View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!

Rating: 5 votes, 2.80 average.
Why do I make this blog? Well, my 2 favorite superstars of all-time is Rock and Austin. Some people actually believe Jericho is in the league of Rock and Austin which I believe is a joke. I made posts on forums where I named Jericho over-rated just because of it. No chance Jericho is in their league. Points used against me is he beat them both on the same night. Who gives a crap? That doesn't make him better than Rock or Austin because he beat them. If that were the case, how many times better is Cena than Jericho because I don't remember a match ever when Jericho defeated Cena. What I'm going to do is compare the time Jericho became a main event talent aka wins his first world title. See how many main events he has had at the major ppvs in comparison to Rock/Austin. He certainly couldn't draw like them at all. SMS=Summerslam; SVS=Surivor Series; WM=Wrestlemania. How many main events did Jericho have from the time he became world champion til now? How about Rock and Austin in comparison? By the way, let us say that main event means last match here. Not using Rumble because Royal Rumble match is always the main event.

Rock won his first WWE title at SVS of 98 main eventing facing Mankind. WM main event WWE champion vs Austin. SVS 99 triple threat match WWE title main event Big Show/ HHH/Rock. WM 2000 fatal 4 way Rock vs HHH vs Foley vs Show in WWE title main event. SMS 2000 triple threat match main event for WWE title Rock vs Angle vs HHH won. WM 2001 Stone Cold vs Rock main event for the WWE title. SMS 2001 Booker T vs Rock WCW title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. SMS 2002 Lesnar vs Rock WWE title. SVS 2011 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock/Cena. -all Royal Rumble WWE title matches, Rock/Hogan WM 18, Rock/Austin WM19, among others he has 11 main events.

Austin won his 1st WWEtitle WM 14. SMS Taker vs Austin WWE title. WM 15 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 99 Austin vs HHH vs Mankind WWE title. Advertised to be in triple threat match vs Rock and HHH SVS 99, but hit by a car to be kept of TV and Big Show replaced him. SVS 2000 HHH vs Austin. WM 2001 Rock vs Austin WWE title. SMS 2001 Angle vs Austin WWE title. SVS 01 Team WWE vs Alliance. Took his ball went home after that match w/Scott Hall. Rock/Austin 3 didn't main event WM 19. Hasn't truly had a match since that time. Him and Rock took some serious periods off Austin for neck that kept him out from November 99-No Mercy of 2000 while Rock did movies for periods of time. 8 main events total - Rock/Austin 3; Rumble main events including 3 Rumble victories.

Jericho won his first WWE title at Vengeance of 01. WM 18 main event WWE title vs HHH. Only WM he main evented aka last match and the crowd was dead. SVS 02 EC. SMS 03 EC. SVS 04 Team Orton vs Team HHH wasn't even the captain of the team. Through the years, he became a midcard talent teaming w/Christian competing for the tag titles, battling for the IC title until he finished on top losing to Cena to take a 2 year absense. SVS 08 Cena vs Jericho World title. SMS 2010 Team WWE vs Team Nexus.
6 main events total in like a decade while Austin/Rock in 5 years out main evented him at the major ppvs minus the Rumble matches and the rest of the ppvs or it would have been a helluva lost worse. He lost in every single main event if you take into account he was eliminated in the tag matches. Austin/Rock didn't lose in all their main events on the big 4 ppvs. You'd think a major draw like Jericho would be able to get advertised to hype WM 19 if you face a guy like HBK. WM 19 claimed only 4 main event matches not featuring in the promo is HBK vs Jericho. 4 main events was Hogan/Vince, Rock/Austin, Lesnar/Angle, and Booker T vs HHH. Jericho can return and not main event ppvs. If Austin or Rock would come back, they would main event ppvs year round just like Lesnar.

Cena won his first WWE title at WM 21 in 2005. WM 22 Cena vs HHH WWE title. SMS 06 Edge vs Cena WWE title. WM 23 HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS Orton vs Cena 07 WWE title. SVS 08 Jericho vs Cena world title.
SVS 09 HHH vs HBK vs Cena WWE title. SMS 10 Team WWE vs Team Nexus. SVS 10 Cena refs Barrett vs Orton. Count that as a main event or not, but the main hype surrounding it was Cena being free or fired. For Jericho's sake, I won't count it. WM 27 Miz vs Cena WWE title. SMS Punk vs Cena WWE title. SVS 11 Rock/Cena vs Miz/Truth. WM 28 Rock vs Cena.
12 main events in 7 years of just 3 major ppvs per year. Cena to me will go down as a bigger star than Jericho as well. He is the biggest draw WWE has right now. Austin and Rock are bigger draws as well. That is why I take it as a slap in the face when Jericho is mentioned in the same sentence as Rock/Austin/or even Cena. After they won their major championship they didn't go back to winning midcard US or IC titles like Jericho. Midcard Wrestlemania or a major ppv event.

Jericho had just 2 1 on 1 matches in the main event of the 3 major ppvs in the last decade since winning his first WWE title. He didn't win any of his main event matches aka last matches on the major ppvs either. He lost in every single one of them. He didn't win his first or any major championship at Wrestlemania or big ppv event. Jericho isn't in Austin or Rock's league. Anyone who believes he is needs check the facts than his homerism. He isn't even in Cena's league for goodness sake. Hard to tell if he will even main event when he goes in to the HOF. I like Jericho, but I don't like it when people put him in the same category of top draws w/likes of Rock/Austin or even Cena. He is good, but he isn't that good. He may be better in the ring, but when it comes down to it....he isn't in their league. If he was, Jericho vs HBK at WM 19 would have been advertised as a main event. He would wins at major ppvs, not open them after winning the big one. Certainly not go back to winning IC titles for goodness sake. Jericho isn't in the league of Austin/Rock!!

Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Digg Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Jericho isn't in the same league as Austin or Rock!!" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Yikes! Good points. I respect your opinion, but I really also considered Jericho a different type of legacy then Austin and the Rock. Rock and Austin can out draw him easy. But Jericho is better for the business in the long run. He helps put younger guys over in great matches and feuds. He helps the credibility of new stars, more so than any other wresters I can recall. I even believe he tunes down his promos so other wrestlers can appear to hang with him on the Mic. He's an unselfish contributor to the business, way more so than Rock or Austin. So if we are talking drawing power I wholeheartedly agree with you. Anything else is arguable.

It's kind of like trying to compare Bret Hart or HBK to Hulk Hogan. Hulk is the all time draw, just like the Rock and Austin are. But Hart and HBK were the work horses, especially HBK just like Y2J. Different class of talents.
    Updated 09-16-2012 at 01:00 AM by Playboy Stevie V
    Like Playboy Stevie V said you're comparing completely different types of Superstars. Before I say anything, I love Rock and Austin. They are two of my favourite guys in wrestling history. However in my opinion Jericho has done more for the WWE than them. Yes they were massive draws and amazing superstars. They brought in a whole new group of people to watch wrestling and it was in a fairly small space of time. I give them all the props in the world for that. But they left and Jericho was there for such a long time. During a time where there were so many main event superstars. The rise of Cena who as you said had so many main event matches, where was Jericho going to fit into it? He may not have been the top guy like them but he was there for the business. He comes back and puts over other superstars. I'd like to see the rock come back and let Dolph get a win over him. Jericho deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as both Austin and Rock, just not for the same reasons as them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V
    Yikes! Good points. I respect your opinion, but I really also considered Jericho a different type of legacy then Austin and the Rock. Rock and Austin can out draw him easy. But Jericho is better for the business in the long run. He helps put younger guys over in great matches and feuds. He helps the credibility of new stars, more so than any other wresters I can recall. I even believe he tunes down his promos so other wrestlers can appear to hang with him on the Mic. He's an unselfish contributor to the business, way more so than Rock or Austin. So if we are talking drawing power I wholeheartedly agree with you. Anything else is arguable.

It's kind of like trying to compare Bret Hart or HBK to Hulk Hogan. Hulk is the all time draw, just like the Rock and Austin are. But Hart and HBK were the work horses, especially HBK just like Y2J. Different class of talents.
    I totally agree with Playboy Steve (great wrestling name BTW.) Awesome pic of Akeem BTW2.
    If you define "league" as meaning who can draw the most money, then you are 100% right. Then again HBK never was a huge draw and neither was or is Undertaker, but they are still huge stars. Now if you are talking wrestling, speaking on the mic or telling a story then you are 100% wrong. Rock (who I love) and Austin (who I don't love, but appreciate greatly) are not in Jericho's league. In that case, Jericho is up there with HBK and Flair. Hogan, Rock, Cena and Austin are in their own league when it comes to drawing, I do agree there.
    I can see where your coming from I guess, but the thing is Jericho isn't just all about himself like Rock and Austin. He helps bring younger talents up and try to help them out in the business as for Rock and Austin have to main event and squash nearly everybody that they face. I mean and let's face it Cena is only in here because you needed somebody else to compare him too. Why won't you compare Jericho to everybody who's not in his league? Or other superstars who aren't in the Rocks and Austins league? All I'm saying is don't overlook Jericho because of his title reigns.
    Are you serious ? Since Jericho came back his ppv streak was 1- 6 so he lost 6 ppvs in a row just to put people over, example Royal Rumble got eliminated as last to Sheamus - Elimination Chamber lost to CM Punk, Wrestlemania Lost to Cm punk, Extreme Rules lost to Cm Punk, Over the Limit lost to Sheamus, MITB lost to John Cena.

The Rock on the other hand will problably stand 3-0 after Wrestlemania 29. I understand you love the Rock and hate Cena but it's the same, they both have 5 moves to win, they both were in the main event scene and look at this The Rock debuted in 1996 I THINK and after 1997 he was in the main event till he left you and all the other Rock fans 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2012. And Stone Cold couldn't come to Raw 1000 because he was busy or he had a injury. He couldn't show his face, I didn't ask for a stunner he could be backstage being the gm for 1 night but it was to much.

And for HBK, he would be loved more than Rock and Austin if he didn't got injured.

Love and RESPECT for HBK and Y2J
    He is in the same league... Just not as high those 2. Plus Jericho is one of those guys you can imagine help run the business when he's older, one of the few top wrestlers who actually seems to know his stuff.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.