View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!

Rating: 5 votes, 2.80 average.
Why do I make this blog? Well, my 2 favorite superstars of all-time is Rock and Austin. Some people actually believe Jericho is in the league of Rock and Austin which I believe is a joke. I made posts on forums where I named Jericho over-rated just because of it. No chance Jericho is in their league. Points used against me is he beat them both on the same night. Who gives a crap? That doesn't make him better than Rock or Austin because he beat them. If that were the case, how many times better is Cena than Jericho because I don't remember a match ever when Jericho defeated Cena. What I'm going to do is compare the time Jericho became a main event talent aka wins his first world title. See how many main events he has had at the major ppvs in comparison to Rock/Austin. He certainly couldn't draw like them at all. SMS=Summerslam; SVS=Surivor Series; WM=Wrestlemania. How many main events did Jericho have from the time he became world champion til now? How about Rock and Austin in comparison? By the way, let us say that main event means last match here. Not using Rumble because Royal Rumble match is always the main event.

Rock won his first WWE title at SVS of 98 main eventing facing Mankind. WM main event WWE champion vs Austin. SVS 99 triple threat match WWE title main event Big Show/ HHH/Rock. WM 2000 fatal 4 way Rock vs HHH vs Foley vs Show in WWE title main event. SMS 2000 triple threat match main event for WWE title Rock vs Angle vs HHH won. WM 2001 Stone Cold vs Rock main event for the WWE title. SMS 2001 Booker T vs Rock WCW title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. SMS 2002 Lesnar vs Rock WWE title. SVS 2011 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock/Cena. -all Royal Rumble WWE title matches, Rock/Hogan WM 18, Rock/Austin WM19, among others he has 11 main events.

Austin won his 1st WWEtitle WM 14. SMS Taker vs Austin WWE title. WM 15 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 99 Austin vs HHH vs Mankind WWE title. Advertised to be in triple threat match vs Rock and HHH SVS 99, but hit by a car to be kept of TV and Big Show replaced him. SVS 2000 HHH vs Austin. WM 2001 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 2001 Angle vs Austin WWE title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. Took his ball went home after that match w/Scott Hall. Rock/Austin 3 didn't main event WM 19. Hasn't truly had a match since that time. Him and Rock took some serious periods off Austin for neck that kept him out from November 99-No Mercy of 2000 while Rock did movies for periods of time. 8 main events total - Rock/Austin 3; Rumble main events including 3 Rumble victories.

Jericho won his first WWE title at Vengeance of 01. WM 18 main event WWE title vs HHH. Only WM he main evented aka last match and the crowd was dead. SVS 02 EC. SMS 03 EC. SVS 04 Team Orton vs Team HHH wasn't even the captain of the team. Through the years, he became a midcard talent teaming w/Christian competing for the tag titles, battling for the IC title until he finished on top losing to Cena to take a 2 year absense. SVS 08 Cena vs Jericho World title. SMS 2010 Team WWE vs Team Nexus.
6 main events total in like a decade while Austin/Rock in 5 years out main evented him at the major ppvs minus the Rumble matches and the rest of the ppvs or it would have been a helluva lost worse. He lost in every single main event if you take into account he was eliminated in the tag matches. Austin/Rock didn't lose in all their main events on the big 4 ppvs. You'd think a major draw like Jericho would be able to get advertised to hype WM 19 if you face a guy like HBK. WM 19 claimed only 4 main event matches not featuring in the promo is HBK vs Jericho. 4 main events was Hogan/Vince, Rock/Austin, Lesnar/Angle, and Booker T vs HHH. Jericho can return and not main event ppvs. If Austin or Rock would come back, they would main event ppvs year round just like Lesnar.

Cena won his first WWE title at WM 21 in 2005. WM 22 Cena vs HHH WWE title. SMS 06 Edge vs Cena WWE title. WM 23 HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS Orton vs Cena 07 WWE title. SVS 08 Jericho vs Cena world title.
SVS 09 HHH vs HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS 10 Team WWE vs Team Nexus. SVS 10 Cena refs Barrett vs Orton. Count that as a main event or not, but the main hype surrounding it was Cena being free or fired. For Jericho's sake, I won't count it. WM 27 Miz vs Cena WWE title. SMS Punk vs Cena WWE title. SVS 11 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock vs Cena.
12 main events in 7 years of just 3 major ppvs per year. Cena to me will go down as a bigger star than Jericho as well. He is the biggest draw WWE has right now. Austin and Rock are bigger draws as well. That is why I take it as a slap in the face when Jericho is mentioned in the same sentence as Rock/Austin/or even Cena. After they won their major championship they didn't go back to winning midcard US or IC titles like Jericho. Midcard Wrestlemania or a major ppv event.

Jericho had just 2 1 on 1 matches in the main event of the 3 major ppvs in the last decade since winning his first WWE title. He didn't win any of his main event matches aka last matches on the major ppvs either. He lost in every single one of them. He didn't win his first or any major championship at Wrestlemania or big ppv event. Jericho isn't in Austin or Rock's league. Anyone who believes he is needs check the facts than his homerism. He isn't even in Cena's league for goodness sake. Hard to tell if he will even main event when he goes in to the HOF. I like Jericho, but I don't like it when people put him in the same category of top draws w/likes of Rock/Austin or even Cena. He is good, but he isn't that good. He may be better in the ring, but when it comes down to it....he isn't in their league. If he was, Jericho vs HBK at WM 19 would have been advertised as a main event. He would wins at major ppvs, not open them after winning the big one. Certainly not go back to winning IC titles for goodness sake. Jericho isn't in the league of Austin/Rock!!

Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Digg Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Google

Comments

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    This blog doesnt make much sence to me so I wont comment on it but I will comment on the Playboys comment cause he always has a respectful intelligent answer and reply.

I dont really see how Jericho has made any superstars. Yes Jericho Jobs alot I see that but to say he made stars is really pushing it as for The Rock and Austin I would say have pushed alot of people to the next level.... Austin is the man that made the Rock a main eventer from a great mid card act. The Rock owes a great deal of his career to Austin. Austin helped Kurt Angle get to that main event statues, I wouldnt say he made him but he put effort in getting Kurt there. The Rock on the other hand has made HHH, Brock Lesnar and even Chris Jericho. If it wasnt for The Rock to be there for Jerichos debut you on Raw it would of failed miserbly, Even Jericho says so. The crowd was dead the whole Jericho talkign segment. If it wasnt for the Rock to job to Jericho in those series of matches then Jericho would of never been in the main event, Jericho was nothing more than upper midcard for years before The Rock jobbed to him.... Austin and The Rock put of Jericho big time when he beat them both.

I look at Jericho and I think who did Jericho make? who did Jericho job to and made them a huge star?. Cena? No way, Cena was a way bigger star than Jericho at the time. If Jericho didnt job to Cena at SummerSlam Cena would still be in the same place he is, It had no effect on his career what so ever.... CM Punk? Sorry Jericho Jobbing to CM Punk did nothing for him. Punks career didnt change a bit cause Jericho jobbed to him at Mania... Shemause? Nope... Dolph Ziggler? Ziggler is not even main event and he was already a money in the bank winner before Jericho. I think Punk and Edge put Ziggler more on the map than Jericho.

Jericho is a great talent but I wouldnt say he created huge mega stars like Foley, Austin and Rock did.
    Good point. Got me thinking. Never really sat back and thought of the quality of talent that was made after one has put over another. That never fell into my equation. I can't disagree with your statement. It looks true.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    The Rock and Austin I would say have pushed alot of people to the next level.... Austin is the man that made the Rock a main eventer from a great mid card act. The Rock owes a great deal of his career to Austin. Austin helped Kurt Angle get to that main event statues, I wouldnt say he made him but he put effort in getting Kurt there.

The Rock on the other hand has made HHH, Brock Lesnar and even Chris Jericho. If it wasnt for The Rock to be there for Jerichos debut you on Raw it would of failed miserbly, Even Jericho says so.

Austin and The Rock put of Jericho big time when he beat them both.

Jericho is a great talent but I wouldnt say he created huge mega stars like Foley, Austin and Rock did.
    Wow, biased much? I'm not saying your wrong about your opinion here, after all it is your opinion, but I just wanted to clarify a couple things from a different perspective.

1) There is no way I believe that Austin made Kurt Angle. Kurt Angle is an Olympic Gold Medalist in Wrestling, and while competing against the Rock; SCSA; HHH; Undertaker; Brock Lesnar; Taz; etc... may have helped him gain experience inside a "pro" wrestling ring with WWE/WWF, he was already a huge mega star in his own right when he started. Angle could have went to ANY promotion and achieved the same success.

2) The Rock did not make Jericho; Brock Lesnar; HHH; etc... I have yet to see or hear any interview where Jericho states the above as fact. This is not to say that Rock didn't try to help people, but helping people (which is what Jericho does) and "making" someone become a star is completely different things.

3) Yes Jericho did beat Rock and Austin in the same night, but let's give credit to Jericho for this instead of making it sound like he was "handed" the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship on a silver platter. I believe that by the way you made your statement here and the logic behind it, then NOBODY deserves recognition for any accomplishments of any kind inside pro wrestling. So for example, instead of saying that Rock won the WWF Title 7 times shouldn't we instead be saying that Rock had someone job to him 7 times? I could be mis-interpreting what you meant with your statement, but this is how I read it, no offence meant.

4) This is the same logic as #3. If jobbing instead of hard work makes wrestlers into superstars, then Swagger; Ziggler; The Brooklyn Brawler; Santino; Chris Nowenski; Gillberg; JoMo; Hardcore Holly; The Blue Meanie; etc... made all the superstar of pro wrestling that people are "fans" of. It just doesn't compute with me like this.

This isn't meant as an attack against you or your opinion, it's simply a different perspective to look at and consider. What I really would like to know is why do people insist on putting certain superstars on a pedestal, while at the same time turning a blind eye to other superstars who did the same things as the ones on the pedestal? Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I respect that, even TheGreatOne's opinion of this blog he wrote. I just don't understand the overwhelming need of some to consistently bash others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Death
    Wow, biased much? I'm not saying your wrong about your opinion here, after all it is your opinion, but I just wanted to clarify a couple things from a different perspective.

1) There is no way I believe that Austin made Kurt Angle. Kurt Angle is an Olympic Gold Medalist in Wrestling, and while competing against the Rock; SCSA; HHH; Undertaker; Brock Lesnar; Taz; etc... may have helped him gain experience inside a "pro" wrestling ring with WWE/WWF, he was already a huge mega star in his own right when he started. Angle could have went to ANY promotion and achieved the same success.

2) The Rock did not make Jericho; Brock Lesnar; HHH; etc... I have yet to see or hear any interview where Jericho states the above as fact. This is not to say that Rock didn't try to help people, but helping people (which is what Jericho does) and "making" someone become a star is completely different things.

3) Yes Jericho did beat Rock and Austin in the same night, but let's give credit to Jericho for this instead of making it sound like he was "handed" the Undisputed Heavyweight Championship on a silver platter. I believe that by the way you made your statement here and the logic behind it, then NOBODY deserves recognition for any accomplishments of any kind inside pro wrestling. So for example, instead of saying that Rock won the WWF Title 7 times shouldn't we instead be saying that Rock had someone job to him 7 times? I could be mis-interpreting what you meant with your statement, but this is how I read it, no offence meant.

4) This is the same logic as #3. If jobbing instead of hard work makes wrestlers into superstars, then Swagger; Ziggler; The Brooklyn Brawler; Santino; Chris Nowenski; Gillberg; JoMo; Hardcore Holly; The Blue Meanie; etc... made all the superstar of pro wrestling that people are "fans" of. It just doesn't compute with me like this.

This isn't meant as an attack against you or your opinion, it's simply a different perspective to look at and consider. What I really would like to know is why do people insist on putting certain superstars on a pedestal, while at the same time turning a blind eye to other superstars who did the same things as the ones on the pedestal? Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I respect that, even TheGreatOne's opinion of this blog he wrote. I just don't understand the overwhelming need of some to consistently bash others.
    Ok well for I never said Austin made Kurt Angle. I said Austin helped Kurt Angle. Kurt was a former champ at that.point but he was a joke of a main eventer with cheap wins and never really considered a threat. Austin jobbed to him a few times over the year and Angle even kicked out of 4 Stunners at SummerSlam. he looked unbeatable and like a true main eventer. I dont remember taking Kurt as a real main event threat before that.

Another pet peve of mine is when you talk about Kurt Angle people throw his Olympic Background in the mix. What the hell does A Gold medal got to do with wrestling. Kurt was very entertaining on the mic a Great in ring performer and a hard worker. Wrestling isnt real so all the Gold medals, Superbowl rings or UFC championships dont mean nothing. Yes alot of people helped Kurt along the way so dont think if Kurt went to WCW he would of been big Star. I heard Kurt say himself that if he signed with WCW heis career wouldnt have went that far and he thanked Ric Flair for telling him to stay away from WCW.

If you look up Jerichos interview on his DVD he says right there how he hated his promo when he debuted with WWF and he called it cartoony and i think childish.

So let me ask you this, Before The Rock put over Jericho big time what was he doing? what was his placment on the card? not near undisputed champion. Rock made Jericho a main eventer. Jericho feuded with HHH and a whole host of main eventers but his Rock feud set him over the top.

Rock made Lesnar. WWE brought The Rock over to job to Brock. with The Rock taking on Brock at SummerSlam it gave it that big match feel. Read every review out there it says at SummerSlam the Rock made Brock Lesnar... i was watching Wrestling at the time Brock was unproven and The Rock feud really help put him over.

See thats the point im trying to make. Just.cause Jericho jobs doesnt mean he is making stars. he is just Jobbing.... People like Rock, Austin, Undertaker and Ric Flair put over people with out even jobbing, just by being in the ring with them....I ask anyone out there to show me a big huge star that Jericho made?. I will use Benjamin as a example. HHH lost a match by count out to Benjamin and he became a big deal. Jericho jobbed to him on a PPV clean and no one noticed. See my point?... Kofi was in the ring with Randy Orton in a feud that Orton won and Kofi looked like a he was gonna break out to main eventet. Jericho jobs to him and no one notices.

Im not biased cause im not a huge Rock fan, I do enjoy some of his work but think he is overated. I think Jericho is a great talent but all these titles people give him are undeservant.
    @ THE_CRIPPLER; I've never seen Jericho's DVD so I was unaware of what he stated on it. So I do get your point and you make a valid argument about the difference of jobbing and putting someone over. I just don't believe that Rock and Austin deserve all the credit for the rise of Jericho or Benoit or others, as it's all in the booking and how Vince wants the matches to end.

As far as what Jericho was doing at the time, well he was putting on 5 star quality matches against the likes of Benoit, Angle, Edge, Christian, Eddie Guerrrero, HHH, even Austin and Rock - (Although not necessarily main eventing status yet) - Jericho was moving up the ranks already when Rock and Austin put him over at the request of Vince.

Other than that then I would have to agree with your POV on Jericho's status compared with Rock and Austin at that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Death
    @ THE_CRIPPLER; I've never seen Jericho's DVD so I was unaware of what he stated on it. So I do get your point and you make a valid argument about the difference of jobbing and putting someone over. I just don't believe that Rock and Austin deserve all the credit for the rise of Jericho or Benoit or others, as it's all in the booking and how Vince wants the matches to end.

As far as what Jericho was doing at the time, well he was putting on 5 star quality matches against the likes of Benoit, Angle, Edge, Christian, Eddie Guerrrero, HHH, even Austin and Rock - (Although not necessarily main eventing status yet) - Jericho was moving up the ranks already when Rock and Austin put him over at the request of Vince.

Other than that then I would have to agree with your POV on Jericho's status compared with Rock and Austin at that time.
    Austin I wouldnt say made Jericho. I think beating Austin and the Rock in one Night gave Jericho some credentials but No it was The Rock I think help make Jericho. And I never said anyone made Benoit. Beniot got over on his wrestling abilty and style.

I dont understand your comments. See you tell me Jericho was having 5 star matches with all these different wrestlers when honestly He had one match with Kurt Angle and it was when Kurt Angle was pretty green and it was like 8 mins long. It was no where near 5 stars 3 maybe. He never faced Edge at that point and if he did it was just a throw away filler match. Jericho had 1 good match with Eddie Guerrero in WCW and it was no where near 5 stars and mostly carried by Guerrero, You can actually see Guerrero carry to match. His Benoit matches were good but a little disappointing compared to their Japan match and they ran about 4 stars but his ladder match with Benoit was incredible and while it isnt 5 stars its freaking close. As for Christian he had a good match at mania with him but it was years after The Rock match.

Jericho has never really been in a legit 5 star match. 5 Star matches are not something you throw around, I mean matches like Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio at HH 1997 is something I consider 5 stars, Steamboat and Flair 2/3 fall match. Not 8 min Raw matches.

There is a difference from feuding with someone and losing to them and making them and advancing them.... See Austin put Jericho over and feuded with him but it didnt have the effect that The Rocks feud had on his career.... Where would Austin be if it wasnt for the amazing Bret Hart feud and matches? Bret put alot of work with Austin and made him look like he belonged in the main event. Austin is a talented man but he needed a Bret Hart to show case his skills and help him.... Where would HHH be with out that Awesome Mick Foley feud? HHH was a joke of a champion untill Mick Foley helped him make it to that next level.

All Great superstars have that person that pushes them, goes for bat for them and puts that extra effort to help them get over or make it to that next level. Rock, Austin, Sting, Jericho, Flair and so on.... Those men are legends. Doesnt make them a bad wrestler cause a veteran or someone else higher on the card helped them get to main event statues.
    Okay I have to disagree with "Jericho never really been in a 5 star match IMO"

His matches at the 2 ppvs with HBK (I can't remember which ones exactly) but one was a ladder and the other was that brutal one where HBK's eye was all jacked up and bloody. Then the other was their WM match. 5 stars in my book.

Another 5 star Jericho match I can remember off the top of my head was against Rey at Summer Slam (I think) in Sacramento. 5 star match in my books. There's others too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V
    Okay I have to disagree with "Jericho never really been in a 5 star match IMO"

His matches at the 2 ppvs with HBK (I can't remember which ones exactly) but one was a ladder and the other was that brutal one where HBK's eye was all jacked up and bloody. Then the other was their WM match. 5 stars in my book.

Another 5 star Jericho match I can remember off the top of my head was against Rey at Summer Slam (I think) in Sacramento. 5 star match in my books. There's others too.
    I was there live for both HBK matches and they were great matches but not 5 stars. I would say their Wrestleania match was around 4 or 4 1/4 and the ladder match was great but was missing something. If you ask me I think their best match of the series was the street fight they had at Unforgiven which I say was a bit better than their Wrestlemania matchand I consider that 4 1/2.

as for the Awesome Mysterio match, I loved the match also but 5 stars is a hugeeeee stretch.

Jerichos best match and closest he ever got to 5 stars was the incredible ladder match with Benoit at RR. which is probably my favorite ladder match cause it told a great story. but that still is missing something from making it 5 stars it was sure damn close to it though.

I love Benoits work as you can tell but to me in the WWE I only seen Benoit in 2 5 star matches off the top of my head and that is Kurt Angle at RR 2003 and WM 20.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.