View RSS Feed

BennyTheBall

Ramblings of a Madman: Just for the hell of it

Rate this Entry
It’s no secret that I am against the mentality of using WWE Superstars from days gone by to grab ratings. I am an advocate of making stars out of the current crop of workers that are there, and only using ‘Legends’ to put over new talent and develop storylines.

Raw 1000, for the most part, seemed to use the same thought process as me, and it was great to see. With Heath Slater ‘feuding’ with Legends over the past few weeks, it was great to see some of the old faces come back to bring some closure to that angle.

Of course, The Rock made his return and it was, again, great to see what could turn out to be a very interesting and intense storyline between CM Punk and The Great One. He most certainly was there to help bring closure the Daniels/Punk feud, help create a bridge to the Cena/Punk match, and if WWE are going the way we all assume they are, it will move on nicely to a feud between Rock and Punk.

All very good examples on how to use legends. Now can someone please explain to me the point of The Undertaker being there?

Kane stands in the ring and is about to be ambushed by some jobbers who have less collective wins this year than I have fingers. Out comes The Undertaker to a great reaction and it was great to see him and Kane kick ass. But seriously, was that it? The biggest name in the industry was used to beat up a few jobbers? Just for shits and giggles?

I know how important it was to have ‘taker at Raw 1000, but I am going to say something controversial – I would have left him off it, and here is the reason why: Brock Lesnar.

Now to me, Brock Lesnar is a waste of space and I would be more than happy to see him leave and never come back. He has a great talent, but he lost all my respect by saying “I believe God put me on this earth to be a professional wrestler” and his parting gift before going to the NFL? The match against Goldberg, where the only interesting thing that happened was Stone Cold Steve Austin delivering a couple of stunners. That match there was a lack of respect from both competitors to all who have supported them.

But now he’s back, and we make our way to Summerslam. Brock Lesnar vs. Triple H. If I was going to book this match, Brock Lesnar should completely annihilate Triple H, and I mean full on annihilate. Maybe even have Shawn Michaels come out for a failed save attempt. Match is over, Brock is declared the winner, and it would have been at this point where I would have bought back The Undertaker.

If you think back to The Undertaker vs Triple H at Wrestlemania, it was declared the end of an era. Now that three-way hug at the end of the match would actually help with a Lesnar/Undertaker feud, because ‘taker could come back to fight for the honour of that era, after seeing Triple H and Shawn Michaels badly beaten up.

This in no way helps puts new talent over, but let’s face it – Brock isn’t back to help breed the next generation. So instead, let’s have him bow down to those who bleed WWE blood.

More specifically, Brock Lesnar should bow down to The Undertaker.

Submit "Ramblings of a Madman: Just for the hell of it" to Digg Submit "Ramblings of a Madman: Just for the hell of it" to del.icio.us Submit "Ramblings of a Madman: Just for the hell of it" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ramblings of a Madman: Just for the hell of it" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Now this my friend is MY type of blog. I couldn't agree more with your views. Personally I felt goosebumps when Taker made his way down the ramp this past Monday. I too was left pondering; "What's the point of him just beating the sh*t out of a bunch of jobbers?!?!" Yes, we did get The Brothers of Destruction reuniting just one last time.... Yet why bring him back on such a monumental night, for such a mediocre reunion???

Having him return to feud with Lesnar the way you plotted it out would have been epic. Summerslam; HHH/Lesnar, Taker makes a return at the end to defend his era=GOLD!!!.

I'm glad someone out there shares my views.

Great blog bud. Looking forward to your next.
    Brilliant. I love it, my only worry would be Brock is notorious for being a bit of a stiff worker, and Taker's pretty beaten up from his 20+ years in the business, not sure a good 30-40 minute match could be sustained between the two today, but I may be wrong. He did last HITC at mania' this year so I suppose it's always possible...
    While it saddens me to have to go against my two friends who have commented on this blog...

I THINK YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN MIND!

Undertaker didn't need a reason to be there...he just needed to be there. Nostalgia purposes only. Just like DX, Bret Hart, APA, the legends on Heath Slater. We're not gonna see any of those guys again anytime soon either. I think it was the perfect segment for Undertaker.

And I would hate it if he fights Brock Lesnar. Taker is my all-time favorite, and I think he should seriously be done wrestling. I, unlike many in the IWC, am full on AGAINST a Taker/Lesnar match at WM. Why? Because by that point, Lesnar would have jobbed out enough and will have totally checked out and give us another "vs Golderberg" match.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    I THINK YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN MIND!
    Well, the title of my blog is 'Ramblings of a Madman', so yeah...you're right.

I understand your reservations on my views, and I too believe that 'taker should be done with in-ring activity. The problem is that he is not. This idea is just based on the fact that a Lesnar & Undertaker match is very likely.

If it was up to me, Lesnar vs 'taker would happen at Survivor Series, and the Wrestlemania match would be Brock vs Rock.

As for the segment being perfect for 'taker, I am going to stick by my guns and completely disagree with you. It was great to see him, but that segment was - in my honest opinion - borderline disrespectful. It was almost like creative thought "Oh, right. We forgot about Undertaker. Where can we squeeze him in?"
    I liked the blog man, but im just one of those guys that wishes there were more names kicking around right now about the future of the wwe other than taker, brock, rock and hunter. Thankfully though, i think the punk/rock feud, while being mostly via satelite, will bring forth some promo work the likes of which we havent really seen before and will hopefully FINAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY give the wwe the confidence to put CM punk in some goddamned main events where he belongs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyTheBall
    but that segment was - in my honest opinion - borderline disrespectful. It was almost like creative thought "Oh, right. We forgot about Undertaker. Where can we squeeze him in?"
    Perhaps. I mean, they definitely could have done something more, or bigger, with him. But you mention in your blog that it would have been better if he was left off the show. That's where I mostly disagree. I think they just needed something, anything, for him to do and the segment wasn't exactly the worst.

The problem with giving him something big to do is, they don't know what that "something" is yet because they don't know when/if he will be returning. I'm not sure I buy the fact that he will even be returning. Taker/Brock is just a rumor. It's not confirmed that he's defintely gonna wrestle again. He was walking gingerly down to the ring on Monday, and he was huffing and puffing at the end of that very short segment. All it take is one knee tweak during a workout and any plans for that WM match are off.

I take what's reported on here with very little merit.
    Taker/Kane was one of the top moments of RAW 1000. Did you not hear the 'this is awesome' chant from the crowd? Biggest reaction of the night. Even though I had a feeling where this was going when the 6 or 7 guys came out after Kane, when Taker's music hit I marked out!
    Brock....biggest problem with him is his limited dates. It limits what can be done with him. While people know who he is, he is not as 'over' as he was 8 years ago. Yes, Taker is part time now but he wasn't gone for 8 years and Taker has been over for 22 years now. WWE does not have to worry about getting him over every year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.