View RSS Feed

ComingToCinemas

Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)

Rate this Entry
I don’t know about you guys, but my respect for CM Punk has increased.

It’s not just the fact that he once again communicated with the IWC, or that he made a match with Jerry ‘former King of Memphis, Tennessee’ Lawler look half decent (my favourite match of the night was John Cena vs. The Miz for those interested). It was also that he perked me up after what was an hour of boredom, and I watched it on Sky+ this afternoon (Tuesday afternoon, should it take more than a few hours for this blog to be available on www.ewrestlingnews.com). It was a decent cage match for Raw, and Punk’s actions afterwards were the first interesting thing Punk has done since his epic clothesline to The Rock on Raw 1000.

As I already mentioned, Cena vs. Miz was my match of the night. I looked at this week’s Raw with the failure of SummerSlam truly behind me and a fresh slate in place. I enjoyed the majority of it (I’m not overly sure why WWE are trying to make me interested in Santino’s hand wanting a piece of Aksana’s ‘pie’ though?), and the matches, for the most part, were actually good. I’m also intrigued by the Dolph Ziggler/Randy Orton idea being flirted with right now.

With that being said, let’s get the first blog I’ve written in a fully awake state off to a start.

#Respect

I was sceptical about CM Punk ignoring Cena for the night in favour of Jerry Lawler.

It’s not my dislike of Lawler (the man cannot commentate a match anymore and needs to be replaced by William Regal in my opinion), but the history King has in ruining otherwise great moments. The most recent example of this would be The Miz’s early run as WWE Champion. Miz had all the potential to be a great champion, but then he was thrown into a pointless rivalry with Lawler which did nothing but help Cole and King build to WrestleMania. From that point on, Miz’s run as champion was hard to take seriously (who could take a champion seriously when they ‘need’ Michael Cole’s help to retain against King in a TLC match?), and we all know how that ended…

But once again, CM Punk delivered on his claims as the Best in the World. Not in the sense that he wants respect for, but because he turned the otherwise pointless exercise of acknowledging Lawler into something progressive. Until now, Punk has been closer to a tweener than a heel. After his post-match assault of Lawler, it is clear he is the heel in this rivalry (at least to the WWE). To me Punk is still the face with rightful claims of due respect.

I just wish AJ hadn’t stepped in and made the Night of Champions title match before Cena could force it out of Punk. I mean, it’s not like we didn’t all know the match would happen.

WWE presents… Anger Management

Last week this idea seemed ridiculous to me, but thanks to some good acting on Bryan’s part and a random guy (he might be a former TNA star, but I haven’t done the research to confirm or deny that) labelled Harold, we got a few funny promos. From Bryan telling Harold that his work life is nothing compared to his own, to the random kid wearing a goat mask, it was all pretty funny. And then Kane stole the Oscar (if Oscars were given for average acting from athletes in two masks) when he listed everything he has done in his WWE career which qualifies him as a viable candidate for anger management (my personal favourite was when he told us that there is no real reason for his attacks on Pete Rose).

Outside of the skits, it seemed to affect both superstars in their matches. Bryan now has an obvious exploitable flaw (which I see as a positive in terms of long-term storyline development) and Kane has shown weakness by letting Zack Ryder (why does WWE insist on putting him on TV anymore? Even the kids have stopped caring...) free of a Chokeslam.

Does WWE not remember last time they had Kane show compassion? He became a face and once again irrelevant.

Game over?

Am I the only one left unsure on Triple H’s future even after that long-winded thank you to the WWE Universe?

I don’t know if it was that he never said he was done or not, but it didn’t seem as sincere as a WWE goodbye usually is. With Edge I was brought to tears, and that was because he was actually done with pro wrestling. With Triple H it isn’t like we aren’t going to occasionally see him even if he is done with in-ring competition.

It just left me with the uneasy feeling that we’re going to see another chapter of Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar, a story I care less about than Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey.

In other news…

Ryback def. Jack Swagger – It was news to me that Swagger’s last win on Raw was his US title win, and it almost had me caring that he had slipped so far as being yet another jobber for Ryback. Almost.

Layla def. Natalya – If you needed any more reason to expect WWE didn’t care about its divas division, Vickie Guerrero interrupting the match before it started to make an announcement nobody cares about was just as good. Maybe Vickie didn’t get the message that Raw is now three hours?

John Cena def. The Miz – This was a vast improvement on their WrestleMania match, and Miz’s aggression provided a great Snap DDT. It’s just an expected shame that Cena had to win in the same manner he beats everyone else. Stupid Five Moves of Doom…

Santino Marella def. Heath Slater – I like Santino and Slater, but this match was never going to be great. Also, why do WWE think we’ll believe that Santino’s hand wants to explore Aksana’s ‘pie’? Hang on, my mistake…

Brodus Clay & Sin Cara def. Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow – This match had so much potential if only Brodus hadn’t been involved. Also, it’s a shame that Rey Mysterio is concussed because a rivalry or partnership between himself and Sin Cara could be gold.

Sheamus & Randy Orton def. Dolph Ziggler & Alberto Del Rio – Another good match, just do NOT drop the ball with what looks like an Orton vs. Ziggler feud, WWE.

I said I was approaching this week’s Raw with a fresh slate, and that’s exactly what I did. The fact that most matches this week were no more than two minutes long should hinder the product given it is a three hour show now (2 hours 20 minutes excluding breaks, thank you Sky+), but I think WWE did well to remove SummerSlam from my memory this week.

Other than being a little peeved that AJ threw a potentially great Cena/Punk promo out the window by announcing Punk vs., wait for it… (it’s unnecessary I know, but AJ seems to think it adds suspense when you pause before pointing out the obvious) Cena, I was reasonably pleased with Lawler taking a kicking and Miz getting a chance to show his worth against Cena.

For more of my views tweet me (@SpringerAJ) with #YYYTRR.

P.s. If I decided to do a similar, less involved, blog on SmackDown would people read it? Tweet me if you would.

Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Digg Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to del.icio.us Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Yes! Yes! Yes! The Raw Review (#YYYTRR)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Actually I would love it if you did a Smackdown blog as well. I really enjoy reading your blog. I've been trying to start my own but I just don't have the time. Once again top notch!
    The thing that bugged me most about raw was the the raw active match for the punk vs lawler match... i knew it was going to be the cage already. but how would they have known that far ahead to have got a cage ready... that basically shows the raw active is alot of bollocks. shows that wwe doesnt actually use the fans in the slighest
    Quote Originally Posted by Azagthoth
    The thing that bugged me most about raw was the the raw active match for the punk vs lawler match... i knew it was going to be the cage already. but how would they have known that far ahead to have got a cage ready... that basically shows the raw active is alot of bollocks. shows that wwe doesnt actually use the fans in the slighest
    It could have been there for a just-in-case scenario. They'd be screwed if it had been voted for and they didn't have the cage at hand lol. Either way, I enjoyed the match so I'm not complaining.
    I don't know, I have to disagree about Punk gaining anything from his fight with Lawler. The guy's a 60-something year-old retired commentator, leave that sort of match to Heath Slater, not the BITW.

As far as that episode of Raw went, I personally thought it was the poorest offering in some time. Overall a low caliber of matches (the only one that made me perk up was Sheamus/ Orton v Ziggles/ DelRio) and it was the first time that I actually ever looked forward to a Cena match more than a Punk match (but that was mostly down to the Miz). The feeling was not a good one and almost drove me to cancel my Sky Sports subscription and go strictly to TNA.

I do agree that Kane was the absolute highlight of the Anger Management vignettes but was unimpressed with them up until that point. I love Daniel Bryan's comedic timing normally but found the other "episodes" a bit forced and thought that Kane saved the entire thing single-handed.

Right just my 2p's worth. Feel free to reply/ mock/ argue!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Steele
    I don't know, I have to disagree about Punk gaining anything from his fight with Lawler. The guy's a 60-something year-old retired commentator, leave that sort of match to Heath Slater, not the BITW.

As far as that episode of Raw went, I personally thought it was the poorest offering in some time. Overall a low caliber of matches (the only one that made me perk up was Sheamus/ Orton v Ziggles/ DelRio) and it was the first time that I actually ever looked forward to a Cena match more than a Punk match (but that was mostly down to the Miz). The feeling was not a good one and almost drove me to cancel my Sky Sports subscription and go strictly to TNA.

I do agree that Kane was the absolute highlight of the Anger Management vignettes but was unimpressed with them up until that point. I love Daniel Bryan's comedic timing normally but found the other "episodes" a bit forced and thought that Kane saved the entire thing single-handed.

Right just my 2p's worth. Feel free to reply/ mock/ argue!
    I don't think it was a good thing that Punk had to spend a whole week focussed on Lawler - I generally think that Lawler is left away from even the announce table now given all the mistakes he makes and how one-dimensional he has become.

What it did, I feel, is make it clearer that Punk is supposed to be the heel in this rivalry with Cena. I don't think Cena realises that most of what he says to Punk in terms of having to beat him in Boston (and his ill-advised statement of "let's see who the real Best in the World is!" when he announced his MitB cash in) is complete crap and comes across as Cena boosting his own ego. Punk has already beaten him twice on PPV in the past year, and Cena is just floating around without anything worthwhile to do nowadays.

For me, the main reason I had to watch Raw this week was to see what WWE is doing with the D Bryan anger management thing lol.

It sounds bad considering I review Raw every week, but even I have to admit that TNA is producing a better show right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ComingToCinemas
    What it did, I feel, is make it clearer that Punk is supposed to be the heel in this rivalry with Cena. I don't think Cena realises that most of what he says to Punk in terms of having to beat him in Boston (and his ill-advised statement of "let's see who the real Best in the World is!" when he announced his MitB cash in) is complete crap and comes across as Cena boosting his own ego. Punk has already beaten him twice on PPV in the past year, and Cena is just floating around without anything worthwhile to do nowadays.
    That was the part of last week's promo that bothered me the most. The mark in me was screaming at Punk to just say "I don't have to make you my #1 contender at NOC to prove myself, Cena. I've beaten you twice already!" But he had to just stand there and take John's big self-aggrandising speech in order to forward the storyline. Yay for Cena, boo for us, bully for Punk.
    It would be great if Punk told Cena to put up his main event status to get a shot at the belt. That way instead of tapping his wrist when he goes on he could walk by Cena and tap his wrist as an indication of who was the main event.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.