View RSS Feed

Dubs

Their best years: Stone Cold, The Rock, and John Cena

Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Hello there fellow blog readers. I will like to welcome you all to the first "Best Years" blog from me. This is a blog where I list three wrestlers and the best years they had with their respective companies. This could be due to putting on the best matches nonstop that year, where they were in put in the most compelling feuds than the others, or when they kept prudcing the best promos week after week but for this blog, it's strictly about their best matches that year. What better way to start off this blog series than by having Stone Cold, The Rock, and John Cena as the first three. I'll start of with Stone Cold first:

Stone Cold's best year: 2001

Now this was actually a tough one. I was split on whether 1998 or 2001 was Stone Cold's best year but thinking about it a little more, Stone Cold had way better matches in 2001. His 2001 matches were must-see and proved that he still had it after having to take a year absence to get surgery on his neck. He was also the best heel in the WWE at the time even though fans really wanted to cheer for him. Lets take a look at his best matches in 2001 shall we?

Stone Cold vs Triple H in a Three Stages of Hell match at No Way Out 2001 (Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)

This was a very brutal match with both guys coming out looking strong after the match. The match first started off in a standard match with a lot of great story-telling in it. Stone Cold won the first pinfall Then it started off in a street fight in which Triple H picks up the win. Afterwards, it was a steel cage match with Triple H picking up the win and winning the whole match. This match was brutal with top-notch wrestling psychology to it. Stone Cold and Triple H always had chemistry in the ring and this match proves so.

Stone Cold vs The Rock in a No DQ match for the WWE championship at Wrestlemania X-Seven
Full Match

This is easily one of the best encounters between Stone Cold and The Rock. The build-up, the emotion, the atmosphere, and the in-ring psychology made this match a 5-star match to me in my opinion. It was brutal with Stone Cold damn-near destroying The Rock with that steel chair. This is also the match which lead to Stone Cold turning heel and for the first time ever, joining forces with Mr. Mcmahon. This match was a very big deal and was the end of the Attitude Era with the Invasion era soon coming into play.

Stone Cold vs Chris Benoit for the WWE title on Smackdown 2001
Full match

This match is really an underrated match that doesn't really get talked about by a lot of wrestling fans. Stone Cold showed off his technical abilities here against Benoit and ones of the best matches on free TV. This is a type of match that should have been put on a solid PPV. It's a shame that Stone Cold and Benoit didn't really have a long-term feud between the two which would have been wonderful but they put on great matches between one another which is a plus.

Stone Cold and Triple H vs Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit for the tag team titles on Raw 2001 (Part 1)
(Part 2)

This was an amazing tag team match at the time but with guys like Stone Cold, Triple H, Chris Jericho, and Chris Benoit, how could you expect anything less? Sadly, this was Triple H's last match in 2001 until 2002 where he would return to the biggest pop ever on Raw. The Power Trip angle was fantastic and could have led to an awesome match between Triple H and Stone Cold. I heard Triple H was possibly going to turn face during that angle but we'll save that for another topic.

Stone Cold vs Kurt Angle at Summerslam 2001 (Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)

Words cannot even explain how awesome this was was. Seriously. This is the match that made Kurt Angle a legit badass main event face. Before, he was a goofy heel in the mid-card scene but in this match, he brought intensity and was taken seriously. Stone Cold and Kurt Angle tore the roof off the place. Stone Cold was the perfect guy for Angle to be over by because Stone Cold was a beast in his heel run and having Kurt Angle match him on that level in intensity is something that made this match one of the best matches ever.

Honorable mentions: Stone Cold's match with RVD on Smackdown 2001 and his steel cage match with The Rock on Raw. 2001

The Rock's best year: 2000

This was a no-brainer. The Rock had his best matches in 2000. Keep in mind this was right around the time where Austin was out with an injury which led to The Rock being the new #1 wrestler in the Attitude Era and the #1 man in wrestling. The Rock was insanely over with the audience with his mic skills but had a lot of impressive matches that won the crowd over. Here are his best matches in 2000:

The Rock vs Triple H in an Iron Man match at Judgement Day 2000
Full match

This was the best Iron Man match that I have ever seen with Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar coming at a close second. The Rock and Triple H always tore the house down with their feuds over the years but to me it's their best match. They fought every damn where whether it was near the stage area or in the crowd. It was truly an entertaining match. Lets not forget The Undertaker returning after the match as the American Badass gimmick.

The Rock, Mic Foley, and Too Cool vs Triple H, X-Pac, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn, and Chris Benoit on Raw 2000
Full match

The crowd went apeshit for this match. It was an amazing match that The Rock was involved in. I usually hate 5 man tag team matches but this match is an exception due to it being 1) fucking awesome and 2) involving all of my favorite wrestlers in there.

The Rock vs Chris Benoit at Fully Loaded 2000 (Part 1)
(Part 2)

Most people really consider this to be The Rock's best match aside from his encounters with Stone Cold. For those that think The Rock wasn't a great wrestler, please have a look at this match. He wrestled his ass off in this match and sold that Crossface like a champ. Just like Stone Cold and Benoit, The Rock and Benoit never really had long-term programs with each other. I just wished that they could have had more feuds together. It would have been something great.

The Rock vs Kurt Angle vs Triple at Summerslam 2000 (Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)

This was a great Summerslam main event match with The Rock winning. The funny thing about this match is, Kurt Angle said that he had a concussion during the match and didn't know what he was doing and this match still managed to be great with The Rock and Triple H helping him out there.

The Rock vs Kurt Angle at No Mercy 2000
Full match

This match has gotten great reviews from wrestling reviewers and is considered one of The Rock's top matches and with good reason. Both guys worked great in the ring and on the mic. The Rock put Kurt Angle over here and it was Kurt Angle's first WWE title win. Pretty much a solid PPV main event for No Mercy 2000.

Honorable mentions: The Rock vs Rikishi at Survivior Series 2000 and The Rock vs Chris Jericho on Raw 2000.

John Cena's best year: 2007

This was another no-brainer. John Cena had the best year in 2007. He had a year long WWE title reign. Not to mention, he was considered the most charsimatic wrestler, a box office hit, and the wrestler of the year in 2007 according to the wrestling news observer. 2007 was the year of John Cena who had his greatest matches in his career in that year. The matches he had were incredible with some being underrated by most people. Here are Cena's best matches in 2007:

John Cena vs Umaga at The Royal Rumble 2007
Full match

Man, this match was damn-near barbarous and very hard to watch. Both John Cena and Umaga beat the tar out of each other. John Cena bashing Umaga with the steel steps along with choking Umaga with the ring ropes is insane and made John Cena look more vicious in that match. This match makes me miss Umaga more and more.

John Cena vs Chris Benoit on Raw 2007
Full match

A great Raw main event match between John Cena and Chris Benoit. Sadly it would be the last time the two would ever work with each other. It's sad when you really think about it.

John Cena vs Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 23
Full match

People have said that this match isn't good only because the wrong guy won which was Cena but I really disagree with that. John Cena beating Shawn Michaels that year made him look stronger since he beat Triple H at Wrestlemania 22 which got him over. Even if people don't like the ending of the match, They put on a wondeful match together. The build-up of the match was well-down and watching this match live was awesome.

John Cena vs Shawn Michaels on Raw 2007 (Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)

Hey look, ANOTHER fantastic match between Cena and HBK. Not only was this match better than their match at Wrestlemania 23 but this match was voted the match of the year in 2007 by readers of PWI. This is one of the best matches on Raw and easily Cena's best match hes ever been in.

John Cena vs Bobby Lashley at the Great American Bash 2007 (Part 1)
(Part 2)
(Part 3)
(Part 4)

This match is a personal favorite of mine. I thought it was a great match with the crowd going crazy over this match. JR commentating for this match was also great as he sold this match very well. It's a match that doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I wish Lashley returned to the WWE so we could see another ecounter between him and Cena.

Honorable mentions: John Cena and Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker and Batista at No Way Out 2007 and John Cena vs Randy Orton at Summerslam 2007.

Thanks for reading guys. Have a nice day.

Submit "Their best years: Stone Cold, The Rock, and John Cena" to Digg Submit "Their best years: Stone Cold, The Rock, and John Cena" to del.icio.us Submit "Their best years: Stone Cold, The Rock, and John Cena" to StumbleUpon Submit "Their best years: Stone Cold, The Rock, and John Cena" to Google

Updated 09-21-2012 at 02:31 PM by Dubs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you ever do Jeff hardy or taker, you gotta have their ladder match for the undisputed title on raw. It is way underrated and i find it to be Jeff hardys greatest moment, no really big bumps by hardy just so much charisma in the match. Taker put him over and still won. And what about the invasion era survivor series match? Rock, kane, taker, big show, and jericho vs stone cold, shane o mac, booker t, rvd and angle. Great match.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.