View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!

Rating: 5 votes, 2.80 average.
Why do I make this blog? Well, my 2 favorite superstars of all-time is Rock and Austin. Some people actually believe Jericho is in the league of Rock and Austin which I believe is a joke. I made posts on forums where I named Jericho over-rated just because of it. No chance Jericho is in their league. Points used against me is he beat them both on the same night. Who gives a crap? That doesn't make him better than Rock or Austin because he beat them. If that were the case, how many times better is Cena than Jericho because I don't remember a match ever when Jericho defeated Cena. What I'm going to do is compare the time Jericho became a main event talent aka wins his first world title. See how many main events he has had at the major ppvs in comparison to Rock/Austin. He certainly couldn't draw like them at all. SMS=Summerslam; SVS=Surivor Series; WM=Wrestlemania. How many main events did Jericho have from the time he became world champion til now? How about Rock and Austin in comparison? By the way, let us say that main event means last match here. Not using Rumble because Royal Rumble match is always the main event.

Rock won his first WWE title at SVS of 98 main eventing facing Mankind. WM main event WWE champion vs Austin. SVS 99 triple threat match WWE title main event Big Show/ HHH/Rock. WM 2000 fatal 4 way Rock vs HHH vs Foley vs Show in WWE title main event. SMS 2000 triple threat match main event for WWE title Rock vs Angle vs HHH won. WM 2001 Stone Cold vs Rock main event for the WWE title. SMS 2001 Booker T vs Rock WCW title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. SMS 2002 Lesnar vs Rock WWE title. SVS 2011 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock/Cena. -all Royal Rumble WWE title matches, Rock/Hogan WM 18, Rock/Austin WM19, among others he has 11 main events.

Austin won his 1st WWEtitle WM 14. SMS Taker vs Austin WWE title. WM 15 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 99 Austin vs HHH vs Mankind WWE title. Advertised to be in triple threat match vs Rock and HHH SVS 99, but hit by a car to be kept of TV and Big Show replaced him. SVS 2000 HHH vs Austin. WM 2001 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 2001 Angle vs Austin WWE title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. Took his ball went home after that match w/Scott Hall. Rock/Austin 3 didn't main event WM 19. Hasn't truly had a match since that time. Him and Rock took some serious periods off Austin for neck that kept him out from November 99-No Mercy of 2000 while Rock did movies for periods of time. 8 main events total - Rock/Austin 3; Rumble main events including 3 Rumble victories.

Jericho won his first WWE title at Vengeance of 01. WM 18 main event WWE title vs HHH. Only WM he main evented aka last match and the crowd was dead. SVS 02 EC. SMS 03 EC. SVS 04 Team Orton vs Team HHH wasn't even the captain of the team. Through the years, he became a midcard talent teaming w/Christian competing for the tag titles, battling for the IC title until he finished on top losing to Cena to take a 2 year absense. SVS 08 Cena vs Jericho World title. SMS 2010 Team WWE vs Team Nexus.
6 main events total in like a decade while Austin/Rock in 5 years out main evented him at the major ppvs minus the Rumble matches and the rest of the ppvs or it would have been a helluva lost worse. He lost in every single main event if you take into account he was eliminated in the tag matches. Austin/Rock didn't lose in all their main events on the big 4 ppvs. You'd think a major draw like Jericho would be able to get advertised to hype WM 19 if you face a guy like HBK. WM 19 claimed only 4 main event matches not featuring in the promo is HBK vs Jericho. 4 main events was Hogan/Vince, Rock/Austin, Lesnar/Angle, and Booker T vs HHH. Jericho can return and not main event ppvs. If Austin or Rock would come back, they would main event ppvs year round just like Lesnar.

Cena won his first WWE title at WM 21 in 2005. WM 22 Cena vs HHH WWE title. SMS 06 Edge vs Cena WWE title. WM 23 HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS Orton vs Cena 07 WWE title. SVS 08 Jericho vs Cena world title.
SVS 09 HHH vs HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS 10 Team WWE vs Team Nexus. SVS 10 Cena refs Barrett vs Orton. Count that as a main event or not, but the main hype surrounding it was Cena being free or fired. For Jericho's sake, I won't count it. WM 27 Miz vs Cena WWE title. SMS Punk vs Cena WWE title. SVS 11 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock vs Cena.
12 main events in 7 years of just 3 major ppvs per year. Cena to me will go down as a bigger star than Jericho as well. He is the biggest draw WWE has right now. Austin and Rock are bigger draws as well. That is why I take it as a slap in the face when Jericho is mentioned in the same sentence as Rock/Austin/or even Cena. After they won their major championship they didn't go back to winning midcard US or IC titles like Jericho. Midcard Wrestlemania or a major ppv event.

Jericho had just 2 1 on 1 matches in the main event of the 3 major ppvs in the last decade since winning his first WWE title. He didn't win any of his main event matches aka last matches on the major ppvs either. He lost in every single one of them. He didn't win his first or any major championship at Wrestlemania or big ppv event. Jericho isn't in Austin or Rock's league. Anyone who believes he is needs check the facts than his homerism. He isn't even in Cena's league for goodness sake. Hard to tell if he will even main event when he goes in to the HOF. I like Jericho, but I don't like it when people put him in the same category of top draws w/likes of Rock/Austin or even Cena. He is good, but he isn't that good. He may be better in the ring, but when it comes down to it....he isn't in their league. If he was, Jericho vs HBK at WM 19 would have been advertised as a main event. He would wins at major ppvs, not open them after winning the big one. Certainly not go back to winning IC titles for goodness sake. Jericho isn't in the league of Austin/Rock!!

Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Digg Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Google

Comments

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    I was there live for both HBK matches and they were great matches but not 5 stars. I would say their Wrestleania match was around 4 or 4 1/4 and the ladder match was great but was missing something. If you ask me I think their best match of the series was the street fight they had at Unforgiven which I say was a bit better than their Wrestlemania matchand I consider that 4 1/2.

as for the Awesome Mysterio match, I loved the match also but 5 stars is a hugeeeee stretch.

Jerichos best match and closest he ever got to 5 stars was the incredible ladder match with Benoit at RR. which is probably my favorite ladder match cause it told a great story. but that still is missing something from making it 5 stars it was sure damn close to it though.

I love Benoits work as you can tell but to me in the WWE I only seen Benoit in 2 5 star matches off the top of my head and that is Kurt Angle at RR 2003 and WM 20.
    First of all, NICE that you were live at those events. Good stuff on ppv, I can only imagine how epic it was live.

Now as for not a five star matches I pointed out and I can see you pointed out Steamboat and Flair (which I also think is 5 stars), what is your criteria? Because the matches I pointed out that I saw were up to par and some cases better on face value of wrestling then anything The Rock has done and almost anything Austin has done, in the ring. Notable exceptions off the top of my head Austin vs Steamboat US title (i think) in WCW and of course Austin vs Bret I quit match, where IMO Hart and Steamboat had a lot to do with those matches being 5 stars cause they are top 5 easily, best ring generals of all time.

So unless you are uber conservative on how you make the determination of 5 stars, IDK how the Jericho matches I pointed out are not as good or better than anything the Rock or Austin has done. Unless you're taking into consideration drawing power for those matches, which I think you are?
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V
    First of all, NICE that you were live at those events. Good stuff on ppv, I can only imagine how epic it was live.

Now as for not a five star matches I pointed out and I can see you pointed out Steamboat and Flair (which I also think is 5 stars), what is your criteria? Because the matches I pointed out that I saw were up to par and some cases better on face value of wrestling then anything The Rock has done and almost anything Austin has done, in the ring. Notable exceptions off the top of my head Austin vs Steamboat US title (i think) in WCW and of course Austin vs Bret I quit match, where IMO Hart and Steamboat had a lot to do with those matches being 5 stars cause they are top 5 easily, best ring generals of all time.

So unless you are uber conservative on how you make the determination of 5 stars, IDK how the Jericho matches I pointed out are not as good or better than anything the Rock or Austin has done. Unless you're taking into consideration drawing power for those matches, which I think you are?
    I was lucky enough to have good to great PPVs be with in my area and Seeing both different endings to one of my favorite feuds HBK vs Jericho.

Well I guess the criteria for a 5 star match would be the same way you judge a TV show or a Movie.... Some people lean more towards the build, some more towards the atmosphere and some by the in ring performance. I liked Shawn and Jerichos match at Wrestlemania 19 but I felt it didnt live up to expectations, I was expecting a All time classic one of the greatest matches of all times, So in my mind not living up to the high expectations hurt it, The wrong guy went over, Jericho should of won which is another small reason. The psychology was good but not great, it was lacking a bit, lacked a little bit in excitement, Nothing really was outstanding or original, Didn't have that big match feel or that big fight feel, The finish was blah. Several factors I cant comment on cause I havent watched it in a few years... With Rey Mysterio Jericho in my mind had a better match then with Shawn Michaels at WM 19 but it was lacking a bit in big match feel, in Psycolgy and plus it didnt feel like you seen a 5 star match when you were done watching it, It was a Great match but it was missing that something.

5 star matches have great performance, Originality, lasting effect, Big match feel, Psychology, Excitement and sheer entertainment value, There is also that something you just cant explain.

Plus honestly every site that I read reviews of these matches I never ever seen anyone rate them 5 star, I seen in the low to mid 4 stars but never 5.

take a look at a bunch of reviewers reviewing WM 19

heres one review of several reviewers reviewing it... http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/co...leMania-19.htm

heres another review http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/vi...XIX-Review.htm

Heres the highest i ever seen it rated http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/vi...eMania-XIX.htm

also here http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/video_reviews/33258

and here is JD dunns reviews, he has written a few wrestling books. His reviews are better than most http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/vi...eMania-XIX.htm

Most people underate the HBK Jericho match cause of the ending and HBK winning really put a bad taste in your mouth but I honestly like the match better than most people do.
    So what I'm getting, correct me if I'm wrong, but a five star match regardless how good needs to have it all, including a big match feel and Jericho lacks the big match feel, build up and interest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V
    So what I'm getting, correct me if I'm wrong, but a five star match regardless how good needs to have it all, including a big match feel and Jericho lacks the big match feel, build up and interest?
    You know it really depends on the match. Eddy and Rey didnt have a big match feel to it, but what it lacked in that it made up for in excitment, Orginailty, Performance and flow of the match.

Jericho has failed miserbly to perform in a big match situation. His track record really isnt to great. I think Jericho likes being upper mid card and thats ok. Guys like Steamboat only dabbled in the main event but he is still one of the best performers.

When I look at Jerichos track record at big match main event matches, His record is kinda poor.... Look at him vs HHH at WM 18. Terrible match, well below expectations, Ok we can blame it on HHH for arguments sake to keep the Anit HHH IWCers from takign this conversation in the wrong direction. Jericho also faced Austin the month before in a very dull and below average match, Ok we will blame Austin in that match also. Lets Fast forward to HHH at Hell in a Cell, Jericho and HHH disappointed there also. Then we had Wrestlemania 25 against Edge which was subpar at best. Then Punk vs Jericho at WM 28 which was Good, I liked it but it was disappointing considering the talent involved.... Jericho has the choking stigma when it comes to big main event matches. but no one mentions that. Jericho is one of my favorite but I wouldnt consider him any where near the best ever.
    Updated 09-20-2012 at 08:31 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    People only think Jericho is as good as they do because he was around when Rock/Austin were active. He is one of the better rounded wrestlers today, however he is not better than Austin/Rock in any way.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.