View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

The Splash: Who Will Be WWE's Next Big Thing

Rate this Entry

Welcome back Splashers. This past week John Cena had removal of bone fragments or spurs in his right arm this past weekend. While it was a mild operation, Cena is expected to appear at Hell in the Cell. I read the interview with a former member of the WWE creative team: Court Bauer posted by Ryan Clark. It had raised a disturbing question: How much more can Cena take? John Cena, who is only 36, is one of the most gifted athletes the WWE has ever seen, might start to be getting a little worse for wear.

Now before anyone gets the wrong idea, I’m NOT suggesting Cena needs to retire. Far from it! He has at least another 5, even 10 years in him, if he paces himself smartly. However Cena’s injuries are starting to build up, and as the older he gets..The more injury prone he will become. Grandfather time is slowly catching up with Super Cena…That his is Kryptonite, along with every other wrestler in the business.

Before John Cena started to carry the WWE on his broad shoulders, there were several other legends who came before him as front-runners of the business. People like Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and Steve Austin. These men have all been the leaders of the WWE. Everyone else includes Triple H, The Undertaker, Randy Orton, and others. Those big names are the foundation of the WWE, but they were never defined as the leader of the company. Ultimate Warrior came very close to becoming one of those names. However that was not meant to be.

So now we come down to the question to, when Cena steps down as “The Leader” of the WWE or even retires, who could step in and take that spot? First it would greatly depend on timing, let’s say, just for example 5 years from now, Cena (who will be 41) wants to slow things down and only wants to wrestle part time. Needless to say he would have to drop his role as leader of the WWE, and someone else would have the opportunity. So who would that next person be?

Randy Orton: No. I am a huge fan of The Viper, and I think he has both the ring skills as well as the mic skills to have all the fans follow him. However he has several strikes against him with management. That plus his legit anger problems will always keep him from being the number one guy.

Sheamus
: I’m not sure if Sheamus could be the #1 guy for the company. He definitely has the “It Factor” to be in the top 3, most certainly top 5 in the company. But I see something missing in Sheamus for him to lead the company, maybe in a few years he could prove me wrong.

Dolph Ziggler
: Maybe! Anyone who has read my past Splashes know I am way over on Dolph Ziggler! He has taken some incredible bumps this past year, his work ethics are undeniable, and both his ring as well as his mic skills are getting better as the weeks go by. However Ziggler loves being the heel and that could be the deal breaker.

CM Punk: Absolutely! Despite Punk has been a heel in the past, he has always gotten over big with the fans as a face. Right now he is the #2 guy in the WWE, so it makes sense for Punk to be the next man in line, unless he drops the ball somewhere in the future.

Who do you think could fill Cena's Shoes? post your thoughts
in the comments below

Final thoughts:

When you get right down to it, no one can see the future, even the WWE. Consider this: Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels didn’t get their first pushes, until Hulk Hogan took a leave of absence in 1992, due to steroid allegations. Bret Hart won his first WWF Title in 1993. Shawn Michaels didn’t win his first WWF Title until several years later. If Hogan never had steroid charges, and stayed with the company, Hart and Michaels might not have had the opportunities that they had throughout their WWF careers. Some may not want to hear that, but back then Hulk Hogan was the #1 guy, and it wasn’t until he left when the WWF started looking for the next big thing.

That's it for this one, Until next time…See you when I see you –Rick Starr

Submit "The Splash: Who Will Be WWE's Next Big Thing" to Digg Submit "The Splash: Who Will Be WWE's Next Big Thing" to del.icio.us Submit "The Splash: Who Will Be WWE's Next Big Thing" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Splash: Who Will Be WWE's Next Big Thing" to Google

Updated 10-01-2012 at 03:03 PM by Rick Starr

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    To be fair, it does take a good 10 years in the business before a wrestler usually peaks.
    To be fair, it does take a good 10 years in the business before a wrestler usually peaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhEonYx
    In general, after reading half of the above comments stating that the wrestlers you've listed are "too old", all I have left to say is; Sometimes there is no such thing as "too old", take a look at how long it took wrestlers such as; Benoit and Eddie to make it to the peek of their careers.
    Absolutely! The WWE also knows this too. And just because someone older steps in, it doesn't mean their stepping in for a long duration. While Punk and others are around the same age. They might be ready to step in and cover, for a year or two, until they build the next guy. That's a point very few see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Chapel
    yes but most wrestlers are already in the buisness for 5-10 years. just because thier not in the WWE doesnt mean thier not working thier trade elsewhere.
    Drew McIntyre
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.