View RSS Feed

Callum

Matt Hardy: An Underrated performer and a Role Model?

Rating: 5 votes, 2.40 average.
Matt Hardy - 'Stronger than death'

I decided to do this blog after reading the 'Do you want Jeff Hardy to return to the Wwe' thread started by Deadly56. I've always been a fan of Matt, more so than Jeff because he was similar to me (not in the taking drugs sense, in that I was often overlooked because of my brother). Matt was the older brother who kept everything under control, he was often overlooked because Jeff was the one doing all the spots.
This blog will be looking at Matt Hardy - as a role model and an underrated performer.

Background to how I became a fan of wrestling...

I started watching wrestling in 1998 when The Hardy's vs Edge and Christian rivalry started. Their fast paced, exciting matches made me a fan of wrestling and from there I became a fan of the likes of HBK, Chris Jericho, Kane, Triple H....
I remember watching Matt become a singles performer and producing some great matches/moments with his Mattitude gimmick. His promos were really good, one of my favourite moments was Matt trying to lose weight so he could be apart of the Crusierweight division.

A massive career mistake he made was moving to Raw to be with Lita. He may of had an entertaining feud with Kane but if he had of stayed on Smackdown he may of eventually got an IC title shot which could of been used to propel himself into the main event scene.

The Love Triangle...
So Lita left Matt for Edge, Matt was fired only to be rehired, they feuded ending with Matt losing a loser leaves Raw match.

This feud was good but it could of been so much better. The booking of it in my opinion was wrong. They should of had Edge get disqualified or walk out as Matt being unable to compete made him look weak. The second match should of seen Edge get the win after a distraction. And the feud should of ended with Matt prevailing in the steel cage match. He could of then gone after the Wwe Championship with the catchphrase 'I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain'. Edge could of then cashed in after Matt won the championship resuming their feud ending with Matt coming out on top. This would of created 2 main eventers.

I understand Matt moved over to Smackdown for personal reasons but they still should of had him go after the World Championship with the mindset I wrote above.
Fast forward a few years after and Matts had a decent tag team run with his brother, an amazing feud with Mvp, an ECW Championship run and another good rivalry with Jeff. After Jeff left, Matts career took a turn for the worse jobbing to Eric Escobar and Drew McIntyre.

I think Matt was a hard worker who would of made a main event run work. There were too key moments where they should of pushed Matt. With his version 1 gimmick or after his feud with Edge and Lita.

Matt Hardy - A role model?
Matt started his indie promotion (Omega) at an early age. He worked his ass off to get noticed and to get sponsors. He taught himself to sew to save money on costumes - if that's not dedication than I don't know what is. He got himself and his brother into the Wwe and became one of the greatest tag teams ever.

I know he's had an awful past year or so but there was a lot leading up to it in my opinion. Obviously I don't condone the use of drugs and am only defending him to a degree but moments that played a role in it were (imo):
- His mother dying whilst Matt was young
- The love of his life cheating on him.

I don't think Matt had properly got over the affair until last year.

Thankfully, Matts in a good place now with Reby Sky. I don't see him returning until he's proposed to Reby as he probably doesn't want a de ja vu.

A return in the near future?
I do however think Matt will eventually return but I don't think that'll happen till after next Wrestlemania at the earliest. Id like him to be given the Christian treatment (preferably not losing it in 5 days) and have at least one World title run.

Thanks for reading, not really sure what type of blog this was but think of it a blog aimed at the Matt Hardy haters who don't know anything about him other than his problems with drugs. It may not of been my best blog but I've been meaning to do this for a while. Remember to leave a comment below!

I'd recommend the Twist of Fate Hardys Dvd as it offers an insight into how they got into the business and how hard Matt worked to get them both there.

Submit "Matt Hardy: An Underrated performer and a Role Model?" to Digg Submit "Matt Hardy: An Underrated performer and a Role Model?" to del.icio.us Submit "Matt Hardy: An Underrated performer and a Role Model?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Matt Hardy: An Underrated performer and a Role Model?" to Google

Updated 08-01-2012 at 11:45 AM by Callum

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good blog, I haven't seen a Hardy blog in a while. I also want to say, yes i'm the guy who made the thread you're talking about and my user name is deadly56. What, I think this the third time I inspired someone to post a blog, and they don't use my user name. The other latest guy kinda redone my Top Ten Finishers and Theme Song blog.
    Great blog. I have been saying this for years. The fact that they did not elevate him to main event status in 2005 was an awful decision. He never got the respect he deserved. I really thought it would happen on Smackdown, especially since JBL kept calling him a 'main event waiting to happen' and the 'the heart and soul of Smackdown'. Alas, he never got the chances that Jeff got, despite all of Jeff's personal problems.
    I'm a huge fan of Hardyz...n esp Matt...I loved Matt morethan Jeff when it comes to singles action...n I have told it many times in this site that Matt was the story teller of the team n Jeff was the stunt man....Matt allowed Jeff to show those stunts n when story telling time comes..he used to handle it..n that's why they both became a great tagteam...

Singles also...I love Matt more than Jeff for Matt is a good mat wrestler...I enjoyed his Mattitude gimmick n all his weight losing thing...I felt when Edge-Lita feud surfaced Matt's gonna grow big...at that point I saw a mulkti time world champ in him..but that never happened n wwE dropped the ball..

when he came to Smackdown..I used to weekly watch smackdown because I know Matt's gonna give at least one good match with whom so ever he wrestles...Matt got all the momentum at that time n some how WWE dropped the ball...when he was feuding with Jeff, at that time also I felt World championship is waiting for him..n that's the third time WWE dropped the ball...n now I'm not sure whether he can ever make it to that level...
    I understand the fact that you got into wrestling around the time the Hardys were over big-time, so that may influence how you feel about Matt, there's nothing wrong with that or being a fan of his.

Nevertheless, I don't really feel Matt Hardy was ever underrated or used in an improper fashion. As other comment leavers have noted, Matt never had the 'It' factor. At one point - around the time it was where audiences were briefly clamoring for his return and giving him some pops - Matt actually generated some heat and was given a fair (though even I'll admit, a somewhat understated) push by the company and nothing came of it. Is it because Matt didn't give it all? or because he lacked the in-ring ability or even skills on a mic? No. It's he simply never had the 'It' factor nor did anyone care what he'd have to say on the mic even if he could say it well. I never knew anyone at anytime who wanted to watch a WWE product because Matt Hardy the singles competitor was appearing. While it's true that sometimes a talent can play the politic game well enough to where they keep the push going - Matt was never one to take that route. But Matt couldn't even breakthrough in TNA. That says a lot.

While I'll always remember Matt as one half of one of the attitude era's more exciting tag teams (along with Edge & Christian and the Dudleys) - that's all I really have to remember him by. There is not one singles match of his that I can remember of being of any significance. In all honesty, I think it's Matt's work as a dedicated company jobber early on who then developed into a top-tier tag-teamer for almost a decade that caused the WWE to give Matt every opportunity they felt was warranted to manufacture success as a singles competitor.

Matt just never had 'it,' and therefore I feel the WWE knew exactly what they were doing in how they used him. Not everyone is meant to be Macho Man, RVD or Mr. Perfect. Some guys are better off in the tag-team division (which oddly, is missing these days).
    Fabulous blog i agree with every word. Matt is a role model, people were saying he was going to die but he battled his addictions and is now at a better place in life. Before he left the WWE, he was getting large pops, they loved this guy. I really hope he can become WWE champ before its all said and done. Great blog.
    Matt was always my favorite hardy boy and when he went to singles competition I loved it. From 03-07 he was the only wrestler I actually cared about. He was way over with the fans and a good worker, i never knew why they didnt give him a whc run. as far as him returning to the wwe i dont see it happening. He didnt exactly leave on good terms, and his stint in tna was pretty bad. Also I read that his hips/ankles were too messed up to have a full time scheduel.
    Matt is cool, he is my age about 30 days apart in age. I follow both him and his bro. I went through his tough times like a lot of us do and came back from it. Back to Wrestling and doing his thing with his Sexy Lady Reby Sky. The man is a Legend and Future Hall of Famer so no worries.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.