View RSS Feed

bearkg88

WBC Top 5 Series #13: Top 5 Summerslam PPV's Part 2

Rate this Entry
Akbar

5. SummerSlam 1997
Mankind vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley (Cage match)
Goldust vs. Brian Pillman
Legion of Doom vs. GodwinnsBritish Bulldog vs. Ken Shamrock (European Title)Los Boricuas vs. D.O.A.
Steve Austin vs. Owen Hart (Intercontinental Title)
Bret Hart vs. Undertaker (WWF World Title)

The PPV most remembered for Stone Cold breaking his neck but still managing to crawl and get that win from a good match, showing the will and heart SCSA has that would help him conquer WWE later on. Stand matches were the main event, for its storytelling

4. SummerSlam 1998

• WWE European Championship: D Lo Brown vs. Val Venis
  • The Oddities/ Featuring a live performance by The Insane Clown Posse vs. Kaientai
  • Hair vs. Hair Match: X-Pac vs. Double J
  • Mixed Tag Team Match: Sable & Edge vs. Marc Mero & Jacqueline
  • Lion’s Den Match: Owen Hart vs. Ken Shamrock
  • WWE Tag Team Championship, No Holds Barred Match: Mankind vs. Billy Gunn & Road Dogg
  • WWE IC Championship Ladder Match: Triple H vs. The Rock
  • WWE Championship Match: Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Undertaker

First of, this PPV gets 100 points for the poster alone, it looks like something out if a 1960's Hollywood film. Owen Hart and Ken Shamrock put on a masterful choreographed match. The two main events were brilliant matches, SCSA V taker is a match that just oozes class on card and when it actually happened it tared the roof down. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the Ladder match between HHH and Rock, they done all the risky move I thought they wouldn't or couldn't. Both excellent matches helped with solid matches through out.

3. SummerSlam 1992

• The Legion of Doom vs. Money Inc.

• Nailz vs. Virgil
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Rick Martel
  • The Natural Disasters vs. The Beverly Brothers
  • Crush vs. Repo Man
  • Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage
  • The Undertaker vs. Kamala
  • Intercontinental Championship Match
  • The British Bulldog vs. Bret Hart

In a packed out Wembly Arena 80,000 were in attendence to watch what most people say is one of the greatest matches of all time in Bulldog V Bret Hart. When Bulldog got the pin, it was one of the loudest cheers ever heard for a wrestling match. The card was helped by a great match for the world title by Warrior and Savage. Also a weird but none the less exciting match from HBK and Rick Martel. All round great PPV, which I had to re watch in YouTube to realise its impact.

2. SummerSlam 2000

• Triple-Threat Match for the WWF Championship: The Rock (champion) vs. Triple H vs. Kurt Angle

• Undertaker vs. Kane
  • Two-Out-of-Three Falls: Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit
  • TLC Match for the Tag Team Championship: Edge & Christian (champions) vs. Dudley Boyz vs. Hardy Boyz
  • Tazz vs. Jerry "the King" Lawler
  • Right to Censor vs. Too Cool & Rikishi
  • X-Pac vs. Road Dogg

An absolute peach of a PPV in featuring one of my favourtie matches of all time, the TLC match was insanity and risky at the highest level. I think it was a better match then the rematch in Wrestlemania. Some of the early matches were pretty rubbish but the second half of the card makes up for it. The main event was really good but it was totally outshined by the Taker/Kane match, it was a good feud finished of by a great match by 2 great Wrestlers.

1. Summerslam 2002

>Rock (champion) vs Brock Lesnar
>Shawn Michaels vs Triple H
>Undertaker vs Test

>Chris Benoit vs Rob Van Dam
>Lance Storm and Christian vs Booker T and Goldust
>Edge vs Eddie Guerrero
>Ric Flair vs Chris Jericho
>Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle

Other than Chris Jericho V Ric Flair, every single was match was exciting, brilliant and well executed. This Summerslam would be remembered for 2 things, first it was the beginning of the unfortunately very short but dominant reign of the Lesnar era. The Rock was breaking out to the Hollywood scene so it was time to pass on the torch to a new star. Everyone expected Lesnar to win but it was still a good back and fourth match. The crowd was noisy the whole way through and never shows any sign of boredom in their noise waves. And secondly, it was the return of the greatst superstar of all time from his 4 year hiatus. In a personal favourite feud of all time between Triple H and Shawn Micheals, they put on an unforgettable piece of storytelling in this match. Not only is this the best Summerslam PPV but one of the greatest PPV's of all time.

Some great choices from Akbar! Up next, is the former champ returning for his title! Ladies and gentlemen, Renevious!

Renevious

Hey guys, what's up? Renevious here again. It looks like I'm back in the mix for this top 5 series. Since I'm already the WBC main series champion, I'm hoping to do what Cody Rhodes couldn't and pull an Ultimate Warrior here. Let's get to it...Top 5 Summerslams

5. Summerslam 2011
All the hype going into this PPV was around the main event. It was a very important summer in WWE, and we were all on the edge of our seats. CM Punk had finally made things interesting and exciting again with his infamous 'pipe bomb' shoot, and then he turned the WWE on its ear when he left the company with the WWE Championship. The timing of it all was perfect, and the way it all coincided with his contract renewal made it seem pretty legit. Not to mention his appearance at the WWE panel at Comic-Con with the belt was epic. Everyone was so pumped to see CM Punk pull a Razor Ramon and become the undisputed WWE Champion, and he did. But as cliff hangers will be cliff hangers, everybody's (I mean nobody's) favorite, Alberto Del Rio, cam in after a Kevin Nash jackknife and cashed in his MITB briefcase. It pissed everybody off, but that's exactly what it was supposed to do. I can't think of a much better way to generate some instant heat than what they did there. It was beautiful.

4. Summerslam 1991
I know I'm going way back on this one, but I can't help it. I'm old school. This Summerslam had a moment that was epic at the time. But looking back, it was much more than that. We got to see Bret Hart win his first singles title when he beat Mr. Perfect for the IC Title. Who would've known back then what kind of unparalleled career was in store for him? Now with an awesome main event package like the Match Made in Hell and the wedding aka Match Made in Heaven, Hart and Perfect were in no way the main focal point of this event. But that didn't stop them. Before HBK was the Showstopper and before Dolph was the Showoff, Bret and Curt were tearing the house down like nobody's business. Not to mention, that main event was pretty bad ass in its own right. Here in the USA, we still were pretty big on the whole "Fuck Iraq" mindset, and seeing Hulkster and Warrior beat down Slaughter, Adnan, and Mustafa was the shit. And the wedding between Macho and Liz was a pretty memorable moment as well, especially when Liz opened a present and there was a cobra in there. Jake the Snake was and always will be the man!

3. Summerslam 2000
I'm not going to speak too much about this one, but its place in history is really cemented by one crowning moment. That's right my friends. This was the birth of the Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match. TLC has become so synonymous with WWE that people often forget what made it famous. Back around the turn of the new millennium, the WWE was rocking a tag team division like it had never seen before (or will again, for that matter). We had E&C, the Dudleys, and the Hardys all going at it in some of the most grueling matches we've ever seen in the WWE. While TLC II at Wrestlemania X-Seven may be remembered as the greatest ever, a special place in the history books will always be open for the original.

2. Summerslam 1994
A while back I wrote an entire blog about this event. It was part of my 'Lost Gems' series, and that's because I never felt this Summerslam ever got the respect it deserved. It wasn't jam packed with storyline twists, but what it did have was a seriously awesome card. We got to see the epic return of the REAL Undertaker, Razor Ramon regain the IC Title (back when that was a huge deal), and one of the if not the greatest cage match in WWE history between Bret and Owen Hart. Nobody thought two amazing technical wrestlers could pull off a great cage match, but they proved everybody wrong and then some. We all know and remember their awesome battle at Wrestlemania X, but I truly believe that this was the one that really takes the cake.

1. Summerslam 1992
Hey, I told you I was old school. How could this be anywhere buy number 1? In front of over 80,000 people across the pond at Wembley Stadium, we got to see one hell of a pay per view. From the silliness of HBK and Rick Martel in their 'no hitting in the face' match all the way to arguably the greatest wrestling match of all time, this event delivered on every level. LOD coming out on motorcycles to defeat Money Inc, Macho Man defending his WWE Title against the Ultimate Warrior, and the British Bulldog defeating Bret Hart for the IC belt. Never before had the main event of a pay per view been for the Intercontinental Championship, but the brothers-in-law showed all of us what they were capable of. It was a completely flawless match to cap off a nearly flawless pay per view.

There you have it. That's my list, and I'm sticking to it. Thank you so much for taking the time to read, and I truly hope you enjoyed it. Til next time, God Bless.

Great choices from Ren also! Now it is up to you the reader! make sure to vote for whose choices you agree most with! Thanks everyone!

Submit "WBC Top 5 Series #13: Top 5 Summerslam PPV's Part 2" to Digg Submit "WBC Top 5 Series #13: Top 5 Summerslam PPV's Part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC Top 5 Series #13: Top 5 Summerslam PPV's Part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC Top 5 Series #13: Top 5 Summerslam PPV's Part 2" to Google

Updated 08-02-2012 at 03:24 PM by bearkg88

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Akbar for me
    Akbar all the way...
    Gotta be Akbar.
    Akbar did it for me.
    I gotta say, Renevious...you lost points right off the bat by listing last year's SS as a top 5. Sorry, I can't buy that. The ending was crappy, and the rest of the card was pretty weak considering. Not to mention, it was full of today's stars which, IMO, aren't top of anything. I do, however, love your inclusion of 1991 and 1994. I feel like Bret/Perfect and Bret/Owen are among the top matches of all time.

I like Akbar's list as well. I don't like his number 1 though. And I feel there's not enough respect for the Wembly Stadium SS. #3 doesn't do it justice. Plus, I personally didn't think much of Highway to Hell.

Tough call. Gotta go Renevious though.
    Remember, there is also Darkside Ron Garvin you can vote for!
    akbar because Summerslam 2002 is probably the best ppv WWE ever produced. How it isn't in someones top 5 Summerslams ever is beyond me.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.