View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

Settling for Mediocrity Part 1: Talking vs Cutting a Promo

Rate this Entry
Hey everybody. DK here with a new mini blog series. Meaning that it's not going to be a regular thing. I have two or three ideas now, and may run sequels as things come up but for now, I have these ideas. And Part 1 is going to be my take on mic skills.

You'll notice I affectionately titled this blog "Settling for Mediocrity" because in my mind, that's what we're doing. There's nothing we can do, outside of stop watching wrestling, to change this mediocre product we call the wrestling industry. But, here's my take nonetheless. Everywhere I turn. Whether it's reading comments on news post, blogs, forums, discussions, etc. There's this term that gets thrown around when trying to determine the value of a superstar. That term is "Mic Skills". Now, I firmly agree that mic skills are an important part of being a star, especially in today's wrestling world. I'm going to call some things out here and you may or may not agree with me. But it's all about perception. It's how I perceive things which could be considerably different than how someone else perceives it. But to me, there's a difference between talking and cutting a good promo.

Wade Barrett and Dolph Ziggler are going to be my examples here of people who 'just talk'. Simply put, that's all they do. They just talk. They don't do anything that stands out to me and makes me think, "Wow, they're really good on the mic". Rather, all they do is talk. Compare that to guys like Cena, The Rock, Stone Cold, HHH, HBK, Jericho, CM Punk, Mick Foley, Edge, Christian, JBL, Hall, Nash, New Age Outlaws...Okay, you obviously get the point. What these guys had were real mic skills. They were smooth. They could work the crowd. They had unbelievable charisma. And everyone wanted to hear them talk, whether it was to cheer them or to boo them. A big thing that's missing today, with guys like Miz, Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, all these future stars.

Now not to completely discredit all of today's stars, I am going to credit several guys in today's wrestling that do have very good mic skills. Santino is one. Everyone is annoyed at him because he's like a joke and a pure comedy act, but let's face it. He can get the crowd going and especially have them laughing. Damien Sandow is probably the best on the mic today outside of Cena and Punk. Cody Rhodes used to be better when he was wearing the protective mask. He had a dark and sinister attitude that made him out to be pretty disturbing, and always got a reaction. Now, he's back to just talking. I honestly enjoyed Heath Slater. He had sort of an old school Jerry Lawler thing going on. The Big Show is another one who was one of the best. Maybe not so much now, but I remember he held his own in a rap off with Cena. He pretty much talks now, but he is very charismatic.

As you can see, the list is pretty short. In my list of stars from before, I didn't exactly cross any generations, so as you can see, the mic skills used to be a big time thing. Now, people just talk and it all sounds the same. The only difference between Sheamus, Barrett, and Ziggler when it comes to their mic work, is their accents.

So where does that leave everything now? Well, I think the ratings speak for themselves. How many times do you think the channel gets changed when Alberto Del Rio is in the ring with a mic in his hand, spouting off about whatever. Or Miz talking about how awesome he is. Or Ziggler bragging about showing off. People don't want to hear them. They're talented wrestlers who work their asses off in the ring and it shows. But I'll be honest, when they grab the mic, it's crickets and a snooze fest. For the future stars of the company, what we have in the mic work department, IS MEDIOCRITY.

I hope you enjoyed this blog. I know it sounds like I'm ranting but I'm really not. I'm just calling it like I see it. I'm sure people have different opinions, but this is my take on it.

Thanks for reading everyone. If you haven't already, become a fan of Voltage Entertainment on Facebook. www.facebook.com/voltageentertainment. We got some great stuff coming out, and I may even produce a weekly wrestling show and get all you guys included with it.

Also, stay tuned for Sudden Impact on Thursday Night.

Be Safe Everyone.

Submit "Settling for Mediocrity Part 1: Talking vs Cutting a Promo" to Digg Submit "Settling for Mediocrity Part 1: Talking vs Cutting a Promo" to del.icio.us Submit "Settling for Mediocrity Part 1: Talking vs Cutting a Promo" to StumbleUpon Submit "Settling for Mediocrity Part 1: Talking vs Cutting a Promo" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great stuff man 100% with you on all of that. Maybe only thing i can poke at is Santino. I know he can work a crowd but usually around the same age of ppl. Hes no bad as the others but hes not that good as well, that and hes accent messes with hes promo cuts sometime.
    Gotta disagree with Wade Barrett, he can talk, did you miss the whole Nexus thing?

He's been on the shelf for a while so of course he's gonna take time to get back where he was.
    New blog, awesome topic, even better name. I'll agree with everything you've stated. One thing I'm going to point out, and it did come off as a shocker; Your whole blog was directed at the E'. If it means anything, and you do in fact plan on making a follow up blog, I'd like to hear your take on the same subject directed to the TNA wrestlers.

Enjoyed it bud, now to follow it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhEonYx
    New blog, awesome topic, even better name. I'll agree with everything you've stated. One thing I'm going to point out, and it did come off as a shocker; Your whole blog was directed at the E'. If it means anything, and you do in fact plan on making a follow up blog, I'd like to hear your take on the same subject directed to the TNA wrestlers.

Enjoyed it bud, now to follow it up.
    It's funny you say that..because I was gonna throw in the statement that nobody can work a mic and cut a good promo in TNA, except Bully Ray and Bobby Roode...and even Bobby Roode is borderline. I'm also fond of Christopher Daniels, simply because he's funny, But you're right, I should follow up and target TNA.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sneakiness
    Gotta disagree with Wade Barrett, he can talk, did you miss the whole Nexus thing?

He's been on the shelf for a while so of course he's gonna take time to get back where he was.
    I did watch during the Nexus angle. And what did he really do except talk? Did all the "Higher Purpose" talk really WOW you?
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    I did watch during the Nexus angle. And what did he really do except talk? Did all the "Higher Purpose" talk really WOW you?
    Their never was a higher purpose either.
    one thing you forget to mention is Austin was really a mid card talent his first 1 year of wrestling and he spend 8 years in different companies leaning and horning his craft before he became one of if not the best promo man in wrestling history...Same thing with Foley.

as for JBL , he was in wrestling about 12 years before he start cutting stellar promos. he found his right charater and something he was comfortable doing.

I do think Wade Barrett can cut a great promo if motivated and allowed too... I agree with you Dolph just talks, really doesnt get a storyline, himself or his oppoent over.

see the problem is these men are thrown on TV, given scripts and a 1 min and people expect magic to happen. Its sad cause the talent in wrestling need to be more well rounded and have non WWE expreince. in the old days places like Memphis and ECW would give you a mic and teach you to cut a promo and hell if you messed up it was just indy show. In these days the indys dont even encourage talent to devolp mic skills. ROH, PWG and all the indies really dont give the talent to create a character and learn to cut promos to get them self and matches over. its all about get out there and wrestle, no rhyme or reason or storyline really plus most characters on the indy scene are just dumb.

its hard to have the next Rock, Austin, Flair, Savage and Foley when there is no where to learn and when the WWE wont allow talent to advance and improve.

WWE makes these guys in a factory and gives them parts to play, if you dare to be different or reach above the standerds they set for you then your punished.....Punk and Bryan differs from this cause they traveled the world practicing their craft to not only have a good match but to make people wanna see it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.