of having that attitude is being able to convey that to the masses. You look at the biggest names during the AE and they were all masters on the Mic. The Rock, SCSA, HBK, HHH, Mick Foley/Dude Love, Edge, Christian, Undertaker, Vince-Shane-Stephanie, Road Dogg. All of these guys could work the stick. Wrestling ability is one aspect and that can get overlooked if you can talk. Hulk Hogan was a master of that. The Rock was also pretty limited in the ring yet he got over. Geez, even Cena today is a horrible worker, but the man can work the mic and because of that it's alot easier to overlook the in ring limitations.

It can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979
    People will never let it go. The funny thing is most of those who keep harping on are actually too young to have seen it. It's mostly what they've read on sites like this or videos they've seen on Youtube.

Most things seem better in hindsight.

For me, being old enough to remember Wrestlemania I, the 80's were the finest wrestling period but I'm sure those old enough to remember would extoll the virtues of 60's and 70's wrestling as being far superior.
    Agreed kids when they grow up will look back at the PG era and say it was the best era because it was the first one they watched.
    Quote Originally Posted by pld459666
    Gradual process implemented in segments starting on Smackdown.

Sponsors will be there. They were back in the day, see no reason they won't going forward.
    Everything is so sensitive so not to offend anyone these days. They won't have the same sponsors they had back then. You think Snickers will sponsor their PPV's now if they have mixed tag matches where Kane is chokeslamming women, and HHH is banging a corps? Not quite. In fact, all the social media that's available today would have lonely housewife wannabe activists petitioning against WWE on a weekly basis if they went back to it. Donald Trump lashed out because Obama won the election, and almost a million people have petitioned Bloomingdale's or Macy's or whoever to drop his clothing line. You're not allowed to say anything or depict anything these days without causing an uproar. The outcries over the notion that "sex sells" would be outragious.

So NO. The sponsors won't be there in this day and age.
    ANYONE can have edgier storylines! Wrestlers are actors. Physical theatre ACTORS. I'm not saying whether or not the attitude era would work now or not, but the storylines now are well and truly awful. 3 guys jump Ryback (Evolution and Goldberg) been there done that, Vickie Guerrero GM again (BORING) Cena and AJ KISSING. The NEED to have better storylines because people will end up getting bored. I don't watch Raw as much as I used to and don't even bother with Smackdown. And with TNA, yes, they might have smaller ratings and audiences, but that is a good thing as they can only improve on that and get better and better. The way thing are going in 10 years time, older WWE audiences will get bored and stop watching it especially after legends like The Undertaker will have called it a day by then. TNA will be a lot bigger by that time too. The only way is up for them and the opposite could be said for The WWE
    Brilliantly put! I'm 29 yrs old and I watched the attitude era and I must admit I do miss it. But like you said no wrestler today has that "edge" no disrepect to Mr. Copeland. With todays stars like Kofi, Swagger, Santino?(dont get me started) the new version of AE would be far from believeable. WWE would probably lose to ROH.

Side note: I have WWE 13 and its funny(not in a good way)that they never censored the middle finger in recent installments but they censor that in an AE themed game. Wow. And another weird thing is that they censored ASS in Road Dogg theme but not Billy Gunn or Mark Henry.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.