View RSS Feed

Wrestling_Deluxe_08

RAW 10/1 Ratings Breakdown - The Horrid 2.5 edition of The Deluxe Lounge

Rating: 4 votes, 2.00 average.
Alright, I'm sure the cat was out of the bag WAY before I wrote this blog. Yes. This past RAW had the lowest rating SINCE 1997 and no, cause I know many people are going to make excuses, it was not because John Cena was gone. No, it was not because of football. If you want my full opinions on what I believe made the shows decrease in ratings this week, watch the video of the week.

With that said, let's feed you some numbers.

The October 1st WWE RAW did a 2.54 cable rating with 3.50 million viewers. If you've been keeping up with my blogs, you've noticed that the ratings for the last month have gone down an entire point for the most part. It isn't just a coincidence that WWE all of a sudden dropped from 3.1s and 3.2s to 2.8, 2.7, and now 2.5. WWE isn't doing something right and until they fix it, I fear the ratings are only going to get lower. As I've said before, this is the lowest rated non-holiday RAW in 15 years.

The opening segment with CM Punk, Paul Heyman, Vickie Guerrero, Dolph Ziggler, AJ Lee, Kane and Daniel Bryan started with a 2.74 quarter rating and gained 4,000 viewers. That's about the average rating we get at the start of most of the three hour RAWs, so this was not too bad. It did what it needed to do. It established how Punk feels about John Cena getting another shot at HIAC and also set up the main event. I do wish it was a bit shorter though 20 minutes a bit too long for an opening.

Sin Cara and Rey Mysterio vs. Primo and Epico plus Antonio Cesaro vs. Brodus Clay lost 461,000 viewers. Ouch. We get to the first few matches and we are already losing ratings. WWE might need to start doing backstage interviews before their matches so they can know and understand what is going on. I do like the tag team tournament though. Considering how badly the company was lacking in tag teams just a year ago, this is a BIG improvement. I do feel sorry for Antonio Cesaro though. You have a great talent with a TON of potential, but they're not giving him much to work with. The way he picked up Brodus Clay and slammed him for the neutralizer was VERY impressive .... but it meant absolutely nothing when the match only lasted two minutes. I repeat. The match only lasted TWO MINUTES. If you don't build up to things and give them meaning, no one will care. This is a prime example of that.

Zack Ryder vs. The Miz lost another 47,000 viewers and did a 2.37 quarter rating. Ryder jobs to the Miz, like he should. This did nothing to progress anything, honestly. Just a random match.

The debate with Big Show and Sheamus gained 421,000 viewers which is about the same as the usual 9pm growth. The usual time viewers tuned in to RAW, and dear god .... I feel sorry for all of them. This segment was HORRIBLE. I'm sorry. Sheamus playing a comedy character is utter shit. I agree with Big Show. This segment was stupid and I don't have any idea why they were out there doing it. As soon as I saw Big Show's podium collapse, I changed the channel. I didn't even see the horrific tout Sheamus did with the Rey Mysterio mask. Ugh .... just bad.

Tensai vs. Ryback and Eve Torres vs. Beth Phoenix lost 350,000 viewers. I hope I'm not the only one that laughed his ass off at the horrendous botch by Ryback. Hahaha! To all the fans saying it was Tensai's fault for tea-bagging, you might be right but Ryback should have compensated regardless. This match was all I needed to see that Ryback is not ready for the main event scene. Oh, and the divas match was, well, a match. Made sense, but still a match. Glad to know we have a storyline going for the diva's division at least.

Santino Marella vs. Heath Slater gained 222,000 viewers. Well, isn't this a fabulous surprise! Two men you least aspect getting a boost in viewers. This is a nice audience for the new stable formed between Slater, McIntyre, and Mahal to get some recognition. I believe the stable is named ENCORE. So apparently, this must be WWE's way of repaying Slater for all his work with the legends. Hell, I'm fine with it. I like all three wrestlers. Plus, they beat up Santino so they get major points from me. Haha. I do wish WWE would explain to us exactly WHY they're forming a stable.

Sheamus vs. Damien Sandow lost 63,000 viewers in the 10pm timeslot.
Sandow OWNED this match. This match really opened my eyes and helped me realize the type of talent The Intellectual Saviour of the Masses is. It also let me know how much of a failure Sheamus is as a world champion. When a newcomer can outperform you as a world champion, there is a serious problem there. I'm sorry. Typical ending with Sheamus dominating both opponents for no reasons. Yay.

JR APPRECIATION NIGHT segment with CM Punk, Paul Heyman, and Ryback gained 461,000 viewers for a show-high 2.89 quarter rating.
First time in a while we actually kicked the third hour off with a pretty decent rating. No surprise here. Jim Ross was absolutely fantastic in his confrontation with CM Punk. Both of them killed and my interest for the HIAC match has gone up. I did not particularly like the confrontation between Punk and Ryback, however, but it is just my opinion. There isn't anything wrong with a teaser.

Kofi Kingston vs. Alberto Del Rio lost 824,000 viewers for a 2.29 quarter rating. Well, now you know where the show fell off. Again, after watching the show for so long and not really having much to salivate on, fans get exhausted and tune out. The match did nothing and meant nothing. This is a prime example of what happens when you don't give fans something to care about or something they can chew on. Wrestling isn't everything people. Anyways, basically 21% of the viewers were lost following the JR segment. 38% of teenage boys, 25% of Males 18-49, 28% of teenage girls and 20% of Women 18-49 tuned out at that point.

The main event with Kane and Daniel Bryan vs. CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler gained 532,000 viewers for a 2.70 overrun rating. Not a bad gain for the main event, but even this match could not save this show. The match was good and the ending was SUCH a nice touch to what happened last month the last time Punk and Ziggler teamed up. On top of that, Daniel Bryan and Kane are DOMINATING the tag team scene and bringing more eyes, credibility, and recognition to the titles. So the people that actually do beat Daniel Bryan and Kane will now beat the same tag team that beat the WWE champion and the future WWE champion. GREAT way to end the show! AJ being involved did not bother me one bit either.

Well. There you have it. That's it for this week's deluxe lounge. If you want my full opinions on the show, check out the video below:

See you next week for more numbers.

Submit "RAW 10/1 Ratings Breakdown - The Horrid 2.5 edition of The Deluxe Lounge" to Digg Submit "RAW 10/1 Ratings Breakdown - The Horrid 2.5 edition of The Deluxe Lounge" to del.icio.us Submit "RAW 10/1 Ratings Breakdown - The Horrid 2.5 edition of The Deluxe Lounge" to StumbleUpon Submit "RAW 10/1 Ratings Breakdown - The Horrid 2.5 edition of The Deluxe Lounge" to Google

Updated 10-04-2012 at 04:44 PM by Wrestling_Deluxe_08

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions , User News

Comments

I missed this blog last week. Keep up the good work, both with the writing and videos.
    I like reading your blogs, you analyse pretty well and the breakdown of each segment is interesting to read. Keep up the good work

Btw Your video is far too long for me to watch.
    Wrestling isn't everything ... Ha! That's why I watch Tna
    The reason why the rating are down is as simple as this:

1. True wrestling fans watch TNA and WWE. So, the number of people who are wrestling fanatics are around 1 million and you will see this number go down because we are getting tired of the PG stuff, the same stuff over and over again, the squash matches (that last worked when Lesnar came in the first time), and less wrestling (more talking).

2. School has started up again and since RAW went to three hours the TV is turned on from 8 to 10 and the kids go to bed after 10. No longer is the TV on from 10 to 11. The numbers also come from the parents who turn on the TV and leave the room so the kids can watch wrestling. The parents know it is a PG show...so it is okay. No longer the late summer nights.

3. Monday Night Football

4. No more polarizing characters. Who is left? Cena is for the kids and no one else. We die hard fans no longer have the (in no order) The Hardys, Edge and Christian, Benoit (before the murder/suicide), Dudleys, The Rock, Stone Cold, Jericho (1st run when he was the best heel ever), Eddie, The original DX, Angle (WWE version), Undertaker (when he was healthy), Mankind, Shane McMahon, Lita, Trish, and Steve Blackman. This is just to name a few. We loved them or hated them. Now, we do not care. That is the problem. We do not care.

5. We were shit on with the Punk MITB (2011). It has left a bad taste in our mouths that has not gone away (I was a fan of Punk until the MITB PPV when he won and came back two weeks later). We (the wrestling universe) screwed (it should be called the MITB screwjob) when Punk dropped his pipebomb, said what he said, won at MITB, came back two weeks later, and nothing changed for the better. Does VKM think we are morons.

6. No one gives a crap about Twitter, Tout, Myspace or whatever. We want to watch wrestling.

7. Videos pulled on youtube. I think there is a direct connection between this.

8. Economy is in the toilet and cable is too f'n expensive.

9. Linda running for Senate.

10. HHH married Steph. You do not mix work with pleasure.

The only way to fix this (I hope the trend continues) is to stop watching RAW and Smackdown and just turn on the TV for TNA (nobody said you had to watch it if you hate it). Let the ratings work. I would love to see TNA rating numbers go up and WWE's go down. This is the only way things will get better.
    Dude, you...are...a....boss!! I completely agree with you. And you are not overeacting. Its not the fault that theres football, no Cena, and its not fault that its PG either. WWE in 2008 was actuallt really great and it was PG. I miss where I would actually be entertained by matches and not space out about what I would do to make the product better. I just DVR Raw and usually skip matches/promos I have no interest in.
    Raw definetly needs to progress and gain character development (by the way good analogy with John Cena as a band aid). They also need to use Smackdown to their advantage. I miss Smackdown when it was co-equal to Raw. I miss the Brand Warfare they had and had individual unique characteristics about them. Now whether its Smackdown or Raw, by the time I get to the main event, I am tired and could care less.
    WWE should not be tiring to watch, it should be entertaining to watch.
    Well done, I appluad your thoughts. Seriously, WWE should hire you. And keep it up with the videos and blogs. I am actually thinking of not even watching Raw this week and see how I feel, although I am kind of like you on being a wrestling purist. Again well done
    rating was low not cause the show suck and it do suck it cuz monday night football

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.