View RSS Feed

TheGreatOne

Top 10 worst moments in Summerslam history!!

Rate this Entry
Some regard Summerslam as the #2 ppv of the big 4 behind Wrestlemania. It has had its great moments some would call best match in the history of the business. You also have Summerslam ppvs in some believe is the best wrestling ppv in the history of the WWE. All in all like all traditional ppvs....you have some flops and bad moments even the best ppvs like Starrcade and Wrestlemania have terrible moments. I'll give my worst like I have for Wrestlemania here. Here is my top 10 worst moments in Summerslam history:

1.Stone Cold breaks neck-For those who may have not saw the match vs Owen Hart. You could tell something was wrong. Biggest star in the WWE at that time got hurt, but got more popular because he got mic time and no in ring work. He and Sting got more popular by not wrestling during the year of 97. Fav wrestler all-time injures his neck at the event obviously in my opinion is the worst moment in the history of Summerslam.

2.Goldberg loses-Goldberg going in to the Chamber of 2003 was undefeated in a world title match. He destroys everything in his path. Fans going nuts and you think like they do while watching the ppv live that he was going to win the world title. Instead they save it for the next ppv which in my opinion was a huge mistake. Another way of HHH holding guys back. 2002-2003 run really turns you against him.

3.Luger's celebration after DQ-Luger is built up to be the one to defeat Yokozuna at Summerslam 93 I believe. Remember folks, he slammed Yokozuna on Raw that year. He challenges Yokozuna for the WWE title and wins by DQ. He didn't win the title. What happens when wrestlers when by DQ in a championship match? More likely than not they are po along with the fans. Instead you get all the wrestlers in the back in the ring putting Luger on their shoulders as confetti falls while waving the American Flag after a DQ victory.

4.Undertaker vs Undertaker-Summerslam 94 you got Ted Dibiase controlling the Undertaker and Bearer with another. Which one is the real one? Terrible match in the main event. Instead of having Owen vs Bret in the Steel Cage match for the WWE title. We have that as the main event? I have a lot of respect for Undertaker, but his moments at Summerslam were terrible. He had some of the worst matches in the history of Summerslam.

5.Undertaker vs Giant Gonzalez-Probably one of the worst fueds in the history of the wrestling business. It was voted worst rivalry of that year. It was the last meeting between the two at Summerslam was the only thing positive from the match. It was that terrible folks.

6.Orton loses to Hogan-I was on the bandwagon of the Legend Killers wanting him to beat Hogan at that Summerslam. Cheering after he pinned him for the 3, but they ended up restarting the match making Orton job for Hogan. You see Hogan saying Rock should job for Cena when he can't do the same for the other young guys.

7.Matt Hardy Loses to Edge-The fued of the year beginning at Summerslam. Personally, I thought the fued ended way too soon, but probably the drama caused in the back forced the fued to end a bit early. Lita retired because you screwed Matt from fans continued where she couldn't even take her dog out to do its business. I was pulling for Matt to win, but I didn't see Matt as a main event talent as I did Edge at the time. The match was stopped in just a number of minutes.

8.Nexus loses-I don't hate Cena, dislike him or WWE, but Nexus losing at Summerslam shocked me because I wanted Nexus to dominate for a while, but was quickly beat. Cena ending up joining Nexus due to a loss was a plus, but him getting out of Nexus after a short period sucked. I thought it should have ended with Barrett vs Cena match for the title at Wrestlemania. Instead, we have Batista job for Cena til he leaves. I thought Nexus led by Punk sucked. I think it had more to do with the members than Punk himself. I did however enjoyed Rumble 2011 domination o.

9.HBK vs Vader/Cena vs Orton-Why 2 matches? They ended virtually the same way restarting more times than I care to count. It was stupid and ridiculous. I didn't want Orton vs Cena for that particular Summerslam and Vader should have left with the WWE title. Instead HBK gets his way and jobs for a friend at Survivor Series and wins it back in just about 2 months.

10.Mabel/Diesel main event-Arguably the worst main event in the history of Summerslam. According to Mabel recently, he was the one who was suppose to win the match, but politics stopped it from happening. He won the King of the Ring that year as well. Than again, were we expecting a solid match from Big Lazy facing a 500 pounder?

Honorable mention-Rock in the midcard?1999

Certainly one could argue other moments should be on the list like Kane as a dentist vs Bret Hart, Nailz vs Bossman and I could go on. These ones that made the list seems more meaningful because they were built around Summerslam unlike those types of matches. Most of them I have on here were main event quality Summerslam moments that ended in terrible fashion. Hopefully you enjoyed. Did I miss something that you would put in your top 10 worst moments in Summerslam history? Feel free to leave it in the comment section. I may end up putting my top 10 best Summerslam matches in my next blog. See ya soon.....

Submit "Top 10 worst moments in Summerslam history!!" to Digg Submit "Top 10 worst moments in Summerslam history!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 10 worst moments in Summerslam history!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 10 worst moments in Summerslam history!!" to Google

Updated 07-19-2012 at 02:45 PM by TheGreatOne (title)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

no. 8 pissed me off when I watched it. They come in and then lose? what is the point of that? supercena wins in the end, supercena beats barrett again at TLC and then super orton picks up the pieces and totally destroys whats left. stupid ass direction. so much for domination lol
    Typically, you do decent blogs...but what's up with all the mentions of backstage politics? You do understand that it's scripted and the wrestler who's..."being held back" or "jobbing out" knew what was going to happen going in. And they still get paid what their contract is worth.

It cracks me up when people talk about guys like Ziggles being held back and all that. No he's not. He's getting paid, and doing what he's written to do. He's not sad about it. It's a show. It's not real like a sporting event, where there's actual competition to get the championship. It's a scripted, television show. Plain and Simple.

Enjoy the show man....forget the politics. If there was no internet, you wouldn't know about them anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    Typically, you do decent blogs...but what's up with all the mentions of backstage politics? You do understand that it's scripted and the wrestler who's..."being held back" or "jobbing out" knew what was going to happen going in. And they still get paid what their contract is worth.

It cracks me up when people talk about guys like Ziggles being held back and all that. No he's not. He's getting paid, and doing what he's written to do. He's not sad about it. It's a show. It's not real like a sporting event, where there's actual competition to get the championship. It's a scripted, television show. Plain and Simple.

Enjoy the show man....forget the politics. If there was no internet, you wouldn't know about them anyway.
    Exactly! You made the point I've wanted to make for a long time.
    How about the 'no hitting in the face' rule of HBK vs. Rick Martel at summerslam 92? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lonce
    How about the 'no hitting in the face' rule of HBK vs. Rick Martel at summerslam 92? LOL
    Forgot bout that one

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.