View RSS Feed

Beer_Villain

Gentlemen's Corner: Promo's and Mic Time.

Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
Dear Sir's and Madam's,
After a hiatus of 9 consecutive months, i present to you again: "The Gentlemen's corner".

This time i would like to discuss a matter that is quite bothering me in multipile way's. The mic time on weekly (WWE) shows.

Hooray, we got ourselves more time for the program!
Since July we (might) enjoy the privilege of a three hour edition of WWE Monday Night Raw and since that privilege of an enlarged timeslot has been granted i've been noticing that the wrestling content of the show hasn't increased with it. Instead of that we see more promo's and plug-ins for consumable items i don't want to have nor do i have the feeling to buy them after hearing the plug in. We get a 20 minute in ring opening promo, a 20 minute in ring closing promo, 20 other minutes of other backstage promo's (but in the spirit of: quantity over quality) and besides that we get like 10 mins twittercrap and 10 mins of advertising crap. Ofcourse, i know WWE is depending on advertisers and sponsors to finance this whole wrestling circus, but the roots of the product is still wrestling. If i had a friend who wanted to see alot of talking with a bit of voilence i would recommend him/her to download a "Jerry Springer: too hot for tv" dvd.
The point is: if you lengthen the duration of (what is in the essence) a wrestlingshow, then give your audience more wrestling.

Allow me to hear them out.
Now before we continue our journey trough the text that is my humble opinion, i want to make a point clear. I -in fact - don't dislike promo's. In fact, i'm quite fond of them. That is, when they actually matter.
Let me make it clear, i loved the Bryan Danielson (yes indeed, i still refuse to call him D.B.) and Kane anger management promo's. It was a while ago since we saw this kind of regular funny promo's. And even though the WWE hit gold with this one (it very much reminded me the Hurricane with the Rock promo's from 2003 and the feeling of how enjoyed that series of promo's. For al who don't know them, look them up on youtube because they are very worth your while), they also have 9 promo's (Raw and SD! combined) each week that are utterly crap. In my opinion they aren't giving the talents that can really exploit the promo time, the time. Instead of that they are just focussing on talents that sell the most merchandise and ofcourse on the diva's. I won't say that i can't comprehend why the WWE is doing this, but i really believe (and dare say) that this isn't really a strategy with alot of longevity. Instead of that, give the promo time on talent people want to hear to talk the talk. The WWE wants me to be interested into the Tag champs again? You have my permission, but then let me hear the challengers tale of why they believe they are lusting for the titles.

Give me something genuine
And if people get the time to say their piece, please for the sake of my intellect (i'm no genius, nor an intellectual savior of the masses), don't re-chew everything of me. Nothing is more of a turnoff for my investment of interest in a wrestler then let them tell me week in, week out the same old .... I understand that people tune on different times and some don't turn in regulary, but when you tell the same message every week i'm not going to buy your story and that hurts the (illusion) of sincerity of the message. I know that you're the Best in the World, but hearing it evertime since January every consecutive week, is quite annoying. And ofcourse, since we're on the topic of our beloved (ICW) Champ, the promo he dropped some less then 1,5 year ago was amazing. It was a masterpiece, but calling every promo you make calling a "pipebomb" is like calling every woman you see a "beautifull lady that you would like to have intercourse with to make babies." My point on this one is: If you want your fanbase to have a special connection with some of the promo's you deliver, don't make your 'promo-gimmick' ordinary.

Till this far for the blog topic, i thank you all for your audience and time. Please do not expect anything weekly, since i want to talk topics in a different way, to broughten your vision of the product we all watch, love and hate at the same time.
I'll have to ask you all to excuse me, i have to make my leave. Bourbon and other enlightenments are on the corner. Make yourselfs at home and with kind regards i thank you all again for bearing with me.

Ta-da!

Submit "Gentlemen's Corner: Promo's and Mic Time." to Digg Submit "Gentlemen's Corner: Promo's and Mic Time." to del.icio.us Submit "Gentlemen's Corner: Promo's and Mic Time." to StumbleUpon Submit "Gentlemen's Corner: Promo's and Mic Time." to Google

Updated 10-24-2012 at 09:13 AM by Beer_Villain

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Several typos (a few of which a spell check would have caught), but I got your message and I agree with it. I was astonished (to to the point of rewinding my DVR to make sure I hadn't missed something) when they began this week's Raw with ... a wrestling match! A wrestling show starting out with a wrestling match?!!? Whooda thunk it?

And just to add my own entry to your list of complaints: the constant reshowing of things that we've seen not only on other shows but on THE CURRENT show. Sometimes it makes a little sense for someone who "tuned in late" to see something that happened an hour ago, but to see something that happened "before the commercial break?"

It's like they're trying to fill air time. I've said it before, I record (DVR) the programs and watch them, and I really don't spend more time watching them now at 3 hours than I did before at 2 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vondraco
    And just to add my own entry to your list of complaints: the constant reshowing of things that we've seen not only on other shows but on THE CURRENT show. Sometimes it makes a little sense for someone who "tuned in late" to see something that happened an hour ago, but to see something that happened "before the commercial break?"
    Good point that totally slipped my mind. But indeed, it's like they are thinking that we have acute amnesia after a commercial break.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.