View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!

Rating: 5 votes, 2.80 average.
Why do I make this blog? Well, my 2 favorite superstars of all-time is Rock and Austin. Some people actually believe Jericho is in the league of Rock and Austin which I believe is a joke. I made posts on forums where I named Jericho over-rated just because of it. No chance Jericho is in their league. Points used against me is he beat them both on the same night. Who gives a crap? That doesn't make him better than Rock or Austin because he beat them. If that were the case, how many times better is Cena than Jericho because I don't remember a match ever when Jericho defeated Cena. What I'm going to do is compare the time Jericho became a main event talent aka wins his first world title. See how many main events he has had at the major ppvs in comparison to Rock/Austin. He certainly couldn't draw like them at all. SMS=Summerslam; SVS=Surivor Series; WM=Wrestlemania. How many main events did Jericho have from the time he became world champion til now? How about Rock and Austin in comparison? By the way, let us say that main event means last match here. Not using Rumble because Royal Rumble match is always the main event.

Rock won his first WWE title at SVS of 98 main eventing facing Mankind. WM main event WWE champion vs Austin. SVS 99 triple threat match WWE title main event Big Show/ HHH/Rock. WM 2000 fatal 4 way Rock vs HHH vs Foley vs Show in WWE title main event. SMS 2000 triple threat match main event for WWE title Rock vs Angle vs HHH won. WM 2001 Stone Cold vs Rock main event for the WWE title. SMS 2001 Booker T vs Rock WCW title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. SMS 2002 Lesnar vs Rock WWE title. SVS 2011 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock/Cena. -all Royal Rumble WWE title matches, Rock/Hogan WM 18, Rock/Austin WM19, among others he has 11 main events.

Austin won his 1st WWEtitle WM 14. SMS Taker vs Austin WWE title. WM 15 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 99 Austin vs HHH vs Mankind WWE title. Advertised to be in triple threat match vs Rock and HHH SVS 99, but hit by a car to be kept of TV and Big Show replaced him. SVS 2000 HHH vs Austin. WM 2001 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 2001 Angle vs Austin WWE title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. Took his ball went home after that match w/Scott Hall. Rock/Austin 3 didn't main event WM 19. Hasn't truly had a match since that time. Him and Rock took some serious periods off Austin for neck that kept him out from November 99-No Mercy of 2000 while Rock did movies for periods of time. 8 main events total - Rock/Austin 3; Rumble main events including 3 Rumble victories.

Jericho won his first WWE title at Vengeance of 01. WM 18 main event WWE title vs HHH. Only WM he main evented aka last match and the crowd was dead. SVS 02 EC. SMS 03 EC. SVS 04 Team Orton vs Team HHH wasn't even the captain of the team. Through the years, he became a midcard talent teaming w/Christian competing for the tag titles, battling for the IC title until he finished on top losing to Cena to take a 2 year absense. SVS 08 Cena vs Jericho World title. SMS 2010 Team WWE vs Team Nexus.
6 main events total in like a decade while Austin/Rock in 5 years out main evented him at the major ppvs minus the Rumble matches and the rest of the ppvs or it would have been a helluva lost worse. He lost in every single main event if you take into account he was eliminated in the tag matches. Austin/Rock didn't lose in all their main events on the big 4 ppvs. You'd think a major draw like Jericho would be able to get advertised to hype WM 19 if you face a guy like HBK. WM 19 claimed only 4 main event matches not featuring in the promo is HBK vs Jericho. 4 main events was Hogan/Vince, Rock/Austin, Lesnar/Angle, and Booker T vs HHH. Jericho can return and not main event ppvs. If Austin or Rock would come back, they would main event ppvs year round just like Lesnar.

Cena won his first WWE title at WM 21 in 2005. WM 22 Cena vs HHH WWE title. SMS 06 Edge vs Cena WWE title. WM 23 HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS Orton vs Cena 07 WWE title. SVS 08 Jericho vs Cena world title.
SVS 09 HHH vs HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS 10 Team WWE vs Team Nexus. SVS 10 Cena refs Barrett vs Orton. Count that as a main event or not, but the main hype surrounding it was Cena being free or fired. For Jericho's sake, I won't count it. WM 27 Miz vs Cena WWE title. SMS Punk vs Cena WWE title. SVS 11 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock vs Cena.
12 main events in 7 years of just 3 major ppvs per year. Cena to me will go down as a bigger star than Jericho as well. He is the biggest draw WWE has right now. Austin and Rock are bigger draws as well. That is why I take it as a slap in the face when Jericho is mentioned in the same sentence as Rock/Austin/or even Cena. After they won their major championship they didn't go back to winning midcard US or IC titles like Jericho. Midcard Wrestlemania or a major ppv event.

Jericho had just 2 1 on 1 matches in the main event of the 3 major ppvs in the last decade since winning his first WWE title. He didn't win any of his main event matches aka last matches on the major ppvs either. He lost in every single one of them. He didn't win his first or any major championship at Wrestlemania or big ppv event. Jericho isn't in Austin or Rock's league. Anyone who believes he is needs check the facts than his homerism. He isn't even in Cena's league for goodness sake. Hard to tell if he will even main event when he goes in to the HOF. I like Jericho, but I don't like it when people put him in the same category of top draws w/likes of Rock/Austin or even Cena. He is good, but he isn't that good. He may be better in the ring, but when it comes down to it....he isn't in their league. If he was, Jericho vs HBK at WM 19 would have been advertised as a main event. He would wins at major ppvs, not open them after winning the big one. Certainly not go back to winning IC titles for goodness sake. Jericho isn't in the league of Austin/Rock!!

Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Digg Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Frist off the bigger draw you are does not mean you're better then everyone it just means that more people like you and i agree with Jericho being over rated in the ring and on promos. But look at Punk he was losing ratings at the start of this year but now hes gaining o maybe they never give Jericho the chance like they did with Punk.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDominate99
    And for HBK, he would be loved more than Rock and Austin if he didn't got injured.
    No he wouldn't have. Shawn Michaels was starting to get overshadowed by Austin and The Rock which is why he didn't want to put those guys over in his prime. When he had the back injury, he was paranoid of losing his spot because he knew someone new was going to take his spot which is why he didn't want to do the job to Austin at Wrestlemania 14 so I'm doubting that he would have wanted to put over Austin even if he didn't have the back injury. Shawn also knew that The Rock was starting to rise to the top which is why he did everything he could to hold him down and get the WWE to consider pushing Triple H to the top rather than The Rock. If Shawn Michaels didn't get injured, he would have still been overshadowed by Austin and The Rock. Plus, he had a pretty heavy drug problem and probably would have left the WWE eventually back in 1998 to go to rehab so whose to say he still would have been with the WWE if he didn't get injured?

Now I'm not knocking on Shawn Michaels. Hes one of the best in this business for sure and my favorite wrestler of all time. But Austin and The Rock were rising to the top and drew more than Shawn Michaels ever did in his career.
    Updated 09-16-2012 at 09:39 AM by Dubs
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDominate99
    Are you serious ? Since Jericho came back his ppv streak was 1- 6 so he lost 6 ppvs in a row just to put people over, example Royal Rumble got eliminated as last to Sheamus - Elimination Chamber lost to CM Punk, Wrestlemania Lost to Cm punk, Extreme Rules lost to Cm Punk, Over the Limit lost to Sheamus, MITB lost to John Cena.

The Rock on the other hand will problably stand 3-0 after Wrestlemania 29. I understand you love the Rock and hate Cena but it's the same, they both have 5 moves to win, they both were in the main event scene and look at this The Rock debuted in 1996 I THINK and after 1997 he was in the main event till he left you and all the other Rock fans 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2012. And Stone Cold couldn't come to Raw 1000 because he was busy or he had a injury. He couldn't show his face, I didn't ask for a stunner he could be backstage being the gm for 1 night but it was to much.

And for HBK, he would be loved more than Rock and Austin if he didn't got injured.

Love and RESPECT for HBK and Y2J
    I'm really not sure what your point is, in regards to the blog. Are you saying that, because Jericho is 1-6 in this most recent return, that he's better than Rock and Austin?

Now, I defend The Great One 100%.

But everyone else who are trying to be detractors, you just don't understand. You didn't live it. Sorry but youtube and wikipedia don't make you knowledgeable of things back then. If you didn't grow up and dedicated and die-hard fan during the Monday Night Wars, then you are not a fan who can make comparisons. Stop acting like you can. There's so much more to it than watching clips. It was an environment. An environment that was created by Austin and The Rock. An environment Jericho could never have created. He's not in their league. Not even close.

If you don't like what I wrote here. Too fucking bad. Go Tweet or Tout about it.
    Much of your argument seems to be based on number of PPV appearances, (geared heavily toward place on the card), and big wins, more specifically, title wins. This eliminates so many other facets, and is, for all intents, a "storyline" argument.

It negates the fact that he is every bit as good, if not better, than either of the others in terms of mic work, technical wrestling ability and sheer talent for making an impact.

What is also overlooked here is that people like Cena, Rock, Austin, Hogan, etc, could never have been in such a "league", had there not been a villain that everyone loved to hate, and people didn't pay to see them get their comeuppance. People like Piper, HHH, Jericho, Edge, often are dismissed as never being in this "league" when the reality is it wouldn't exist without them.

If you're saying Jericho never drew as much money, then, OK, you got me there, but in every other way, not only is he in the same league, he's better.
    This is one of the most bias blogs I think I've read in a while. Especially when it's written by someone whose user name is "TheGreatOne". The opinion is completely one-sided.
    While I agree that Rock and Stone Cold were huge draws. I also think that's all they were good for, just draws and ratings. These guys had the look and great promo skills. Just not tremendous wrestlers. People came to see the likes of Rock and Austin, but 9 times out of 10 they came out remembering the matches of the mid-carders. The Jerichos and the Edges.
    And being in the main event doesn't validate a wrestler. After Shawn Michaels came out of retirement, how many times did he main event? Not many. But he still ended up being dubbed Mr. Wrestlemania no matter where his match was on the card.
    People like The Rock and Stone Cold were excellent at bringing in new fans, but it was people like Chris Jericho who kept the fans watching.
    Updated 09-16-2012 at 10:32 AM by Clerk.Kant
    I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, I'm just pointing out facts. First of all I lived through the Monday Night Wars and some. During that period of time I always believed that SCSA was the best of all time "during that segment of time." I've never seen anyone do it better. I believe that if WCW would have used the SCSA character before the WWF did, WCW might have won that war regardless if the WWF had The Rock. IMO

Now as for anyone playing down Y2J's WWE run as not being spectacular during the Monday Night Wars, I have to point out again some hearsay facts, we read about Vince. First Vince did not like to put ex WCW talent who jumped ship during the Monday Night Wars over his own during the Monday Night Wars. Why would he make his created talent during that time look inferior to WCW guys who jumped ship? He wouldn't. So someone like Jericho who jumped ship in the middle of the Monday Night Wars, sure as hell wasn't going to just debut and beat the WWE's top guys and headline their PPVs. That would make no business sense and Bishoff would have ate that up in his anti WWE promo's on how their nobody ex cruiser weight is beating the hell out of the the WWE's elite heavyweights. God forbid during that time if the WWE would have put the WWE heavyweight championship strap on him. WCW would have had a field day with that.

It'd be like James Storm jumping to the WWE now. You really think he would be pushed quickly to the top to face Cena? Nope, but during the Monday Night Wars it was a lot harder to stay relevant.

So with that, I feel that if Jericho was never in WCW DURING the Monday Night Wars that would have changed his early circumstances. If he went straight from ECW to the WWE he would have been a bigger draw and held the belt during the Monday Night Wars IMO. It would have been "Vince's" creation.

I do credit Jericho jumping ship and being used good as a reason other stars jumped ship like Eddie and Beniot. WCW wasn't pushing them right and WWE was pushing Jericho a lot better than WCW was. If you noticed Eddie and Beniot didn't get the strap until AFTER the Monday Night Wars were over, if I'm remembering correctly. So with that said, if you were a ex WCW star in the Monday Night War era and you were even in the main event, ever, during the Monday Night Wars, you had to have went beyond the call of duty in every aspect as a superstar and worked your ASS off 10 times harder then "Vince's" created stars.

And no one can tell me that anybody got a bigger pop than Y2J when that clock ran down to zero during the Rock's promo and he made his debut. If so it wasn't by much. I watched it happen, it was huge.

I'm not knocking Rock or Austin, but just wanted to clear the air over some possible circumstances behind Jericho's Monday Night Wars WWE run.

Again hard comparison, different circumstances, different type of wrestlers, same league.
    Updated 09-16-2012 at 12:18 PM by Playboy Stevie V
    I'd say your a little bit biased there bud. But your right, Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock, he's way above and better than them. Jericho beat both Rock and Austin on the same night to become the first undisputed heavyweight champion. Neither Rock nor Austin can say that, nor can they say that they've wrestled as long as Y2J, nor have they contributed to the business the way Jericho has, nor as much. Jericho > Austin > Rock!! These are the facts.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.