View RSS Feed

Delirious

The Problem With Surprises (TNA BFG Aftermath)

Rate this Entry
The Way I See It (TWISI) - The Problem With Surprises (TNA BFG Aftermath)

I didn't plan on writing another blog so quickly, but after watching TNA's Bound for Glory this evening, I have a lot to say. Most of this blog (if not all of it) is simply going to be my opinion, thoughts, etc. on what happened at TNA's biggest pay-per-view of the year. I hope you guys enjoy the read and please feel free to leave comments - agree with me, disagree with me, yell at me, call me a girl - I don't care, just leave whatever is on your mind in a comment!

-----

The Matches

First and foremost, I was incredibly wrong on my predictions I posted a couple of days ago. In that blog, I said this pay-per-view wasn't very predictable and that was evident this evening. While I predicted most of the outcomes incorrectly, I am fine with some of them. However, there are two outcomes in particular that irritate me:

1. Rob Van Dam winning the TNA X-Division Championship

Listen, I know RVD is over with TNA fans around the world. And, along with that, he probably brings in quite a bit of money on merchandise, etc. That's fine, but why have him win the X-Division Championship? In my previous blog, I said I'd be okay with it if he won, but I lied. It accomplishes nothing. The beauty of TNA's X-Division is anyone can beat anyone -- it has a "any given Sunday" feel to it. No one is a bigger star than the division. By putting the belt on RVD, that is no longer the case. When he wrestles the current guys in the division -- Sonjay Dutt, Zema Ion, Douglas Williams, etc. -- it'll constantly be a "David vs. Goliath" battle. He's bigger than the division and because of that fact, he's going to harm the division by being champion. All of his matches are going to appear one-sided on paper and the only way I see him losing the title is in some sort of three-way match where he isn't involved in the finish or something. Bad move, TNA.

Zema Ion was starting to establish himself. When I listened to the crowd's reaction for him at BFG, people hated the guy! That's what you want out of your heels. You want the fans to dislike the individual. Ion was getting over; and he needed that one solid victory to really solidify his spot. And RVD would have been that victory, but instead TNA gave the win to RVD, a win he didn't need. RVD doesn't even want to be in TNA -- and yet, he's now the champion in the division that made TNA what it is today. I hate it. I just hate it.

2. Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez winning the TNA Tag Team Champions

I don't know if I'm more disappointed with the finish or the match as a whole. There were some good spots throughout; none better than that springboard move to the outside by AJ Styles. But I guess I hoped they'd accomplish more in this match. For example, they've been building tension between Angle and Styles the past few weeks, so I figured they'd use this platform to set a feud between the two of them in motion. They did not, which was disappointing. Also, I really think Daniels and Kazarian needed to keep the belts because they are TNA's only real solid tag team -- and on top of that, much like Zema Ion, they are over as heels! To me, Guerrero and Hernandez are a formidable team, but they're the kind of duo that is booked for filler purposes only. Extra bodies in a match. I don't think they should have won the belts, at least not yet.

But I digress, it's not as upsetting to me as RVD winning the X-Division championship. I was just really surprised TNA took the belts off Daniels and Kazarian.

3. Spanish announce table

This isn't a match complaint, but it irritated me -- so it fits in this section!

Okay, so while the situation was funny, I couldn't help by wonder why TNA made the Spanish announce team commentate the majority of the show with the monitors on their laps. Seriously, how hard would it have been to move the broken table and replace it with a functioning table? I mean, it's already embarrassing anyway -- Tenay and Taz have a sophisticated announce table, while they had a wooden table with a cloth over it.

It was humorous, but I couldn't understand why they just didn't give them a new table for comfort.

But overall...

The matches were fantastic. The match between James Storm and Bobby Roode was ridiculous! Roode is one of my favorite wrestlers today, but I have so much more respect for him after he took the tacks -- not once, but twice! Super legit and kudos to him. Those two put on a great match, as well as the tag title match -- and of course, the main event was tremendous from start to finish.

I guess I'm okay with Hardy winning. I just thought it would have been better to have Aries retain -- and perhaps have them face off once more and Hardy could win that match. But it's not too upsetting, I just really like Aries. And judging from the fans, so does everyone in Phoenix! I couldn't believe the amount of cheers Aries received to go along with the amount of boos Hardy received. Crazy stuff.

Oh, and I want to mention the Al Snow vs. Joey Ryan match. I was wrong about Al, he can still go in the ring. Matt Morgan coming out during the match caught me off-guard. I was actually surprised by that, so that was cool. I thought he was going to kick Joey too, but apparently not. I'm not sure if those two are going to do something as a tandem now, or if Joey was just in the right place, at the right time. My only complaint: isn't Morgan supposed to be kept away from the ring? I'm not sure why security didn't chase him off -- instead, TNA allowed him to take in the glory inside the ring. That was surprising, but it's not a big deal.

But I repeat once more -- great show, great matches... very solid.

The Problem With Surprises

I'm going a bit of a different direction with this section. The focus is still on Bound for Glory, but I want to talk about some of the "surprises" and "reveals" that went down throughout the show. You see, as the title says, there's a problem with surprises. So much hype, build-up, etc. goes into a "surprise" or a "reveal" that by the time it happens, it's kind of a let down, you know? And there are two in particular that let me down at Bound for Glory.

1. Tara's "Hollywood" boyfriend

First of all, I'm disappointed that I didn't see this one coming. I remember reading an article on this website a while ago that TNA had signed someone from Big Brother. And of course, Tara's boyfriend is "Jesse" from Big Brother. Who in the hell is he? This is what I'm talking about. Tara talks about her "Hollywood" boyfriend for weeks; and in an interview she did this weekend, she said he's a huge star. And again, I repeat, who in the hell is that guy? No one watches Big Brother!

He's unnecessary. He won't accomplish anything in TNA. The company has so many people that are "green" on their roster already: Alex Silva, Rob Terry, etc. They don't need someone else like this "Jesse" guy. He wasn't a big reveal. Everyone was curious who her boyfriend was -- so, I guess in a way TNA accomplished something -- but now no one cares because no one knows who he is!

Stupid.

2. Devon in Aces and Eights

Okay, I have a lot of negative things to say about this "surprise," but I have to say one thing: kudos to TNA for keeping it hidden. As far as I was concerned, Devon was no longer with the company. He was perhaps on his way back to the WWE and that was that. When I thought of the Aces and Eights possibilities, Devon never popped into my head. So, again -- kudos on that, TNA.

And I want to say one thing! No one will believe me, but I knew it was Devon as soon as he hit the ring and put Bully through the table with the Spinebuster. Maybe others had the same thought, but I said openly: "that's Devon." And I'll be damned. I'm proud of myself on that one.

But anyways.. here is the problem.

No one cares about Devon! It's what I was saying earlier: you build something up. Make people care about it so much. You have the attention of everyone. We all want to know: who's it going to be? And it reaches a point to where it's built up so high, that practically any "surprise" or "reveal" is going to be a disappointment.. But come on, Devon? I'll admit, it was a bit shocking in terms of: "what the hell is he doing?" But I wanted it to be someone bigger! TNA thinks Devon is a star, he's not someone I care about! For such a big spot, I expected someone better. But you know what? Like I said, I probably would have been disappointed with anyone in that situation.

I just -- I don't know, I've never liked Devon, so this is very disappointing to me. TNA hid it well, but the disappointment bunny takes the cake for me.

-----

And that's all I really had for you guys. I had so much I wanted to say after watching the show, I just had to post something. Don't get me wrong, I bought this pay-per-view and I'm willing to say that it was $40 well spent, but I just wasn't happy with how a few things went down. But overall, it was a good show -- it had great wrestling and man, oh, man -- that crowd in Arizona was into it!

But yeah, I hope you guys enjoyed the read.

Submit "The Problem With Surprises (TNA BFG Aftermath)" to Digg Submit "The Problem With Surprises (TNA BFG Aftermath)" to del.icio.us Submit "The Problem With Surprises (TNA BFG Aftermath)" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Problem With Surprises (TNA BFG Aftermath)" to Google

Updated 10-14-2012 at 11:27 PM by Frank

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Big brother guy worked for me on the level that when Tara was talking about "Stace and George" and asked Gail to invite her "Chef Husband" (who is actually pretty popular), I knew they had to go with a no-name to make it at least funny. If it would have been a B lister, it would have been more of a letdown, but this way didn't bother me since I have no clue what "Big Brother 8" is.

Devon was a swerve. I did not expect it. I am pleased that TNA managed to keep me on my toes with that one. This served to help the wheels turn on the idea that I am about to present to you...

I think TNA is writing their shows based on the primary reactions of one thing; the reactions they get from the Impact Zone. I don't think they realized that Aries would get the overwhelming response he got in Phoenix. Hardy is the crowd favorite in the Impact Zone, so they sold the PPV to those fans who are vocal in the Impact Zone. This is why we see Devon in a featured spot for A&8s because regardless of what us outside of that building think, they see a consistent following for Devon (personally I think Devon is underrated and can impress when given the ability). It's also why RVD wins the X Title. Zema got a pretty good cult following and hatred as a heel. You see this with the bit of heat he got at the PPV. But in the Impact Zone, the only real reaction he ever gets is when talking about Sorensen.

The reason why I am bringing up this point is because I was going through the timelines on twitter (Such a wrestling mark, I got one to follow my favorite wrestlers) and all I witnessed were comments of massive negativity. While I agree with freedom of speech, I do think you can get your point of distaste in a product without simply stating "FUCK YOU! THIS SHIT IS BULLSHIT!" and so on. Maybe, if we would take the time to show TNA the things that we like and compose a message of thing we don't like that have a reason as to why we don't like it, then TNA can see that they have a fan base outside of Florida that isn't considered "hostile territory" when they start moving further away from the Impact Zone. Phoenix was a great example of what is out there for TNA, but if we don't take the time to inform them of what their fan base likes (without looking like typical trolls) then they will be stuck utilizing the Impact Zone filled with casual fans as a way to judge what their fan base wants.
    I was wanting Ion to keep the title til Jesse Sorrenson comes back and wins it. Didn't see the real point in RVD winning it. Just another thing he can say he has done, but it doesn't help Ion, Sorrenson, X-Divison if you ask me.

I didn't have high expectations for Tara's boyfriend. People all over the website talking about it possibly John Morrison, but everyone would have known it wasn't true. They got the buzz they wanted, but her winning the KOs title is good because Tess was stale and I didn't like her that much. Hopefully Velvet takes the belt off of her now that she is resigned.

I hear what you are saying? I was hoping they would let Devon go. I think he was a waste of space who they had nothing for. Bully Ray on the other hand had something. Devon was just TV champion because they had nothing else for him. I was shocked he kept the title as long as he did. However, I'm glad I actually know someone in the group. Better him in my eyes than some WWE jobber or someone I don't know.
    I agree it should of been Cliff Compton that got reveled last night. I mean everyone knows he is the guy with the long hair in the group but at least he would be a fresh face that has not seen his breakout moment yet well rumor is more are to be reveled all I know the two who were in the match were big guys lol
    I would have been more satisfied if it was Bully Ray AND Devon on Aces & 8's
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.