View RSS Feed

Rob Stull

WWE's Best Rivalries in the PG Era.

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Hello all, Rob here again, and this time I'm going to be listing my opinionated top 5 list of the most personal rivalires, and storylines taking place in the PG Era. I cannot stress the "opinionated" part enough.

5. Punk Pipe-Bomb Heard Round The World
Everyone should remember this for years to come. Punk's shoot on the McMahons, John Cena, and The Rock catapaulted him into the main event of Money in the Bank, where he won the WWE Championship, and "left" for two weeks. This was my personal favorite rivalry between Punk & Cena in 2011, an I like what I see with their ressurected rivaly now.

4. The Legacy Systematically "Destroying" The McMahons
This rivalry was just plain AWESOME! It all had to do with Orton's obsession with the WWE Championship. McMahon was seconds away from firing Orton, and he "snapped", as he punted McMahon in the skull. He would then take out various members of the family (Shane & Stephanie). This match was extremely personal, and I loved everything about the buildup. Sadly, their match at WM25 was a dud.

3. Shawn or Triple H Can't Bury The Deadman
This is a two part (or three part) selection. From WM 25-28, both members of DX were intent on ending the uundefeated streak of The Undertaker. I loved all four promos to the matches, and all four matches were greatly executed. I would say that Triple H's/Takers WM28 match was the best, because of HBK thrown into the mix as the referee.

2. Rated R vs. SuperCena
These two had a very long rivalry, culminating at Unforgiven (I want to say 2006). Edge had defeated Cena at SummerSlam in Cena's hometown the previous ppv, and these two were set to square off one more time at Unforgiven, in Edge's hometown, in Edge's match: Tables, Ladders, & Chairs. While Cena eventually won the Title back, and ended the rivalry (meh), I always thought their rivalry was a gem.

1. Straight Edge Is Better Than Everyone Else
I couldn't think of a better title for this one, haha. But a few years back at Extreme Rules (2009?) Jeff Hardy finally won the World Heavyweight Championship against Edge in a Ladder Match. Minutes after, CM Punk would cash in his MITB contract that he had won at Mania. While this made him a tweener at the time, after Hardy won the title back at Night of Champions (correct me if I'm wrong), Punk's heel turn was inevitable. Punk would later critisize Hardy for being a drug addict, and that Punk was better than Hardy. The two would face off at SummerSlam 09 in a TLC Match, where Punk won the gold back, and eventually would win a Steel Cage Match, which resulted in Hardy's departure from the WWE. This is by far my favorite rivalry in the PG Era. These two had great in ring chemistry, and I loved the promos.

There you have it folks. My top 5 most personal rivalries of the PG Era in the WWE. As always, leave feedback, and as Mick Foley says, "Have A Nice Day."

Submit "WWE's Best Rivalries in the PG Era." to Digg Submit "WWE's Best Rivalries in the PG Era." to del.icio.us Submit "WWE's Best Rivalries in the PG Era." to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE's Best Rivalries in the PG Era." to Google

Comments

PG era started in like the summer of 2008.
    Jericho/HBK rivalry after the summer of 08 has probably been the best rivalry in the past 5 years.Definately would have considered Cena vs Nexus/Barrett. I didn't like some of the rivalries you liked such as Orton vs McMahons and Taker vs HBK or HHH. HBK vs Taker was intriguing first go round, but it started all the stupid rematches. I was like most when we heard HHH would face Taker again than again. Certainly Orton had some good promos leading up to WM25 that were memorable with him kissing Steph, kicking Vince's skull, and so forth. However HHH vs Orton again wasn't something I was intrigued to see at all. It lived up to the bill I thought it would.

Just give my opinion on 2 rivalries on your list I didn't like. Certainly hear reviews positive from their matches, but I like creating new memories at Mania. This is exactly why ppvs are like Wrestlemania and everything else. Just like Tiger in golf in his prime.

I'd have to think more about my tops.
    J
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    Jericho/HBK rivalry after the summer of 08 has probably been the best rivalry in the past 5 years.Definately would have considered Cena vs Nexus/Barrett. I didn't like some of the rivalries you liked such as Orton vs McMahons and Taker vs HBK or HHH. HBK vs Taker was intriguing first go round, but it started all the stupid rematches. I was like most when we heard HHH would face Taker again than again. Certainly Orton had some good promos leading up to WM25 that were memorable with him kissing Steph, kicking Vince's skull, and so forth. However HHH vs Orton again wasn't something I was intrigued to see at all. It lived up to the bill I thought it would.

Just give my opinion on 2 rivalries on your list I didn't like. Certainly hear reviews positive from their matches, but I like creating new memories at Mania. This is exactly why ppvs are like Wrestlemania and everything else. Just like Tiger in golf in his prime.

I'd have to think more about my tops.
    Damn, I completely forgot HBK/Jericho. Thanks for the.reminder!!!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.