View RSS Feed

dragonsrevenge

CM Punk DVD: Another outstanding WWE doc

Rate this Entry
[FONT=Verdana]One thing I've been consistently happy with regarding WWE as of late have been their documentaries. From the great Shawn/Bret DVD to the awesome Stone Cold DVD to the wonderful Edge one, they've been really great in telling these compelling, fourth-wall-breaking stories. What I love about them is how real they are. They leave almost no stone unturned, aren't afraid to let people in on their jargon, and even confirm what smarks have known for years. These documentaries are about as close to real and in depth, not just regarding the wrestler being documented, but regarding WWE and even the industry as a whole. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]They've bared these truths for people before, from Shawn's smile speech/feigning an injury to Stone Cold and Bret's double turn and later his walking out on the company to Edge and Lita's affair on his doc, (and a big kudos to having Matt on it). The truth and reality isn't quite as present in those docs as it is in CM Punk's. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]As we've heard before, Punk had majority control in this documentary, and you can tell. It features, in depth, his days in IWA Mid-south, ROH (which was a shock to me; seeing current WWE Punk on a WWE product in an ROH ring was shocking, and maybe even a sign of something yet to come?) to OVW. You hardly see any DVD focus so much on one's pre-professional career as you do here. It just underscores how vital the indy scene was to his being. I'd say the most surprising part of the indy thing, besides the whole indy chapter itself, and ROH was having Chris Hero on there. It was also great that they have now given ROH some much welcome mainstream exposure. I would've liked to have comments from Samoa Joe. A bit of.. well, anything on the Punk/Bryan feud seemed mandatory, considering how much they hyped it up going into the OTL PPV. It's nowhere to be found. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]If I had any complaint it's that Punk holds back just a little bit regarding how he felt being treated the way he was once from the time he got signed to his promo. There's such a contrast between his feelings in his promo, to how he reacts to it now, you really want him to describe that time with more intensity since the rest of the DVD is so bare and honest. Especially since HHH, Hayes, Heyman and even Cena are a bit more honest about him. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]This DVD was worth the wait, and it by no means disappointed. Production-wise it's the most different and unique. With the above grievances aside, it's surely the most definitive word on CM Punk you're gonna get on a WWE-produced DVD. There are just some things that felt like they could've been covered better, especially since WWE was willing to cover what it did in the first place (More on Summer of Punk, anything on Danielson/Punk, words from Joe, some of those Hero/Cabana/Joe matches). It's still not my favorite doc, but it was well worth waiting for. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]4/5[/FONT]

Submit "CM Punk DVD: Another outstanding WWE doc" to Digg Submit "CM Punk DVD: Another outstanding WWE doc" to del.icio.us Submit "CM Punk DVD: Another outstanding WWE doc" to StumbleUpon Submit "CM Punk DVD: Another outstanding WWE doc" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I agree with you great set still watching matches from it. I think the only reason Joe was not on the set is because the lawsuit going on with TNA and WWE. I am guessing you have the dvd version because the blu ray covers allot more.
    [QUOTE=awesomeone22;bt67643]I agree with you great set still watching matches from it. I think the only reason Joe was not on the set is because the lawsuit going on with TNA and WWE. I am guessing you have the dvd version because the blu ray covers allot more.[/QUOTE]
    I have the blu-ray and actually didn't watch those extras until after I wrote this. They aren't enough to add or take away from the review. Kudos to them for including the invisible microphone. The ferris bueller nod was awesome as well.
    I've yet to see the Shawn/Bret documentary but I've heard great things about it so I'll check it out later.

As for the CM Punk DVD, it was awesome. I loved the fact that he was able to talk about his IWA stuff along with his matches with Samoa Joe. It's truly great how he was able to reach the top in the WWE despite nobody having faith with him since the beginning of his OVW run. Great DVD.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.