View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?

Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average.
I always heard people say things like "Chris Jericho is the best all around wrestler in history" or "Chris Jericho is one of the greatest of all time" Even things like "Chris Jericho is one of the greatest in ring performers in wrestling" then people call him best in the world and so on. People act like Jericho can do no wrong. I just don't see where this Chris Jericho cant do wrong, greatest ever mentality is coming from.

I think Jericho is a great performer and he can be good on the mic. but he is hit and miss in the ring and also on the mic. I love some of Jerichos matches with Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, HHH, HBK and The Rock but Chris Jericho has also dropped the ball on some pretty big matches that I was excited for. Such as HHH at Wrestlemania 18, Randy Orton on his return, Edge Wrestlemania 25, The whole entire feud with CM Punk from a match stand point, Steve Austin at NWO 2002. The list goes on.

Chris Jericho in my opinion has never wrestled a 5 star match in his long career. Without a doubt for me Chris Jericho's best match was Chris Benoit Ladder match at RR for the IC title and that match falls short from 5 stars, so does his Falls count anywhere classic that he and HHH had and his street Fight with HBK clocks in to about 4 1/4 to me.... Chris Jericho was always considered the more charismatic of the Vanilla midgets (Nash coined that phrase for Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Jericho and Dean Malenko) but he was also considered the least of all of them when it came to in ring ability. Chris is a Great performer but he is also hit and miss, Not a guy that can carry people to Great matches and sometimes he can be very sloppy in the ring which he has fixed some what in the last 5 years.

Chris Jericho to me always had trouble switching from a Excellent up and coming mid card act to a main eventer. he was gold in WCW on the mic but that character can only take you so far when it comes to Top level main event. Jericho had alot of trouble switching his character to match the main event level.... Also Jericho's move set has always in my mind kept him from having that top guy main event feel. Before Jerichos return and character tweak in 2007 Jerichos move set consisted of a Drop kick off the top, running Bulldog face plant and his finishing move was called a lionsault which I think is one of the worst looking finishing moves I ever seen, Even if its performed well it isnt a dominate looking finishing move. I mean can you picture Steve Austin, Randy Orton, HHH, CM Punk, The Rock, John Cena, Kane, Undertaker or any of the wrestlers in the main event around Jerichos time getting pinned by the Lionsault? I dont think he should even get a 1 count with that finisher. Now can you picture any of these men submitting to a Boston Crap? me either.... I was happy when Jericho became more serious and added the code breaker in his arsenal. The Code Breaker seemed like a legit finisher opposed to his others.

I think Chris Jericho is a Great performer but to consider him the Greatest or even in the top 5 wouldn't make much sense for me. Chris Jericho isnt on par with a Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Kurt Angle HHH and Steve Austin when it comes the great matches and in ring performance.... Jericho when it comes to mic work is far behind Steve Austin, Mick Foley, The Rock, Rowdy Piper and Randy Savage. Theres more just cant think of them right now.

Chris Jericho is a great wrestler and can do some great things on the mic and in that ring at times but most of the time he is just good or mediocre. but he is not the greatest by any means or close to it.

Submit "Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?" to Digg Submit "Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?" to del.icio.us Submit "Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenEffect
    Chris Jericho is one of the best wrestlers of all time because he's got the total package. His phenomenal in-ring ability combines Japanese and Mexican styles along with the ever-so-important WWE style of storytelling.

His mic work is spectacular: he's well versed in comedy, is an amazing heel, has the second-most catchphrases next to The Rock, and most importantly, he's got great improv skills.

And finally, he's got the IT factor. He's entertaining in everything he does. He's got the same passion for the business that all the greats have and had. In his 2012 he turned the crowd 100% without uttering a single word. How many guys can do that?

Finally, Jericho is one of the best of all time because of the things he's been doing in his older age. He came back to work with Punk and man, did they deliver. He just finished up with Ziggler and he put him over big time. Oh, and he pulled out a fucking Frankensteiner at Summerslam and a sort of leg-hook Frankensteiner the next night on Raw. Jericho is in his forties now and I haven't seen him do that move in ten years. It takes balls and a burning desire to really get Ziggler over to pull out a very dangerous move (One that very nearly killed him) like that just to make Ziggler look good and show that the Ayatollah of Rock n' Rolla has still got it.

Jericho is easily one of the top ten best wrestlers of all time. Easily.
    Please the whole not talking thing was just dumb and the whole this guy copied me and this guy copied me storyline was dumb also....... Anyone can turn a crowd around by sitting there for 3 weeks 10 mins each week without saying a word.

Bret Hart and Curt henning both turned in the middle of their matches (Bret Against Steve and Curt against Nick Bochwinkle), Now that is fantasic work. Jerichos not talking this was stupid.

Jerichos matches with Ziggler wasnt anything special. Cena, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk had better matches with Ziggler of you ask me.... Steiner at 50 years old and being crippled and being close to 300 pound of mucsle did a freankensteiner off the top, That doesnt make him the Greatest.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    I think Jericho is a great talent, So please dont think that im just a guy that hates Chris Jericho I'm a huge fan of his. I love his books, I love some of the matches he has been in, I love some of the fueds he has been in and I think Jericho is a level headed guy but I'm just wondering where this IWC Jericho is the best ever thing is coming from.

If you look at Jerichos debut, Besides the awesome booking, The timing, The lights and the pryo and you just look at Jerichos promo it was pretty poor, It was actually pretty bad, The crowd went nuts for Jericho but once he start talking they were dead, Thank God the Rock saved it.... What im trying to say, Jericho is a great talent but not the best or in the top 5 even.

as for putting people over, How can someone get the rub from another wrestler if he is always jobbing? if he jobs to Kofi, JTG, CM Punk, Randy Orton and Sheamuse then how can him losing give Dolph Ziggler that main event rub.... You have to build your self up and then job to make someone look good or give them the rub....... How would it look if The Rock Jobbed to R Trtuh, The Miz, Kane, HHH and CM Punk in 1 calender year and then lose to John Cena at Wrestlemania? Would that look like a great pass the torch moment or a big victory for Cena? noo it loses so much of its prestidge.
    As my name may suggest, Jericho is my favourite of all time. But at the same time I am under no illusion that he is the best ever! To me personally, Ric Flair is the best ever. I just think it is unfair for him not to be considered in the same bracket as people like Bret Hart, Mick Foley etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    You make some interesting points. But I also would like your opinion on something else, to go with this argument.

Let me start by saying, I agree with you from the point where I never considered Jericho to the be the be all end all of wreslting performers. I think he is inflated just a bit because of the lack of talent that exists in WWE today. But the otherside of the coin I'd like to hear from you is, if you feel this way about Jericho, then name me a few others who claim to be "Best in the World" that actually live up to it. If the Jericho/HBK street fight or the Jericho/Benoit ladder matches weren't 5 star matches, give me some examples of what were 5 star matches to you.

On another note, I'd like to agree with ewantu2, who mentioned his matches with Punk being the best of this year. While that may be true. That just doesn't say a whole lot about the WWE, since those matches were pretty good, but nothing I would call memorable. When i think of Jericho's best matches, his feud with Punk doesn't even scrape the surface.
    Well honestly unlike CM Punk in real life Jericho dont consider himself the best in the world he is a modest guy. I'm more going with how the IWC thinks everything he does is the greatest ever even if its utter crap and when things fail they always seem to blame the other guy. Like the whole Ziggler thing, People say Jericho made Ziggler a star but honestly I dont think that job did much for Ziggler.

Some 5 Star matches hmm
    In no order

Bret Hart vs Owen Hart WM10

Shawn Michaels vs Mankind IYH Mind Games

Steve Austin vs Rock WM 17

Rock vs HHH Ironman match

Bret Hart vs Steve Austin WM13 and SS 1996

Rey Mystrio vs Eddie Guerrero HH 97

Steve Austin vs HHH 3 stages of Hell NWO

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit Royal Rumble 2003

Chris Benoit vs HHH vs HBK WM20

HHH vs Mick Foley RR 2000

Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat Clash 2/3 falls 1989

Bret Hart vs Davey Boy SS 92

Bret Hart vs HBK WM12

those are some matches I didnt mention them all.

All around Wrestlers are Steve Austin, HBK, The Rock, Randy Savage and Ric Flair. My mind is not thinking straight to think of all the best all around wrestlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerichoholic_92
    As my name may suggest, Jericho is my favourite of all time. But at the same time I am under no illusion that he is the best ever! To me personally, Ric Flair is the best ever. I just think it is unfair for him not to be considered in the same bracket as people like Bret Hart, Mick Foley etc.
    In all fairness I said Jericho is not in the league of Bret Hart when it comes to classic matches and in ring performance, Not many are.

and I also Believe Mick Foley is in the top 3 best promo men in wrestling history. Look at his fantastic Anti Hardcore promo from ECW. So no I don't think he is in Foleys league when it comes to promos then again not many are.

The IWC gives John Cena alot of shit calling him the worst wrestler ever. I'm not a huge Cena fan but that is being overly dramatic. Then the IWC calls Jericho the best in ring performer in wrestling and maybe even ever. but lets put their work side by side and see the huge difference.

HBK: Jericho and Cena both had battles with HBK but to be honest I would say that Cenas battles with HBK was on par or even better than the classic matches Jericho had with him.

JBL: Cena and Jericho both had feuds with JBL. Jericho and JBL had watchable matches at best but to be honest John Cenas I Quit match with JBL blew Jerichos out of the water.

EDGE: Jericho and Cena both had a series of matches with Edge but by far Cenas work with Edge was much much better than Jerichos.

CM Punk : Everytime Cena and Punk step in the ring its magic. Jericho had a good outing at WM with Punk but it fell far below expectations. Cena Defiantly has the edge here in his matches with Punk.

see what im getting at here? Jericho I think is a better more enjoyable performer than Cena but their isnt a drastic difference in match quality.
    lol cena sucks man dont go there, hes never had any 5 star matches. boring ass promos, boring ass feuds boring stale gimmick, boring same sequence matches
    Been thinking about this blog for a bit and I wonder if you might be mistaking how the IWC looks at Jericho in a way. Personally, I don't think Jericho is the best wrestler in the world/ever, but I think Jericho is one of the best workers in the world.
    Whether he wins or loses, he always entertains the crowd and while his matches may not always be classics, he does bring out the best in whomever he's wrestling.
    I think that's why the IWC loves Jericho so much. He might not produce 5 star matches every time, but can you think of any real bad Jericho matches either?
    And while him jobbing to someone might not push that person to great new heights, that person still comes out looking better when they're facing Jericho then someone of less talent.
    Jericho also has a lot of credibility as well with the IWC. He's always supportive of new talent and when he's working for WWE, he's working. He's at the events, he's doing the matches and whatnot. When he steps away, he steps away completely and then comes back when need be to help other talent become even better.
    That in my view makes Jericho one of the best, by giving back to the company to make sure the future talent is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    In all fairness I said Jericho is not in the league of Bret Hart when it comes to classic matches and in ring performance, Not many are.

and I also Believe Mick Foley is in the top 3 best promo men in wrestling history. Look at his fantastic Anti Hardcore promo from ECW. So no I don't think he is in Foleys league when it comes to promos then again not many are.

The IWC gives John Cena alot of shit calling him the worst wrestler ever. I'm not a huge Cena fan but that is being overly dramatic. Then the IWC calls Jericho the best in ring performer in wrestling and maybe even ever. but lets put their work side by side and see the huge difference.

HBK: Jericho and Cena both had battles with HBK but to be honest I would say that Cenas battles with HBK was on par or even better than the classic matches Jericho had with him.

JBL: Cena and Jericho both had feuds with JBL. Jericho and JBL had watchable matches at best but to be honest John Cenas I Quit match with JBL blew Jerichos out of the water.

EDGE: Jericho and Cena both had a series of matches with Edge but by far Cenas work with Edge was much much better than Jerichos.

CM Punk : Everytime Cena and Punk step in the ring its magic. Jericho had a good outing at WM with Punk but it fell far below expectations. Cena Defiantly has the edge here in his matches with Punk.

see what im getting at here? Jericho I think is a better more enjoyable performer than Cena but their isnt a drastic difference in match quality.
    It takes alot more than having a good promo or having a so called "5 star" match to be considered one of the best. Consistency and longevity are key.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.