View RSS Feed

Renevious

Renevious is Back...and He's Pissed

Rate this Entry
What's up guys? Renevious here again, back after a little bit of a hiatus from the blog scene. The truth is, aside from just being generally busy, I haven't really been inspired to write about any specific topic in a while. Maybe I just got a little complacent doing the WBC blogs and having Bearkg88 spoon feed me stuff to write about that I lost sight of my own stuff. Anyway, I'm back now, and there's something going on in WWE that has been eating at me for a while now. The Tag Team Titles.

Notice that I didn't say the tag team division. No, I'm here to discuss the actual titles. Now it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a pretty popular subject among the IWC is the state of the WWE tag team division. We read story after story about how Triple H is big on tag team wrestling and how he really wants to focus more on showcasing that aspect of the product. This we already know. And I have to admit that I think they are headed in the right direction. One big feather in the cap of this cause is the fact that there actually are tag teams that exist now. It wasn't that long ago that every single known tag team on the roster was just a random pairing of two singles wrestlers who were either A) not going anywhere on their own or B) just tagging with someone to fuel their own individual storyline. So it's safe to say that seeing teams like the Usos, Primo and Epico, Hunico and Camacho, Prime Time Players, etc. is actually a breath of fresh air. And for that I say, good job WWE.

But when you get to the actual tag title scene is where you WWE start pissing into the wind. First of all, I absolutely hate when they take two singles wrestlers who are very competent on their own and throw the tag titles on them for no good reason. Granted, this usually comes and goes within the course of a week or two, but it seems like that's what's been happening nonstop for the past several months that R-Truth and Kofi Kingston have held the belts. Now before all the R-Truth and Kofi fans start to bash me, let me preface all this by saying that I have nothing against either of those guys. In fact, I think they're are both really great talents. Maybe not world champion material, but they are both very solid upper mid carders. No, my gripe is actually with the creative team pulling the strings and thinking that the best thing for these guys and more so the entire tag team division is to have them strolling around with the belts for months on end and only defend it when at least 7 of the planets in the solar system align at once.

Having Kofi and Truth as the tag team champions is not only holding the tag division back, but it's also holding back the potential of each of the champions in their singles careers. How about we let them drop the belts to AN ACTUAL TAG TEAM? I honestly thought that for as long as the Prime Time Players' number 1 contender spot was built up that they would've won the titles for sure. And that would've been great. So many of the best tag team champions over the years have been heels. The Hart Foundation, Nikolai and Iron Sheik, Demolition, Owen and Yokozuna, New Age Outlaws, Dudleys, and so on. It's so much easier to cheat as a team than as an individual, so heel tag teams just do such a great job of generating crowd heat. It's natural. It works. Let's do it.

Now I'm not saying that the tag team champions have to be heels, and that's why it's not working. I'm just saying we most definitely need a change of pace to save Kofi and Truth's singles careers, and we absolutely need a change of pace in order for the tag division to be interesting at all. Taking that chance in addition to actually having tag team matches on television that are relevant to teams vying for the titles is all you really need to turn this ship around. It's not too late, WWE. Let's make tag team wrestling fun again. Let's make these titles mean something.

Thanks for reading. As always, I really appreciate you checking out my material. Until next time, God Bless...

Submit "Renevious is Back...and He's Pissed" to Digg Submit "Renevious is Back...and He's Pissed" to del.icio.us Submit "Renevious is Back...and He's Pissed" to StumbleUpon Submit "Renevious is Back...and He's Pissed" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

PTP without AW = shit.
    Couldnt agree more.

Speaking of Kofi i think its time for a heel turn also.
    First things first, glad to have you back Renevious.
    Me, I am a big Kofi fan, and I even want him to drop the tag team titles with R-Truth. So no harm done in saying that, atleast in my perspective. Their single careers are doing squat with them as a tag team. They do not even do much. Does WWE really want me to believe Kofi would be on the same side with R-Truth? I mean seriously.

Legit teams should and need the titles. Without a legit tag teams winning tag team belts against two single competitors who have been tag teaming for only a few months, it loses prestige. It would be like Jey Uso (a tag team competitor) beating Antonio Cesaro (a singles competitor for the US Title. It just does not make any logical sense.

Thanks for the blog.
    They need to have multiple storys going on involving tag teams. For example, you can have two teams feuding over the titles and two others feuding over a personal issue of some sort. This way we start to get to know these teams and we can invest in them. Same can be said about the divas title as well.

Couldnt agree more about Truth/Kofi or any other "overnight tag team" as i like to call 'em. Them being champs does nothing for anyone involved.
    Updated 09-04-2012 at 11:31 PM by ch.brooks24
    Great comments guys. I seriously love the feedback. This is why I do this.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.