View RSS Feed

kylos

What really grinds my gears? Episode 3 - Revenge of the Hulkamania.

Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average.
541358_298199903614920_152064677_n.jpg

"Sigh, so it has come down to this. After so many years of watching wrestling, after watching so many great wrestlers, one of these guys just won't go away. I am talking about Mr Ego himself, the Red and Yellow Power Ranger, 'Thunderlips' in all his glory ... It can only be Mr Hulk 'Look at me I am still cool' Hogan.

You would think that wrestling fans would embrace a legend like Mr Hogan, but with the world we live in, we see a society where those big icons are slowly getting old (and somewhat annoying) while no one new is coming through. We have to endure stars like Justin Bieber, John Cena and Lady Gaga, while we look back at the glory days, with men like Freddie Mercury, Michael Jackson, and even Hulk Hogan.

So I am sat there watching TNA wrestling. A company who wants to become cool, but they cling on to dinosaurs. Full respect to what dinosaurs did for our planet, but they became extinct, and they were replaced by much cooler, much younger species. As long as people cling to the past, you cannot move forward, and that is what really grinds my gears."

Thunderlips.jpg
Episode 3 - Revenge of the Hulkamania.

Yes, I went there. It was an easy target, but it had to be done. Mr Hogan will always be one of the most loved, and at the same time, overrated superstars of the wrestling industry.

It is difficult now, with many of the children only being born in the 90s and 2000s, they never got to embrace Hulkamania in its prime. It was a true phenomenon, you can't even compare him to guys like Cena. The only man to be on the same level when it came to merchandising and all-round awareness is Stone Cold Steve Austin. It is difficult to see anyone reaching that level again, it is true that Cena may sell some merchandise, he may have a lot of Facebook/twitter followers, but he is not "cool" to the point that he gets a loud ovation every single time he steps into an arena.

Hogan was like that, he got the crowds to go insane for him. He had the build, he had the catchphrases, he had the move-set. Although it was an incredibly predictable move-set, people didn't care, they paid to see the move-set, and back then you didn't have people calling each other "Marks", and you didn't have people complaining because he wasn't "Wrestling". People were seriously behind him, but he only got there because of help from certain individuals like Vince McMahon, Randy Savage, and other wrestlers who helped to put him over, and build him into a mega star.

He was becoming pretty stale in the early 90's, people wanted change. His politics helped to keep him afloat in the main event picture, until he decided that Vince and the WWF was no longer good for him, so he jumped to WCW. We all know what happened after that, he turned Hollywood and went full-blown heel, forming the nWo, and keeping himself alive for a few more years.

And then guess what? He fell off the cliff. He got to the point where he was no longer the biggest draw. Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Attitude era changed all that, and his larger then life character was no match. He attempted to revive Hulkamania in the WWE not long after WCW went down, but he never quite reached the same level, he was too old, too out of touch with what wrestling had become. He needed to step aside and put over younger talents.

hulk-embed_380x223_926439a.jpgI'm not cool anymore??? When did that happen???

He lost his edge in WCW. Instead of helping to put over the talent of the future, he used his creative control and influence to keep himself, and friends in the main event scene. This created a rift between the mid-card and management, and they were very frustrated. They were doing a lot of the hard work, while guys like Hogan took cuts from their merchandise sales.

What does this tell you about the man? It tells us that Hulk Hogan has one of the biggest ego's in wrestling. He is all about the money, and hogging the spotlight so he can make that money. He has tarnished his legacy by repeatedly creating negative media attention on himself and family. He also made many enemies in his career. Let's go through a list:-

Bret Hart - Back in the early 90's, Hogan and Bret Hart did not get along. Vince wanted a match between the two at Wrestlemania, but Hogan refused. He didn't want to get in the ring with a ring general like Bret. Bret would have made him look like an amateur.

Shawn Michaels - When Hogan came back to the WWE for his last run, he fought Shawn in a match. HBK purposely mocked Hogan by over-selling his moves during their match. This was a dig at Hogan being some kind of wrestling god, and how everyone over-sells his move-set during his matches.

The Iron Shiek - This man helped to put Hogan on the map, when Hogan defeated him for the WWF title. The Iron Shiek was more of a paper champion, as Bob Backlund did not want to lose to Hogan. The Iron Shiek hates Hogan with a passion, and always talks about how he helped to put him over, but Hogan never appreciated it. You can often hear him say "F**k" the Hulk Hogan."

The Ultimate Warrior - If you never saw his shoot videos on Hogan, I highly recommend it. The Warrior goes into details on his life, and how he lived a crazy life filled with drugs, parties, and "swinging" with his wife. Warrior thinks Hogan is trash, and could never find a way out of the business, because he is useless. Warrior found work outside of wrestling, and was able to make a living, while he claims that Hogan continues to take the spotlight and bury the talent of today, to make himself look good. A lot of what he says in his videos are very informative, and can be backed up.

Scott Steiner - I made a blog about the recent Twitter war between Steiner and Hogan. I highly recommend you read that blog, Steiner goes into many subjects relating to Hogan's influence since he came into TNA wrestling. He totally rips him apart, and although he may not be the greatest when it comes to putting a point across, his points are dead on. Don't underestimate Steiner's opinions when he shoots off like he does, he only does that when he has something legitimate to say.

Linda Hogan - Of course, his ex-wife turned on him too. She said many bad things about Hulk during their separation, and afterwards. Claiming he was sleeping around during their marriage, and this was confirmed in the latest "sex tape" scandal.

Vince McMahon - I think Vince hated him for leaving to go to WCW. He only brought him back as he saw it would be good for business, but I feel that Vince thinks he made Hogan, and made wrestling what it was... while Hogan claims it was him who helped put wrestling on the map more then Vince did.

Steve Austin - Steve Austin in his ECW days, he did a promo on Hulk Hogan, and ripped into his character in style. I suppose he was frustrated that he was being held back, while guys like Hogan and Flair continued to be pushed in the spotlight. It was those promos that got him noticed by the WWF and recruited by Vince McMahon.

Hulk Hogan has made many enemies over the years. He has also had many scandals, including the Sex tape scandal, the car accident in which his son was found guilty in injuring John Graziano, and the headlock incident in which the guy sued him for performing it wrong and injuring him.

He also made a reality show, showing his personal life, which became pretty popular, but at the same time, taking away the illusion of his character. This helped to launch Brooke Hogan's career, as she made an album, and now works for TNA wrestling.

Hogan continues to hog the media spotlight to keep his name relevant, despite being 59 years old, and is still regularly shown on Impact Wrestling.
Since he and Bischoff came into TNA in 2010, the company has been heavily criticized for taking away the six sided ring, recruiting many of Hogan's friends, and older wrestlers from the WWF/WCW days, as well as making negative comments about TNA wrestlers such as AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, and Bobby Roode, while praising a rookie like Garrett Bischoff.

It really makes me cringe to see Hogan in a ring, or doing anything anymore. His back is pretty much destroyed, yet he insists on being physical, and if he was able to wrestle, we would probably see him having wrestling matches too.

It was too funny to watch him come out at Bound for Glory, and destroy the majority of the Aces and Eights with one punch to each of their heads. It looked incredibly robotic and fake, and made the group look so weak. When can a group of thugs get laid out by a 59 year old man with a crippled back? Only in wrestling folks.

You may love him, you may hate him, but no one can deny the mans success. He changed wrestling forever, and we will probably never see anyone else like Hogan, but it really is time he found ways to make money outside of wrestling. He doesn't need to be on a major wrestling show every week, he doesn't need to be taking airtime away from the very hungry stars of today, he just needs to become more of a trainer, more of an ambassador who looks on from far away.

The world loved you Hogan, but now you really did make yourself look like a joke. It is difficult to take Hogan seriously anymore, specially since he jumped ship from the WWE after being inducted into the Hall of Fame, that should have been his last major appearance.

0.jpgShould he have continued making sporadic appearences in the WWE, instead of jumping to TNA?

Your time is over Terry, it's not the 80s anymore, Hulkamania is dead. Just look after yourself and try not to get anymore crippled. No one in the wrestling business should end up in a wheelchair or worse. Too many wrestlers died because they didn't take the time to rest, they did too many drugs, and was on the road so much, it should be a lesson that every aging wrestler should know.

So let's all raise our glasses ... to a Legend who tarnished his own legacy. Let's hope he stops doing that, or we will just have to enjoy the ripping of Hulkamania for many more years to come.

25941-hulk_hogan.jpg
"Hulk Still Rules"

And that is what really grinds my gears.

Submit "What really grinds my gears? Episode 3 - Revenge of the Hulkamania." to Digg Submit "What really grinds my gears? Episode 3 - Revenge of the Hulkamania." to del.icio.us Submit "What really grinds my gears? Episode 3 - Revenge of the Hulkamania." to StumbleUpon Submit "What really grinds my gears? Episode 3 - Revenge of the Hulkamania." to Google

Updated 11-09-2012 at 02:02 PM by kylos

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I may be the only one to notice it, but one time when aces and 8s was kicking ass in the ring and then hulk comes out to save the day, he took legit 5 minutes to do his pyro and pose as sting is getting his ass handed to him. Then he goes into the ring and aces and 8s run away from a crippled old man. Just sad, my brother used to idolize the man, now he can't stand him.
    Good blog but can you really blame Hogan for going to business for himself in WCW though? WCW literally gave him everything just to keep him happy and he took advantage of it like any wrestler would do. They gave him along with other talent creative control in their contracts and higher pay even if he didn't feel like appearing at the Nitro shows or house shows. You can't really blame him for taking advantage of that. The blame should simply be put on Eric Bischoff and WCW for not run running WCW properly, not taking care of their mid-card talent, screwing up big money feuds due to talents having creative control, wasting away the WCW's finances just to get big name talent who jumped ship from WWE to WCW a reason not to jump back to the WWE, and also trying to steal other big named talent from the WWE by giving them a buttload of guaranteed money. This is the same company who signed Lanny Poffo to a big contract despite never appearing on WCW television and only working one house show. Jericho stated in his book that Poffo got the same paycheck as him and Jericho worked about 22 dates a month. This company didn't know how to control money even before they signed Hogan.
    Updated 11-09-2012 at 04:18 PM by Dubs
    Yes Dubs, I see your points entirely... And Eric Bischoff has always been an issue in wrestling.. he may somewhat... grind my gears a bit... Anyway WCW was using Ted Turners money, and he gave them enough money to splash it on whatever they wanted. If Ted Turner was a bit more clued up, he would have done something about the crazy spending, but he just let it happen.
    The best blog series since State of the E, hands down.

I gotta agree completely with this blog, in the same breath a lot of what was said in here can apply to Ric Flair as well. If the both of them had decided to train themselves in something else to support them in later life then the respect from the fans would still be there. Or... stupidly enough they invested their money wisely same shit applies.
    Quote Originally Posted by kylos
    Yes Dubs, I see your points entirely... And Eric Bischoff has always been an issue in wrestling.. he may somewhat... grind my gears a bit... Anyway WCW was using Ted Turners money, and he gave them enough money to splash it on whatever they wanted. If Ted Turner was a bit more clued up, he would have done something about the crazy spending, but he just let it happen.
    Exactly. He should have controlled the company's finances instead of just letting things happen. It's ridiculous how much money they were blowing away just to "stick it" to Vince McMahon. WCW was making huge cash, especially in 1997 where Starrcade 97 did 1.8 million buyrates but nope, they even wasted away that money on big contracts with creative control rights.

I do agree that Hogan should have put people over though. There is no reason that Bret Hart vs Hulk Hogan for the WWE title shouldn't have happened. Hogan should have put Bret Hart over instead of stealing Bret Hart's spotlight at Wrestlemania 9 the way he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sneakiness
    The best blog series since State of the E, hands down.

I gotta agree completely with this blog, in the same breath a lot of what was said in here can apply to Ric Flair as well. If the both of them had decided to train themselves in something else to support them in later life then the respect from the fans would still be there. Or... stupidly enough they invested their money wisely same shit applies.
    Highly agree that some of these can apply to Flair, but the guy did a lot to put wrestlers over, and is a true ring general. I can respect him for all his work, but yes, he has made some bad decisions, I can't really put Flair down, it just doesn't feel cool to me
    I dont get the point of this blog? Hulk Hogan tarnished his legacy? so what else is new, Its common in entertainment and prowrestling for that matter. Hogan was a star in the 80's why dont we go back and see all the mega stars in the 80's

Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown
    Became nothing more than a running gag.

Michael Jackson
    I dont think this needs to be explained.

Gary Busy
    Raving lunatic

Mickey Rourke
    Just look what he done to himself.

Corey Haim and Corey Feldman
    Both became a big weird mess and a hollywood laughing stock.

As for prowrestling. Please look at the stars at that time Jake Roberts, Honkey Tonk Man, Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, Iron Sheik and 90 percent of everyone from that time frame is a mess that you cant even hold a conversation with.

Hogan tarnished his legacy, Yeah maybe but thats like someone saying MR T tarnished his legacy. Hogan is nothing but a fade in pop culture. I dont think anyone really cares about the sex tape, Divorce, The odd Daughter relationship, The Nick Hogan accident or any of that, Its just another fucked up 80's has been.... Yeah Hogan has tarnished his legacy but so has a large portion of people from that era and 90% of the prowrestlers from that era have done far worse to their reputation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.