View RSS Feed

holycrapoly

Wrestlemania 30 And What WWE Could Be Building Toward

Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
As if it could not already be stated enough, John Cena is this generations Hulk Hogan. Wins most of his matches, sells the most merchandise in the company, and is the "Poster-Boy" of the company.
How Cena and Hogan Came To Be

In January of 1984 at Madison Square Garden, Hulk Hogan knocked off The Iron Sheik to become the then WWF Champion. Afterward, the world was swept into the age of Hulkamania and the Rock N' Wrestling era. Hogan was everything children inspired to be. "Take Your Vitamins, And Say Your Prayers" et cetera.

At Wrestlemania 21 in 2005, John Cena defeated John Bradshaw Layfield in an I Quit match and win his first WWE Championship. Soon after, Cena was "drafted" to Monday Night RAW and has been there ever since, as the face of the company. He even had his own catch phrases that kids can be inspired by, such as "I Never Back Down, I Never Quit".

What do these two things have in common? Well, for one, both men thst Hogan and Cena knocked off never held WWE/WWF World Championship gold again. Another thing, both men ushered in eras for the kids (as expected).

The Upstart That Is Passed The Torch
The Ultimate Warrior. He came into the then WWF in 1987, and was instantly loved by the crowd. Although his mic skills weren't always there, his ring attire, entrance, and charisma were second to none and it was something that young kids, males, females could get behind and enjoy.

At Wrestlemania 6, the two biggest faces in the WWF clashed and went head-to-head. If you were alive back then and saw this when it happened, lucky you. Hulk Hogan put his WWF Title on the line, and The Ultimate Warrior put his Intercontinental Title on the line. Here is a link for those who have never seen this match before...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFH3pXmrPPM

For sake of this blog, I will spoil the ending. The Ultimate Warrior knocked off Hulk Hogan at the Grandest Stage Of Them All. Warrior became a duel champion and was on top of the company. Hulk Hogan passed said "torch" over to the Warrior.

Now, before I continue...stop and think to yourself... who is this generations Ultimate Warrior? Does the name Ryback ring a bell? It should. The droves of children love seeing him decimate people in the ring and he is over backstage fro guys like Vince McMahon. He is on his way up the rungs of the WWE. He has a catchphrase that children can get behind, its only three simple words. "Feed Me More!" To some of the IWC he is one dimensional and simply power, although this is not the case. We haven't seen enough from him yet to know for sure.

How does Ryback relate to John Cena?

John Cena has been on top for roughly 7 years now. Some are sick of it, some aren't. Every RAW Cena gets the biggest reception whether it is Cheers or Boos. At Wrestlemania 29, Cena is scheduled to either wrestle The Rock, Brock Lesnar, or The Undertaker (as of the last post I read regarding Cena's WM29 status here on this site. It may change depending on what CM Punk does, injuries and so forth.) If Cena does face one of these three guys, it will be quite the selling point for WWE.

But, look to the future. Ryback has plenty of time between now and Wrestlemania 30 to grow as a superstar and receive more fan support than ever. Wrestlemania 30 could be Cena's torch passing to Ryback. Cena will be almost 37 and definetely would be thinking about winding down his career.

What Do You Think?

Now, I ask you fellow EWN readers, forum writers, and bloggers... What Do You Think on this?

Am I just insane? Overspeculating? Wrong?

Or could I be onto something here?

I'll let you decide. (Also, please give me info on writing a blog and stuff. Let me know what I did right and wrong and what I can change about the blog setup. I will not be writing blogs on a timer, only when I feel they may be necessary).

Submit "Wrestlemania 30 And What WWE Could Be Building Toward" to Digg Submit "Wrestlemania 30 And What WWE Could Be Building Toward" to del.icio.us Submit "Wrestlemania 30 And What WWE Could Be Building Toward" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wrestlemania 30 And What WWE Could Be Building Toward" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I hope you're wrong. I just don't see Ryback as THE guy. And he may be multi dementional and show it in the future, but for now he is just not doing it for me. I'll break it down.

His entrance: he walks out looking like he could kill anyone in the ring, which is good. But then I can't help but laugh at him when he starts with the arms thing. He looks like a complete retard lifting his hands up and down like that. Not sure what he's supposed to be doing, but it is very comical to me.

In ring: once again, very dominant and intense looking which is good. But all the screaming during the match turns me away, including "Finish It". And the marching around the ring is comical.

Lastly his catch phrase is horrible.

Repacked with a different gimmick I don't doubt he can be better. I just don't see this gimmick lasting long before people start losing interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cobb
    I hope you're wrong. I just don't see Ryback as THE guy. And he may be multi dementional and show it in the future, but for now he is just not doing it for me. I'll break it down.

His entrance: he walks out looking like he could kill anyone in the ring, which is good. But then I can't help but laugh at him when he starts with the arms thing. He looks like a complete retard lifting his hands up and down like that. Not sure what he's supposed to be doing, but it is very comical to me.

In ring: once again, very dominant and intense looking which is good. But all the screaming during the match turns me away, including "Finish It". And the marching around the ring is comical.

Lastly his catch phrase is horrible.

Repacked with a different gimmick I don't doubt he can be better. I just don't see this gimmick lasting long before people start losing interest.
    I have to ask why you think his catch phrase is horrible. It's a simple few words that can be marketed by the WWE and also something kids can easily say without fail, similar to Cena's "You Can't See Me" line.
    WM 29: Rock vs Cena vs Brock for the WWE title

I dont see Cena passing the torch for a long time maybe WM 40
    After watching Ryback this week on RAW, the masses are getting behind him, the "Feed Me More" catchphrase was being chanted by the crowd, hell, I love watching Ryback come out, just something I have not seen in years (since Goldberg basically) and look what happened to him. Was US Champ and faced Hogan for the WCW title which he won.

It's going to happen again I can assure you, then question is when?
    Quote Originally Posted by DWR001
    WM 29: Rock vs Cena vs Brock for the WWE title

I dont see Cena passing the torch for a long time maybe WM 40
    Seems like you are getting carried away on purpose. He'll be in his late 40's by then. Give me a break bro.
    Great blog. But with all due respect. I must point out that wwes face has to have the look and physique. Not only that but they have to be able to draw from merchandise sales etc. I dont see ryback been a big draw at all...look at john cena for instance his gimmick is way awful but he still draws cause he has something within him that attracts the young stars. Ryback possess strenght. He possess the power factor, but i doubt he'd ever be able to be one of the companys big draws let alone the face of the company. However ziggler is indeed da future he should get that 'passing of the torch' thing. But i really thing cm-punk screwed them outta it cause his basically gonna be everything john cena is after cena is finished. So its useless passing any torch i guess lmao
    Ryback will be a World Champ soon but no way will he be the next face of the company.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.