View RSS Feed

The Royal Ramble

The Royal Ramble: Top Ten Hell in a Cell Matches!

Rating: 8 votes, 3.88 average.
As always before you start reading, please respect one another in the comments section and these are my opinions if you don't like it then tough sh*t, go complain in the comment box. Follow me on Twitter! @The_RoyalRamble

The Royal Ramble has returned as promised! It's been a nice two weeks since the last blog I did and I have some big news coming soon in the next few weeks involving me so stay tuned to that. Since Halloween and Hell in a Cell is right around the corner, I decided to make a top ten Hell in a Cell matches. Of course we are going to see a lot of Triple H and Undertaker in this blog! The Hell in a Cell matches were the end of the rivalry matches for many wrestlers and they were more fights than anything! Let's get this blood bath under way

10. Undertaker vs Edge - SummerSlam, 2008
For the better part of 2008, we saw the Undertaker and Edge have a great rivalry for the World Heavyweight Championship. In a match at WWE's One Night Stand, Undertaker lost to Edge in a TLC match for the title but the stipulation was if Edge won then the Undertaker would be banished from the WWE. Undertaker went away for only to return a few months later to finish the rivalry with Edge inside the sadistic Hell in a Cell. This match was the last great and brutal Hell in a Cell in my eyes (exception WM 28). The match was just more of a brawl than a wrestling match. My favorite part was when Edge speared Undertaker through the cell wall and then speared him through the announcer's table. Undertaker would get the win but he wasn't done yet as he choke-slammed Edge from the top of a ladder threw the ring mat. Undertaker then posed while flames came up threw the hole where Edge was choke-slammed. Edge was sent to hell...

9. Undertaker vs Randy Orton - Armageddon, 2005
Hell in a Cell matches are the best place to end a very long rivalry and that's exactly what happened here. Undertaker and Randy Orton were bitter rivals for almost the entire year of 2005. So, a Hell in a Cell match was easily the best choice to end a great rivalry. The match was a bloody fight to the end and Orton had a little help from his father, Cowboy Bob Orton. For as good as this match was, their WrestleMania 21 match was still the best. Orton's cross body onto Undertaker through the table was awesome but the best was when Orton gave Undertaker a Tombstone. The move actually looked like Undertaker hit his head but he was fine. Undertaker would eventually go on to win and the rivalry was done.

8. Undertaker vs Brock Lesnar - WWE Championship, No Mercy, 2002
Brock Lesnar was becoming the next big thing in the WWE at the time and what better to become the next big thing by taking out the dead man! This bloody fight was a epic tale telling the WWE is in for a world of pain! Lesnar made the Undertaker a bloody mess and took him out for awhile. After the match was over, Lesnar climbed to the top and posed with belt as if he was on top of the world as the next big thing was here to stay!

7. Triple H vs Shawn Michaels - Badd Blood, 2004
This was rivalry that lasted for about two years but it was seven years in the making! This would be the final time we saw Triple H and Shawn Michaels face each other in a high profiled one on one match! Like always these two don't disappoint! A classic match for two classic stars! HBK of course doing what he does best by stealing the show. The elbow drop off the ladder to Triple H through the table was a highlight of many. But it was the ending that was amazing. With both stars trading off with their finishers, it would be Triple H to pull out two more Pedigrees for the win!

6. Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold vs Triple H vs Undertaker vs The Rock vs Rikishi - WWE Championship, Armageddon, 2000
What a way to end the year of 2000 than by having a 6-way Hell in a Cell match for the WWE Championship involving arguably the six biggest stars of the Attitude Era! Kurt Angle would get the cheap win after Stone Cold was the one that gave a Stunner to the Rock! But the moment that stole the match was Rikishi getting choke-slammed off the cell to the well placed truck with hay in it's bed. The Undertaker's facial expression after he did it was priceless with simply rolling the eyes into the back of the head and sticking his tongue out

5. Triple H vs Cactus Jack - WWE Championship, No Way Out, 2000
For Cactus Jack this was the do or die! If Cactus lost he would be fired from the WWE, just one month away from WrestleMania 16! Cactus of course gave it his all. The two brawled for a while until they broke through the cell wall and they brawled onto the announcer's table. They then fought to the top of cell where they had 2x4 wrapped in barbwire with them. They would lit the 2x4 on fire and use it as a weapon. But in the end Triple H would flip Cactus through the cell roof, crashing through the mat below. Triple H would pull him out of the hole and give him a Pedigree to win the match! This would go on record as Mick Foley's retirement match!

4. Triple H vs Chris Jericho - Judgement Day, 2002
I love the way this match started with two wrestlers trading lefts and rights, that's really something you don't see anymore. This match was just a straight fight, they looked like they wanted to hurt one another. Tim White, the referee, got injured due to Triple H throwing Y2J into White, who was then launched into the cell wall. The two would then fight to outside breaking through the cell door. Triple H would then DDT Y2J through one of the announcer tables. The two would fight to the top of the cell bringing a 2x4 wrapped in barbwire with them. Y2J use it on Triple H at first, then applied the Walls of Jericho on top of the Cell. Triple H would get out of it and hit Y2J with a Pedigree for the win. Still to this day, this is the most underrated Hell in a Cell match of all time!

3. Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker - WWE Championship, Badd Blood, 1997 (From my Shawn Michaels blog)
One month before this match, HBK and the Undertaker wrestled at the Ground Zero PPV to a no contest. This match was a #1 contender's match for the WWE Championship and was the be all, end all match, as it was the first ever Hell in a Cell match. This would turn out to be a violent and brutal match. Undertaker would control the first half of the match as HBK looked scared of him at first. Then, HBK turned it up and took over control. HBK was thrown to the outside and hit a cameraman on his way down. Officials tried to get the cameraman out but in doing so, HBK & Undertaker started to fight there way to the outside of the cell. Undertaker would then slam HBK into the cell and HBK got busted wide open. The two then continued to fight to the top of the cell. HBK look like he was running away from and tried to climb down on the announcer's table side. As HBK was climbing down, Taker stomped on his hands and HBK fell through one of the announce tables. HBK looked to be done and they both go back into the ring. Undertaker looked like he was in line to become the #1 contender but then the lights go out. Kane makes his debut and tombstones Undertaker, thus HBK crawls over and covers Taker for the win! The following month would be infamous Montreal Screwjob and change the WWE forever!

2. Triple H vs Undertaker III - End of a Era, WrestleMania 28, 2012
The final two remaining stars of an era that defined the WWE for it is today! It was time to put an end to that era! With special referee Shawn Michaels, Triple H looked to finally put an end to the streak! The match started and it was a fight to the end! This match stole the show and was quite possibly the best match in Triple H's career. There were numerous near falls and close calls but the match kept going on. Triple H would even hit Undertaker multiple times with a sledge hammer but still couldn't get the job done. HBK almost called the match several times but when he went to check on the Undertaker, he was put in Hell's Gate. Triple H saved HBK by hitting Undertaker with a sledge hammer again but HBK rolled out of the ring. Undertaker got up and look to Tombstone Triple H but Triple H countered and pushed Undertaker into a Sweet Chin Music from HBK to a Pedigree from Triple H! I actually thought the match was over but Undertaker kicked out! Undertaker then finally beat Triple H down until he could barely stand up. Triple H gave him a crotch chop then Undertaker hit him with the sledge hammer and gave him a Tombstone for the win. After the match, all three superstars help each other out of the ring as the era was over.

1. Undertaker vs Mankind - King of the Ring, 1998
Without a question, before anyone started reading this blog, you had to have known that this match was going to be number one! This is match is sole reason why the Hell in a Cell match is so damn popular today! Mankind put his body and life on the line in this match! This probably the most violent and most brutal match in the history of the WWE. To watch Mankind get thrown from off the cell to the Spanish announce table was the unbelievable thing I have ever seen in pro wrestling! And to hear J.R.'s call "Good God almighty they killed him! As God as my witness he is broken in half!" That call still gives me goose-bumps! Then to watch him get choke-slammed threw the cell to the ring below is the hardest part to watch. Mankind actually getting knocked out for a couple minutes from it. It still amazes me to this day that when he was choke-slammed through the cell is what hurt Mankind the most and not the fall through the table! To kill time they had the Undertaker choke-slam Terry Funk right out of his shoes. But I will never forget the face of Mankind, when looks at the camera and looks like he is smiling only to find out that he bit a hole around his mouth and was just putting his tongue in place to feel where the hole was. Just when you think the match couldn't get any more violent, Mankind pulls out a bag of thumbtacks and pores them out to the king. They fight for awhile and Mankind gets the Mandible Claw on the Undertaker from behind. Undertaker then stands up with Mankind on his back and slams him down the tacks! Mankind starts to roll around on the tacks, screaming in pain. Undertaker then choke-slams him down the tacks! Then finally, the Undertaker Tombstones Mankind for the win. This match is easily a fan favorite for many of the Attitude Era fans like myself! To this day this match stands out in my mind as one the most brutal and violent matches in history of the WWE!

Thank you guys for reading I hope everyone enjoyed it! Please leave some comments and follow me on Twitter @The_RoyalRamble!!!!!! Thank you!

Submit "The Royal Ramble: Top Ten Hell in a Cell Matches!" to Digg Submit "The Royal Ramble: Top Ten Hell in a Cell Matches!" to del.icio.us Submit "The Royal Ramble: Top Ten Hell in a Cell Matches!" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Royal Ramble: Top Ten Hell in a Cell Matches!" to Google

Updated 10-23-2012 at 05:57 PM by The Royal Ramble

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Undertaker vs Triple H at Mania was one of the best wrestling matches of all time. It was certainly the absolute best use of a special referee of all time. To say it doesn't deserve its spot on homeboy's list is silly. That match is the kind of match that deserves to be in a Cell because the story was larger than the cell. That's the key to any gimmick match. The match has to be bigger than the gimmick and Taker/HHH defines that concept.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.