View RSS Feed

akbar

Why CM Punk is more suitable as a face

Rate this Entry

The somewhat eagerly anticipated return of CM Punk is almost near us and no doubt majority of WWE fans will be glad to see him back. Now granted unless something spontaneous occurred in the usual auto-pilot creative minds of WWE, he’ll return as a heel. No doubt Punk is a great heel, but his anti-hero face persona is where for me he was best and where he established himself as a star.

Anyone can be a heel with the usual ‘I’m better than you’ or ‘respect me you minions’ will always get you boos from the crowd. Sure some wrestlers do it a million times better than other wrestlers with Punk being one of those. The craft of being a really good face is I personally believe a lot harder and not many could pull it off well.

A really good face is someone who can command the crowd at their own will, demand a reaction and get a reaction. Rarely do these types of faces come about which is one of the reasons why Cena has been at the top with no challenge for so long. Reasons like this are why Randy Orton just hasn’t worked as a face and also why Sheamus both with inept mic skills and generic self isn’t working. There’s only a certain amount of times you can Brouge kick or RKO the bad guy until it gets boring. You have to talk to the crowd, entertain them, and give them stuff to chant about, give them a character to invest in to really go over as a face. CM Punk has the mic skills, and as a face he said what the crowd felt and they reacted to him.

Punk like Cena initially got over with the crowd as a heel; his Straight Edge Society stint gave him many admirers amongst the fans. The stuff for the Taker feud like mocking Paul Bearer and kicking Takers gravestone etc, Got the heel reaction he was looking for but being that type of scumbag really isn’t difficult to do. Anyone can kick gravestones and steal an urn. None of those actions singles out Punk from any previous heels. A wrestler stands out of the crowd when they do things no one else or not many can do. Say what you want about John Cena but his natural charisma on the mic is brilliant, jokes can be written by a lot of people but the deliverance of it is as important. Punk is the only post attitude era wrestler that can hold a candle to Cena promo wise. The crowd love him, his pops are loud as any. For the Cena haters, who are many, Punk was their saviour. It makes no sense to keep him a heel right now when he is getting the face reactions so many of the bland wrestlers are craving for. Punk is at his peak

Including Punk the relevant heels of WWE are currently Brock Lesnar, Ryback, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, The Shield and a few more. The top face is John Cena with Orton, Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio, the latter 3 hardly setting the world alight. Although Daniel Bryan is really over with the WWE and him getting back to single action after his Team Hell No partnership with Kane was saturated to the bone, he is definitely on the top so that’s something to look forward in the second half of this year.

It’s been reported for Brock Lesnar and CM Punk to be the big SummerSlam feud and it could be a very interesting and memorable feud if everything plans out. The ideal situation is obvious that as they are both in the Paul Heyman faction, some sort of betrayal of jealousy from whichever of the two leading to them feuding. Heyman will side with Lesnar as he is the wrestler who needs a mouthpiece and Punk is very much capable enough to go toe to toe with his master Paul Heyman on the mic and in the ring with Lesnar. Simple but almost certain to be very effective and for the company as Lesnar and Punk working together could be very impressive.

Submit "Why CM Punk is more suitable as a face" to Digg Submit "Why CM Punk is more suitable as a face" to del.icio.us Submit "Why CM Punk is more suitable as a face" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why CM Punk is more suitable as a face" to Google

Tags: cm punk, wwe
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I 100% agree, but the problem is he is so good at both, and for the first time in almost a decade Cena has a heel opponent that is his equal on the mic and can have very good matches with him. I like Punk as the anti-hero face as well, but Punk/Cena main events are gold whereas Cena/Miz, Cena/R-Truth, Cena/Orton, Cena/Etc., etc., etc. often has a boring build, with an even more boring match. In either instance, as a heel or a face, Punk needs to be a mainstay in the main event.
    wwe needs a heel punk, the only way to keep your face superstars interesting is to let them face really good heels, and punk is the best heel there is
    I agree he should be face. The problem is, how long can you ride that horse being that his return is what's going to garner the best reactions. As a face battling against Vicne McMahon he was good. But after McMahon, the battling w/ Johnny wasn't stellar, and they kept him overshadowed by Cena. I think Punk could work as a face....since as a heel, he was very weak both on the mic and with his constant screwjob wins. "I'm the Best" and counting the consecutive days as champion, was very bland and boring.
    Yeah I love Punk heel or face but it would just be a preference for certain feuds if he was face.
    Punk as an anti-hero, me against everyone face it what he should and probably will come back as. The thing of it is that, even hated, people cheer and respect Punk like no other wrestler in the business today. It doesn't matter what he's doing he gets the boos and cheers. He is the best overall performer in the WWE right now and everyone knows that except for the children who love guys like Cena, Sheamus, Brodus Clay, etc.

The day that Punk teams up with Cena and another boring face to battle the Shield, I will stop wrestling for awhile because that would be an instant injustice to the product and to the fans.
    Most crowds cheer him when he comes out anyway. But i agree 100% i like Punk as a face much better, also it gives the people that hate the Cena type guys someone to cheer for that's in the main event scene.
    Personally, I think Punk needs to be a face again as him and Cena are two of the best on the mic and WWE really needs a few good faces to be cheered. That said, WWE does have a few good heels that can talk on the mic now. Dean is great on the mic and now with Bray coming, that puts two younger stars with great mic skills right there who need pushing and what better way to push them then to have two faces with great mic skills as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.