View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)

Rate this Entry
Night of Champions Recap

After the disaster of SummerSlam, Night of Champions was a big improvement. Pretty much every match was worthy of pay-per-view (let’s just ignore the Zack Ryder v. Antonio Cesaro match; once again I watched purely for Aksana), and despite its poor ending the CM Punk v. John Cena WWE Championship match was one of the best encounters between the two (it had nothing on their Money in the Bank title match from last year, but if you look back on their encounters this ranks up there with the best of them).

It wasn’t the best match of the night though.

For me, the best match on the Night of Champions card was ironically the only non-title match. Dolph Ziggler v. Randy Orton was a great technical match and had a great twist of anger from both individuals, and that RKO was one of Orton’s best despite the fact that I’m sure I’ve seen Diamond Cutters in that exact fashion.

Monday Night Raw

Respect.

This was the word which the WWE Universe was left to ponder over at the close of Night of Champions, and rightfully so. Punk retained his WWE Championship for the first time in his 302 day (at the time) reign on a technicality, and proceeded to attack Cena with the title in a show of disrespect to him and his new, awful looking, pink and black entrance threads (okay, so he wasn’t disrespecting the fight against cancer, but I needed to point out how ridiculous Cena looks in that pink cap). But somewhere in the twenty-four hours between NoC and Raw, WWE got it into their heads that somehow the ending of that match was, and I quote, “controversial”. Cena simply couldn’t get the job done if you ask me.

“I am the Voice of the Voice of the Voiceless”

Raw opened with one of the more annoying devices that Paul Heyman brings to the character of CM Punk – acting as the voice of the superstars he vests an interest in. When it comes to Brock Lesnar, it is clear that Heyman is necessary. The problem with doing it for Punk is that the entire WWE Universe knows that Punk needs no help in any aspect of his character. He excels on the mic, and Heyman coming out to speak on his behalf (masked only by Heyman saying that Punk “hasn’t arrived yet”) was the first blow to CM Punk’s claims that he is the Best in the World for this week.

The next blow came from Punk’s performance in the ‘super’ main event. It wasn’t that he wrongfully lost, but that he looked weak throughout the entire match. This is the same CM Punk that has been impressive as WWE Champion throughout his entire reign, never retaining in circumstances which he had manipulated himself. Punk is still a clean-winning champion in my eyes, since he didn’t force the draw at NoC (rather, he dominated the match whilst Cena exhausted himself kicking out of near falls and the match ended because Cena cannot bridge a German Suplex). There are no signs that Punk should have struggled against Cena (he himself admitted that his technical skills lack last night, albeit in a corny joke), and it annoys me that WWE is having Punk deemphasise his own abilities to make Cena look like he could possibly outwrestle the champion.

I personally thought the point of Heyman was to help Punk look like a heel, since he was struggling to turn boos to cheers on his own. Whilst it has nearly worked, it clearly isn’t enough since Punk now has to lower his own standards to keep Cena strong.
Another reason Cena should respect Punk.

“I am the Tag Team Champions!”

As much as the subtitle for this section may suggest, it isn’t specifically about the newly crowned WWE Tag Team Champions of Daniel ‘I only Yes! when I win titles’ Bryan and ‘I’m going to Disneyland!’ Kane. I actually wanted to take some time to talk about the tag team division in WWE right now.

Whilst I thought Kane and Bryan as champions would hinder the tag team division and all of the work that four or five teams have put into it over the last few months, it’s actually not a bad thing this early into their run. There are still five or six contenders for the titles, and I like the look of most of them. In fact, WWE is full of athletic and potentially great tag teams.

Primo & Epico work well together and have had very few unimpressive matches.

R-Truth & Kofi Kingston have come of age as a dependable tag team, and their five month reign leaves them as contenders for at least the next month.

Justin Gabriel & Tyson Kidd seem to be an occasional tag team right now, but I would happily watch them most weeks. They work well together and could easily put on some great matches with the likes of anybody on this list.

The Usos are easily the most underrated team I’m going to talk about here. Since they surfaced in WWE, they have been almost faultless. They’re charismatic, great in the ring, and best of all, they are a natural tag team. WWE is criticised far too often about its lack of natural tag teams these days, and The Usos are a great way to rectify this.

The Prime Time Players have recently struggled without AW, but last night’s Raw was a turning point for them. They might be goofy at times, but they looked like they mean business when they assaulted Truth & Kofi. I liked it, and I hope there is more to come.

Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara are the type of team that WWE has needed for a long time now. They are both experts in lucha libre and it improves their matches significantly whilst helping them to stand out. Hopefully we get to see a Bryan & Kane v. Rey & Cara on PPV at some point.

This a list of six tag teams which I think have the potential to make WWE’s tag team division great once again, and let Bryan go back to hunting the WWE Championship before the middle of 2013 hits. I, for one, am happy to watch the antics of the current champions until WWE decides it is ready to let these teams fulfil their potential.

In other news…

Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara def. Primo & Epico – A decent tag team match which started a trend of impressive TV matches for the night. It also helped the PTP up their game in a change of dwindling fortunes as of late.

Divas Champion Eve def. Beth Phoenix – Nothing about this match really interested me. Eve has beaten Phoenix before, and it seemed to serve as nothing but a revealing moment for Eve and her ‘sportswomanship’.

Brodus Clay def. Heath Slater – I hope WWE doesn’t see Brodus as a potential challenger for the United States Championship. It wouldn’t sell as a PPV match, and it would be more meaningless than any of Santino’s defences were. Just make the title defunct if you refuse to make it mean something, WWE.

MizTV, episode one – Not that WWE needs a new Piper’s Pit or Highlight Reel, but I’m glad they gave Miz this chance to utilise his mic skills more frequently. Ryback’s interruption was even quite good. Is this finally a real feud for Ryback?

Dolph Ziggler def. Santino Marella – I’m not sure what the point of this was. Ziggler, as Mr. Money in the Bank, should be getting a push to the moon right now, but keeps getting wasted on TV and on PPV (two losses in two months to two superstars with other pending commitments is pointless for Ziggler). If they turn Ziggler into another Swagger I will not be pleased.

Wade Barrett def. Justin Gabriel – I’m loving Barrett’s new style, and I’m glad he got a match on Raw so I could comment on it. Outside of the ring, I personally enjoyed the “we want Nexus!” chants and JBL’s proclamation that Barrett’s new finish “would’a knocked out a horse”.

Damien Sandow def. Zack Ryder – Once again Ryder was part of the evening’s bogey match. Whilst I like Sandow, I don’t think he should have been made to struggle as much as he did against Ryder. Zack is on a downward spiral, and if you ask me it’s his own fault. Change. The. Gimmick.

I enjoyed Raw last night, despite the injustice of Punk lowering his own standards for Cena’s sake.

The matches were more or less of a good standard, and there was some good storyline progression. I genuinely have nothing to complain about other than Punk’s situation, but even then it’s only concern at the moment. The three hour slot seems to be working out well for WWE’s flagship show.

Until next week, follow me on Twitter (@SpringerAJ) and send me your thoughts with #YYYTRR.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nice post. I definitely agree about Brodus. The guy waddles around the ring for 3 minutes a week, does 2 moves, and we're supposed to be impressed? If they put a title on him I just might cry. Good point about Ryder, too. He seems to have the charisma to really become something, but I doubt it'd ever happen with the Jersey Shore gimmick.
    Excellent analysis. Just a few things I see slightly differently.

I think WWE is doing the right thing in letting Heyman be a front man for Punk. Not because Punk isn't capable of it; we all know he can do that. But if you give Punk a microphone and let him talk, he's just got the charisma that what he says is going to get people to like him. Or hate him but cheer for him anyhow. (If you know what I mean.) Heyman, now, is a bit different. Yes, it's "one of the more annoying devices." Because it's annoying, it tends to work well.

Also, I don't think that "the match ended because Cena cannot bridge a German Suplex." The match ended because Cena didn't bridge it properly, and that's because that's how Creative said it should end. I agree that Cena's skills are not as equal to Punk's as the match might have led one to believe, but he's entirely without skill.

The tag division. I can agree that it's looking a bit better. At one point a while back I would easily have said that TNA had the better tag division. Right now it's a lot closer, though I personally would still give the edge to TNA. I think PTP need a new mouthpiece, the Usos need to be pushed more strongly, and Primo and Epico just need to keeping doing what they're doing.

Brodus Clay. Why, oh why, oh WHY, I ask you ... does WWE insist on making their "big guys" (in size, not importance on the roster) out of one of two one-dimensional molds: either the lovable sensitive fun fool (e.g., Brodus, face Big Show, face Khali) or the rampaging engine of destruction and pain (e.g., heel Big Show, heel Henry, face OR heel Undertaker)? Kane can fall into either category depending on what time it is and how long it's been since he's eaten. Even as far back as Andre the Giant; he was either one or the other. My memory is not what it used to be (at least, not what I remember it to be...), but has the WWE ever had a "normal" big guy?

Ryback (who, if you consider him as a big guy, falls into the latter category, of course) is ... I'm sorry, I really hope that they don't do the Goldberg mold. It's starting, of course, but I hope it doesn't end the same way. I like the *character* in a way though, actually; WWE needs a strong juggernaut face. And I agree, he really needs competitive opponents so that we can see that he knows how to wrestle better than a steamroller. Mahal has been his best to date, and the Miz would be even better. Miz could put Ryback over, or at least make him seem like an actual wrestler, without losing any of his credibility at this point.

(Just an aside, I really really really disliked the Miz at first. Lately though he's been growing on me. And not like a fungus.)

Ziggler/Marella - agreed, no point to this match. No point to Marella in his current incarnation other than comic relief and jobbing. I'm going to go out on a limb and put Ryder in the same category, honestly. They both need to "Change. The. Gimmick." Turn either (or both) heel, give them some seriousness and intensity, and either one could be a strong mid-card one of these days.
    Fantastic blog. I completely agree with you about Dolph Ziggler. When I saw that he was in a match with Marella, I figured that they were trying to give him a "win". I can debate whether or not he should have lost to Chris Jericho, however, I agree that he should have beat Randy Orton.

It is almost like the WWE is scared to have Orton lose a match. When Christian and Orton were feuding for the title they had like five or six matches. The only match that Christian won was the one where Orton got DQ'ed.

I would love to know who would win in a match between Cena, Orton, and Shemus. None of them are allowed to lose.
    A bunch of people badly want Ryder to change his gimmick, I get that, but what I don't get is why you complain about his matches. He has stepped up big time in the ring and is putting on great matches lately.
    Perhaps the whole point of having Heyman speak for Punk is because Punk is TOO charismatic, and if they are trying to make him over as a proper heel then they have to make him as un-likable as possible. Giving the mic to someone who genuinely grates on you may be the best way to do that. (I must admit though, that "voice of the voice of the voiceless" line did make me laugh!)

Add me to the "wasted match for Ziggles" list. However I am enjoying the feud between him & Orton, but would also like Zigs to be allowed to win a bit more often. (Remember, Orton bloody well tapped out to ADR!)

I am also no fan of Ryder but he has (for some unfathomable reason) a huge following. He seems to always get a great pop at live events and his frankly painful YouTube show has a massive hit rate. Personally I am happy for the WWE to use him to put over guys like Cesaro and Sandow who actually ARE quite watchable.

I groaned when I heard AJ announce the "super main event". I genuinely thought that they were going to finally put the Sheamus-ADR feud to bed, but no. I have to watch yet another rehash of not one but BOTH seemingly-endless feuds again on Raw. Cue "BORING!" chant.

The one match that pretty much saved the show for me was Barrett v Gabriel. Both are great wrestlers and they put on a good match (although I would have preferred it to have been much longer). I loved the "We Want Nexus!" chant and it indicated that the live crowd were enjoying the match as much as I was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vondraco
    I think WWE is doing the right thing in letting Heyman be a front man for Punk. Not because Punk isn't capable of it; we all know he can do that. But if you give Punk a microphone and let him talk, he's just got the charisma that what he says is going to get people to like him. Or hate him but cheer for him anyhow. (If you know what I mean.) Heyman, now, is a bit different. Yes, it's "one of the more annoying devices." Because it's annoying, it tends to work well.

Also, I don't think that "the match ended because Cena cannot bridge a German Suplex." The match ended because Cena didn't bridge it properly, and that's because that's how Creative said it should end. I agree that Cena's skills are not as equal to Punk's as the match might have led one to believe, but he's entirely without skill.

The tag division. I can agree that it's looking a bit better. At one point a while back I would easily have said that TNA had the better tag division. Right now it's a lot closer, though I personally would still give the edge to TNA. I think PTP need a new mouthpiece, the Usos need to be pushed more strongly, and Primo and Epico just need to keeping doing what they're doing.
    I can see what you mean about Heyman as the front man for Punk, I suppose Heyman is a sure fire way for getting the crowd to boo Punk. Maybe the heel turn is working better than I thought lol.

I haven't watched TNA's tag team division is so long I can't really comment, but I'm fairly certain that it isn't on the same level as it once way circa MCMGs and Beer Money. Like I said, I haven't been watching...

And the Cena not being able to bridge a German Suplex thing was more a reference to a few memes I've seen this week tbh lol. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by sret
    A bunch of people badly want Ryder to change his gimmick, I get that, but what I don't get is why you complain about his matches. He has stepped up big time in the ring and is putting on great matches lately.
    Ryder is putting on better matches lately, but his gimmick makes it hard to take him seriously and say he deserves any sort of title match, etc. I've never claimed that his ability isn't there, I just think he needs a new gimmick before I can really see him as anything other than a goofy jobber.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.