View RSS Feed

Taneel

Night Of Champions Review, and where to go from here

Rate this Entry
Hi fellow EWN'ers, what's up? Enjoyed NOC? I guess you did because that was one hell of a show. I wonder why it's considered a B-class PPV, the idea of all championships being defended sounds fantastic, and this year's event lived up to (well, exceeded, for that matter) my expectations. This is how I felt about the matches, and what I think should happen going forward from here:

Pre-show Battle Royal : I didn't get to watch the match, but Ryder was the right pick to win it. He gets a PPV match after all, and Cesaro doesn't have to lose. I wish Ryder gets some TV time now.

Fatal 4 Way : A good match. First Cody Rhodes getting obsessed with removing Sin Cara's mask, and now Cara obsessed with putting mask on Cody, that should add new dimension to their feud. Why not have a match where if Cara loses, he has to unmask and if Rhodes loses, he has to put on a mask. Miz and Mysterio must continue their feud in the meantime.

Cesaro vs Ryder: While it was cool to see Ryder, Antonio Cesaro would win and everyone knew that. Ryder finally got his US Championship rematch, but I don't think he'll get another shot at the belt. A Cesaro vs Damien Sandow feud over who is more intelligent would be awesome now. (Cesaro can claim he's the most intelligent superstar in WWE because he speaks 5 languages, even make him say "intelligent" in 5 languages, and Damien Sandow obviously disagrees)

Kane/Bryan vs Kofi/Truth: This match was all about funny skits Bryan and Kane would do as a team, and it was cool to see the comedic side of two guys who've always been known to be serious guys. However, I see them as a transitional champions, maybe until the next PPV. Kofi and Truth both were much higher in the order than any superstars in the tag team division, so losing to any team would hurt their singles run. Losing to a team of two former world champions would do no harm to them, while Kane and Bryan can easily drop the title to any team without losing credibility because of their gimmick of not getting along.

Ziggler vs Orton: A pretty solid match, which was not a surprise at all. However, one thing that bothers me is Ziggler has been losing a lot after winning the MITB contract. Well, so did Daniel Bryan last year, and now you can see where he is, thus we can hope times are not so bad ahead for Ziggler. This feud won't probably go forward, because Ziggler may cash in the briefcase anytime leading to a new feud, and Orton will soon go to make a movie.

Eve vs Layla: Ok, Kaitlyn's battle Royal win was a botch, and Eve vs Layla was the original plan all the way, but why use the "attacked by unknown person" cliche storyline? Couldn't Layla have simply defeated Kaitlyn and Eve vs Layla happened a month later? If they plan the attacker to be revealed, it would no doubt be Eve, so maybe Eve vs Kaitlyn will happen at a certain point. By the way, Booker's gimmick as the naive, gullible babyface GM is something fresh as compared to other babyface GMs in recent past.

Sheamus vs Alberto Del Rio: It was nice to see the World Championship match being second last in the card. Sheamus once again looked dominant in his win. The end should have been written differently. Sheamus hits the Brouge Kick alright, but instead of going for the pin, he should have applied the Cloverleaf making Del Rio tap out. On a positive side, now that Sheamus beat Del Rio without controversy, hopefully this match won't happen again.

CM Punk vs John Cena: No one doubted that this would be the best match of the night, and it indeed was. I was, however dissatisfied with the ending because I felt the WWE tried to play safe instead of playing big. They didn't want Cena to lose at his hometown, and they sure didn't want Punk to lose the title, so they decided to go with a draw (thank goodness, at least they didn't go with Punk getting disqualified or counted out). IMO, there should have been a clear and clean result. That would mean either Cena had to lose at his hometown or Punk had to drop the belt, neither of which WWE wanted, but one of that had to be done. There will be a rematch at Hell in a Cell of course, where Punk will retain without making Cena look not-Super. That leaves Punk with two PPVs to defend his Title before meeting Rock at Rumble, and I suggest one each against Kofi Kingston and R-truth. They will have nothing to do after they lose their rematch, and they already deserve main event status. that would also allow Punk to win clean until Rumble and look like a real challenge for Rock.

Submit "Night Of Champions Review, and where to go from here" to Digg Submit "Night Of Champions Review, and where to go from here" to del.icio.us Submit "Night Of Champions Review, and where to go from here" to StumbleUpon Submit "Night Of Champions Review, and where to go from here" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

"Kofi Kingston and R-truth. They will have nothing to do after they lose their rematch, and they already deserve main event status. that would also allow Punk to win clean until Rumble and look like a real challenge for Rock." Lol yeah everyone would think Truth or Koif vs the Rock will happen it would be a 100% and it would be boring if those men thought Punk.
    Good analysis. I agree with most of what you typed. There are a couple of things I have a slight difference of opinion with, though.

The Miz/Cara mask thing is ... kinda silly, I think. And not silly in a good way like Kane/Bryan. Silly in a bad way like the Divas.

Speaking of Kane/Bryan (or is it Bryan/Kane?), I think they have the potential to last ... more than a few weeks, at least. They remind me of the Kane/RVD team of a few years back. WWE seems to be pushing PTP at this point, however. I find them to be annoying and a waste of oxygen ... so I guess they're doing their job as heels, for now. They *really* need to get a spokesman again now that AW is gone, though. Neither of them seems to have great mic skills.

I also see what you took to be "Booker's gimmick as the naive, gullible babyface GM" as either one of two things. It was either (1) a horrible acting job, or (2) Booker letting "us" (the fans) know that HE knew (or had strong suspicions) about what really happened. I'm leaning toward the latter since Booker is not THAT bad of an actor.

Lastly, I don't see either Kofi or Truth in the WWE title picture. If either of them gets in, I feel Truth should do it, but he'll still lose ... and we (the fans) know he will lose, so buy rates for that PPV will be low unless there's some sort of gimmick.

Still, overall, great writing!
    Quote Originally Posted by ewantu2
    "Kofi Kingston and R-truth. They will have nothing to do after they lose their rematch, and they already deserve main event status. that would also allow Punk to win clean until Rumble and look like a real challenge for Rock." Lol yeah everyone would think Truth or Koif vs the Rock will happen it would be a 100% and it would be boring if those men thought Punk.
    To be honest, Kofi could use a female manager as a mouth piece and his style can get him over, hey Kids love the guy so why not? His match with Slater at SMS was pretty cool, if you allow a guy like him to have more minutes even if he is more about the Wow than story telling, he can compensate when needed.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.