View RSS Feed

Blogging 3:16

The Big Four PPVs

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
So with Survivor Series fast approaching us I thought that now would be as good a time as any to have a think about what the “Big Four” PPVs actually mean to us as fans. As we all know, Wrestlemania is that granddaddy of them all, and has a strong supporting cast in the Royal Rumble, Summerslam and Survivor Series. This to me in theory means that the majority of storylines should be built up around these four PPVs which are evenly spaced out across the year, giving the WWE creative plenty of time to build a story that which we actually care about. (However the ability of this “creative” team could have a whole series of blogs in itself, so I will leave that point here for now)

One thing that really, really annoys me with the current state of the WWE is not only the constant predictability of Raw and Smackdown matches, but the pretty poor excuse for PPVs that the WWE offers us in between the big four. My major gripe of this being that there seemingly never any clean wins at all! We maybe get to see one clean win per week, (note Orton Vs Barrett from Raw), but when we get something along the lines of a Champion vs Champion match on Raw or Smackdown, we all know that it is not going to go down cleanly, or more often than not, just have someone interfere and not even have a finish! Don’t get me wrong, I do understand the necessity of having interruptions and small stand offs where the heel will just get away leaving the audience wanting to see the face get his hands on him even more for the next weeks show, but the WWE seem to have lost the ability to make us care about this type of storyline due to its predictability!

Now the point of never having clean winners in matches leads me on seamlessly to my next point. In my opinion, I just feel that the “big four” PPV’s should be exempt from such annoying run of the mill things in order for them to have that big game feel. Before anyone starts to quote the Montreal Screw Job and various other shenanigans that have occurred at Survivor Series, I am aware that this PPV is no stranger to controversy. In fact it has often left fans stunned because of it! But that can be ok, as long as it is actually a shock and surprise unlike….. Hell in a Cell!!!
Now being English I am in the fortunate position of getting most of the minor PPVs throughout the year for free, and to be honest if I didn’t probably wouldn’t bother ordering them because of how lacklustre they have all become. If I had been on the other side of the pond and had actually paid good money to sit and watch Mild Amount of Unpleasantness in a Cell then I would be furious! It was easily one of the worst endings to a PPV I have seen and just left me feeling very flat and disappointed because with a couple of great matches in there it did have the ability to be a good solid PPV. I have seen many an episode of Raw finish much stronger and leave me wanting more, quite frankly I just didn’t care how the WWE was going to try and explain the mess it had gotten itself into by having the ref low blow Ryback on the following nights show.

Also 3 weeks build up to what is considered to be one of the big four PPVs? What the front door is that all about?!?! And it might as well be two weeks seems as though they have pretty much made last week’s raw obsolete by changing all the matches around just seems stupid. How am I meant to care about the randomly thrown together elimination match in 2 weeks?

I think that generally my major fear is that Survivor Series is in danger of becoming irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. For a PPV that has had so many great moments I just don’t want to see it fall in to a state where no one really cares about it anymore. On a more positive note (because I do love the WWE despite the fact that currently it is a bit terrible and like an annoying sibling that you just put up with and stick by) what I would like to see is something that I know the WWE could easily do because they are without a doubt world class at it. And it is to use the 3 months between Summerslam and Survivor Series as a big build up to Survivor Series. When Wrestlemania season rolls around the WWE can shoot a promo package like no one else. They have the ability to make things seem epic and unmissable. One that springs to mind is the backstage interviews with legends getting their take on matches like HBK V Taker, and wow does it get you excited for Mania!! I just wish that the WWE would start to spend a bit more time on things like this when it comes to PPVs like Survivor Series and actually get me excited. Come on WWE, give it that big game feel like only you know how!!! Make the big four exactly that, the big four! Great matches, near falls, clean wins, fans left in awe, shocks, surprises, some poor chump going through the Spanish announce table! I really want to care about Survivor Series because of its great history, I honestly do. But currently the WWE just isn’t letting me. Please don’t make this same mistake going into the Rumble.

How does everyone else feel about this? Am onto something here? Or am I on my own?

Thanks for reading guys,

follow me on twitter and pose any questions to me that you may have!

@r_hutton91

Submit "The Big Four PPVs" to Digg Submit "The Big Four PPVs" to del.icio.us Submit "The Big Four PPVs" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Big Four PPVs" to Google

Comments

I totally aree with you! I, despite finding it very hard at the moment, am still a massive fan of WWE, although recently i've been watching it less and less 'cause i'm at uni- I still try to catch it or read what's going on and for a long time now, there's been no excitment factor for me. Where are all the video packages? There's no real sense that any of these feuds going into survivor series have any real relevance 'cause from what i've read, everything's been changed so how could it possibly seem even half way legit without any decent build up? I was even more surpised when I read what happened at Hell In A Cell with the ref low blowing Ryback, what sort of last minute we don't have any good angles for this idea was that? Don't get me wrong, I love a good twist like anybody else but that was just so out of the blue. Anyways, great blog, I agree, I think alot of excitement has been lost due to the lack of "proper" build up.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoJones
    I totally aree with you! I, despite finding it very hard at the moment, am still a massive fan of WWE, although recently i've been watching it less and less 'cause i'm at uni- I still try to catch it or read what's going on and for a long time now, there's been no excitment factor for me. Where are all the video packages? There's no real sense that any of these feuds going into survivor series have any real relevance 'cause from what i've read, everything's been changed so how could it possibly seem even half way legit without any decent build up? I was even more surpised when I read what happened at Hell In A Cell with the ref low blowing Ryback, what sort of last minute we don't have any good angles for this idea was that? Don't get me wrong, I love a good twist like anybody else but that was just so out of the blue. Anyways, great blog, I agree, I think alot of excitement has been lost due to the lack of "proper" build up.
    I thought i good twist is post to be out of the blue? Also no one seen it coming, makes a star out of this Brad guy and we don't know if it was last min.
    nice read......but we know that Starcade is the granddaddy of them all.
    I just think it stinks that WWE have the locker room that they do and the Creative team have to rely on guys like the The Rock, Undertaker and Brock Lesnar.

C M Punk, Wade Barret, Dolph Ziggler, Drew Mcintyre, Sheamus, John Cena, Cody Rhodes, The Miz, Daniel Bryan i could go on. These guys plus the rest of the locker room could be built and over time made to look as good as previous superstars but because of a mixture of Linda's campaigns and the lack of creativity they steal ideas from a company they like to pretend does not exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewantu2
    I thought i good twist is post to be out of the blue? Also no one seen it coming, makes a star out of this Brad guy and we don't know if it was last min.
    Yea out of the blue is good for a twist but from what i've seen/read, these guys have no sort of previous history or anything like that so it just seems like a "random attack", i'm interested to see where WWE goes with this though
    First of all the Quality of Survivor Series went down the toilet when Bret Hart left WWF. Most Great matches and moments revolved around Bret Hart.

2nd The quality of the none 4 PPVs have been much better than the Big 3 (lets take out Wrestlemania) . I mean has there been a SumerSlam, Survivor Series or Rumble in the last 5 or 6 years as good as Extreme Rules was this year? or MITB last Year? The list goes on of great PPVs, as a matter of fact for the longest time when we got a sub par Wrestlemania the PPV after (a Backlash or a E.R) have help make up for it.

I dont think The Ryback thing is as big of deal as people make it. It made Ryback and CM Punk both look strong.... WWE has backed them self in the corner, That title has to stay around Punks waist or go on Cenas, Cause the Rock is penciled in to main event Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania for that title. So a Ryback or a Wade Barrett cant just simply win it. The WWE cant just make Ryback lose clean after building all this momentum. So I dont really see a problem in the Hell in a Cell match.
    Updated 11-09-2012 at 06:51 PM by THE_CRIPPLER

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.