View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

The Splash: My thoughts on Night of Champions 2012

Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.

Welcome back Splashers. A week has gone by since the wrestling world was shocked, when Jerry “The King” Lawler had a near-death heart attack on RAW. Even TNA wished the Hall of Famer a speedy recovery, in classy fashion. Get well Jerry!

Fatal Four Way: Intercontinental Title Match
Miz© vs Cody Rhodes vs Sin Cara vs Rey Mysterio
This match was a solid opener, despite that it was a little too obvious they were going to keep the title on The Miz. Rey is to injury prone, and Sin Cara is not ready to hold any title, until he either learns English…or gets a manager that can do promos for him.

Both Sin and Rey did put on some great spots. It demonstrated that not only do they make a great tag-team, but they could also have a great feud somewhere down the road.

When it came down to winning the match, it came down between Cody and The Miz. Although I was rooting for Rhodes, I was expecting The Miz to sneak out with the title one way or another. Overall I’d give it 3 out of 5 stars.

WWE Tag Team Championship Match
Kofi Kingston & R-Truth © vs. Daniel Bryan & Kane
This was another highly predictable match. I think everyone knew that there were going to be new tag-team champions crowned. Despite the slowly growing number of tag teams in the WWE, Kofi & Truth have been getting rather stale in the past few weeks.

The match itself was not great, but it was also not terrible either. I’d have to say the most entertaining parts of the match were Kane & Bryan’s “personal issues” gimmick that they got going on. Overall I’ll give it 3 out of 5 stars.

WWE U.S. Championship Match
Antonio Cesaro (c) vs. Zack Ryder
In the pre-show, Zack Ryder won the Battle-Royal to become the #1Contender for the US Championship. What I found a little odd is on Smackdown, they were teasing Tyson Kidd or Broadus Clay to win the battle royal. Weather it was a simple swerve by the WWE, or they are trying to push the two as a new tag-team is something that remains to be seen.

I’m impressed with Cesaro’s wrestling skills, but his promos are shit. I don’t care how many different languages he can say “unfair”, “outraged”, or any other word he picks for his promos.

Aksana is slowly proving she can be more than just eye candy. This was one of the first matches where I just didn’t know who was going to win. As always Zack Ryder put on a great match, taking a couple of big bumps along the way.
Overall: 3 out 5 stars.

Dolph Ziggler vs. Randy Orton
This match was where the PPV began to heat up! Although there were only 3 matches left. They were excellent matches! At the beginning of this match, I was expecting Dolph to lose this match, however I was expecting him to show up later on in the PPV. I was only half right.

This was a great match between the two superstars, and you can tell each and every week Ziggler is getting better and better. I wouldn’t be surprised if this feud goes on past Hell in a Cell. During the PPV they were promoting that Randy Orton is now in line shot at the World Title. Who is to say that Orton does not win the World Title...Only to have it stolen from him by Dolph Ziggler?
Overall 4 out of 5 stars

WWE Divas Championship Match
Layla (c) vs. Eve Torres
In this match Kaitlin was set to face Layla for the Divas Title. However Earlier in the match Kaitlin has attacked from behind by a masked person, and Eve was the first person on the site. Needless to say Eve winds up taking Kaitlin’s spot to face Layla. If you ask me, this was an improvement as Kaitlin is still far too green for a shot at the Diva’s Title.
Most Divas matches usually only last about 1-3 minutes of some impressive throws, clotheslines, followed up with a cheap rollup pin. However this match was exceptionally brutal for a Diva’s match. Eve spent most of the match,,, stomping, pulling hair, and really taking it to Layla. Although she is currently a face, she was clearly using a lot of heel moves, so she could win the Divas Title.
Overall 3 out of 5 stars for this match

CM Punk © vs John Cena for the WWE Title
Despite the ending the match itself was without a doubt the best of the night! I thought the beginning where Punk held the title for several minutes, was a bit too long. My guess is they were trying to burn time up. The double count on the end is really the only flaw of this match. I know a lot of people might disagree with me, but I personally would have liked to see the walking billboard (Cena) win in his home town.
Overall 5 out of 5 stars

Overall:

This was a solid PPV, despite a few predictable matches. I truly enjoyed the whole thing from beginning to end, and that’s one thing I haven’t said about a PPV in quite some time. My Overall rating for this PPV : 4 out of 5 stars Until next time Splashers See you when I see you -Rick Starr
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images

Submit "The Splash: My thoughts on Night of Champions 2012" to Digg Submit "The Splash: My thoughts on Night of Champions 2012" to del.icio.us Submit "The Splash: My thoughts on Night of Champions 2012" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Splash: My thoughts on Night of Champions 2012" to Google

Tags: jerry lawler, ppv, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Well, you missed Sheamus and Alberto del Rio.....can't say I blame ya
    Don't know if you did it on purpose or not, but you said nothing about the superhypermega predictable WHC match.
    Great read anyways.

Oh and is whether not weather
    Decent review... I'm only going to knock on the fact that you gave Punk/Cena 5stars. Seriously?!!? ....Did you even watch the match??? Night of Champions was a mediocre PPV. Nothing shocking, or exciting and quite frankly, the only half decent match on the card was the Fatal 4 Way for the I.C title.

Good read.
    Sorry folks I did botch up on missing the Sheamus/ADR Match
    You don't write very good blogs at all..
    i liked the ending of the Cena/Punk match. There has not been an ending like that in a very long time. freshens things up.
    U do realize at over the limit we had almost the exact same ending except it wasnt a draw
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.