View RSS Feed

Dubs

The ability to draw: Tag team wrestling

Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
So with the news of Triple H putting more focus into the WWE tag team division, I thoguht it was pretty great news. Not just from a fan perspective but from an actual business perspective. This is great news for the wrestlers because when the tag team division does well, it givs other tag teams a chance to do well and make more money. It elevates other wrestler's game to want to give us some of the best tag team wrestling matches of all time. Before Triple H's new role, the WWE didn't put any thought into the WWE tag team division. I completely forgot that they even had a tag team division back in 2011 but now, they are building the tag team division well as of late. Although the tag team division is doing well as of late, the tag team division still needs more polishing but it can only get better and better when actual thought is put into it.

The news of Triple H wanting the quality of tag team wrestling back, that inspired me to make this blog about tag team wrestling being a key to drawing in professional wrestling. The way I see it, tag team wrestling is just as important as being the face of a mainstream professional wrestling ogranization. Here are many examples of tag team wrestling being the ability to draw:

Exposure
Yup, that's right. Tag team wrestling gives guys who are looking to make a name for themselves some exosure. It lets guys get over with the audience on a bigger level. Lets take a look at some of the best tag teams in mainstream wrestling that benefited from a tag team:

Edge and Christian were two Canadian best friends that were trying to make a name for themeselves. They were in a stable with Gangrel which was called The Brood but then Edge and Christian didn't need Gangrel anymore, thus tagging with each other on a regular basis and trying to get over with the fans. Tagging with each other really elevated their games and pushed each other to a level that they had never gone before in their careers. Tagging with one another also gave them exposure and made them fun to watch as a team.

Lets not forget The Hardys. They were two brothers trying to find success in wrestling, even starting a tag team called OMEGA. Then they went to the WWE as they were jobbers and were simply paid to make other wrestlers look good, nothing more. They would go on to tag team with each other, getting their first big break in the WWE and would go on to being one of the greatest tag teams of the Attitude Era. All they needed was a little more exposure and a chance to get over with the fans.

Creative has nothing for you
We've all heard this before. When creative has nothing for cetain wrestlers, they usually do close to nothing only to get released from their contracts. It's a sad way to get released without even getting some material to work with in order to get over with the fans. However, their is always an option of choosing two wrestlers who you have nothing for creatively and pitting them in a tag team to get over with the fans. There is one tag team that benefited from that method:

The New Age Outlaws were the main tag team to benefit from the 'pitting two wrestlers who creative have nothing for and see if it'll work out' method. Billy Gunn and Road Dogg were being used as singles wrestlers back in 1997 and it didn't work out for the most part. Billy Gunn was given a Rockabilly gimmick which sucked and didn't get over with the fans. The reason being; the gimmick didn't fit his personality and it was out of touch. Road Dogg got a country singing gimmick similar to Jeff Jarrett's old gimmick and that didn't get him over. Both guys would fade into mediocrity until creative decided to put them in a tag team and the rest is history. The New Age Outlaws was one of the most charismatic tag teams during the Attitude Era. They were given a chance to show personality and a chance to prove their worth to the company. If they never formed a tag team, they would have been released but they did and got over. That, my friends, is why a tag team formation can mean a lot to wrestlers who aren't getting over as singles wrestlers.

A way of finding future main eventers
Tag teams are usually a way of finding future main eventers. Now, I'm not saying that it's a guarantee that tag teams will produce a future main eventer but it often does with most tag teams. Look at the list of people who were in a tag team that went on to being main eventers:

Shawn Michaels (The Rockers)
Edge (Edge & Christian)
Christian (Edge and Christian)
Jeff Hardy (The Hardys)
Booker T (Harlem Heat)
Steve Austin (The Hollywood Blondes)
Bret Hart (The Hart Foundation)
JBL (APA)
Scott Steiner (The Steiner Brothers)
Eddie Guerrero (Los Guerreros)
The Miz (Miz & Morrison)
Eddie Edwards (The American Wolves)
Davey Richards (The American Wolves)
James Storm (AMW & Beer Money)
Bobby Roode (Beer Money)

Those are some pretty big names who were/are big draws. Even Bully Ray, while not a world champion yet, is doing pretty good for himself and many people amongst the IWC are pushing for him to be the next TNA World champion. There can be many tag teams these days who will become main eventers. If not, than that's okay because as long as they are getting over as a tag team, than that's all that matters.

I'm really hoping to see tag team wrestling back on the map in the WWE. I want a great quality of tag team wrestling back. ROH is putting on great tag team wrestling and even TNA are putting on a great deal of quality tag team wrestling. It's time for WWE to build a strong tag team division with guys like the PTPs, Primo and Epico, The Usos, and many more. I also want to see newer tag teams ready to make a name for themselves. Plus, they can always pair the Kings of Wrestling back together wants Kassius Ohno gets called up on the main roster which will reek of awesomeness. I know the WWE's tag team division will be restored and all I have to say is:

Thanks for reading guys! Let me know what you think!

Submit "The ability to draw: Tag team wrestling" to Digg Submit "The ability to draw: Tag team wrestling" to del.icio.us Submit "The ability to draw: Tag team wrestling" to StumbleUpon Submit "The ability to draw: Tag team wrestling" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

this blog was absolutely amazing! this has to be one of my favorites and you seem to have lot of great points especially big stars coming from the tag team division. great job
    Bret Hart was big before the Hart Foundation
    Hollywood Blondes dıd nothing for SCSA
    Eddıe was big before Los Guerreros
    Harlem Heat did nothing for Booker

Just Saying
    Quote Originally Posted by WeDominate99
    Bret Hart was big before the Hart Foundation
    Hollywood Blondes dıd nothing for SCSA
    Eddıe was big before Los Guerreros
    Harlem Heat did nothing for Booker

Just Saying
    I don't know how big Bret Hart was before the Hart Foundation. But I agree with the rest. Especially Stone Cold, since Hollywood Blondes was like 87 years before Stone Cold came about.
    @WeDominate99 Bret Hart was not big before the Hart Foundation tag team. He got some exposure from that tag team which was my point. The same goes for Booker T. Eddie was also never big before tagging with Chavo. He was always a mid-carder but being in a tag team gave him a chance to shine. As for Stone Cold, well the Hollywood Blones tag team were Austin's best moments in WCW and gave him a chance to shine. It actually did play a good part with getting him over as a heel.
    @DX Wrestling Savior Yes but like I said before, the Hollywood Blondes tag team got Austin and Brian a chance to shine in WCW as a heel. Austin recalls it as being his best stuff in WCW as a heel and learned a lot from the art of tag teaming.
    To say it didn't do anything for Austin is a bit of a stretch.
    @Heavy Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy
    this blog was absolutely amazing! this has to be one of my favorites and you seem to have lot of great points especially big stars coming from the tag team division. great job
    I usually don't hate, but I will say; "BOLD words".... Being a "Hitman" mark, I'll confirm he was NOT big before The Hart Foundation. Other than that I'm going to agree with WeDominate99, the other superstars mentioned were definitely better off as singles competitors.

Good blog? Meh... Repetitive? Yes... Decent points? ....I guess you can say that... I'm not hating, I'm merely stating that this definitely WAS NOT your best blog.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.