View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)

Rate this Entry
Before I proceed onto tonight’s blog, I want to do two things.

I want to applaud Michael Cole on his professionalism, firstly. If I were in his situation tonight I would have left with Jerry Lawler, and for Cole to stay behind the desk (albeit silently) in order to bring us fans prompt updates on Lawler’s situation had to be extremely difficult.

I would also like to extend my best wishes to Jerry Lawler. Given I have spent the majority of my time writing this blog pointing out the reasons why I do not like his role in WWE programming, I have never disliked him as a person because I do not know him. All I know about him is that he has accomplished more than most superstars of his generation, and for that he deserves respect. I would never wish what happened tonight on anybody, and my thoughts are with him. As Cole said, beat this thing Jerry.

Now I’ll go onto the review. I hope you understand that for some of Raw tonight my attention was elsewhere, but I’ll do my best to recap what I saw. For what it’s worth, tonight was a good episode of Raw before the Lawler incident. The matches were solid, and Punk played a great role all night. I even thought the Bret Hart/John Cena interview segment was pretty good (but that was mainly down to Punk and the fact that Cena used the emotion he had from an hour earlier as fuel for a great, albeit wrong in parts, promo).

“I’m a Paul Heyman guy” – CM Punk, June 2011

Even in the dark light that was the final hour or so of Raw, CM Punk still manages to captivate me. He made a number of appearances tonight, including a thirty minute appearance in his ring gear taking part in two matches. The guy even made a random conversation with Paul Heyman that was barely audible interesting.

WWE didn’t really do anything to explain CM Punk’s affiliation with Paul Heyman tonight, but I like the way they’re playing it. I’ve read reports (that I take with a pinch of salt) stating that Punk and Heyman have been given creative control over the current situation, and I hope those reports are more fact than fiction. SmackDown was incredibly watchable when Heyman was involved in the writing for it (2003/4 I believe), and Punk is a master of the mic (we all know this by now). It just seems like a great combination in my eyes.

The only thing about the CM Punk story that I had a problem with tonight was that final promo that Cena produced. Whilst it was good and kept me interested, Cena made a couple of statements which just screamed bull***t to me. The first one was that CM Punk is a “liar, hypocrite and conceited scumbag”. I can let this one go since it is simply Cena’s way of putting himself over as the fan favourite, but we all know it is a lie. Punk has practically changed the way I perceive the WWE product over the past year or so, which is exactly what he promised in his infamous promo – change.

Baring in mind that Cena said all of this after Punk claimed to be a better brawler than Stone Cold Steve Austin (even Punk doesn’t get away with that claim), Cena calling Punk’s near-300 day title reign irrelevant left me in disbelief. The main reason for this is the fact that Punk is yet to cheat in order to retain. And then you take into consideration the amount of incredible matches Punk has had defending the WWE Championship (SummerSlam was a flop due to the fact that Cena and Big Show are incapable of working well together in my opinion), and it just shows that Cena doesn’t really think about what he’s saying anymore.

With the events of tonight (Punk interrupting Bret Hart in Montreal and getting booed for the first time as WWE Champion, trying to walk out on Randy Orton, ditching Dolph Ziggler, and trying to attack Hart at the end of the night) you would think that I would finally see Punk as the heel between himself and Cena. But no; Cena is still clearly talking crap and trying to manipulate the fans with lies, whereas Punk is simply demanding what Cena has robbed him of the chance to gain for the last year whilst remaining honest with the fans.

Punk is still the face in this rivalry, in my eyes.

In other news…

Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston & R-Truth def. United States Champion Antonio Cesaro & Intercontinental Champion The Miz – It wasn’t a bad match, but I don’t quite understand how Cesaro can claim that the US title is prestigious given who’s waist it had been living on for the last six-plus months.

Sheamus’ deposition/Brogue Kick to David Otunga – Whilst the deposition segment was funny (thank you Sheamus), I don’t understand why Booker T didn’t actually strip Sheamus of the World Heavyweight Championship for breaking the rules. Another case of poor rule enforcement after AJ failed to fire Vickie Guerrero last week.

Eve, Divas Champion Layla & Kaitlin def. Alicia Fox, Natalya & Beth Phoenix – Whilst it is WWE’s effort to rectify the error made by Kaitlin and Eve in that battle royal I didn’t pay attention to a few weeks ago, it’s more interesting than most divas angles. The match might actually be good at Night of Champions if Eve replaces Kaitlin.

Daniel Bryan & Kane def. The Prime Time Players – So WWE realises they have a PPV coming up which focusses on the champions of the company, and Bryan and Kane are both title-less and without title feuds. This was just the same thing which caused Truth and Kofi to become champions. Stop wasting the Tag Team titles, WWE!

Ryback def. Heath Slater – I wish WWE would put Ryback into a real feud already. Also, did Ryback eat most of his shirt before coming out?

Alberto Del Rio def. Tyson Kidd – I’m all for Kidd getting a push, but what was the point in having him face Del Rio just to put more links to the Hart family on Raw this week?

Cody Rhodes def. Rey Mysterio – Rhodes’ attack to The Miz has me wanting a Triple Threat match at Night of Champions. Make it happen, WWE!

As you can gather, tonight was all about CM Punk in my eyes. Between himself and Cena, they made their match at Night of Champions relevant and the point clear after weeks of Punk carrying the angle himself (Cena has been seriously lacking in storytelling lately, anybody else notice that?). If for no other reason, I will be buying Night of Champions for that match and holding onto the hope that Punk retains and keeps the WWE Championship right up until TLC or Royal Rumble (given the relevance he has brought back to the WWE title, he deserves to smash as many records as title holder in my opinion).

I had a good feeling about Raw tonight, and had it not been for the unfortunate events involving Jerry Lawler it could have been a great show. On the plus side, I enjoyed it right up until then.

Until next Monday, follow me on Twitter (@SpringerAJ) and tweet me your views with #YYYTRR.

Thanks for reading.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    If Jerry Lawler doesn't fully pull through i will b sad every time Raw comes on.
    I dunno man, I just can`t buy into the punk-cena feud. His heel turn has turned him into a whiny cheap heat guy instead of a real heel like last year. It is just not working and frankly, I don`t care when they take this route. Cena has no business being in this feud. He always has to stick his nose in others businesses and save the day. We seen punk vs cena at mitb 2011, summerslam 2011, hell in a cell 2011, raw 1000, summerslam 2012. I really have no interest in watching supercena over some more fake odds and bury an uprising talent like punk. Moreso, that promo was full of holes so their sale pitch was not as effective as it seems.
    What should happen is punk should retain(since cena does not need it and punk does), lose at rr then win it back against the rock at wrestlemania 29. Quite frankly, cena does not need to hog the spotlight anymore. Its punk`s time. Nonetheless I am not buying night of champions due to both world title feuds being crap, random minor title matches, a crappy divas match and the only good match is kane & bryan vs kofi & r truth. Just my opinion though. It defiantly was a weird raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by #BITW
    His heel turn has turned him into a whiny cheap heat guy instead of a real heel like last year.
    I could not agree more with this statement. I am actually going off Punk because of how he is playing his character right now.
    The thing that bothered me with Cena's promo was how he kept saying during his rise to the top, he was still himself.

Cm Punk has had only three gimmicks in the WWE which was the good guy underdog, straight edge and Best in the World.

But Cena started off in traditional gear, then was a heel rapper, then a thug, then a marine gimmick and now the superhero gimmick. Know everything is a work but if anyone, its Cena who's changed over the years.

And this is coming from a Cena fan.

I just don't understand the logic in them booking him to cut a promo about always being yourself when he's had more gimmicks than anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by knox

But Cena started off in traditional gear, then was a heel rapper, then a thug, then a marine gimmick and now the superhero gimmick. Know everything is a work but if anyone, its Cena who's changed over the years.
    Gear=Gimmick?
    From what i read, you only named one gimmick, i thought he was both heel rapper and a thug. he was called Doctor of thuganamics when he had the rapping gimmick. Just because you guys see him as a super hero doesnt mean its his gimmick, just saying. lol
    He didn't say the belt was prestiges, he said he personified prestige.
    Gear=Gimmick?
    From what i read, you only named one gimmick, i thought he was both heel rapper and a thug. he was called Doctor of thuganamics when he had the rapping gimmick. Just because you guys see him as a super hero doesnt mean its his gimmick, just saying. lol
    No he didnt. The Doctor of Thuganomics, The Marine Gimmick, and yes, the Superhero thing is a gimmick, but it's not because we see him as a superhero, it's because they book him to look that way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.