View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!

Rating: 5 votes, 2.80 average.
Why do I make this blog? Well, my 2 favorite superstars of all-time is Rock and Austin. Some people actually believe Jericho is in the league of Rock and Austin which I believe is a joke. I made posts on forums where I named Jericho over-rated just because of it. No chance Jericho is in their league. Points used against me is he beat them both on the same night. Who gives a crap? That doesn't make him better than Rock or Austin because he beat them. If that were the case, how many times better is Cena than Jericho because I don't remember a match ever when Jericho defeated Cena. What I'm going to do is compare the time Jericho became a main event talent aka wins his first world title. See how many main events he has had at the major ppvs in comparison to Rock/Austin. He certainly couldn't draw like them at all. SMS=Summerslam; SVS=Surivor Series; WM=Wrestlemania. How many main events did Jericho have from the time he became world champion til now? How about Rock and Austin in comparison? By the way, let us say that main event means last match here. Not using Rumble because Royal Rumble match is always the main event.

Rock won his first WWE title at SVS of 98 main eventing facing Mankind. WM main event WWE champion vs Austin. SVS 99 triple threat match WWE title main event Big Show/ HHH/Rock. WM 2000 fatal 4 way Rock vs HHH vs Foley vs Show in WWE title main event. SMS 2000 triple threat match main event for WWE title Rock vs Angle vs HHH won. WM 2001 Stone Cold vs Rock main event for the WWE title. SMS 2001 Booker T vs Rock WCW title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. SMS 2002 Lesnar vs Rock WWE title. SVS 2011 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock/Cena. -all Royal Rumble WWE title matches, Rock/Hogan WM 18, Rock/Austin WM19, among others he has 11 main events.

Austin won his 1st WWEtitle WM 14. SMS Taker vs Austin WWE title. WM 15 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 99 Austin vs HHH vs Mankind WWE title. Advertised to be in triple threat match vs Rock and HHH SVS 99, but hit by a car to be kept of TV and Big Show replaced him. SVS 2000 HHH vs Austin. WM 2001 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 2001 Angle vs Austin WWE title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. Took his ball went home after that match w/Scott Hall. Rock/Austin 3 didn't main event WM 19. Hasn't truly had a match since that time. Him and Rock took some serious periods off Austin for neck that kept him out from November 99-No Mercy of 2000 while Rock did movies for periods of time. 8 main events total - Rock/Austin 3; Rumble main events including 3 Rumble victories.

Jericho won his first WWE title at Vengeance of 01. WM 18 main event WWE title vs HHH. Only WM he main evented aka last match and the crowd was dead. SVS 02 EC. SMS 03 EC. SVS 04 Team Orton vs Team HHH wasn't even the captain of the team. Through the years, he became a midcard talent teaming w/Christian competing for the tag titles, battling for the IC title until he finished on top losing to Cena to take a 2 year absense. SVS 08 Cena vs Jericho World title. SMS 2010 Team WWE vs Team Nexus.
6 main events total in like a decade while Austin/Rock in 5 years out main evented him at the major ppvs minus the Rumble matches and the rest of the ppvs or it would have been a helluva lost worse. He lost in every single main event if you take into account he was eliminated in the tag matches. Austin/Rock didn't lose in all their main events on the big 4 ppvs. You'd think a major draw like Jericho would be able to get advertised to hype WM 19 if you face a guy like HBK. WM 19 claimed only 4 main event matches not featuring in the promo is HBK vs Jericho. 4 main events was Hogan/Vince, Rock/Austin, Lesnar/Angle, and Booker T vs HHH. Jericho can return and not main event ppvs. If Austin or Rock would come back, they would main event ppvs year round just like Lesnar.

Cena won his first WWE title at WM 21 in 2005. WM 22 Cena vs HHH WWE title. SMS 06 Edge vs Cena WWE title. WM 23 HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS Orton vs Cena 07 WWE title. SVS 08 Jericho vs Cena world title.
SVS 09 HHH vs HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS 10 Team WWE vs Team Nexus. SVS 10 Cena refs Barrett vs Orton. Count that as a main event or not, but the main hype surrounding it was Cena being free or fired. For Jericho's sake, I won't count it. WM 27 Miz vs Cena WWE title. SMS Punk vs Cena WWE title. SVS 11 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock vs Cena.
12 main events in 7 years of just 3 major ppvs per year. Cena to me will go down as a bigger star than Jericho as well. He is the biggest draw WWE has right now. Austin and Rock are bigger draws as well. That is why I take it as a slap in the face when Jericho is mentioned in the same sentence as Rock/Austin/or even Cena. After they won their major championship they didn't go back to winning midcard US or IC titles like Jericho. Midcard Wrestlemania or a major ppv event.

Jericho had just 2 1 on 1 matches in the main event of the 3 major ppvs in the last decade since winning his first WWE title. He didn't win any of his main event matches aka last matches on the major ppvs either. He lost in every single one of them. He didn't win his first or any major championship at Wrestlemania or big ppv event. Jericho isn't in Austin or Rock's league. Anyone who believes he is needs check the facts than his homerism. He isn't even in Cena's league for goodness sake. Hard to tell if he will even main event when he goes in to the HOF. I like Jericho, but I don't like it when people put him in the same category of top draws w/likes of Rock/Austin or even Cena. He is good, but he isn't that good. He may be better in the ring, but when it comes down to it....he isn't in their league. If he was, Jericho vs HBK at WM 19 would have been advertised as a main event. He would wins at major ppvs, not open them after winning the big one. Certainly not go back to winning IC titles for goodness sake. Jericho isn't in the league of Austin/Rock!!

Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Digg Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Google

Comments

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Jericho was never a legit champ. He had always won the belt through schemes and off of inteference, I never liked that WWE had his title run be through that chickenshit heel persona.
    austin> rock > y2j > ryder > cena and if u cant accept that then suck it
    Let me put this debate to rest right here...

How many 5 star matches of Austin can you name? How many of The Rocks matches were 5 star caliber? And before you start talking PROGRAMS, remember this is simply matches alone. I can think of both of theirs on 1 hand. Jericho has more that I can think of than the two combined.

But I forgot, wrestling doesn't matter in the E Universe does it, so let's take a different perspective. The Rock and Austin were both great in the segments they were given, but how did they look when they had bad gimmicks? What’d you think of the Ringmaster? What was your take on Rocky Maivia? Now how about Lion heart? Which was the best out of the three? Do you think Jericho has been popular longer than Austin/Rock since he made his “worst” gimmick look like gold, hence never really having a bad gimmick? Longevity in a career actually does have value to some people. Now since we’re talking the “theatrics” of the whole wrestling world, let me point something out to people. The Rock and Austin are remembered for good catch phrases. When you watch their promos, you’re entertained by the same catch phrases that they have used since becoming popular. Jericho’s promos evolved. From the cocky
    "Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla" to the sinister “Mental Mastermind", Jericho’s character has adapted to the times, which is why he has never been stuck with the tag line of “an Attitude Era Superstar” the way the Rock and Austin are remembered for. Jericho has surpassed Austin and Rock in that he is not remembered for what he once did, but rather people still look forward to what he can/will do.

Was Jericho as popular as the Rock or Austin? Hell no. But my final death blow to this argument is simple and it actually shows what kind of fan you truly are. Would you rather fuck the High School Prom queen, Head cheerleader that isn’t very interesting in bed outside of that one thing she does, the fact that everyone knows her, and wants you to please her without caring if you enjoyed it or not? Or would you rather have sex with the chick who is still hot, but knows a whole bunch of tricks, wants to make sex fun and enjoyable for the both of you, and is willing to tell everyone just how great you are in bed?
    Updated 09-17-2012 at 07:22 PM by Darkside Ron Garvin
    You can't possibly blame Jericho or Triple H for the crowd being dead at WrestleMania X8. Neither wanted to go on after Rock v. Hogan because they knew the crowd would be done at that point. The PPV was sold on Icon v. Icon, what chance did they have.

Also, Jericho is a completely different superstar to Rock and Austin. I like all three, but all for different reasons. I like SCSA because he was anti-authority and always did random things. Plus his finish was a sure fire crowd pleaser.

I like The Rock because he was the first person I personally noticed could control a crowd with a plethora of catchphrases.

In all fairness to Rock and SCSA, they are both great technical wrestlers, but their persona held that part of them back (although when they got to use their full arsenal they stole the show).

The reason I like Jericho and call him my favourite of all time is because he is great on the mic and he has always been a great technical wrestler and been allowed to show it. Not only that, but he always keeps his character fresh. He knows the business and will no doubt be helping younger stars for years to come.

I like all three superstars, but you can't compare them on PPV appearances and victories (that's just not how WWE determines who is on top). The fact is that all three are draws for WWE, and always will be. They're all different - Stone Cold was an ass-kicker, Rocky oozed charisma, and Jericho backs up his mic skills with his near-flawless in-ring work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V
    Yikes! Good points. I respect your opinion, but I really also considered Jericho a different type of legacy then Austin and the Rock. Rock and Austin can out draw him easy. But Jericho is better for the business in the long run. He helps put younger guys over in great matches and feuds. He helps the credibility of new stars, more so than any other wresters I can recall. I even believe he tunes down his promos so other wrestlers can appear to hang with him on the Mic. He's an unselfish contributor to the business, way more so than Rock or Austin. So if we are talking drawing power I wholeheartedly agree with you. Anything else is arguable.

It's kind of like trying to compare Bret Hart or HBK to Hulk Hogan. Hulk is the all time draw, just like the Rock and Austin are. But Hart and HBK were the work horses, especially HBK just like Y2J. Different class of talents.
    This blog doesnt make much sence to me so I wont comment on it but I will comment on the Playboys comment cause he always has a respectful intelligent answer and reply.

I dont really see how Jericho has made any superstars. Yes Jericho Jobs alot I see that but to say he made stars is really pushing it as for The Rock and Austin I would say have pushed alot of people to the next level.... Austin is the man that made the Rock a main eventer from a great mid card act. The Rock owes a great deal of his career to Austin. Austin helped Kurt Angle get to that main event statues, I wouldnt say he made him but he put effort in getting Kurt there. The Rock on the other hand has made HHH, Brock Lesnar and even Chris Jericho. If it wasnt for The Rock to be there for Jerichos debut you on Raw it would of failed miserbly, Even Jericho says so. The crowd was dead the whole Jericho talkign segment. If it wasnt for the Rock to job to Jericho in those series of matches then Jericho would of never been in the main event, Jericho was nothing more than upper midcard for years before The Rock jobbed to him.... Austin and The Rock put of Jericho big time when he beat them both.

I look at Jericho and I think who did Jericho make? who did Jericho job to and made them a huge star?. Cena? No way, Cena was a way bigger star than Jericho at the time. If Jericho didnt job to Cena at SummerSlam Cena would still be in the same place he is, It had no effect on his career what so ever.... CM Punk? Sorry Jericho Jobbing to CM Punk did nothing for him. Punks career didnt change a bit cause Jericho jobbed to him at Mania... Shemause? Nope... Dolph Ziggler? Ziggler is not even main event and he was already a money in the bank winner before Jericho. I think Punk and Edge put Ziggler more on the map than Jericho.

Jericho is a great talent but I wouldnt say he created huge mega stars like Foley, Austin and Rock did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Ron Garvin
    Let me put this debate to rest right here...

How many 5 star matches of Austin can you name? How many of The Rocks matches were 5 star caliber? And before you start talking PROGRAMS, remember this is simply matches alone. I can think of both of theirs on 1 hand. Jericho has more that I can think of than the two combined.

But I forgot, wrestling doesn't matter in the E Universe does it, so let's take a different perspective. The Rock and Austin were both great in the segments they were given, but how did they look when they had bad gimmicks? What’d you think of the Ringmaster? What was your take on Rocky Maivia? Now how about Lion heart? Which was the best out of the three? Do you think Jericho has been popular longer than Austin/Rock since he made his “worst” gimmick look like gold, hence never really having a bad gimmick? Longevity in a career actually does have value to some people. Now since we’re talking the “theatrics” of the whole wrestling world, let me point something out to people. The Rock and Austin are remembered for good catch phrases. When you watch their promos, you’re entertained by the same catch phrases that they have used since becoming popular. Jericho’s promos evolved. From the cocky
    "Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla" to the sinister “Mental Mastermind", Jericho’s character has adapted to the times, which is why he has never been stuck with the tag line of “an Attitude Era Superstar” the way the Rock and Austin are remembered for. Jericho has surpassed Austin and Rock in that he is not remembered for what he once did, but rather people still look forward to what he can/will do.

Was Jericho as popular as the Rock or Austin? Hell no. But my final death blow to this argument is simple and it actually shows what kind of fan you truly are. Would you rather fuck the High School Prom queen, Head cheerleader that isn’t very interesting in bed outside of that one thing she does, the fact that everyone knows her, and wants you to please her without caring if you enjoyed it or not? Or would you rather have sex with the chick who is still hot, but knows a whole bunch of tricks, wants to make sex fun and enjoyable for the both of you, and is willing to tell everyone just how great you are in bed?
    Well I ask you this. Pleaseee name one 5 star match Chris Jericho has been in? WM19 with Shawn michaels was 4 1/2 at best more likely 4 1/4.... Jerichos best match I ever seen him in was against Chris Benoit at Royal Rumble in a ladder match and that clocks in at 4 3/4 stars.... Steve Austins legit 5 star matchs?

vs Bret Hart Survivor Series 1996

vs Bret Hart WM 13

VS HHH 3 stages of hell NWO 2001

vs The Rock WM 17

IYH Can Stampede

War games 92

vs Dude Love at Over the Edge

Not to mention the matches many consider 5 stars. vs Kurt Angle at SummerSlam. vs Benoit at SmackDown. With HHH vs Benoit and Jericho.

Austin has had wayyyyyy more 5 star cailber matches than Jericho.

I will put this argument to rest with this. at the end of the 90s everyone did their best of the 90's top 10 match listings and for WCW most people put the War Games 92 match with Stings team vs the Dangerous allance on there list at number 1 (some considered Eddy and Rey) and on the WWF side most people put as their number 1 match of the 90's for WWF "Bret Hart vs Stone Cold WM13". That means Austin was on two different federations list as the best match of the 90's..... So please dont short change Austin or The Rock. Jerichos talented and a Great wrestler but in the ring, on the mic, Making stars, Main stream appeal Austin has him beat in every catorgory.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    vs. Bret Hart Survivor Series 1996 - 4.5 star rating

vs. Bret Hart WM 13 - 5 star rating

VS HHH 3 stages of hell NWO 2001

vs. The Rock WM 17

IYH Can Stampede - 3.5 star rating

War games 92 - 5 star rating

vs. Dude Love at Over the Edge

Not to mention the matches many consider 5 stars. vs. Kurt Angle at SummerSlam. vs. Benoit at SmackDown. With HHH vs. Benoit and Jericho.

Austin has had wayyyyyy more 5 star cailber matches than Jericho.

I will put this argument to rest with this. at the end of the 90s everyone did their best of the 90's top 10 match listings and for WCW most people put the War Games 92 match with Stings team vs. the Dangerous allance on there list at number 1 (some considered Eddy and Rey) and on the WWF side most people put as their number 1 match of the 90's for WWF "Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold WM13". That means Austin was on two different federations list as the best match of the 90's..... So please dont short change Austin or The Rock. Jerichos talented and a Great wrestler but in the ring, on the mic, Making stars, Main stream appeal Austin has him beat in every catorgory.
    You know Crip, I was going to go in depth on this and start pointing out which matches Meltzer and PWI actually gave 5 stars too, but after re-reading this, I believe that it's best to say that a 5 star quality match is always subjective. According to WON and PWI, Austin has been in 2 for sure 5 star matches; depending on your fandom, it could be more. But that's why I made my point about Austin in regards to what he'll be remembered for. Yes, The submission match was by far his best match in my opinion, but most will remember him for his character, not his wrestling. The same goes for the Rock. Jericho will be remembered for his work rate (which is what Meltzer/Cornett used to determine a 5 star match in the first place) and his ability to help others in the business get over. Everything else in the debate is subjective, just as 5 star matches are.

As for notable Y2J 5 stars (WWE alone, of course) -

2001 Royal Rumble vs. Benoit (Ladder)

2003 WrestleMania vs. HBK

2008 No Mercy vs. HBK (Ladder)

2009 Bash vs. Rey (Mask vs. Title)

But remember that's subjective.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.