View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

The Splash: One More Match?

Rate this Entry

Hey Splashers, I’ve been gone for awhile taking care of some things, but now I’m back, and I got plenty on my mind! I’m gonna start right off by ripping into the WWE and their ongoing nostalgia kick.

The WWE has been big on bringing back names like The Rock, and Brock Lesnar to win high profiled PPV matches, and don’t appear to show any sign of stopping.

We already know The Rock plans to win the WWE Title at the Royal Rumble. If the WWE does in fact give him that win, he will also highlight WrestleMania 29. That means he will have highlighted 4 major PPV’s and he will only wrestled 5 matches in 8 years.

Brock Lesnar who recently returned has been wrestling more frequently, however he still primarily only appears in high profile shows, and wrestles at big time PPV’s . There has rumors going around that Lesnar could be facing The Undertaker at WrestleMania 29. I’m not sure how solid this is, but if it turns out to be true, I will be sorely disappointed. The Dead man just isn’t who he used to be, and defeating a man like Brock Lesnar is just not believable to me. Furthermore I do not think Lesnar is worthy of that accolade. I’ve said it several times before; the WWE should have a younger star defeat the Undertaker, in order to elevate his career.

I read an Article on WWE.com where they had a top 15 people they would like to see have “One More Match”. Knowing the WWE, they were probably fishing for their next legend to bring back. Some of the people in the list have already been circling in the rumor mill. let's take a look at the list.

15. Scott Steiner - Steiner was great, back in his hey-day when he was with the nWo. However his run with the Main Event Mafia in TNA only proved to me that his time was up.

14. Honky Tonk Man – I have Just one question: WHY? This is a wrestler who has not been significant since the late 80’s! Now the WWE thinks he can come back 20+ years and put on a match, and expect us to be entertained? Well maybe if he wrestled against Heath Slater….NOT!

13. Michelle McCool – McCool is the first of very few that could make a legit return, if she wanted to and have a successful career. However if she did make a return, I see McCool more of a one-nighter.

12. Steve Blackman – One of the bigger failures of the Attitude Era. Blackman had the look, even had some skill in the ring (some mind you), but his mic skills were just shit. I haven’t missed Blackman since he left the WWE, and I have little desire to see him make a return!

11. JBL – I think JBL has something to offer the wrestling industry, but not in the ring. He could come back and certainly entrain the fans, in some other form, but NOT as a wrestler!

10. Mick Foley – Mick Foley has done more than his share of his “one last matches”. Let’s call a spade a spade. The WWE only has Foley on this list because they don’t want to accept that his last match was in TNA, and NOT in the WWE.

09. Edge – I loved Edge, and he will go down in history as one of the best. However the man’s career is over, this was just filler by the WWE and nothing more.

08. Shane McMahon – I have to admit Shane is one man I personally would like to see in the ring again. Despite the fact he only wrestled a handful of matches, “Shane-O-Mac” performed in the ring like a seasoned veteran.

07. Goldberg – I was never a fan of Goldberg at all. He was nothing but hype, and had only 3 wrestling moves. Sure he helped WCW with the ratings for a short time, but the man clearly never had any passion for the business.

06. Trish Stratus – Trish Stratus is another superstar that could possibly make a return. She was one of the best Divas in her time. As for her “one last match”, she did have one at WrestleMania 25.

05. Shawn Michaels – HBK has done it all in the WWE, but I would never want to see him back in the ring to wrestle, because I know he could not perform like the “Showstopper” that made him famous.

04. Bret Hart – When Bret Hart returned to the WWE, after he finally buried the hatchet with Vince McMahon, I knew that would be the perfect exit for him.

03. Batista – I liked Batista. He may not have had the best mic skills, but he knew how to work the crowd, and I always enjoyed his matches. I honestly can’t see Batista as a successful MMA fighter. The man is 43, and that’s a time where most men retire from MMA. As far as wrestling, he could have one more small run if he played his cards right. However I don’t see him winning any major titles if he did.

02. Ultimate Warrior – Several of my good friends, like The Wrestle Gamer: Double B on youtube.com (plug) refer to The Warrior as “The Ultimate Douche-Bag”. If you don’t know why, watch the documentary on the Douche-Bag in question. If that isn’t enough for you, watch some of Warrior’s blogs on youtube.

I admit I used to be a huge fan of him when I was a kid, but when I saw the man behind the paint, I realized he was no better than Goldberg, and he‘s one man that just will not be missed by me.

01. Stone Cold Steve Austin – When Austin was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2011, Fans were screaming for “one more match!” As much as I loved Austin, I am glad he has not returned. Like many of the names mentioned above, he has my utmost respect, but I don’t feel he has anything left to prove in the squared circle. Yet there have been some rumblings about Austin returning to fight CM Punk at WrestleMania 29. How true this is, remains to be seen…

Final thoughts:
I don’t know if the WWE’s article was just for fantasy, or if they were pushing for some names to return. Either way, you can be sure they were stirring the pot in hopes for a big money maker. The WWE needs to start getting behind the younger athletes. They are the ones that will bring the company into the next decade, not the Superstars of yesterday who will only show up for one more chance to stand in the spotlight.

Well that’s it for this one. As always, please feel free to share your thoughts. I’ll do my best to respond to all of them. Until next time Splashers..See you when I see you -Rick Starr

Submit "The Splash: One More Match?" to Digg Submit "The Splash: One More Match?" to del.icio.us Submit "The Splash: One More Match?" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Splash: One More Match?" to Google

Updated 08-26-2012 at 09:57 PM by Rick Starr

Tags: tna, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by akbar
    All hail, he's back.
    Thanks Akbar!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Socal_Guy
    Not to be rude here and I agree sort of about your statment. But nothing in WWE is believable it's entertainment. Just like Brock breaking HHH arm at SS yet HHH got up and was able to walk back and looked fine.
    You have a solid point there the HHH/ Lesnar match was just terrible. Then again I always thought "The Brock Lock" was one of the poorly looking moves Ive seen in the WWE to begin with. I'm hoping the aftermath will be far more entertaining than the actuall match.
    It would been better if you listed who you'd like that wrestler who was listed to face.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatOne
    It would been better if you listed who you'd like that wrestler who was listed to face.
    You're right on the money there Great One. It was an angle I have considered, however this blog was focusing on the 15 names the WWE wanted to bring back. I'm sure you know making blogs too long, can kill a reader's interest.
    Good returning blog and glad to see you are back. For Batista, in all honest truth I do see him not winning any major titles if he returned, but I would want him too. MMA does make him seem more legit though although I do not think he will have a long run their.

Batista is one of my favorites, but one thing he has not legitamently done is push a superstar. I want to see him leave a winner, but still allow some uprising superstar to get pushed in the process.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.