View RSS Feed

ozfan

OO: Ozfan's Opinion: Greatest Reigns as WWE CHAMPION

Rate this Entry
Hey everyone. I am back and this time I will share with you my opinion on the greatest championship reigns in WWE. First of all, I would like to show my support for Jerry "The King" Lawler and hope he makes a speedy recovery. This post will include reigns from the WWE Championship. I will post reigns from other titles in the next few days such as the Heavyweight, Tag Team, Divas etc.

[B]1.[/B] [B]Bruno Sammartino:[/B] WWWF (WWE) Championship
[B]Date:[/B] May 17, 1963 - January 18, 1971 (2803 Days) defeated by Ivan Koloff
[B]Notes [/B]
- Longest World Championship reign in professional wrestling history
- 2nd ever WWE Champion.
- Longest reign as WWE Champion
- Bruno's first reign as WWE Champion.

[B]2.[/B] [B]Bob Backlund:[/B] WWF (WWE) Championship
[B]Date: [/B]February 20, 1978 - December 26, 1983 (2135 Days) defeated by The Iron Shiek
[B]Notes[/B]
- Title renamed "WWF Title" when WWWF became WWF, dropping the "Wide" in World Wide Wrestling Federation.
- Second longest reign as WWE Champion.
- Backlund's first WWE Championship reign.
- Longest reign under the World Wrestling Federation name.
- Backlund lost the title to Antonio Inoki on November 30, 1979 but regained it on December 17, 1979 defeating Bobby Duncum. The title was then vacated from October 19, 1981 until November 23, 1981. Backlund defeated Greg Valentine to win the vacant title and held it until December 26, 1983. Although Backlund lost the title twice, Inoki's reign and Backlund's second and third reign were not recognized.

[B]3. Hulk Hogan[/B]: WWF Heavyweight Championship
[B]Date: [/B]January 23, 1984 - February 5, 1988 (1474 Days) defeated by Andre the Giant
[B]Notes[/B]
- Kicked out of the pinfall attempt by Andre, although Hogan was still counted to the mat by an Earl Hebner imposter.
- Hogan's first WWE Championship reign.
- Defeated superstars such as Rowdy Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant and King Kong Bundy

[B]4.[/B] [B]Pedro Morales:[/B] WWWF Championship
[B]Date:[/B] February 8, 1971 - December 1, 1973 (1027 Days) defeated by Stan Stasiak
[B]Notes [/B]
- First ever Mexican WWE Champion.
- Morales' first and only WWE Championship reign.

[B]5.[/B] [B]John Cena:[/B] WWE Championship
[B]Date: [/B]September 17, 2006 - October 2, 2007 (380 Days) vacated due to injury
[B]Notes[/B]
- Longest WWE Championship reign in over 20 years.
- Defeated superstars such as Edge, Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels, Umaga, Bobby Lashley, Mick Foley and Booker T

[B] 6. [B]The [/B]Ultimate Warrior:[/B] WWF Heavyweight Championship
[B]Date: A[/B]pril 1, 1990 - January 19, 1991 (293 Days) defeated by Sgt. Slaughter
[B]Notes[/B]
- Upon winning the WWF Title, Warrior became the first man to hold both the WWF and Intercontinental Championships simultaniously.
- Warrior's first and only WWE Championship reign.

[B]7.[/B] [B]Triple H:[/B] WWE Championship
[B]Date:[/B] April 27, 2008 - November 23, 2008 (210 Days) defeated by Edge
[B]Notes[/B]
- Following Triple H being drafted from RAW, the title became exclusive to the SmackDown! brand again since June 2005 when then-champion John Cena was drafted from SmackDown! to RAW.
- Defeated superstars such as Randy Orton, John Cena and Jeff Hardy

[B]8. Randy Orton:[/B] WWE Championship
[B]Date: [/B]October 7, 2007 - April 27, 2008 (203 Days) defeated by Triple H
[B]Notes[/B]
- The night Orton won the title, he had already been awarded the championship, although he lost the title to Triple H ten minutes later and then won the title back at the end of the night.
- Defeated superstars such as Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Jeff Hardy and John Cena

[B]9. CM Punk:[/B] WWE Championship
[B]Date:[/B] November 20, 2011 - Present (327 Days+) defeated by TBD
[B]Notes[/B]
- Defeated superstars such as Jon Cena, Big Show, Kane, Mark Henry, Daniel Bryan, Chris Jericho and Alberto Del Rio
- Current WWE Champion

[B]10. John "Bradshaw" Layfield (JBL):[/B] WWE Championship
[B]Date: [/B]June 27, 2004 - April 3, 2005 (210 Days) defeated by John Cena
[B]Notes[/B]
- Longest WWE Championship reign in nearly a decade.
- JBL's first and only World Championship reign
- Defeated superstars such as Booker T, Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, Big Show and The Undertaker

[B]11. The Miz:[/B] WWE Championship
[B]Date:[/B] November 22, 2010 - May 1, 2011 (160 Days) defeated by John Cena
[B]Notes[/B]
- Cashed in Money in the Bank against Randy Orton to win the title.
- Miz's first WWE Championship reign
- Defeated superstars such as Randy Orton, John Cena, Jerry Lawler and John Morrison

[B] 12[/B]. [B]Chris Jericho:[/B] WWF Championship
[B]Date: [/B]December 9, 2001 - March 17, 2002 (98 Days) defeated by Triple H
[B]Notes[/B]
- Also won the WCW World Championship earlier that night from The Rock and upon defeating Stone Cold Steve Austin, Jericho unified the two titles, becoming the first ever Undisputed WWF Champion.
- Jericho's first WWE Championship reign
- Defeated superstars such as The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

[B]13.[/B] [B]Brock Lesnar:[/B] WWE Undisputed Championship
[B]Date: [/B]August 25, 2002 - November 17, 2002 (84 Days) defeated by Big Show
[B]Notes[/B]
- Youngest WWE Champion at the age of 25.
- Title renamed WWE Championship when the title became exclusive to the SmackDown! brand.
- Lesnar's first WWE Championship reign.
- Defeated superstars such as The Rock, Edge and The Undertaker

[B]I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED THAT. I WILL POST MORE IN A FEW DAYS AS I SAID BEFORE. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR OWN OPINIONS BELOW.[/B]

Submit "OO: Ozfan's Opinion: Greatest Reigns as WWE CHAMPION" to Digg Submit "OO: Ozfan's Opinion: Greatest Reigns as WWE CHAMPION" to del.icio.us Submit "OO: Ozfan's Opinion: Greatest Reigns as WWE CHAMPION" to StumbleUpon Submit "OO: Ozfan's Opinion: Greatest Reigns as WWE CHAMPION" to Google

Updated 09-14-2012 at 06:25 PM by ozfan

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Not a bad post. IMO, Triple H's greatest reign as WWE Champion was in 2000. Even though he did not hold the belt for that long, he still had a great feud with Mick Foley, defeating him in a street fight and again in a Hell in a Cell match. Still a good blog though. And as for John Cena's and Randy Orton's title reigns, I love them. Good job on the rankings too.
    Updated 09-14-2012 at 06:29 PM by ozfan

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.