View RSS Feed

Dashing Rachel

Should CM Punk vs. The Rock main event the 2013 Royal Rumble?

Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.
For most of its 26-year history, the 30-man Royal Rumble match has always main evented the Royal Rumble. However, there has been four instances where the Royal Rumble match was upstaged by another match. And so without further delay, here are those matches:

UNDERTAKER VS. BRET HART (1996)
The Undertaker versus Bret Hart match for the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble pay-per-view was marred by an interference from Diesel who cost the Undertaker the WWE Championship. That match set up the Undertaker versus Diesel match at WrestleMania XII.

SHAWN MICHAELS VS. SYCHO SID (1997) & UNDERTAKER VS. SHAWN MICHAELS (1998)
The Heartbreak Kid was Vince McMahon's favorite WWE Superstar, so much so that HBK got top billing in two Royal Rumble matches. In 1997, Michaels defeated Sycho Sid for the WWE Championship by controversial means while in 1998, Michaels defeated the Undertaker in a casket match for the WWE Championship which saw Kane turn on the Undertaker.

KURT ANGLE VS. MARK HENRY (2006)
The Angle versus Henry match for the World Heavyweight Championship was notable for the return of the Undertaker of whom Angle had been feuding since the fall of 2005. After the match, Angle's victory celebration was cut short when the Undertaker used his magic to collapse the ring.

And now, let's talk about why I think the rumored CM Punk versus the Rock match for the WWE Championship should main event the 2013 Royal Rumble ​PPV and not the 30-man Royal Rumble match.

When the Rock made his return to Monday Night RAW's historic 1000th episode, CM Punk turned a new leaf when he attacked the People's Champion after the CM Punk versus John Cena match for the WWE
Championship.

Since then, CM Punk has become one of the WWE's top heels and his recent alignment with Paul Heyman has made the "Voice of the Voiceless" being despised by the WWE Universe.

CM Punk's upcoming feud with the Rock will no doubt be featured more often on upcoming episodes of Monday Night RAW, Friday Night SmackDown, and WWE Main Event in the weeks to come.

In other words, expect the CM Punk-the Rock feud to get more publicity than the 30-man Royal Rumble match heading come Sunday, January 27, 2013.

Submit "Should CM Punk vs. The Rock main event the 2013 Royal Rumble?" to Digg Submit "Should CM Punk vs. The Rock main event the 2013 Royal Rumble?" to del.icio.us Submit "Should CM Punk vs. The Rock main event the 2013 Royal Rumble?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Should CM Punk vs. The Rock main event the 2013 Royal Rumble?" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Well, what do you think? Should CM Punk vs. The Rock be the main event at the ​ Royal Rumble ​PPV?
    I don't think CM Punk should be main eventing anything. If WWE were smart, which they have proven otherwise on millions of occasions, they would have Cena vs Rock II at Royal Rumble and then Cena vs Rock III at WM. It's a waste to put Rock in there against anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    I don't think CM Punk should be main eventing anything. If WWE were smart, which they have proven otherwise on millions of occasions, they would have Cena vs Rock II at Royal Rumble and then Cena vs Rock III at WM. It's a waste to put Rock in there against anyone else.
    Care to give some arguments for why Punk shouldn't main event anything? And to why we should have to sit through 2 more Cena vs Rock matches?

On: It depends on who wins the Rumble, if the guy who challenges for the WHC at Wrestlemania wins then yes I think Rock vs WWE Champion should be the Main Event. If Cena, Punk or Rocky win the RUmble then that should main event.
    Personally I'm hoping for a Cena vs Rocky vs Punk match to Main Event Wrestlemania.
    They are jobbing Punk out to a steroid using no-promo idiot who can't even get a regular spinebuster straight. Punk did his part, Ryback messed up (again). The state Punk is in at the moment he can't step in the ring with the Rock. Him winning would be unbelievable and him cheating would make it three in a row, because the way they build Survivor Series he'll never beat Ryback clean. It would be wasted.

I can't believe they are burning this many bridges to make Ryback look good. Punk devaluated (again), Cena in a dumb angle, Ziggler out of anything that resembles a title picture (again), Rhodes and Sandow stalling in the midcard mix, Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett out of the main event picture.. Nobody credible to face Rock, Lesnar or Undertaker..

I'm sorry, I don't often go on a rant.. but I just watched a dvr'd Raw and am sick of the way Punk and Ziggler have to cater to some jackass. Ergo conclusio: no, Punk looks way to weak to go head to head with Rock at this time.
    I always liked Royal Rumble going on last, that is what I'm sticking with. Last time, it was terrible.......
    Quote Originally Posted by timfeyenoord
    Care to give some arguments for why Punk shouldn't main event anything? And to why we should have to sit through 2 more Cena vs Rock matches?

On: It depends on who wins the Rumble, if the guy who challenges for the WHC at Wrestlemania wins then yes I think Rock vs WWE Champion should be the Main Event. If Cena, Punk or Rocky win the RUmble then that should main event.
    Personally I'm hoping for a Cena vs Rocky vs Punk match to Main Event Wrestlemania.
    Because he got real boring, real fast. The addition of Paul Heyman has done nothing but drag him down and make him a sad whiner of a champion. He's become annoying. It used to be cool when he came out. Now it's just like, ugh...again?

Besides, Cena and Rock will draw more buys...and it's about making money, not pleasing the idiots like us on websites.
    The addition of Paul Heyman has done nothing but drag him down and make him a sad whiner of a champion.
    Completely agree, although I'm not sure that it's all on Heyman: the choice to push Ryback is another influence on the whining.

Besides, Cena and Rock will draw more buys...and it's about making money, not pleasing the idiots like us on websites.
    Agree again. That's why will get another HHH vs Lesnar. Summerslam sold well in regard to surrounding ppv's and previous years. I for one liked that match btw, but it caught a lot of flak on the site/forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.