View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)

Rate this Entry
Anybody who follows my Twitter account will know two things – I was especially active on social media last night, and I really enjoyed Raw. Michael Cole must be really proud of me…

The reason I enjoyed Raw last night was not the same as most people would have, Paul Heyman’s appearance in the closing seconds. Rather, I enjoyed Raw last night because it had a strong opening segment and a stronger opening match (not overly sure why they cut to a break as Dolph Ziggler vs. Randy Orton started though, given how good their match was on SmackDown last week). In fact, Raw was one of the more enjoyable episodes for me right up until the final hour. It seems WWE uses the majority of their final hour to de-hype the crowd for the main event (John Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio doesn’t particularly interest me, but last night was a pleasant surprise). In fact, the only disappointments were the fact that they wasted a US title match on Raw two weeks before Night of Champions, and the Vickie Guerrero and AJ segment (she may not be able to hit Vickie, but surely she can fire her?).

Anyway, let’s get to talking about the best episode since Raw1000.

CM Punk, I respect you

I’d like to publically thank CM Punk for making Raw exciting last night.

Not only were we all spared Jerry Lawler’s outdated and inaccurate commentary, but he gave us two great promos, and cost John Cena his match with Del Rio. In fact, the only part which disappointed me is that Punk never actually had his match with Sheamus (I’m hopeful that WWE is saving that for PPV at some point).

I overlooked Paul Heyman in that last part, and the reason is that I don’t particularly know how WWE are going to play it from here out. I love that WWE has me guessing after weeks of predictability, and I’ve even had tweets from people telling me that it might be a modern nWo with indie superstars, or Heyman’s guys as Punk called himself a year ago.

Needless to say, Punk is responsible for us fans being treated to some awesome commentary from The Miz last night (he knows a lot about hugging it out…), Sheamus’ mediocrity at cutting promos against a pro (he couldn’t have been more flustered if you ask me), and Alberto Del Rio picking up his third successive win over a big name in two weeks (Orton and Cena in a week, that’s pretty impressive).

Thank you Punk, but I for one hope the Heyman alliance (as much as I like the idea) is short-lived enough for Lesnar to miss out on a title match when he eventually returns.

Sheamus vs. Alberto Del Rio, I finally picked a side

Despite being a fan of Sheamus since he debuted and really disliking Del Rio for much of his WWE run, I’m actually on the side of Del Rio heading into Night of Champions.

Over the last month or so, he has shown that he can control matches and do it in an interesting manner. Not only that, but WWE are finally putting him over right. Recording victories over Randy Orton, Kane, and now Cena in the past two weeks is something which even CM Punk wouldn’t be allowed to accomplish. In fact, a few years ago that feat would be the WWE executives’ idea of Jericho defeating The Rock and Stone Cold in one night in a modern era.

Whilst Del Rio has gained momentum, Sheamus has recently become pretty dull as World Heavyweight Champion (a title which will always be second fiddle to the WWE Championship). Whilst I liked his win by submission, and what I’m dubbing the Irish Cloverleaf, it isn’t enough to stop me from wanting a new champion. Del Rio finally looks like he could convincingly hold that title, and Sheamus has become too much of a babyface in my eyes.

I just wish WWE could wipe the record of Del Rio’s previous ‘too soon’ title reigns…

Anger Management, end scene

I’ve really enjoyed the anger management segments of the past two weeks, and I couldn’t help but laugh at what the WWE Universe had in mind for Daniel Bryan and Kane (I’ll admit it, I voted for #WWEhug too).

I’m not sure why, but the idea of these two as a tag team sounds good to me (despite the Tag titles being a hindrance for most single competitors over the last few years). With that being said, the hug it out segment was brilliant for two reasons – Bryan’s inability to stay in character throughout, and The Miz’s expertise on the rules of hugging it out.

The whole thing was pure gold, and I hope Harold is okay.

In other news…

Dolph Ziggler def. Randy Orton – Another great match between these two, and Ziggler won clean…ish. I mean, who doesn’t use the tights for leverage these days? I’ve never really seen how that can be an illegal move anyway.

Sin Cara & Rey Mysterio def. Cody Rhodes & Tensai – I really like the idea of a Mysterio/Sin Cara tag team permanently, and it would go well considering the array of teams in the Tag Team Championship picture right now. Also, what happened to Tensai? He once beat John Cena, y’know…

Eve def. Kaitlin – I’m glad The Miz and Layla took my mind off of this match, because I for one cannot stand Kaitlin. I don’t know if it’s that she’s set to win the divas title after a month on TV, or her awful music, but I just don’t like her. I’m glad Eve won this one, and Miz owned Layla on commentary.

Ryback def. Jinder Mahal – Ryback now has a shirt, and I will buy it when he gets into a meaningful and long-running feud.

United States Champion Antonio Cesaro def. Santino Marella – It’s a shame about the thigh tape, socks, and poor finisher, because I like Cesaro apart from those three things. Great music, but the best thing about him right now is Aksana.

Zack Ryder def. Heath Slater – This match actually wasn’t bad, but I was distracted by the fact that both superstars got a jobber entrance. Surely Slater deserves better?

AJ apologised to Vickie Guerrero – I don’t see the point in this entire angle. It’s plain to see that AJ is a terrible GM, but surely she can fire an employee for assaulting her? You failed here, WWE.

I said going in that I really enjoyed Raw last night, and I stand by it.

You can tell I have no real problems with what WWE did last night, and it was the first time I can honestly say they properly utilised the three hour timeslot. The only thing I would have done away with is the AJ/Vickie segment, but I just plain see no point in their rivalry given that Vickie was a pretty awful GM herself.

As much as I loved The Miz on commentary, I hope he actually gets a match next week to lead him to Night of Champions in more than a time-filler role. He needs a rivalry, and a good one at that, to really use the aggression he’s had since he came back. Get Miz a meaningful rival otherwise this could be another flop for the Awesome One.

Thanks for reading, and until next week follow me on Twitter (@SpringerAJ) and tweet me with #YYYTRR.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Another great review. I really hope that the WWE can get behind Kane & Daniel Bryan and Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara as permanent tag teams. I also think that this Raw was one of the more entertaining Raws of 2012 (so far).
    Miz deserves a commentary role after his in-ring career is over.
    I have a feeling it's not Cole ruining commentary it's been Jerry this whole tim, IMO the best RAW's since going 3 hours (if you don't count RAW 1000) and the funny thing is Jerry was not on commentary.
    I bitch about Raw so much, but last night was great!
    I'm with you on most of this. The few nit-picky things I will say:

1- I simply cannot get behind DelRio for Heavyweight Champ. He would only work as a chaser for someone else to take the title from- but who? Ziggles cashing in? Possibly, but there is no real heat between these two. I would much prefer to see Zigs taking the opportunity to cash in after Shea-moose takes a good beating and actually winning, and I'm sure most people would, too. This leads me to point number:

2- I really, REALLY (yes, that was said in a Miz voice) want them to develop a good Ziggler-Orton feud, but I fear this will be nipped in the bud by the Randy one's immanent departure to go make a film. Bad timing, WWE.

3- I cannot fathom why the WWE would choose last night of all nights for Punk to only make 3 brief appearances on Raw. They were in his hometown! OK they need to develop his heel angle and for him to get the biggest pop of anybody kinda doesn't work but still, don't rob your paying customers of what they came to see. (Totally marked out when I saw Heyman's weaselly little face sticking out of the car window, though!)
    Simply put every raw that is hosted in chicago never fails to deliver a good show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don
    Miz deserves a commentary role after his in-ring career is over.
    Completely agree

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.