View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars Olympics: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)

Rate this Entry
Welcome to Blog Wars Olympics. This week Tommy Thunder will take on Dr. Death in what should be the most explosive match yet. Here is the list...

Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)

Tommy Thunder

First of all, great to get a chance to do this! Very nice idea that should be a good laugh!
Before I start, my knowledge beyond WWE is a bit sketchy. I have some limited knowledge of TNA, and even less so from other promotions such as ROH and Japanese, Mexican promotions, so you'll excuse me if I stick with what I know! So onto the topic of top 5 stables of the last 10 years.

#5: The Straight Edge Society

Not a very successful stable as far as winning titles went, but definitely an influential stable.

Impact of Stable:
To me, the Straight Edge Society made a great impact during their run. Previously, we'd seen Punk using his straight edge lifestyle as a face in ECW, but he managed to flip it to the polar opposite and use the gimmick to generate extreme hate. We saw Punk feuding with the likes of R-Truth, Matt Hardy, before moving on to the critically acclaimed feud with Rey Mysterio where we saw Punk at his best perhaps as a heel. During that feud Punk was brilliant IMO. I sincerely remember him singing happy birthday to Rey's daughter, one of the creepiest things I've ever seen/heard!
An iconic part of the stable of course was the initiation process of shaving the hair. We also got to see Luke Gallows back in a prominent role, and looking in fantastic shape after loosing a tremendous amount of weight since his Festus days. We also got to see Serena, a very good female wrestler.
It's a shame that the group finished at the hands of a 3 vs 1 handicap loss to Big Show, having not won any titles at all. It would have been awesome to see Punk as the WHC during the stable's run, and I think that Gallows and Mercury had potential as a tag team too.

Quality of promos:
No doubt that the SES days were Punk's hay-day as a heel in WWE. He was simply excellent, generating so much heat that people actually really hated him and the straight edge lifestyle. The rest of the group didn't really cut promos, but it didn't matter since they were meant to just stand there and listen to their 'saviour'; CM Punk preaching.

Titles:
As I mentioned, they didn't win any titles during their run, but I don't think that takes away from them.

Ability to generate heat:
Punk generated so much heat during the SES days, it was unbelievable at times. As I said, he was so diabolical he made people actually really hate him and the straight edge lifestyle.

Aftermath:
Well only Punk remains in WWE as an active competitor, and I'm sure we're all aware of what he's gone on to do, becoming a 2 time WWE Champion since the stable ended. Gallows was released, harshly IMO since he'd made a fantastic effort to lose a ton of weight before joining the SES, and for a big guy he could really move around the ring pretty fast. Serena was released (I cant' remember why). Another waste given that she was actually a good wrestler. And Joey Mercury's now a trainer in FCW. A good role for him given his experience.

#4: Legacy

The stable of multi-generation superstars headed by Randy Orton.

Impact:
When Orton stated his intention to create The Legacy with Rhodes and Manu, you knew that there was something big in the works. We then saw Sim Snuka also attempting to join, and so we saw Orton making each guy earn their spot. After Rhodes got in, while Manu and Snuka failed, the latter 2 tried to get Rhodes to help them take out Orton, only for Rhodes to refuse. However, they brought out Ted Dibiase to help them take out Orton and Rhodes, only for DiBiase to turn on them and join Rhodes and Orton. From here, Legacy was born.
They'd go on to have high profile feuds with the McMahon family (Vince, Shane, Stephanie) as well as HHH, Batista and Kofi Kingston and DX.

Quality of promos:
While I don't think that none of the 3 members are particulary good on the mic, Orton was the main spearhead of the mic work and at least when he's heel as in this group, he can cut a half decent promo.

Titles:
They were actually quite successful as far as titles went. We saw Rhodes and Dibiase winning the tag titles twice, while Orton won the WWE Championship 3 times along with winning the 2009 Royal Rumble.

Drawing heat:
Like I said earlier, none of the 3 emmbers were great on the mic (IMO), but their agenda was enough to draw sufficient heat. Plus it helped that they were feuding against superstars that people cared about such as the McMahon family and HHH. And things like Punting Shane in the head, punting HHH in the head, and kissing Stephanie after RKO'ing here in front of a handcuffed HHH drew massive heat as you could imagine. So the group drew good heat.

Aftermath:
Well, Orton has since gone on to win more titles, after a face turn that's made him blander than bread.
Dibiase has also turned face and has actually feuded with Rhodes in a mini feud. While WWE are desperately trying to get people to like Ted, I'm not sure if it's going to happen. I suspect that when he comes back from his injury this will be his last chance to make or break.
Rhodes on the other hand since Legacy has come leaps and bounds, and is now on the cusp of the main event scene. He's recently enjoyed a very long IC title run and has enjoyed feuds and wins against top guys, like beating Mysterio at Wrestlemania 28, and feuding with Randy Orton last year. Rhodes is well on his way to becoming a big star in WWE.

#3: Main Event Mafia

One of the few stables in TNA that I have some knowledge of given that I made the effort to read into it.
They were basically a stable consisting of all the top performers, legends of the industry: Kurt Angle at the helm, with Booker T, Kevin Nash, Scott Steiner and Sting, with Samoa Joe joining later.

Impact:
When you have a group with the stars named in it, you're bound to have a big impact. When they declared 'war' on the younger talent of TNA,and vowed to stamp them down, you knew that some serious shit was about to go down! They would go on a run of beating down the younger talent of the company, in order for them to hang on to the spotlight. Basically doing what we as fans didn't want to see.

Quality of promos:
In this group, you have some very good mic workers (IMO). Kurt Angle I think is very good on the mic, easy to hate as a heel particularly. Kevin Nash is a decent mic worker, Scott Steiner I find hilarious on the mic! I also think Booker's got decent mic skills, as has Sting. So for me, the quality of promos from the group was of a pretty high standard really.

Titles:
We saw the group accumulating many titles during their run. Booker won the Legends title once, while Nash one it once. Booker and Steiner won the tag titles once. Sting and Angle won a world title each. Angle won the King of the Mountain. And we saw Samoa Joe winning the X division title once. A pretty successful haul if you ask me!

Drawing heat:
No problem here. As a group that was squashing younger talent, they were easy to hate, since we as fans want to see companies building new stars, so seeing the older guys stopping that progress because they were bitter about that happening at their expense was easy to hate.

Aftermath:
Well we've seen each guy go on to achieve success after the MEM days. Angle's gone on to win a couple of World titles, as has Sting. Nash and Booker left the company eventually, both coming back to WWE, with Booker being a lot more involved that Nash. Booker's now a commentator and occasional wrestler while Nash seems to have had his last hurrah with his feud against HHH which ended with a surprisingly good ladder match. Steiner left the company only to come back again to be used to put over younger talent, and has since left again. He's now a full time hardcore TNA hater as seen by his AWESOME twitter rants! and finally Joe is, well, I'm not actually sure what the hell TNA are doing with Samoa Joe these days.

#2: Evolution

Just creeping into the bracket of past 10 years, is Evolution. One of my favorite stables in a LONG time.

Impact of stable:
When this stable formed in 2002, you just knew that they were destined for greatness and domination. You had HHH (one of the company's top dogs), Ric Flair (a living legend), Batista (a huge behemoth of a guy) and Randy Orton (well, he's called Orton) making up a 4 horsemen-esque lineup. And that's exactly what Evolution was, a modern take on the Horsemen. We saw them dominate and win several singles titles and tag titles during their time, and they dominated WWE in true stable fashion.

Quality of promos:
We know that HHH is good on the mic, and his heel persona is certainly his forte, and during the Evolution years, we saw this come through better than ever. We all also know about Ric Flair's ability on the mic, no need to highlight how good he was. We did however see Randy Orton further develop during these years. Under the wing on HHH and Flair he was tutored by 2 of the greats, and we saw him develop into a mature talent, shown in his mic work during this period.

Titles:
We saw Evolution winning all sorts of titles during their tenure. At one point of course, we saw the whole grou holding titles, with HHH as the WHC, Orton as the IC Champion, and Flair and Batista holding the World Tag team Championships. Amongst other complishments, we saw Batista winning the 2005 Royal Rumble (which ultimately led to him leaving the group later on).

Ability to draw heat:
There's no question that these guys were able to draw heat. Flair and HHH's mic skill on it's own was enough to do this, but also Flair's constant ringside interference in matches was a factor. Randy Orton's 'Legend Killer' gimmick was also in full swing at the time he joined, and this would have contributed to the heat he drew to the group.

Success in the aftermath:
Well it goes without saying that each member has gone on to great success after Evolution. HHH continued to be one of the top guys in WWE for years to come, winning many more World and WWE titles. Batista went on to become a regular main eventer, also winning multiple championships. But the biggest benefiter from Evolution was Orton, as it springboarded him to become the big star he is today. After winning that first World Championship (that got him thrown out of the group) he's gone on to become a regular main event star in WWE where he continues to be today (although there's a slight doubt he'll be pushed quite so hard upon returning from his suspension). Orton has even gone on to start his own faction that draws similarities to Evolution in the form of Legacy.
Flair went on to continue in WWE, eventually 'ending' with his match against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania. He was inducted into the HOF, twice, and has since wrestled more matches both for WWE and TNA. I expect to see Flair back on WWE tv as soon as WWE and TNA sort out their lawsuit.

#1: The Nexus/New Nexus

Impact of stable:
I don't think anyone can deny that this group made a pretty big impact upon their debut. We all saw them competing during the first season of NXT and only picked out one or 2 as having any real future in WWE, but when they made their debut on the main roster back during the main event match at the Viewers choice Raw back in 2010 between CM Punk and John Cena.
We saw the group, led by Wade Barrett, attacking both Punk and his SES, Cena, attacking ringside personnel, tearing apart the ring and ringside area and causing general havoc.
This was one of the most shocking and impactfull debuts in WWE for quite some time.
We later saw CM Punk take over the group and some various member changes as the group dwindled out. But during their height, Nexus and the reborn New Nexus were pretty good stables IMO.

Quality of promos:
Wade Barrett took the lead in cutting the promos, and it's fair to say that it solidified what we already knew from what we saw on NXT from him; that he was a guy that was ready for the big stage. You could see that he was comfortable on the mic and he did a great job as the main mouthpiece of the group.
We also saw Michael Tarver as the second go-to guy for promos for the group, and IMO, he was actually pretty good on the mic too (it's a shame that he was released IMO).
With CM Punk later in charge, the group of course had a great mouthpiece as we know how good Punk is on the mic, especially as a heel.
Nobody else from the group got any time on the mic worth noting, but Barrett and Tarver's contribution was more than enough really, given that Barrett, and later Punk, were the leaders.

Titles:
Nexus didn't win any titles worth noting during their run really. 3 tag team title reigns was the height of their success, with Cena and Otunga winning the first, Slater and Gabriel winning the second, and finally Otunga and McGillicutty wining the third.
We did however see the group utilized to ensure that their respective leaders; Barrett and Punk, got title shots, albeit they were unsuccessful in winning any singles titles.

Ability to generate heat:
Well there's no doubt that The Nexus were able to generate heat, both in their original form and as the New Nexus. Their debut left us all stunned, and from there on they were an easy target to hate. Their actions were things that easily drew heat.
In their new form, CM Punk's ability to draw heat I think played the biggest part in people prolonging their heat.

Success in the aftermath:
Several former Nexus members have gone on to achieve great success in WWE since the disillusion of the group. We've seen Wade Barrett receiving a pretty good push on Smackdown, winning the Intercontinental title along the way. Unfortunate to receive an injury just as he was on the cusp of getting a shot at the big prize, but many expect him to pick up where he left off upon returning.
CM Punk of course has gone on to great things and has won 2 WWE titles since leaving the group. The second of which he currently holds and has held for getting on 250 days now.
The nest most successful member has to be Daniel Bryan. Although you could argue that he was only a member for one night, he was an official member, thus why I'm counting him. He's of course won the United States title and most importantly the WHC, which he held for over 100 days, and he's also received a few WWe title shots in recent months, and is now an important main event star in WWE.
Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel have gone on to amass 3 tag team title reigns in total, holding the titles for 100 days in combined reigns. Both are now singles wrestlers on the main roster.
John Cena has, well, been John Cena since leaving the group. Nuff said lol!
McGillicutty and Otunga went on to hold the tag titles for just over 90 days. Otunga has gone on to receive good exposure on the Raw brand as Johnny Ace's legal advisor, while McGillicutty has fallen down the card, but is highly regarded as a future prospect, and is tearing things up on NXT.
Skip Sheffield was of course injured, forcing him out of the group, but has since come back as the repackaged Ryback, and is receiving a pretty substantial push.
Darren Young is the final guy who's gone on to relative success. After languishing on NXT he's finally found his place forming a tag team with Titus O'Neill known as the Prime Time Players.

That's it for part 1 of the list Dr. Death's list will be in another blog due to character limits.

Submit "Blog Wars Olympics: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars Olympics: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars Olympics: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars Olympics: Top 5 Stables (2002-2012)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well done Tommy!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.