View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

Last Night's Raw: Thoughts and Prayers with Jerry Lawler

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Hey fans. Savior here. The tone of this blog is going to be a little down, for obvious reasons. I will start by saying that I think New Jack needs to get out of his mom's basement and grow the hell up. Jerry Lawler is a legendary figure in wrestling, a little respect is in order. I'm sure everyone is with me when I say our thoughts and prayers are with Jerry Lawler.

Now, I watched the opening segment of Raw because I heard Bret Hart was gonna be there. I figured he would open. I figured Punk would come out and disrespect him. Now, Bret Hart is the absolute best in my mind. Just not when it comes to cutting promos. He can't hang with Punk, but Punk is out of his mind with saying he's better than Bret. *I'm sure someone who I argued with on the forum last week is laughing to himself right now, as am I*. He drew nice heat with that.

I've also been captivated with this Daniel Bryan and Kane thing. It is funny So my brother alerted me to their segments. I watched their match where they won. Then the sad news came.

I watched from there on out, simply because I was worried that it may have been the last time I see Jerry Lawler. Then I thought to myself. That's why I tune in when the legends are around. Those guys who made me a wrestling fan to begin with. Guys like Jerry Lawler, Bret Hart, Roddy Piper. I love finding out when there's going to be segments with Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Sgt Slaughter, and Dusty Rhodes. Because we never know when we won't see them again, as was evident at last night's Raw, we may never hear Jerry Lawler again. Heart Surgery is not something you just come back from in two weeks. Retirement may be in order here. And it's sad that it had to be this way. Now if there are people who are going to comment and say things like, "well, maybe they can finally bring Regal in for color commentary", I implore you to keep your comments to yourself. Because I don't wanna hear that crap. If they do bring Regal in to replace him, fine. But I refuse to be happy about the circumstances. So keep that crap to yourself.

One more shout out. I have full admirmation for Michael Cole. He did a fantastic job keeping us updated. He was a pure professional in the situation. He had to break kayfabe and never went back to it for the rest of the night. I applaud him 100%...and this comes from someone who absolutely hates him.

Now the closing segment was something of beauty. I'm setting myself up for slaughter here, but I thought John Cena was brilliant in that final segment. I feel CM Punk is starting down the Bobby Roode route. He's whining, it's all about respect him, he has IT, blah blah blah. All the same crap we hear from everyone who thinks they should be champ. It's so played out, it's laughable. Cena killed it on the mic last night and there's no denying that. He laid into Punk, Punk tried to talk back just to have the mic slapped out of his hand, he was called an Ignorant Son of a Bitch, and he was gonna get his ass kicked.

Now, not sure what's gonna happen at Night of Champions. Everyone wants Punk to win because everyone hates Cena, but if it does happen, it'll be because of interference or some sort of screwjob or something. However, it unfortunately spells the beginning of the end of CM Punk's cred as champion. After clean wins in feuds over Daniel Bryan and Chris Jericho to define his year as champ, he's now gonna be relegated to dirty, watered-down wins until he ultimately loses to The Rock at Royal Rumble, IF, he keeps the title that long. I say if, because everything John Cena said last night, was ultimately true. As champ, he's seen Main Event after Main Event pass him by. Why? Because WWE had Cena headlining. But there's more to that Why question. Cena headlines, because Cena draws. Punk obviously does not, or else he would be headlining. So I say IF, he holds the belt until Royal Rumble, because there's opportunity up and down. Cena can fued with ADR, (we all know how much WWE loves him, so we'll be forced to get him), Cena can feud with Daniel Bryan. (Okay, could be a good thing. Though Bryan won't hang and just be another Super Cena victim). But ultimately, because Cena vs Rock 2 will bring in more buys to the Royal Rumble, then Punk/Rock would. To the IWC who hates Cena, I know it sucks, but it IS reality.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out some thoughts about the first Raw I actually watched more than 10 minutes of since I gave up on WWE back in July. I hope you enjoyed this blog. Feel free to comment below, love me or hate me, but keep any negativity about Lawler and the announcing situation out.

God Bless Jerry Lawler. We're all pulling for a safe recovery.

Take Care Everyone.

Submit "Last Night's Raw: Thoughts and Prayers with Jerry Lawler" to Digg Submit "Last Night's Raw: Thoughts and Prayers with Jerry Lawler" to del.icio.us Submit "Last Night's Raw: Thoughts and Prayers with Jerry Lawler" to StumbleUpon Submit "Last Night's Raw: Thoughts and Prayers with Jerry Lawler" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    How does that make Cena a phony?
    You must not know the definition of phony.Whether it's the WWE that books him that way doesn' matter. Face of the company? Yes, but not the best wrestler.

CM Punk hasn't taken a backseat to anybody and I say that as a Punk mark. He is the longest reigning WWE champion in recent memory and continues to put on awesome performances. Just because he doesn't main event PPVs doesn't mean hes taking a backseat. Hes been booked pretty well I'll say.
    Not being in the main event is taking a back seat whether he has a better match has nothing to do with that.

He's put himself in the main event? I'm not sure I understand that one. Hes been in more superior feuds than CM Punk at the time and draws more interest. The bigger draws are the ones who main event and John Cena is the biggest draw they have. Plus, some people complain about John Cena always being in the WWE title scene, yet, complain about him being the main event as well. I don't understand this notion of wanting the WWE's top draw to get booked lower on the card despite him being a main attraction. If people don't want to see him capture the WWE title constantly, than the smart thing to do is give him feuds that draw with it not involving the WWE title.
    ]
    You call Cena vs Big Johnny superior to Punk vs Bryan, WOW. Yes we did complain about him constantly being in the title picture, but I only complain about him being in the main event because I feel the WWE championship should always be the main event with the exeption of big time matches such as HBK vs Undertaker or yes even Cena vs The Rock. The WWE championship is the top accolade of the WWE and not having it in the main event is an insult to not only the title, but the title holder. By putting Cena in the main event over the WWE championship is basically saying he more important than the title. If thats the case than they might as well get rid of the title and have everyone fight for John Cena.

The Rock and Mic Foley suck up to the crowd all the time. Doesn't mean they are insecure. They just know how to work a crowd just like Cena.
    This is about Cena and Punk not Rock and Foley. To make things clear, Cena knows how to work a crowd like THEM not vice versa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabroni1904
    You must not know the definition of phony.Whether it's the WWE that books him that way doesn' matter. Face of the company? Yes, but not the best wrestler.
    I know the definition of the word phony. And you have yet to explain to me how that has any merit on him being a phony. Besides, whether WWE considers him the best wrestler, do you blame them? That's THEIR draw. Hes their cash cow. Why wouldn't they promote them as such? Paul Heyman was a good example of promoting his ECW top talent as world class athletes because in order for the fans to believe his ECW main eventers were the best no matter what, he would have to build them as such. That's marketing 101.

Not being in the main event is taking a back seat whether he has a better match has nothing to do with that.
    No it's not taking a backseat. When you are the WWE champion and have gotten the longest reigning WWE title in recent memory, that's not taking a backseat to anybody. Taking a backseat would mean CM Punk is put in a position where hes not in the WWE title scene even though he should be which isn't the case since hes the WWE Champion. You're putting too much emphasis on match placement.

You call Cena vs Big Johnny superior to Punk vs Bryan, WOW.
    In terms of storyline build, yes it was. CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan was set to be the best match on the card but in the end, it was built as a thrown-together match that had no heat on it. On the other hand, John Cena vs John Laurinaitis was a well-built up feud with a stipulation added to the match which was that if John Cena pinned Laurinaitis, that Laurinaitis would be terminated.

Yes we did complain about him constantly being in the title picture, but I only complain about him being in the main event because I feel the WWE championship should always be the main event with the exeption of big time matches such as HBK vs Undertaker or yes even Cena vs The Rock. The WWE championship is the top accolade of the WWE and not having it in the main event is an insult to not only the title, but the title holder.
    Again, you're putting too much emphasis on match placement. You've said it yourself, the WWE championship is the top accolade of the WWE so whether the WWE champion headlines a PPV, hes still the #1 guy in the WWE since hes carrying the company's most prize possession. CM Punk hasn't taken a backseat to anybody because he has gotten one of the most entertaining WWE titles in recent memory while John Cena is fighting in feuds OUTSIDE of the WWE title picture.

By putting Cena in the main event over the WWE championship is basically saying he more important than the title. If thats the case than they might as well get rid of the title and have everyone fight for John Cena.
    Not really. It just shows that John Cena is involved in a big feud that should headline that PPV to draw fan interest. If John Cena was facing a mid-carder like Jindar Mahal, then you would have a point that he shouldn't main event that PPV but if he was involved in a big match, then he should headline that PPV.

This is about Cena and Punk not Rock and Foley. To make things clear, Cena knows how to work a crowd like THEM not vice versa.
    I was using The Rock and Mic Foley as an example which proved my point.
    Updated 09-11-2012 at 05:56 PM by Dubs
    Okay, first, the definition of phony is, "fake" or "pretending to be something you're not". So, everyone in WWE is a phony as perceived on TV. You don't know John Cena, or CM Punk personally, so you have no clue if they're phony or not.

Second, to say "best" is just an opinion. In your opinion, he's not the best wrestler. And that's good for you. But someone else's opinion might be that he is the best. And that's their opinion, which they have a right to have.

My opinion is, Cena can out perform Punk on all facets. Why? Because he can hoist the Big Show up on his shoulders for an AA, making him virtually as strong as say, Ryback. But he can climb the ropes and fly across the ring with a leg drop, making him virtually as agile as say, Kofi Kingston. He also brings a high octane offense, similar to that of The Ultimate Warrior. So, tell me where Punk out performs Cena. Maybe he can fly across the ring, but he couldn't lift up Big Show...in fact, he probably couldn't lift up somone half of Big Show's size. I doubt he could even lift up Sheamus. So, who's the best wrestler? Gotta remember, if you've been following Punk in ROH for years, he's not the same. He's the WWE version of CM Punk, which means he kicks, punches, and does a three or four move set, which is simple choreography. He doesn't have the Raw size and talent that Cena has.
    Other than him speaking French and calling Punk a SOB, I thought it was a routine promo from Cena. But if that is all that it takes to get people excited, then pour in the "mofo's" and "bonjour's" from now on.

Good blog DK, ain't read a good one in time.
    And you have yet to explain to me how that has any merit on him being a phony.
    He's portraying something he's not, THE BEST. I'm also talking storyline. On t.v, it's clear John isn't the best WRESTLER, but yet his storylines always have him portray such. I'm not just calling him a phony, i'm just arguing the fact that CM Punk is because I dont know why he claims that.

No it's not taking a backseat. When you are the WWE champion and have gotten the longest reigning WWE title in recent memory, that's not taking a backseat to anybody. Taking a backseat would mean CM Punk is put in a position where hes not in the WWE title scene even though he should be which isn't the case since hes the WWE Champion. You're putting too much emphasis on match placement.
    If you're not in the main event then you're taking a backseat to whoever is. Match placement is important. The main event is for the best match and Punk has the majority of the best ppv matches.

In terms of storyline build, yes it was. CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan was set to be the best match on the card but in the end, it was built as a thrown-together match that had no heat on it. On the other hand, John Cena vs John Laurinaitis was a well-built up feud with a stipulation added to the match which was that if John Cena pinned Laurinaitis, that Laurinaitis would be terminated.
    Like I said, the main event is for the best match and Punk vs Bryan was without a doubt going to be the better match.

Again, you're putting too much emphasis on match placement. You've said it yourself, the WWE championship is the top accolade of the WWE so whether the WWE champion headlines a PPV, hes still the #1 guy in the WWE since hes carrying the company's most prize possession. CM Punk hasn't taken a backseat to anybody because he has gotten one of the most entertaining WWE titles in recent memory while John Cena is fighting in feuds OUTSIDE of the WWE title picture.
    Yes and you said the best built match should main event so then Punk vs Jericho should have main evented Extreme Rules. And if Cena is the biggest draw than his match placement shouldn't matter because he'll draw regardless. Punk , however, would benifit much more from the hype of a main event match.

Not really. It just shows that John Cena is involved in a big feud that should headline that PPV to draw fan interest. If John Cena was facing a mid-carder like Jindar Mahal, then you would have a point that he shouldn't main event that PPV but if he was involved in a big match, then he should headline that PPV.
    Cena vs Johnny was not a big match regardless of the stipulations. It was boring with a predictable ending.

I was using The Rock and Mic Foley as an example which proved my point.
    You're right about working the crowd, but Rock and Foley dont go around making false statement like saying Punk and his title reign have been irrelevant.
    Okay, first, the definition of phony is, "fake" or "pretending to be something you're not". So, everyone in WWE is a phony as perceived on TV. You don't know John Cena, or CM Punk personally, so you have no clue if they're phony or not.

Second, to say "best" is just an opinion. In your opinion, he's not the best wrestler. And that's good for you. But someone else's opinion might be that he is the best. And that's their opinion, which they have a right to have.

My opinion is, Cena can out perform Punk on all facets. Why? Because he can hoist the Big Show up on his shoulders for an AA, making him virtually as strong as say, Ryback. But he can climb the ropes and fly across the ring with a leg drop, making him virtually as agile as say, Kofi Kingston. He also brings a high octane offense, similar to that of The Ultimate Warrior. So, tell me where Punk out performs Cena. Maybe he can fly across the ring, but he couldn't lift up Big Show...in fact, he probably couldn't lift up somone half of Big Show's size. I doubt he could even lift up Sheamus. So, who's the best wrestler? Gotta remember, if you've been following Punk in ROH for years, he's not the same. He's the WWE version of CM Punk, which means he kicks, punches, and does a three or four move set, which is simple choreography. He doesn't have the Raw size and talent that Cena has.
    Actually, Punk has picked up Kane and delivered a GTS. That's 320 pounds. Virtually? Virtaully Cena has no talent. A leg drop off the top rope is not flying, it's falling.If he can pull off a shooting star press like Lesnar, that'll be considered flying. Cena isn't technically sound like Punk.
    He's portraying something he's not, THE BEST. I'm also talking storyline. On t.v, it's clear John isn't the best WRESTLER, but yet his storylines always have him portray such. I'm not just calling him a phony, i'm just arguing the fact that CM Punk is because I dont know why he claims that.
    If we are talking kayfabe, then he is the best because aside from him getting beat by The Rock at Wrestlemania 28, hes rarely been beaten cleanly. That's what John Cena said to CM Punk in his promo 4 weeks ago. He said that if CM Punk beats him at Night of Champions, it will make up for what hes never been able to do and that's beat Cena cleanly which will define his existence by beating the face of the WWE fair and square. That's the aspect of the feud that makes this a great storyline. It was sorta like when The Rock challenged Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 18 and told Hogan that he has never beaten The Rock and will have to do so to be called the best ever.

If you're not in the main event then you're taking a backseat to whoever is. Match placement is important. The main event is for the best match and Punk has the majority of the best ppv matches.
    If CM Punk has the best matches, what difference does it make whether he is in the first match of the card or the last? Hes the WWE champion which means he is the one to beat for the WWE championship. Hes in a position where everyone wants to be at, even John Cena.

Like I said, the main event is for the best match and Punk vs Bryan was without a doubt going to be the better match.
    But that doesn't mean it should have headlined Over The Limit. Like I said before, John Cena vs John Laurinaitis had more spice to it given the stipulation of the match. We all knew it wasn't going to be the greatest match in the world but it was the most build-up match on the card. CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan, despite having a MOTY candidate, was just a thrown-together match right until they added AJ to their feud which made their storyline much more interesting.

Yes and you said the best built match should main event so then Punk vs Jericho should have main evented Extreme Rules. And if Cena is the biggest draw than his match placement shouldn't matter because he'll draw regardless. Punk , however, would benifit much more from the hype of a main event match.
    Not really. Brock Lesnar vs John Cena drew in more interest and had a better build-up than CM Punk vs Chris Jericho. In CM Punk's case, it wouldn't have mattered if he wasn't going to main event on that PPV because he stilled retained his WWE title and put on a great street fight, making his WWE title reign even longer and the main man to beat. Brock Lesnar vs John Cena just drew more interest and the Extreme Rules buy-rates is an example of that.

Cena vs Johnny was not a big match regardless of the stipulations. It was boring with a predictable ending.
    It still gave Over The Limit a pretty good buy-rate regardless of it being boring and predictable.

You're right about working the crowd, but Rock and Foley dont go around making false statement like saying Punk and his title reign have been irrelevant.
    I think Cena calling Punk's title reign "irrelevant" was basically a way of telling Punk what he wants to hear but getting inside his head. It's basically him saying "Look, you know what Punk? If you think that you have been put on the back-burner, than You're right. Your title reign has been playing second-fiddle and it will continue to be until you find yourself and stop demanding respect to stroke your own ego." I don't think there was anything wrong with that line.
    Updated 09-11-2012 at 08:12 PM by Dubs
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.