The Splash: One More Match?
by, 08-26-2012 at 03:44 PM (4840 Views)
Hey Splashers, Iâ€™ve been gone for awhile taking care of some things, but now Iâ€™m back, and I got plenty on my mind! Iâ€™m gonna start right off by ripping into the WWE and their ongoing nostalgia kick.
The WWE has been big on bringing back names like The Rock, and Brock Lesnar to win high profiled PPV matches, and donâ€™t appear to show any sign of stopping.
We already know The Rock plans to win the WWE Title at the Royal Rumble. If the WWE does in fact give him that win, he will also highlight WrestleMania 29. That means he will have highlighted 4 major PPVâ€™s and he will only wrestled 5 matches in 8 years.
Brock Lesnar who recently returned has been wrestling more frequently, however he still primarily only appears in high profile shows, and wrestles at big time PPVâ€™s . There has rumors going around that Lesnar could be facing The Undertaker at WrestleMania 29. Iâ€™m not sure how solid this is, but if it turns out to be true, I will be sorely disappointed. The Dead man just isnâ€™t who he used to be, and defeating a man like Brock Lesnar is just not believable to me. Furthermore I do not think Lesnar is worthy of that accolade. Iâ€™ve said it several times before; the WWE should have a younger star defeat the Undertaker, in order to elevate his career.
I read an Article on WWE.com where they had a top 15 people they would like to see have â€œOne More Matchâ€. Knowing the WWE, they were probably fishing for their next legend to bring back. Some of the people in the list have already been circling in the rumor mill. let's take a look at the list.
15. Scott Steiner - Steiner was great, back in his hey-day when he was with the nWo. However his run with the Main Event Mafia in TNA only proved to me that his time was up.
14. Honky Tonk Man â€“ I have Just one question: WHY? This is a wrestler who has not been significant since the late 80â€™s! Now the WWE thinks he can come back 20+ years and put on a match, and expect us to be entertained? Well maybe if he wrestled against Heath Slaterâ€¦.NOT!
13. Michelle McCool â€“ McCool is the first of very few that could make a legit return, if she wanted to and have a successful career. However if she did make a return, I see McCool more of a one-nighter.
12. Steve Blackman â€“ One of the bigger failures of the Attitude Era. Blackman had the look, even had some skill in the ring (some mind you), but his mic skills were just shit. I havenâ€™t missed Blackman since he left the WWE, and I have little desire to see him make a return!
11. JBL â€“ I think JBL has something to offer the wrestling industry, but not in the ring. He could come back and certainly entrain the fans, in some other form, but NOT as a wrestler!
10. Mick Foley â€“ Mick Foley has done more than his share of his â€œone last matchesâ€. Letâ€™s call a spade a spade. The WWE only has Foley on this list because they donâ€™t want to accept that his last match was in TNA, and NOT in the WWE.
09. Edge â€“ I loved Edge, and he will go down in history as one of the best. However the manâ€™s career is over, this was just filler by the WWE and nothing more.
08. Shane McMahon â€“ I have to admit Shane is one man I personally would like to see in the ring again. Despite the fact he only wrestled a handful of matches, â€œShane-O-Macâ€ performed in the ring like a seasoned veteran.
07. Goldberg â€“ I was never a fan of Goldberg at all. He was nothing but hype, and had only 3 wrestling moves. Sure he helped WCW with the ratings for a short time, but the man clearly never had any passion for the business.
06. Trish Stratus â€“ Trish Stratus is another superstar that could possibly make a return. She was one of the best Divas in her time. As for her â€œone last matchâ€, she did have one at WrestleMania 25.
05. Shawn Michaels â€“ HBK has done it all in the WWE, but I would never want to see him back in the ring to wrestle, because I know he could not perform like the â€œShowstopperâ€ that made him famous.
04. Bret Hart â€“ When Bret Hart returned to the WWE, after he finally buried the hatchet with Vince McMahon, I knew that would be the perfect exit for him.
03. Batista â€“ I liked Batista. He may not have had the best mic skills, but he knew how to work the crowd, and I always enjoyed his matches. I honestly canâ€™t see Batista as a successful MMA fighter. The man is 43, and thatâ€™s a time where most men retire from MMA. As far as wrestling, he could have one more small run if he played his cards right. However I donâ€™t see him winning any major titles if he did.
02. Ultimate Warrior â€“ Several of my good friends, like The Wrestle Gamer: Double B on youtube.com (plug) refer to The Warrior as â€œThe Ultimate Douche-Bagâ€. If you donâ€™t know why, watch the documentary on the Douche-Bag in question. If that isnâ€™t enough for you, watch some of Warriorâ€™s blogs on youtube.
I admit I used to be a huge fan of him when I was a kid, but when I saw the man behind the paint, I realized he was no better than Goldberg, and heâ€˜s one man that just will not be missed by me.
01. Stone Cold Steve Austin â€“ When Austin was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011, Fans were screaming for â€œone more match!â€ As much as I loved Austin, I am glad he has not returned. Like many of the names mentioned above, he has my utmost respect, but I donâ€™t feel he has anything left to prove in the squared circle. Yet there have been some rumblings about Austin returning to fight CM Punk at WrestleMania 29. How true this is, remains to be seenâ€¦
I donâ€™t know if the WWEâ€™s article was just for fantasy, or if they were pushing for some names to return. Either way, you can be sure they were stirring the pot in hopes for a big money maker. The WWE needs to start getting behind the younger athletes. They are the ones that will bring the company into the next decade, not the Superstars of yesterday who will only show up for one more chance to stand in the spotlight.
Well thatâ€™s it for this one. As always, please feel free to share your thoughts. Iâ€™ll do my best to respond to all of them. Until next time Splashers..See you when I see you -Rick Starr