View RSS Feed

THE_CRIPPLER

Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?

Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average.
I always heard people say things like "Chris Jericho is the best all around wrestler in history" or "Chris Jericho is one of the greatest of all time" Even things like "Chris Jericho is one of the greatest in ring performers in wrestling" then people call him best in the world and so on. People act like Jericho can do no wrong. I just don't see where this Chris Jericho cant do wrong, greatest ever mentality is coming from.

I think Jericho is a great performer and he can be good on the mic. but he is hit and miss in the ring and also on the mic. I love some of Jerichos matches with Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, HHH, HBK and The Rock but Chris Jericho has also dropped the ball on some pretty big matches that I was excited for. Such as HHH at Wrestlemania 18, Randy Orton on his return, Edge Wrestlemania 25, The whole entire feud with CM Punk from a match stand point, Steve Austin at NWO 2002. The list goes on.

Chris Jericho in my opinion has never wrestled a 5 star match in his long career. Without a doubt for me Chris Jericho's best match was Chris Benoit Ladder match at RR for the IC title and that match falls short from 5 stars, so does his Falls count anywhere classic that he and HHH had and his street Fight with HBK clocks in to about 4 1/4 to me.... Chris Jericho was always considered the more charismatic of the Vanilla midgets (Nash coined that phrase for Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Jericho and Dean Malenko) but he was also considered the least of all of them when it came to in ring ability. Chris is a Great performer but he is also hit and miss, Not a guy that can carry people to Great matches and sometimes he can be very sloppy in the ring which he has fixed some what in the last 5 years.

Chris Jericho to me always had trouble switching from a Excellent up and coming mid card act to a main eventer. he was gold in WCW on the mic but that character can only take you so far when it comes to Top level main event. Jericho had alot of trouble switching his character to match the main event level.... Also Jericho's move set has always in my mind kept him from having that top guy main event feel. Before Jerichos return and character tweak in 2007 Jerichos move set consisted of a Drop kick off the top, running Bulldog face plant and his finishing move was called a lionsault which I think is one of the worst looking finishing moves I ever seen, Even if its performed well it isnt a dominate looking finishing move. I mean can you picture Steve Austin, Randy Orton, HHH, CM Punk, The Rock, John Cena, Kane, Undertaker or any of the wrestlers in the main event around Jerichos time getting pinned by the Lionsault? I dont think he should even get a 1 count with that finisher. Now can you picture any of these men submitting to a Boston Crap? me either.... I was happy when Jericho became more serious and added the code breaker in his arsenal. The Code Breaker seemed like a legit finisher opposed to his others.

I think Chris Jericho is a Great performer but to consider him the Greatest or even in the top 5 wouldn't make much sense for me. Chris Jericho isnt on par with a Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Kurt Angle HHH and Steve Austin when it comes the great matches and in ring performance.... Jericho when it comes to mic work is far behind Steve Austin, Mick Foley, The Rock, Rowdy Piper and Randy Savage. Theres more just cant think of them right now.

Chris Jericho is a great wrestler and can do some great things on the mic and in that ring at times but most of the time he is just good or mediocre. but he is not the greatest by any means or close to it.

Submit "Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?" to Digg Submit "Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?" to del.icio.us Submit "Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why Is Chris Jericho The Best?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by dashkatae
    Been thinking about this blog for a bit and I wonder if you might be mistaking how the IWC looks at Jericho in a way. Personally, I don't think Jericho is the best wrestler in the world/ever, but I think Jericho is one of the best workers in the world.
    Whether he wins or loses, he always entertains the crowd and while his matches may not always be classics, he does bring out the best in whomever he's wrestling.
    I think that's why the IWC loves Jericho so much. He might not produce 5 star matches every time, but can you think of any real bad Jericho matches either?
    And while him jobbing to someone might not push that person to great new heights, that person still comes out looking better when they're facing Jericho then someone of less talent.
    Jericho also has a lot of credibility as well with the IWC. He's always supportive of new talent and when he's working for WWE, he's working. He's at the events, he's doing the matches and whatnot. When he steps away, he steps away completely and then comes back when need be to help other talent become even better.
    That in my view makes Jericho one of the best, by giving back to the company to make sure the future talent is better.

I agree with you 100% man.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    Please the whole not talking thing was just dumb and the whole this guy copied me and this guy copied me storyline was dumb also....... Anyone can turn a crowd around by sitting there for 3 weeks 10 mins each week without saying a word.

Bret Hart and Curt henning both turned in the middle of their matches (Bret Against Steve and Curt against Nick Bochwinkle), Now that is fantasic work. Jerichos not talking this was stupid.

Jerichos matches with Ziggler wasnt anything special. Cena, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk had better matches with Ziggler of you ask me.... Steiner at 50 years old and being crippled and being close to 300 pound of mucsle did a freankensteiner off the top, That doesnt make him the Greatest.
    The no-talking promo's were brilliant. Very few other guys have the same level of crowd-commanding ability it takes to pull off something like that. Saying guys like Punk and Miz copied him and stole his moves worked fantastically; it added a bitterness to the character and gave him a reason to come back and single out Punk. Also, they did copy him. Yes, I realize everyone copies everyone but in kayfabe terms "you copied my shit so I'm back to show you how shit is done the right way" works wonderfully as an angle. Miz literally uses Jerichos old finisher and doesn't make it look half as good. Plus I'm pretty sure he fucked up Mysterio's whole "I'm back, 100% healthy, and good to go now," with the move.

Also, you can't compare Jericho's no-words turn to Austin-Bret. That shit happened by accident. The crowd just sort of dictated that. Like Punk's initial face turn, you can't boo a guy who simply proves himself in the ring and speaks the truth. Jericho did nothing but taunt and smirk and somehow managed to pull off a legitimate 180 degree turn. I think that's pretty fucking special.

As far as the Frankensteiner goes, yes, Steiner's done it once in the last few years as well... but the guy invented the damn move. It's a permanent part of his arsenal. Jericho has learned to tone down his style a bit in his older age, so for him to randomly dust it off against Ziggler, it's a big deal. It would be like Rey Mysterio bringing back one move out of the tremendous amount of crazy shit he used to do on a nightly basis. For a guy like Jericho who changes up his moveset quite often and hadn't used the move (one that nearly killed him, YouTube: "Gedo vs. Jericho 10/26/97") in ten years, pulling it out twice in a row to make Ziggler look good is just awesome on so many levels.

That's another problem I have with your blog, you took a shot at his moveset and said it wasn't believable until he added the Codebreaker. What the fuck? Hayabusa paralyzed himself for life trying to perform a Lionsault. I think it's pretty effective. Mid-rope dropkick to the outside? And before that it was a top-rope dropkick to the outside. The Walls before he started wrestling 400+ pounders and it was a true variation of the Boston Crab? He brought that back with Punk and Kofi and Ziggler didn't he? I haven't seen that shit look any better than it did on Ziggler on Summerslam, possibly ever. What about his old Triple Powerbomb finish? How about the Enzuigiri as a finisher? he added that completely out of nowhere. These were all before the Codebreaker and all ruled tits. In fact, the original double-knee Codebreaker looked a bit awkward if he didn't hit it perfectly (which he did most of the time, you know, the whole "best in the world" thing goes a long way) and it wasn't until he tweaked it starting with Punk to hit with only one knee that it started connected perfectly every time and looking even better.

So there's Jericho in a nutshell. Constantly tweaking his moveset to make himself and his opponents look better. At 41 years old, he's still plying his craft; still a student of the game. Still one of the best in the world, period.
    Updated 08-27-2012 at 12:55 PM by RavenEffect
    How u can write that Triple H or Austin are better in-ring performers... its just hurts my eyes when i read that, and how u can write that The Rock is better than Jericho on mic?! The Rock has only catchphrases and some stupid insulting words, simply no more that that, when it comes to Jericho he always saying more that his catchphrases and words like b...ch and simillar, so some of ur arguments are total BS... and Jericho is one of the best wrestlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerichohol
    How u can write that Triple H or Austin are better in-ring performers... its just hurts my eyes when i read that, and how u can write that The Rock is better than Jericho on mic?! The Rock has only catchphrases and some stupid insulting words, simply no more that that, when it comes to Jericho he always saying more that his catchphrases and words like b...ch and simillar, so some of ur arguments are total BS... and Jericho is one of the best wrestlers.
    Listen I know you are a Jericho fan, I know you might be on the Steve austin is a brawler band wagon and HHH is selfish and doesnt put over people band wagon but please do not be so naive to turned a blind eye to the amazing matches these men have had which without a doubt sur passes Jericho. Jericho is a great talent and has always been one of my favorites, I was never a huge HHH fan but match quality HHH has Jericho beat and so does Austin. Just look at this

People voted the Greatest match in WCW of all times (not when it was part of NWA) The 1992 War Games which involved Steve Austin.

People also voted one WWF/WWE's greatest match of all time to be Steve Austin vs Bret Hart at WM13.

Now how do you not give Steve Austin all the credit in the world when he basicly goes out there and has a 5 star brawl with Mick Foley, a 5 Star Technical master piece with Bret Hart at SS1996 and a 5 star Sports entertainment match with The Rock at WM17. Steve Austin is the most well rounded in ring performer of all times, maybe the best.

as for HHH, here is some of his matches.

vs Mick Foley at RR 2000

VS The Rock Ironman

vs Steve Austin 3 stages of Hell

vs HBK Summerslam 2002

vs HBK vs Chris Benoit WM20

vs Undertaker WM 28

in the span of a year in a half HHH had 3 legit 5 star matches and everytime he got in the ring it was a great match. I dont know how long you been watching wrestling but from 2000-2002 people in the IWC was calling HHH the greatest Ever.

I can go on for several paragraphs how many 5 star or great matches Austin had.
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenEffect
    The no-talking promo's were brilliant. Very few other guys have the same level of crowd-commanding ability it takes to pull off something like that. Saying guys like Punk and Miz copied him and stole his moves worked fantastically; it added a bitterness to the character and gave him a reason to come back and single out Punk. Also, they did copy him. Yes, I realize everyone copies everyone but in kayfabe terms "you copied my shit so I'm back to show you how shit is done the right way" works wonderfully as an angle. Miz literally uses Jerichos old finisher and doesn't make it look half as good. Plus I'm pretty sure he fucked up Mysterio's whole "I'm back, 100% healthy, and good to go now," with the move.

Also, you can't compare Jericho's no-words turn to Austin-Bret. That shit happened by accident. The crowd just sort of dictated that. Like Punk's initial face turn, you can't boo a guy who simply proves himself in the ring and speaks the truth. Jericho did nothing but taunt and smirk and somehow managed to pull off a legitimate 180 degree turn. I think that's pretty fucking special.

As far as the Frankensteiner goes, yes, Steiner's done it once in the last few years as well... but the guy invented the damn move. It's a permanent part of his arsenal. Jericho has learned to tone down his style a bit in his older age, so for him to randomly dust it off against Ziggler, it's a big deal. It would be like Rey Mysterio bringing back one move out of the tremendous amount of crazy shit he used to do on a nightly basis. For a guy like Jericho who changes up his moveset quite often and hadn't used the move (one that nearly killed him, YouTube: "Gedo vs. Jericho 10/26/97") in ten years, pulling it out twice in a row to make Ziggler look good is just awesome on so many levels.

That's another problem I have with your blog, you took a shot at his moveset and said it wasn't believable until he added the Codebreaker. What the fuck? Hayabusa paralyzed himself for life trying to perform a Lionsault. I think it's pretty effective. Mid-rope dropkick to the outside? And before that it was a top-rope dropkick to the outside. The Walls before he started wrestling 400+ pounders and it was a true variation of the Boston Crab? He brought that back with Punk and Kofi and Ziggler didn't he? I haven't seen that shit look any better than it did on Ziggler on Summerslam, possibly ever. What about his old Triple Powerbomb finish? How about the Enzuigiri as a finisher? he added that completely out of nowhere. These were all before the Codebreaker and all ruled tits. In fact, the original double-knee Codebreaker looked a bit awkward if he didn't hit it perfectly (which he did most of the time, you know, the whole "best in the world" thing goes a long way) and it wasn't until he tweaked it starting with Punk to hit with only one knee that it started connected perfectly every time and looking even better.

So there's Jericho in a nutshell. Constantly tweaking his moveset to make himself and his opponents look better. At 41 years old, he's still plying his craft; still a student of the game. Still one of the best in the world, period.
    Last Time I checked Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, William Regal, HHH, Randy Orton, The Rock or 90 percent of Jerichos opponents he has ever faced have been anywhere close to 400 pounds, he very rarely faces anyone 300 pounds, So the point is just cause he bust out the lion tamer once ever 3 years dont mean much.

The breakdown was a terrible terrible move thats why Jericho threw it out his move set. Miz does it far better than Jericho but still its a piece of crap move to begin with.

The triple Power Bomb was one of the fakest looking moves. I remember back in 1998 readin a artical on a wrestling site when some one called Jerichos triple power bomb "The most opponent assisted move in wrestling history" and thats when he was doing it to juvi and wrestlers that weight 170.

Yeah I agree the orginal Code Breaker looked like crap but to his credit it is fluent and he has been able to make it look great and he does it out of no where, sort of like the stunner and RKO which is a good trait to have for a finisher. The Code Breaker looks fantastic sometimes and its a very crediable finisher unlike the crap he has been using.

Honestly Jerichos move set was ok for cruiserweight but not for main event, Even Rey Mysterio twaeked his move set for main event. Jericho took so long to fix his move set.

and The Bret Hart Austin turn was 100% planned. The Jericho not talking thing blew up in is face, it was horrible. All it did was make people less intrested in Jericho. Jericho has the abilty to turn heel or face at a blink of a eye so I dont understand the no talking thing. The Whole you stole this and that was stupid. Other than Punks best in the world slogan the rest seemed stupid since most the people he claims copied him were heels.

Jericho himself would tell you that his whole run this last 9 monthes or so was a bust and his not talking thing and you copied me thing really destroyed his whole momentum.... Honestly the only promo he cut that was really good was his promo on Punk that one night other than that he has been forgetable promo wise and matches hmmmm I cant think of a great match he has been in. His matches with Ziggler were average at best. Nothing I would care to rewatch, Even the Raw match didnt seem like much more than a average 3 star or lower Raw match.
    Updated 08-27-2012 at 03:26 PM by THE_CRIPPLER
    Chris Jericho vs. Ultimo Dragon, 3/26/1995, from WAR. Nuff said, Junior.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.