View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WBC Series #12: The Finale

Rate this Entry
What is up guys? So, after some deliberation, I decided to put an end to the main series. The reasoning, is a few different ones. The main series isn't getting as much traffic as the top 5 is, and I came up with a new blog series with a friend on EWN, you all may know of, DK Wrestling Savior, that'll be debuting soon. So, this is the finale. The champ, Renevious, has the chance to go out on the top, but his challenger, his challenger has the chance to take him down once and for all. When WBC originally was started by Mr Boss, I became the first champ, and Ren was the first guy to beat me, so I felt it was appropriate for the two of us to duke it out. With this being the finale, I figured the best topic would be the World Heavyweight and WWE Championships. So, without further adieu, here is Ren's blog.

Renevious

What's up guys? Renevious here again for what seems to be the last time. It's been a good run, and I loved writing for you guys. But it looks like this will be my last title defense of the WBC Main Series. For this one we're going back to the beginning of me against my boy Bear. We'll be talking about the WWE and World Heavyweight Championships. With that being said, let's get to the questions...

Who do you think has been the best WWE Champion?
I'm not sure if this question has an understood time frame attached to it or if it means of all time, so I'm going to assume he means of recent or current times. First of all, the guys from back in the Attitude Era and before cannot be compared to the champions of today. It just wouldn't be fair. Austin, Hart, Warrior, Hogan, HBK, HHH, Savage, Rock, Foley, etc. all seemed to have more impact on the business than anyone today. If you look at today, the top champions have been guys like Randy Orton, CM Punk, and John Cena. While John Cena (like him or not) has done a great job of being the face of the company for years, I personally prefer CM Punk because to me he represents more of a pure wrestler. I threw Orton in there because he's super over with the crowds, but I can't stand the sight of him. To me, everything he does is boring, played out, and even more predictable than Cena. And even though I don't dislike Cena like most of the "smarks" on this site, he does get shoved down our throats just a little too much. So all in all, I'd have to say the best champion of today is CM Punk.

Who do you think has been the best World Heavyweight Champion in WWE?
I'm going to use a really bad pun here, but I gotta give the edge to Edge. Ever since the World Heavyweight Championship was adopted by the WWE, it has been treated like everything from being more prestigious than the WWE Title all the way to a belt that none of us really know why it exists anymore. But one man always made that title seem like it was the most important thing in the business. You may not agree with his methods of how he'd win that title (or defend it), but there's not a person out there who can sincerely say a bad thing about Edge, personally or professionally. He always held any title of his with the utmost prestige, and this one was no different. You contrast that with someone like Sheamus today, and you see why Edge is the obvious choice here. I'm not taking anything away from Sheamus as a performer or athlete, but how many of you actually see his current title reign as something meaningful? It looks more like a decoration for his action figure than an actual world title.

What feud do you think was best involving the WWE title?
Again, I'm going to go back to recent years only, considering that it seems to be the theme of this topic. With that being said, I'm going to have to go with the "Pipe Bomb" (God, I hate that term) incident/feud of 2011. When CM Punk went on his shoot and talked about how he was going to win the title and take it with him to ROH or NJPW, it really made the whole thing seem legit. And for once, it actually made us give two shits about what was actually going to happen with the title. Punk and Cena had an epic match at Night of Champions, and then Punk did exactly what he said he was going to do and left with the WWE Title. Of course, this was a work, but they did such a good job of it that it made it seem almost real. And Punk showing up with the belt at the WWE panel at Comic-Con was the icing on the cake. That whole situation was great, start to finish.

What feud was the worst featuring the WHC title?
To actually pinpoint what the WORST feud was is damn near impossible. There have been some pretty bad ones. But I'm going to stick with the one going on right now. I mean, who cares at all about this feud between Sheamus and Alerto Del Rio? That's rhetorical. I know the answer already. But the truth is, we have two guys who are very competent performers being forced into a feud with each other that has absolutely no substance behind it. It's like every week they do something to piss each other off, but it's just so bland and unoriginal that nobody cares. One week Del Rio jumps Sheamus and beats him up. The next week Sheamus "borrows" his car and messes it up. Blah blah blah. It's so damn juvenile and lame. They're going to fight at Summerslam, and the sad thing is that I don't care AT ALL who wins, just as long as it ends the feud and they move on.

Who do you see as a future WWE/WHC Champion?
The very obvious answer is Dolph Ziggler. This guy is a future world champion without a doubt. Cody Rhodes would be another one that I could see making it. He's not that big, but he's got a great look, superb in-ring skills, and he's awesome on the mic. Plus, it's in his blood. He was born to do this. I'd also like to see WWE go a bit old school and give a juice monkey like Ryback a chance to wear the gold. I know some people will say he's one dimensional and that he's an imitation Goldberg, but that one dimension he has is pretty damn impressive. Plus, I think there's more to him than we're seeing right now. Not to mention, what would be the point of being so ridiculously dominant if you never make it to the top? Guys like that need the validation of a title. Otherwise, it won't be long before the fans get tired of seeing him maul through jobbers. And lastly, I would be doing myself an injustice if I didn't plug this guy at least one time in every blog. It'll be some time before it happens, but mark my words. Damien Sandow will be a world champion one day. He is without a doubt the best pure heel character in all of professional wrestling today. I always say there are two types of heat in wrestling. There's the "nobody likes you and wishes you would just disappear" bad heat (circa John Lauranitis or King Mabel), and there's the "everybody loves to hate you and are very entertained by watching you get beat" good heat (circa Bobby Heenan and Mr. Perfect). The former is something anyone can do. The latter is a rare art form. Damien Sandow has that gift. And the WWE would be doing themselves a huge disservice if they didn't capitalize on it.

Do you feel the WWE needs both the WWE and WHC Championship?
No. Let me explain. If WWE continues to run things the way are right now, then no. They need to do away with the belt and only have a WWE Championship. However, if the WWE ever decided to go back to the days of having two separate brands (one for each show), then it would definitely make sense for each one to have its own champion. I, personally, am all for them splitting the brands back up and treating each show like a completely separate entity, but I don't realistically see that happening. So, I guess the more realistic way to look at it is that there's no more brand identity, and because of that, there should only be one world championship, the WWE Title. And while we're at it, if we're going to do away with the World Heavyweight Championship, we might as well get rid of the US Title too. The Intercontinental Title was always looked at as the guy who was just a step away from being WWE Champion. And back in WCW, the US Title was looked at the same way but with the WHC. So if we're going to get rid of one, we need to get rid of both. No more dual championships that are supposed to be equal in prestige. We tried "separate but equal" in this country back in the day, and it didn't work out so well. Let's not do the same thing to our title belts. And while we're at it, let's bring back the Cruiserweight division. I know it wasn't part of the question, but dammit, I miss Cruiserweight title matches. They were awesome, and they could be awesome again.

Alright guys, it looks like that's going to do it for Renevious. I hope you enjoyed this one, and I want to thank everyone who has ever read any of my blogs, whether you voted for me or not. I'm going to miss defending my title every week, but you might see me again one day to challenge for the top 5 title. But until then, maybe this will give me more time to get back to my regular blogs. Either way, thanks again for reading. Hope you enjoyed it. God Bless.

A great blog from Renevious. That'll be a tough one to beat. So, without anymore delay, here is my blog!

Bearkg88

Now, before anyone asks, I wrote my blog before seeing any of Renevious, and posted it before I read. I wanted to be as impartial as possible. I hope you guys like this blog!

Who do you think has been the best WWE Champion?
For this one, I did a little research as to who has had the most reigns, the longest reign, the longest combined reign, and the success of their title run. I also included my own personal knowledge prior to looking stuff up. After some careful thinking, my choice is Hulk Hogan. He had a total of 6 reigns, the longest being for 1,474 days, and the shortest being for a day. Combining the length of all of his runs, he was the champ for a total of 2,185 days. Add on to that, he was in his prime. While Hogan was never the in ring technician that Kurt Angle or Punk or Jericho is, he had the ability to draw people in and just ooze charisma. This was also during the time when Hulkamania was running wild. I remember as a kid having a Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage plush dolls and wrestling with him. I remember hearing Hogan's signature catch phrase, "whatcha gonna do brother when Hulkamania runs wild on you". I think he has been the best WWE Champion in the companies history so far.

Who do you think has been the best World Heavyweight Champion in WWE?
Now this was the more interesting one, since the WHC has only been active in the WWE since 2002. I chose Triple H. 2002 was the time when I got into wrestling, just at the start of the HHH/HBK feud and their epic match at Summerslam. Hunter was cemented in my eyes as a massive heel when he nailed Shawn in the back with the sledgehammer. Subsequently, he was named the World Heavyweight Champ by Bischoff. Hunter had a total of 5 reigns as the champ, with the longest reign being 280 days, and the shortest being 76 days. Combining the length of those 5 runs, he was a champ for a total of 616 days. He had memorable feuds with Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Randy Orton, Goldberg, and Batista. He was the staple of the Raw brand as the champ, and was the leader of Evolution.

What feud do you think was best involving the WWE title?
This is a tough one. I picked an overall feud, which would be The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin. This was during the time of the attitude era, which alot of fans are still wishing would come back, but, this was also during the time when Austin and Rock were in their prime. They had two memorable meetings at Wrestlemania 15 and Wrestlemania 17, and we also saw the heel turn of Austin at WM 17. Add on to that their other matches throughout the duration of this feud, and to me, these two really highlighted the WWF Championship when they went at it.

What feud was the worst featuring the WHC title?
I picked the Khali/Batista feud. Sometimes you can take two big guys, Batista/HHH, Cena/HHH, Taker/Batista and get good matches, and then there are other times where you get a train wreck. I remember the Punjabi Prison match between these two, and while the concept was interesting, the match was dreaful. Even adding Mysterio into the mix didn't help anything with this feud. For me, Khali is the one guy who should have never been champion.

Who do you see as a future WWE/WHC Champion?
Right now, I see Bray Wyatt aka Husky Harris, becoming a WWE/WHC Champ someday. When he comes back from injury, if they keep his current gimmick on him, he is gold. The dude is talented in the ring, and he has the type of mic skills that just sucks you in. He kind of reminds me of heel Punk from a few years back. Plus he doesn't fit the definition of a small guy like Bryan or Punk. If they utilize Wyatt right, within the next 5 years I could see him as a champ.

Do you feel the WWE needs both the WWE and WHC Championship?
Honestly, I don't think they do. Here is how I see the WWE would benefit right now. One main title, the WWE Championship, one upper title, the IC Championship, the tag titles, and a cruiserweight championship. Retire the US and Diva's titles for now, and unify the WHC with the WWE title. Yes, there is a talent pool where you could try and justify having the two main titles, but it would be so much better to have just one. Look at the matches coming up at Summerslam. We have Cena vs Show vs Punk, and Sheamus vs ADR. Now I don't know about you, but I am not a fan of ADR, and I don't think Show should be in the title scene. If we had just one title, we could see Punk vs Orton vs Cena or Sheamus vs Punk vs Cena or even some kind of fatal fourway. It would really accentuate the main eventers, and give the upper mid carders something more to strive for. Picture Wade Barrett, a guy everyone thinks should be champ. If there was only one title, and Barrett was built right and then won it at Survivor Series, imagine the impact of winning the most prestigious title in wrestling. So, I think one title is better than two at this point.

Well guys, that is my blog. I hope you liked it. Remember to vote for which blog you liked better/who you agreed more with/and who you thought wrote a better blog!

Submit "WBC Series #12: The Finale" to Digg Submit "WBC Series #12: The Finale" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC Series #12: The Finale" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC Series #12: The Finale" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very good blogs by both. I obviously agree and disagree with points by both. I feel that Ren would have answered differently if a time frame would have been established.

Be that as it may, Renevious, a great champion, was a Cy Young pitcher who left a hanging curveball up to a power hitter. Your reign came to an end as soon as you labeled Sandow the best pure heel in professional wrestling today.

Bearkg88 closes out WBC as champ IMO.
    Renevious was thoughtful enough to provide the context of how he perceived the line of questioning. I have to agree with his interpretation of the difference between WWE & WWF. Given that, I think his arguments hold a lot of water.
    Bear seems to think that the duration of a title being held (accurate to the day, for some reason) adds substance or defines how good or prolific a champion was. Such is not the case in my opinion. Not that I disagree with some of his selections.

My pick is Renevious.
    Quote Originally Posted by String-Ho
    Renevious was thoughtful enough to provide the context of how he perceived the line of questioning. I have to agree with his interpretation of the difference between WWE & WWF. Given that, I think his arguments hold a lot of water.
    Bear seems to think that the duration of a title being held (accurate to the day, for some reason) adds substance or defines how good or prolific a champion was. Such is not the case in my opinion. Not that I disagree with some of his selections.

My pick is Renevious.
    I don't think that a length of time determines the quality of a champion, I just thought it was worth mention. I mean, look at Punk. He has been champ for quite a while now, and it's because he has been doing good stuff. Look at Hogan. He was champ for a long while because he was doing stuff back then.
    I'm shocked that nobody mentioned Katie Vick as worst WHC storyline. It was just bad. Bearkg88 gets the vote from me
    I go for Ren's, not so much for the choices but for the reasoning behind them and I guess that's what's important in a blog. The only choice I fully agree with out of both blogs was that Edge was the best WHC champion, though I've not been a big fan of Edge in more recent years I must admit he always sold it like that belt really meant something to him. To him it being about the belt WAS personal
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.