View RSS Feed

redbower

Give me someone to hate.

Rate this Entry
What do Micheal Cole, Vickie Guerrero, and Paul Heyman have in common?

They are all non-wrestlers who are great at generating heat and making me hate them. This dynamic used to be common in professional wrestling via heel managers. Unfortunately, this type of feud has virtually gone the way of the dodo bird. Cole has went back solely to commentary, Heyman is a short-timer, and Vickie is all but irrelevant right now (not to mention it is harder for male faces in a pg world to give a woman her come-uppance).

I fondly remember these type of feuds being prominent in wrestling years ago. Bobby Heenan cracking on The Big Boss Man's mother, The Von Erik's trying to get their hands on both Skandar Akbar and Gary Hart, and Brother Love's infamous "I Love You," all evoked pure hatred or at the very least a desire for the face to get their hands on the cowardly antagonist.

I understand that Vince isn't interested in bringing back managers. That is all well and fine, but I would love to see him add more long-term and relevent non-wrestling heels to draw heat. Personally, I would turn one of my currently irrellevent interviewers or announcers heel (Josh Matthews possibly).

I feel almost that there is no longer anyone to hate in wrestling. This in my opinion is sad. I have always enjoyed hating (even while appreciating) the heel much more than loving the face. Let me know what you think.

Submit "Give me someone to hate." to Digg Submit "Give me someone to hate." to del.icio.us Submit "Give me someone to hate." to StumbleUpon Submit "Give me someone to hate." to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Alberto Del Sleepo??
    Hard to hate Paul Heyman though. Even though he is a "heel" I love this attitude and mic work. Vicki Guerrero was easy to hate, but that all went away the the PG rating WWE is going. Michael Cole always made me laugh when he was trying to be a big heel. Then again "The Brain" was the best IMO at being a heel.
    The thing that makes it hard for heels right now to get the proper heat that they need stems from WWE being family friendly. You can't offend anybody, and there are so many jackasses ready to jump on the "what about Be a STAR?!?!?!?!?!" train that their hands are tied in a lot of the directions that they can go with their heels.

One of the most legendary team of heels of all time were the Dudley Boyz in ECW. Just take a look at this and see just how far away from that we really are today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVQxIrOpSgE
    The issue is heel wrestlers can't get over anymore because WWE books these guys as crybaby cheaters that whine all the time. They don't book general kick ass heels anymore like Sheamus or Kane.

When I'm at a WWE event live, I rarely boo any heels because they're all the same. We know that the only way they're gonna win a match is if they cheat. There's no true difference between Cm Punk, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler and the others.
    I've thought for years that some guys who arn't good on the mic should have a manager like Lesnar has to speak for him to generate heat.
    As all heels are generally the same, it does get extremely hard to hate a heel nowadays. WWE needs to find new ways to make a different heel.

My guess? Wade Barrett will be this different, ass-kicking heel.
    There is very little natural development in WWE at the present. The over reliance on the writing teams means that a natural connection with the audience is not capitalised on. This works for good guys and bad guys. This is made worse by the stop / start pushes and flavour of the month booking that means no one has time to develop as a believable heel or face. If a wrestler doesn't succeed almost straight away with the role assigned to them they are cast aside and quickly forgotten.

To really hate someone they need to win more than they lose. Otherwise a fans desire to see them get what they deserve can't build enough for it to be satisfying when it finally happens.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.